Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

FizFashizzle posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with this country

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/939014159726870530

this cop got off

I don't really have words for that. Cop needed to get the death penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
That cop shooting video is horrific. I don't have words.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't really have words for that. Cop needed to get the death penalty.

Someone could go murder that cop and no jury would ever convict them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

this cop got off

quote:

Brailsford told jurors that he was terrified for the safety of officers and a woman who in the hallway. He also said he felt "incredibly sad" for Shaver.

Imagine for a second this total fiction was true and he deserved to be acquitted. We have somehow managed to hire one of the most cowardly people in the world as a police officer.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Wow. That cop was way too amped to shoot that kid.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah I'm not watching that because it is too early in the morning to watch someone die.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My favorite police shooting is still the mental health aide who was trying to explain to the officer that his patient was developmentally delayed and couldn’t understand the cop’s instructions, and that he was holding a toy train and not a gun. After very calmly and clearly following the directive to get on the ground with his hands out, the officer shoots the aide, who thankfully wasn’t killed and yells “why did you do that?”, and the officer yells back in a baffled voice “I don’t know!”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

My favorite police shooting is still the mental health aide who was trying to explain to the officer that his patient was developmentally delayed and couldn’t understand the cop’s instructions, and that he was holding a toy train and not a gun. After very calmly and clearly following the directive to get on the ground with his hands out, the officer shoots the aide, who thankfully wasn’t killed and yells “why did you do that?”, and the officer yells back in a baffled voice “I don’t know!”

He had three shots with a rifle from like 50 yards resting on the hood of his car to hit a stationary target.

He missed on all three, one time hitting the CNA. lol

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

gently caress the police. for real.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I don't even know how you fix these fundamental issues with law enforcement. Everyone wants police to wear body cameras, and yeah, they're a good idea (though no one has managed to implement them in a satisfactory way so far), but even when there is footage of straight up murder the cops get off because the footage wasn't shown in court or a juror comes from a law enforcement family or a juror thinks, "If you didn't want to be shot maybe you shouldn't have been speeding and you wouldn't have been pulled over to begin with!!!"

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Thaddius the Large posted:

I remember this video - that video enraged me.

My uncle was under sheriff, and his father was sheriff, of a huge county in Florida - over 1.3 million residents - and he told me years ago that policing was becoming more militarized in training and tactics, and he worried it would create a division.

Welp R.I.P. Uncle pat Bc you called it

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

I don't even know how you fix these fundamental issues with law enforcement. Everyone wants police to wear body cameras, and yeah, they're a good idea (though no one has managed to implement them in a satisfactory way so far), but even when there is footage of straight up murder the cops get off because the footage wasn't shown in court or a juror comes from a law enforcement family or a juror thinks, "If you didn't want to be shot maybe you shouldn't have been speeding and you wouldn't have been pulled over to begin with!!!"

Believe it or not the last point is what you really fight when you’re in a criminal defense situation. People will hate your client to death based on one of many variables and the prosecution will absolutely make the cop out to be this beautiful family man. It’s disgusting.

I shouldn’t have watched that video. I always get so angry at seeing someone get gunned down in those situations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ehud posted:

Make a deal with the cops. If you really think you're innocent you can go to trial, but if you're found not guilty you forfeit the right to protection from a vigilante mob. However if you plead guilty we (the state) will keep you from being dragged out into the street and beaten to death with hammers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

axeil posted:

Make a deal with the cops. If you really think you're innocent you can go to trial, but if you're found not guilty you forfeit the right to protection from a vigilante mob. However if you plead guilty we (the state) will keep you from being dragged out into the street and beaten to death with hammers.

I suspect there might be some civil rights issues here in the opposite direction we're used to them going, but I'm ok with giving it a test run on the guy from the latest video.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

I remember this video - that video enraged me.

My uncle was under sheriff, and his father was sheriff, of a huge county in Florida - over 1.3 million residents - and he told me years ago that policing was becoming more militarized in training and tactics, and he worried it would create a division.

Welp R.I.P. Uncle pat Bc you called it

The police militarization post 9/11 is incredibly hosed, but this has been going on for forever, just look at the history of the LAPD, Chicago, New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia or St. Louis police departments for starters. People are just now getting video of what activists have been screaming about for the last century.

Policing of minorities has always been incredibly hosed, and there's no realistic way to fix it. You'd have to de-militarize, disarm, break the ability of forces to hire scum, and fix the systemic racial segregation that allows police to have a white face and black face.

I mean, in a more perfect world, we'd disarm the police, have them wearing robin's blue uniforms and have them walking their neighborhoods like it's the Andy Griffith show, but there's no real political will to do it, and the groups asking for even the most basic reforms like BLM are demonized to an incredible degree.

The government isn't even capable of counting police murders: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/11/police-killings-counted-harvard-study

The only thing you can realistically do is never the trust the word of a cop on a jury.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Gettin into the Christmas spirit y’all

BARK BARK BARK

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I can never hear that song because there's no way it's as good as the song I'm imagining

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

I can never hear that song because there's no way it's as good as the song I'm imagining

Honestly yeah it’s pretty good but I had such higher expectations. When I saw it I thought he’d done a whole Christmas album and was sad when he hadn’t

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
haha drat

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah I'm not watching that because it is too early in the morning to watch someone die.
I'm not watching it period

E:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/939149296389251072

MAGAA

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 8, 2017

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Eli Wiggum posted:

I'm not watching it period

a good decision cause even if you skip the murder part, the verbal abuse is pretty gross.

what’s the background on why the police were even called there? noise complaint?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

FizFashizzle posted:

this cop got off

Yeah, but what happened later in court?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Also the best Christmas songs are Sinatra's Mistletoe and Holly and Bing Crosby's version of Christmas in Killarney.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Refusing to watch things like this is complicit in how they get away with it

This isn't like watching a nasty sports injury

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

FizFashizzle posted:

this cop got off

Honestly, I guess whenever the cop won't stop aiming a gun at your head you just pee yourself and play dead because the alternative requires moving

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

you notice there hasn't been any like completely new holiday standards since mariah

that's 20+ years

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

Refusing to watch things like this is complicit in how they get away with it

This isn't like watching a nasty sports injury
It's less about being grossed out and more about not wanting to froth in rage for the rest of the day.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Vertical Lime posted:

you notice there hasn't been any like completely new holiday standards since mariah

that's 20+ years

Someone posted a rant about how everything Christmas that we do is based off baby boomers reliving their childhood Christmas and I wish I could reread it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
cross posting because this thread can use some happy stuff

LSU got snow :3:

https://twitter.com/hscheinukphoto/status/939130699214409728

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

that's 20+ years

My holiday standard is Death Cab for Cutie's "Baby Please Come Home" (although it's technically a cover of U2, they do it better)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hzq3gLEYAc

That and celebrating Snowflake Jake

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

cross posting because this thread can use some happy stuff

LSU got snow :3:

https://twitter.com/hscheinukphoto/status/939130699214409728

Man he's grown up a ton. Where is that pic of him before the season started where he looked like a really big puppy?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What would you guys say are your best strengths as a person

- I'm really good at listening. I can sit and listen to someone talk for hours without wanting to interject, or losing focus.

- If I drop something, I always catch it. I have an amazing ability to catch something before it hits the ground. If you knock a coffee mug off your desk and I'm standing next to it, I will always catch it. Keys, phone, soap in the shower, lighters...they never hit the floor if I am nearby

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One critical step to police reform will be internalizing and accepting - for everyone and especially for police departments and officers themselves - the basic concept that police officers are expected and duty-bound to put themselves in immediate, mortal danger in order to protect the lives of suspects. Not just whoever they immediately identify as innocent bystanders, but the actual suspects themselves.

That's just way too far for most people and definitely for most cops. They're trained to shoot whenever they "feel" like they're in danger, and that's too lax of a standard.

A police officer should be thinking "I may get shot here but until someone's actively shooting at me I can't be sure: I'll use nonlethal force." Not "that person might have a gun: I'll use lethal force."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Obviously my biggest strength is my amazing posting ability
I also have the power of having the best opinions

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I have the ability to be nice to everyone I meet even if I hate them.

Like when I met Manas he probably thought I liked him but inside I was thinking "man what a dill weed"

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Joey Freshwater posted:

Like when I met Manas he probably thought I liked him but inside I was thinking "man what a dill weed"
the feeling is mutual :grin:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

- I'm really good at listening. I can sit and listen to someone talk for hours without wanting to interject, or losing focus.

- If I drop something, I always catch it. I have an amazing ability to catch something before it hits the ground. If you knock a coffee mug off your desk and I'm standing next to it, I will always catch it. Keys, phone, soap in the shower, lighters...they never hit the floor if I am nearby

I’m pretty emotionally dead inside, and even when I’m at my angriest I can’t stay mad for more than like 10 minutes. That’s probably also my biggest weakness, but you find ways to make it work for you.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Eli Wiggum posted:

the feeling is mutual :grin:

:hfive:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
^^ :glomp:

The one thing about myself that I am working on is being present and to stop ruminating about trivial past events.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lol my wife is obsessed with Fiona the Hippo from the Cincy zoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://twitter.com/desusnice/status/387680876898709504

• Locked thread