Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I thought the Prince fight was actually pretty cool. I don't mind multi-person bosses, but I agree that it's bullshit when a single boss has multiple health bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think it was the Bonefire Side chat guys who said if you lose one or two of your estus to the dragon you might as well give up, which I agree with.

I don't. Nameless King isn't impossible or anything, he just hits hard and has to be learned like any other hard boss.

For me the difficulty arises because you have to start learning the NK fight while you're still figuring out King of the Storm. Each time you get to NK you have more health to play with because you're getting better at fighting KotS, but the first few times you get to the second phase, yeah, you're gonna be out of Estus and he's gonna gently caress you up. It does feel like a bit of an artificial difficulty wall, especially at first, and it's definitely one of the points where the game is a little disrespectful of your time (to borrow another phrase from Bonfireside Chat).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Faux Mulder posted:

I don't. Nameless King isn't impossible or anything, he just hits hard and has to be learned like any other hard boss.

For me the difficulty arises because you have to start learning the NK fight while you're still figuring out King of the Storm. Each time you get to NK you have more health to play with because you're getting better at fighting KotS, but the first few times you get to the second phase, yeah, you're gonna be out of Estus and he's gonna gently caress you up. It does feel like a bit of an artificial difficulty wall, especially at first, and it's definitely one of the points where the game is a little disrespectful of your time (to borrow another phrase from Bonfireside Chat).

I feel like this is balanced by the run back from the bonfire being super short. NK is like my favorite fight in the game though

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

On the other hand there is literally no bonfire walk for the NK. But DS3 is pretty lenient on those anyway.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I think I really prefer bosses that gain new abilities or especially are more likely to use new abilities as their health goes down, to the direct Phase 1, now Phase 2! of Ds3.

Nameless king is actually a pretty good example if you discount the dragon part - he has a phase transition halfway through but there's no new healthbar or flashy sailor moon transition - he just starts using new attacks.

Gundyr's also gets a pass because it just looks like he's getting really pissed and about to kick your rear end. And then he gets really pissed and kicks your rear end. It also doesn't have a cutscene or large particle effect or whatever.

Also I miss stuff like being able to have a degree of control over the bosses' transitions - like Fume Knight's sword heating up.

A lot of that was put by the wayside in DS3 to make every boss have some sort of "Awesome" transition to a new, even more finaller form. And I think it achieved the opposite of what it was intended: when every boss looks special, no one is.

Elfriede's rising from the dead could have been a holy poo poo moment, but instead it just got an eye roll and an "of course. again."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah I love that fight but I think it's a really bad idea that she is in the second part. Ariandel is the coolest part of the whole fight IMO so make him a real fight instead of giving him a comatose partner. Then it's more dramatic when she stands up for phase three.

Though I think it is kind of cute that the other ashen one you fight never loving dies like you

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

The first time she stands up its a surprise, bc your given a slab, etc. And your just standing there like I did it I guess Then the narration kicks in and she goes ssj

It was cool and I love that fight and im going to marry it when I grow up

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I like DS 3 so much I bought DS 1 on ps3.... looking forward to it.

Got it for $9 by mistake at gamestop. It had a DS2 sticker on it. When I asked the guy to make sure it was the first one he was like ooh no, looked it up and DS1 was actually $25. Still got it for $9 because that's what it initially was. Felt like a win to me.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I want ds1 to work on ps4. I want or now.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

The PC version of DS1 is great after DSFix and the multiplayer fix whatever it is

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

lite_sleepr posted:

I want ds1 to work on ps4. I want or now.

omg samesies.

Sadly, based on the experience I had trying to play SotFS with PSNow, PSNow is not a viable option. It felt like swimming in molasses. Felt like roughly 250ms from button press to action on-screen.

I was hoping to eventually be able to get rid of my PS3 but until Demon's and DS1, and Mass Effect 1-3 are all remastered - I guess not.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I am so not buying a lady gen console to play old games.

I will probably do this.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

HaB posted:

omg samesies.

Sadly, based on the experience I had trying to play SotFS with PSNow, PSNow is not a viable option. It felt like swimming in molasses. Felt like roughly 250ms from button press to action on-screen.

I was hoping to eventually be able to get rid of my PS3 but until Demon's and DS1, and Mass Effect 1-3 are all remastered - I guess not.

But SotFS is available on PS4?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Imo, if you want to praise two princes, just go ahead now.

I absolutely loved it. The music is epic and mournful. The character design is pure dark souls - he's a huge warrior towering over you in glorious armour, but he's still grievously maimed and his brother is a cripple. It captures the feeling of a decayed world more than any boss since the Gaping Dragon.

As to the fight, I like how the two stages are seemingly similar but force you to re-evaluate your fighting style. When it's just the big Prince it's very easy to dodge under his sword and stab him in the front. Adding the second Prince changes how you dodge, the emphasis is now on getting behind him and stabbing the little prick. The laser beam/butterfly attacks force you to start using the pillars to your advantage, when before they were just an inconvenience. And the combination of teleporting and ranged attacks completely changes the threat profile of the encounter - it's still technically one enemy, but now you have attacks coming from multiple directions.

Similar to the Abyss Watchers - the flaming sword adds a trail to the standard attacks, so the angles of your dodges have to be adapted. So many times I dodged INTO the fire and got blown up. The safest thing to do is to dodge INSIDE the fire and go full man-mode. Which is terrifying, and visually awesome.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I absolutely loved it. The music is epic and mournful. The character design is pure dark souls - he's a huge warrior towering over you in glorious armour, but he's still grievously maimed and his brother is a cripple. It captures the feeling of a decayed world more than any boss since the Gaping Dragon.

As to the fight, I like how the two stages are seemingly similar but force you to re-evaluate your fighting style. When it's just the big Prince it's very easy to dodge under his sword and stab him in the front. Adding the second Prince changes how you dodge, the emphasis is now on getting behind him and stabbing the little prick. The laser beam/butterfly attacks force you to start using the pillars to your advantage, when before they were just an inconvenience. And the combination of teleporting and ranged attacks completely changes the threat profile of the encounter - it's still technically one enemy, but now you have attacks coming from multiple directions.

Similar to the Abyss Watchers - the flaming sword adds a trail to the standard attacks, so the angles of your dodges have to be adapted. So many times I dodged INTO the fire and got blown up. The safest thing to do is to dodge INSIDE the fire and go full man-mode. Which is terrifying, and visually awesome.

Pleas don't encourage cjacobs

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Bombadilillo posted:

But SotFS is available on PS4?

Yeah I know, and I own it. I just saw it on PSNow and gave it a whirl to see how it would feel if it were streamed. Not good, that's how.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

HaB posted:

Yeah I know, and I own it. I just saw it on PSNow and gave it a whirl to see how it would feel if it were streamed. Not good, that's how.

Does it share the online community with the PS4 version?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Inspector_666 posted:

They should do another Mirror Knight thing and let the boss summon real people.

And then having the summons troll the host by healing the boss.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought the Prince fight was actually pretty cool. I don't mind multi-person bosses, but I agree that it's bullshit when a single boss has multiple health bars.

Sounds like me the other day after not playing for a couple of months.

"I totally just kicked soul of cinder's rear end on NG++... oh wait, gently caress."

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

lite_sleepr posted:

I am so not buying a lady gen console to play old games.

I will probably do this.

drat do I hate lady gen consoles.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

hanales posted:

Does it share the online community with the PS4 version?

Why would the PS3 version share the community with the PS4 version? That makes no sense. Even disregarding that, they're not even the same game even though they have the same name.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

hanales posted:

Pleas don't encourage cjacobs

It makes me wonder how many people realize it. I think every post about Lorian and Lothric I've made itt has been a joke about Spin Doctors and now I know how it feels when you've got one, two posters kneeling before you, that's what I said now!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

...! posted:

Why would the PS3 version share the community with the PS4 version? That makes no sense. Even disregarding that, they're not even the same game even though they have the same name.

Jeez sorry I didn't know. So does it share the online community with the PS3 version then, you jagoff?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

It makes me wonder how many people realize it. I think every post about Lorian and Lothric I've made itt has been a joke about Spin Doctors and now I know how it feels when you've got one, two posters kneeling before you, that's what I said now!

It's made me laugh every time I'm surprised no one else noticed it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It helps that I also think it's a cool boss fight. :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Buying a PS3 for ds1 and demons souls is a very sound decision. They both hold up extremely well.

Also you can then buy the Metal Gear Solid and Ico/SOTC HD collections :getin:

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 13, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I do enjoy that the fight relies on the old stand by of dodge around the thing, which ds3 loves to punish so I just dodge away like a lameo and unlearn the lesson from the Taurus demon all those years ago.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is the current multiplayer meta still SL120? Or has it increased?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I've almost completed my replay of DS1; just have Bed of Chaos (ugh) and Gwyn left. Gotta say that after all the praise, I was pretty disappointed with the DLC. Way too short with easy bosses. I beat Sanctuary Guardian on the first try, Artorias on the third try, Manus on the second try, and Kalameet on the second try.

The worst thing was Artorias. After all the buildup throughout the game about what a badass he was, I expected an epic battle against Artorias in his prime which would take me many tries to figure out. Instead I got that hollowed out, lethargic bullshit. Not such a badass anymore, apparently. Sad.

Edit: Although I did like how Chester gets all pissy when you talk to him after killing him when he invades you. Dude, YOU invaded ME.

...! fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 13, 2017

...!
Oct 5, 2003

hanales posted:

Jeez sorry I didn't know. So does it share the online community with the PS3 version then, you jagoff?

Wow, someone's a bit sensitive. No, it doesn't.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Artorius is the fasted enemy in ds1. Everything in ds3 is loving light speed though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

...! posted:

drat do I hate lady gen consoles.

Auto correct!!!! Late isn't a misspelled word either why would it change it :confused:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Also, I feel like DS3 forgot that it could throw in fun bosses that didn't have to be challenging as long as they were fun. What I'm saying is bring back skeleton lords.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Deacons were the skeleton lords

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The Deacons are also more fun than the skeleton lords

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Giant Isopod posted:

Also, I feel like DS3 forgot that it could throw in fun bosses that didn't have to be challenging as long as they were fun. What I'm saying is bring back skeleton lords.

I think the Abyss Watchers fight is really fun, first phase moreso than the second.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
You all liked the skeleton lords? It was in such a weird location. The huntsman copse had nothing to do with undead or skeletons, so why put them there?

Also they had two mob bosses in ds2 like that with the spooky lords and the rat king fight,only the rat king was annoying because of all the poo poo in the way.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I literally laughed out loud at the skeleton lords. They're so lame.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Giant Isopod posted:

A lot of that was put by the wayside in DS3 to make every boss have some sort of "Awesome" transition to a new, even more finaller form. And I think it achieved the opposite of what it was intended: when every boss looks special, no one is.

I think you're reading more into it than is actually there. It's just how bosses are now, sure they get a chance to show off some animation stuff, but it's also just what distinguishes bosses from normal mobs now that your average Lothric Knight is more complex than a DS1 boss.

There are design advantages too. You get to have phases and transitions that are there for story and flavour, like the Storm King. You also get a chance to learn boss mechanics before having everything thrown at you, which is also nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Deacons is more like Prowling Magus only somehow they managed to make it even easier. Definitely more fun though.

Boos invasion glitch was the best thing to ever happen to Deacons because I was able to make people actually lose to them. The best was managing to get the host to die from the curse.

hampig posted:

You also get a chance to learn boss mechanics before having everything thrown at you, which is also nice.

Except a bunch of these two phase bosses are essentially two different fights stapled together, so everything you learned in phase 1 goes out the window in phase 2.

loving Nameless King.