Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Overall did you find the game fun? I was surprised how much i loved 40k when i played it for the first time in 20 years a few weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, absolutely. My opponent was friendly and at normal levels of socialization and maturity, which I mean I'm not trying to sound like an rear end in a top hat but sometimes you don't get that when you play Warhammer with a random person, that was a huge plus.

The game took about two hours, including set up and me not moving as quickly as I will with more experience. So, that reinforced my desire to stay at a thousand points.

It left me with a renewed desire to keep painting out the thousand point list until it's all finished. Just like everyone says, my only finished units (half of the 10 man intercessor squad) was the absolute first thing blasted off of the table.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I also got to play my first game of 10th this weekend! We found it pretty cool, even with the couple of weird rules interactions. Some takeaways: I 100% need to run more transports as my Bladeguard just footslogged and then finally killed a character on turn 3 after 2 turns of nothing. Terminators are REALLY cool and good and I need that kit to get released ASAP so I don't have to buy more Leviathan boxes. Some pics:

Yes he brought the fighter AND the bomber. No fun.

Had to call in some help from the Khan

Yes he brought a Tantalus. My Furioso punched it to death.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 31, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm thinking of running this in my next thousand point games, but I'm worried it might be crossing the line into a slant list:

Terminator Captain, 10 Relic Terminators
Contemptor Dreadnaught
5 Intercessors
5 Heavy Bolter Devastators
5 Missile Launcher Devastators

Edit: Well, actually, I may struggle with only have 5 units in my army, whereas I could keep the terminators at five and add two more intercessor squads, bringing my unit count up to seven (and adding two more with "sticky objectives). Based on both my experience in the game and this Goonhammer article, that may be better:

https://www.goonhammer.com/hammer-of-math-warhammer-40k-leviathan-secondary-missions/

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 31, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah the Terminators in leviathan are absolute monsters, they really live up to how incredible they are in the game. You shouldve seen my face when five terminators wiped out 20 of my necron warriors in one melee phase lol

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I legit want to make an army of nothing but various Terminators and maybe one Land Raider.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah the Terminators in leviathan are absolute monsters, they really live up to how incredible they are in the game. You shouldve seen my face when five terminators wiped out 20 of my necron warriors in one melee phase lol

So with their power fists they get three attacks each, that's 12, then the Sargent with a power sword has 4 attacks right? How did that go down?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

So with their power fists they get three attacks each, that's 12, then the Sargent with a power sword has 4 attacks right? How did that go down?

Listen dude im not a psyker who remembers all i know is that i had a squad if warriors then i didnt i dont carry an abacus everywhere i go i think he used a strategem i dont remember.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Devorum posted:

I legit want to make an army of nothing but various Terminators and maybe one Land Raider.

I was talking with my friend yesterday about this, especially an army like Space Wolves (probably DA get some too?) having Wolf Guard Terminators which of course are a separate datasheet from Terminators, Assault Terminators, Relic Terminators. An entire list of deepstriking ~12 squads of terminators, cinematically epic, even if not a good list. I guess for 2K you'd get 9 squads and then one cheap Warlord of some sort.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm thinking of running this in my next thousand point games, but I'm worried it might be crossing the line into a slant list:

Terminator Captain, 10 Relic Terminators
Contemptor Dreadnaught
5 Intercessors
5 Heavy Bolter Devastators
5 Missile Launcher Devastators

Edit: Well, actually, I may struggle with only have 5 units in my army, whereas I could keep the terminators at five and add two more intercessor squads, bringing my unit count up to seven (and adding two more with "sticky objectives). Based on both my experience in the game and this Goonhammer article, that may be better:

https://www.goonhammer.com/hammer-of-math-warhammer-40k-leviathan-secondary-missions/

If you were crossing the line into a slant list you'd have like 2x Exaction squads for hyper cheap objective holding, a squad of Desolators with a Bolter discipline leader, Gladiator lancer etc. None of the stuff you're bringing are the Good units so you're fine.

Eej fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 31, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Al-Saqr posted:

Listen dude im not a psyker who remembers all i know is that i had a squad if warriors then i didnt i dont carry an abacus everywhere i go i think he used a strategem i dont remember.

Haha, not calling you a liar, I know it's probably some combination of stratagems and maybe you had almost twenty and your opponent got some insane rolls, was just curious if you recalled any details. Regardless, that's a lot of killing, sucks especially since your warriors are so good at getting back up if there are any left.

Eej posted:

None of the stuff you're bringing are the Good units so you're fine.

Unless or until I can model desolator launchers onto the shoulders of marines, missile launcher style, I'll be denied the joys of SUPER KRAK

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

I was talking with my friend yesterday about this, especially an army like Space Wolves (probably DA get some too?) having Wolf Guard Terminators which of course are a separate datasheet from Terminators, Assault Terminators, Relic Terminators. An entire list of deepstriking ~12 squads of terminators, cinematically epic, even if not a good list. I guess for 2K you'd get 9 squads and then one cheap Warlord of some sort.

Yeah, I'm doing DA so I can run Deathwing in addition to the normal and Assault plus Librarian and Captain in Terminator Armor for leaders.

Will probably not be great, but very cool.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Jack B Nimble posted:

Unless or until I can model desolator launchers onto the shoulders of marines, missile launcher style, I'll be denied the joys of SUPER KRAK

How many spare Devastator rocket launchers do you have?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ten HH Launchers, 5 on models and 5 still on sprue. They're not really the same model, but I still think I can fundamentally arrive at a cleanish looking tube. Watching now, thanks.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ten HH Launchers, 5 on models and 5 still on sprue. They're not really the same model, but I still think I can fundamentally arrive at a cleanish looking tube. Watching now, thanks.

Now that I'm looking more closely at the conversion it looks like you could magnetize the superfrag/superkrak bit, too, since it's completely separate from the rest of the model.

So I just pulled the trigger on ebay bits for four more of those rocket launches, bringing me up to eight, which should be enough to (whenever I get around to it in mumblemumble years) convert both Agastus squads, assuming I'm willing to leave the sergeants with their big vengeance launchers. Which I am.

EDIT: I'm sorry, vengor launcher, not vengeance launcher. What was I thinking?

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 31, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

A little sneak preview of the basilisk I'm working on. Don't worry, the gun and shield are not glued down, I couldn't imagine painting this as one piece.

Also, in addition to the basilisk being hilariously out of date, the instructions are incorrect. If you build it the way it tells you to you'll be left with a giant hole in the back of the tank. Unbelievable, I had to break this thing apart to remove the chimera back plate to put the basilisk one in. The instructions make no mention of that, I had to track down an older pdf to confirm I wasn't crazy, before pulling it apart.

Edit: Is the flamethrower the best choice here? I suspect it is for overwatch. A bolter is nice, but if this is engaging with the bolter I'm using it wrong.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 31, 2023

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The counter argument to that is anything assaulting a Basilisk probably doesn’t give a poo poo about a single Heavy Flamer, and you’ve cost yourself opportunity shots with the Heavy Bolter on the off chance you have to move it or deploy in LOS or whatever.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Virtual Russian posted:

A little sneak preview of the basilisk I'm working on. Don't worry, the gun and shield are not glued down, I couldn't imagine painting this as one piece.

Also, in addition to the basilisk being hilariously out of date, the instructions are incorrect. If you build it the way it tells you to you'll be left with a giant hole in the back of the tank. Unbelievable, I had to break this thing apart to remove the chimera back plate to put the basilisk one in. The instructions make no mention of that, I had to track down an older pdf to confirm I wasn't crazy, before pulling it apart.

Edit: Is the flamethrower the best choice here? I suspect it is for overwatch. A bolter is nice, but if this is engaging with the bolter I'm using it wrong.

That's not the original gun is it? My basilisk is like 15 years old and it has the normal barrel it has today.

I also agree there's no point in putting a 12" gun kn a vehicle that wants to stay as far away as possible. Anything charging your basilisk has probably killed all your guardsmen in which case the flamer wont help.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Virtual Russian posted:

Where'd you get the gun, some historical kit?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Oh yes! Silly me I didn't say. I bashed the basilisk together with a tamiya flak 36/37 kit. Plus I added some extra wide tracks as I did that to my Chimeras.

So am I hearing that I should switch to the bolter then? Better to maybe get some shots off if I'm repositioning?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Virtual Russian posted:

Oh yes! Silly me I didn't say. I bashed the basilisk together with a tamiya flak 36/37 kit. Plus I added some extra wide tracks as I did that to my Chimeras.

So am I hearing that I should switch to the bolter then? Better to maybe get some shots off if I'm repositioning?

that and if you're just using it for direct fire, it's a bit of extra shooting

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Thanks, heavy bolter it is!

Edit: This kit doesn't come with a heavy bolter despite it being an option. Man, this kits blows, not only is it like 30 years old and includes intructions that tell you to make it wrong, but they don't even give you the optional heavy bolter?! I have to go find that part elsewhere?

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 31, 2023

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I feel like the heavy bolter should be on the same sprue next to the flamer, is that not the case?

I have two basilisks coming in the mail day after tomorrow

Make sure to put a magnet spot for a hunter killer missile on there!

(do you mind sharing the link to the tamiya model?)

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I feel like the heavy bolter should be on the same sprue next to the flamer, is that not the case?

Virtual Russian posted:

Thanks, heavy bolter it is!

Edit: This kit doesn't come with a heavy bolter despite it being an option. Man, this kits blows, not only is it like 30 years old and includes intructions that tell you to make it wrong, but they don't even give you the optional heavy bolter?! I have to go find that part elsewhere?

Nope, the basilisk doesn't come with a bolter, it's a really old kit. When I was building mine for 9th I had to check the codex, I was worried it might have been caught up in no model no rules and been flamer only, thankfully it's not :v:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I have two basilisks coming in the mail day after tomorrow

Make sure to put a magnet spot for a hunter killer missile on there!

(do you mind sharing the link to the tamiya model?)

No heavy bolters, I looked the sprues up online as well just to be sure.

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/tamiya-german-88mm-gun-flak-36-37-kit-ca117-1-35-35017/

Assembly was quite straight forward, I built the gun as per the instructions. However, I removed the gun mount altogether, and sawed away anything that protruded below where the gun mount ring was. I also needed to cut back the gunshield's supports on the basilisk, but it still easily fits in place. When assempbling the gun I did not include the large hydraulic recoil dampeners (big cylinders) that stick out forwards of the gun as they would prevent mounting on the tank without setting the gun really far back. If you want more detailed instructions I can try to whip something up.

There is a post on reddit explaining how to build this, avoid it, following its advice will get you a gun mounted very high and very far back. If you look at the two kits it becomes very obvious how to fit them together, I have no idea why that person built it so odd.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 31, 2023

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
wait, a sunward hobbies link?!

Are you in Toronto?

Let's battle, buddy!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tangy Zizzle posted:

wait, a sunward hobbies link?!

Are you in Toronto?

Let's battle, buddy!

Just moved to PEI, was in the GTA a few years back.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
ah poo poo, well thanks for the links, the emperor protects, etc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Back in the day wasn’t in big standard that the kit only came with a handful of the codex options?

One of each gun devestators n poo poo

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Back in the day wasn’t in big standard that the kit only came with a handful of the codex options?

One of each gun devestators n poo poo

On tanks, generally not! Except for the turret, you usually did get all of the weapon options, although generally you had fewer of them than now. Even Devastators and Havocs were only like that when the gun parts were metal.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I have to imagine the basilisk gets an update soon. The basilisk sprues were the same ones from 95, the detail is very soft in parts like the aquila, and there is no heavy bolter. Plus the directions are just plain incorrect! Like I'd expect them to at least print a corrected set of instructions.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Virtual Russian posted:

I have to imagine the basilisk gets an update soon. The basilisk sprues were the same ones from 95, the detail is very soft in parts like the aquila, and there is no heavy bolter. Plus the directions are just plain incorrect! Like I'd expect them to at least print a corrected set of instructions.

they wont even do that for some new kits, why would they do that for one that old?!?!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

As others pointed out to me, a lot of the old vehicle kits have had several updates. The parts didn't change, but the sprues were made larger and way more extras got put in, or small things like hatches got updated. The basilisk sprues, as far as I can tell from looking online, have not had this. The chimera parts did, but not the basilisk, so they look quite old, but also don't have all the extras. I feel like they could redo that sprue and add a heavy bolter. Or, if nothing else, reprint the instruction so it doesn't make you gently caress up the model.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Redoing a sprue costs as much as making an entire new sprue so it makes sense to just do a complete refresh.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wouldn't exactly say the Leman Russ kit has had several updates over the years. :v:
The same goes for most other vehicles.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Wouldn't exactly say the Leman Russ kit has had several updates over the years. :v:
The same goes for most other vehicles.

That is also what I thought, but it has been done. Sponsons, hatches, and gun options have all been updated and added too. Treads too.

Eej posted:

Redoing a sprue costs as much as making an entire new sprue so it makes sense to just do a complete refresh.

Rearranging and adding small changes to a sprue will only cost some light design work and tooling the new injection molds. That is always going to be cheaper than redesigning the kit from scratch, which involves designers, new marketing, etc...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well I learned something new today, must be some kind of imperial favouritism.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Virtual Russian posted:

Rearranging and adding small changes to a sprue will only cost some light design work and tooling the new injection molds. That is always going to be cheaper than redesigning the kit from scratch, which involves designers, new marketing, etc...

Um no.
Tooling injection molds is at least 90% of the cost of new sprues, and the difference in cost between designing from scratch and re-orienting the existing designed sprues is trivial.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

That is also what I thought, but it has been done. Sponsons, hatches, and gun options have all been updated and added too. Treads too.

I mean what I'm saying it has happened, just not that many times as you imply.

As I recall the kit got a major overhauled during 4th edition, then it received new turrets during 5th. Same goes for the demolisher, with the gun going from metal to plastic during 4th and then later receiving all the other variants later.
Then they got merged together into one set for 9th instead of two different boxes.

Meanwhile the Basilisk and Chimera got one overhaul during 5th and haven't gotten anything else since.
DIdn't even realise that they are showing the 5th box covers for it on the webstore.

Fun fact, from looking at a scan of the old IG collectors guide book the Basilisk had a hull mounted Heavy Bolter in its initial release, but must've lost it during the update.
Also the reason it only has a heavy flamer is because it has the tank accessory sprue that came out at the same time as the 5th ed release.
poo poo, think the accessory sprue is older than that even.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
The IG vehicle accessory sprue is at least a bit older than the Chimera rework. I have a bunch of old style flat turret Chimeras with the much bigger hatches from the accessory sprue.