Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter had the best implementation of subtitles in any video game. You just press square during a cutscene to toggle subtitles on or off globally, and you can do it from the menu, and it tells you how to do it at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I like that netflix has a go 10 seconds back and turn on subtitles feature

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF Little Things Dragging This Game Down:

Alexander Hamilton posted:

And then you get Poo...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been playing After Burner II in the arcade a lot and I have no idea how you're supposed to get good at it. Like what, you just crank up the speed, blast missiles everywhere and randomly die? I mean, I'm having fun but I'm not getting any better at it.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Jun 19, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An amusing pattern about in media res bosses is that they are often the hardest part of the game when you actually get to those fights. You use them as a warm up to teach you the controls, and then suddenly 20 hours later they are kicking your teeth in.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Legends of Troy is a lot of fun, but I am getting brickwalled hard by this Hector fight cause it's heavy on countering and countering the counter and I fudge the timing eventually and get cut like the bitch I am.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spider-Man has flashback sequences that you can fail. They're not very difficult but this entire concept annoys me on a fundamental level. How can you die on something that has already happened in the narrative? Does MJ somehow mess up when she's retelling her story to Peter and say "..oh yeah and then I was spotted and died, the end"? It makes no sense!

This is somewhat related to the trope of "unwinnable boss fight that you can die to before the intentionally unwinnable part." If the entire idea is that you won't win no matter what, why does it matter that you got to the next phase? No no no!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Byzantine posted:

Legends of Troy is a lot of fun, but I am getting brickwalled hard by this Hector fight cause it's heavy on countering and countering the counter and I fudge the timing eventually and get cut like the bitch I am.

He's a fucker. The game also stop telling you when to counter after a few hits, so you no longer have the prompts to go by and have to go entirely by the animation. It's like it thinks you have the rhythm, lets go of the bicycle seat but then you immediately flop over sideways.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

exquisite tea posted:

Spider-Man has flashback sequences that you can fail. They're not very difficult but this entire concept annoys me on a fundamental level. How can you die on something that has already happened in the narrative? Does MJ somehow mess up when she's retelling her story to Peter and say "..oh yeah and then I was spotted and died, the end"? It makes no sense!

This is somewhat related to the trope of "unwinnable boss fight that you can die to before the intentionally unwinnable part." If the entire idea is that you won't win no matter what, why does it matter that you got to the next phase? No no no!

Perhaps a Level 50 Sephiroth should have helped MJ in that flashback.

I didn't play Wolfenstein II which is supposed to be a mixed bag and is apparently cheap on the difficulty spectrum. Isn't the hardest level of the game one where you're surrounded by nazis in a courtroom, and when you win after dying a dozen times you find out it was all a dream.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

exquisite tea posted:

Monkey Island 2 had a good spin on this in its one possible death scene (which you basically have to trigger intentionally), cutting back to the character you're narrating the flashback to calling bullshit on you and sending you back to that scene to redo it. I'd forgive the useless Spider-Man flashbacks somewhat if they really went there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Perhaps a Level 50 Sephiroth should have helped MJ in that flashback.

I didn't play Wolfenstein II which is supposed to be a mixed bag and is apparently cheap on the difficulty spectrum. Isn't the hardest level of the game one where you're surrounded by nazis in a courtroom, and when you win after dying a dozen times you find out it was all a dream.

Yeah but I think in that specific case it's intended to be over the top and a crazy uphill battle, it's how the game hints to you that something's not right. In like 30 seconds' time you go from fighting ten dudes in the courtroom with a pistol to the walls and ceiling exploding and helicopters dropping in nazis by the dozen and dogs and robots and a mech with a minigun. To make the player go "well this is just improbable, there's no way he could actually make it out of this, oh it's probably a dream sequence :("

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time had this as its entire conceit if I'm not misremembering.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

exquisite tea posted:

The worst part is that the MJ flashbacks only exist to explain what one or two sentences could explain, and those scenes go on for way too long. "MJ what are you doing here?" "I was investigating this place because it's important to Fisk, here's what I found" and that's all you need.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Replaying Borderlands 2 and...

Tiny Tina. Literally everything about her. It's like she's a 13 year old, being voiced by a woman in her mid 20s, who acts like a 5 year old. And on top of that, she's written like a grown man in his mid-late 20s tried to write dialogue for a child while not having any goddamned idea what a teenage girl sounds like.

And, hey, what do you know? That's literally what happened. In a game full of terrible, obnoxious characters, it says something when she manages to outdo Claptrap, the character whose whole gimmick is "I'M ANNOYING LMAO".

DoubleNegative has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Jun 19, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DoubleNegative posted:

she's written like a grown man in his mid-late 20s tried to write dialogue for a child while not having any goddamned idea what a teenage girl would say.

thats because Anthony "Livetweeting my divorce which stemmed from me wanting an open marriage (also i sexually harrass women)" Burch, the guy that wrote the game, was in his late 20's when Borderlands 2 came out. Ashley Burch is his sister, not to be confused with his at-the-time wife Ashley.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DoubleNegative posted:

Tiny Tina. Literally everything about her. It's like she's a 13 year old, being voiced by a woman in her mid 20s, who acts like a 5 year old. And on top of that, she's written like a grown man in his mid-late 20s tried to write dialogue for a child while not having any goddamned idea what a teenage girl sounds like.

This is why I hated that Vanilla-pie-person from Wreck It Ralph. Couldn't they have teamed up Ralph with someone who doesn't sound like a 40-year-old chain-smoker?

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Jun 19, 2019

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Console Destiny 2's menus are hot garbage and take FOREVER (in video game terms) to load up. It makes changing guns mid-fight practically impossible, but on PC you can do it almost instantly. To make matters worse, they made a change recently that moved the "quest log" to an entirely different page, but if you've been playing Destiny to Destiny 2 for years and are an idiot like me and are used to going to the same spot for your quests, you open a menu out of muscle memory, wait 30 seconds for it to load, go to the page where it was, realize it's gone, take 10 seconds to close out, go to the correct place, wait 30 more seconds for the logs to load..

I was going to write up a long thing on PC vs Console with Destiny 2 and how blanket nerfs can hurt one more than the other, but I'm having a hard time putting it into words.. but if you're at all curious, look up the recent "Luna's Howl / Not Forgotten" nerfs. It should be noted that weapon bloom and recoil work entirely differently on PC vs Console, so it's asinine to treat them as the same beast.. but that's what happens. All the time. Essentially, these two guns were highly sought after, and once you earned them, they were undoubtedly best-in-slot for player vs player content. In an effort to level the playing field, Bungie nerfed them into oblivion a few weeks ago and people didn't take it well.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night got a patch this morning that accidentally opens chests you haven't reached yet, including one with a story mandatory item, so now all I can do is wait and hope for the next patch or restart.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Earthbound is my favorite game but it kills me every time that you get Paula and spend an hour trying to level her up so she's not useless, then you get Jeff and have to level him up, then you finally have 3 full-strength party members... and then the very next town over Paula gets kidnapped so you have to go back to 2 people and then spend another hour leveling Paula back up once you get her back.

And then you get Poo...

So this is something that bothers me about a lot of people's complaints about JRPGs. I love the genre, so Ive played a whole bunch of them, including the ones that often get these complaints, and they're kind of foreign to me. I'm not necessarily blaming anybody, because this is a very endemic mindset that's easy to fall into, but...

Have you tried not grinding?

Because out of every JRPG I've played, I've only had to grind to prepare for the main content of the game exactly twice (those games for the record were Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey and Persona 4, both Atlus games, and honestly both final bosses have their own issues). Most JRPGs are designed such that you don't need to grind to win, you just have to fight smarter rather than harder. Often, this means being a little less precious with your resources, which I think is why people struggle; they prefer to conserve mana or whatever the equivalent is Just In Case, and then have trouble because they're stuck with only basic attacks, but it doesn't always manifest like that. I guess sometimes people see level as the most easily controllable variable, and so when they have trouble they go 'maybe I just need to level up' instead of 'maybe I was fighting this boss wrong'.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

He's a fucker. The game also stop telling you when to counter after a few hits, so you no longer have the prompts to go by and have to go entirely by the animation. It's like it thinks you have the rhythm, lets go of the bicycle seat but then you immediately flop over sideways.

drat, I was hoping you'd have some kind of trick.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

So this is something that bothers me about a lot of people's complaints about JRPGs. I love the genre, so Ive played a whole bunch of them, including the ones that often get these complaints, and they're kind of foreign to me. I'm not necessarily blaming anybody, because this is a very endemic mindset that's easy to fall into, but...

Because out of every JRPG I've played, I've only had to grind to prepare for the main content of the game exactly twice (those games for the record were Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey and Persona 4, both Atlus games, and honestly both final bosses have their own issues). Most JRPGs are designed such that you don't need to grind to win, you just have to fight smarter rather than harder. Often, this means being a little less precious with your resources, which I think is why people struggle; they prefer to conserve mana or whatever the equivalent is Just In Case, and then have trouble because they're stuck with only basic attacks, but it doesn't always manifest like that. I guess sometimes people see level as the most easily controllable variable, and so when they have trouble they go 'maybe I just need to level up' instead of 'maybe I was fighting this boss wrong'.

Its been a long time since I've played Earthbound, but I seem to remember that some areas were a real slog if you were under leveled. The Persona games are usually pretty fair, although the jump on Naoto's level was pretty high from the last one. Any of the SMT mainline games are grind city though.

More games should do what Suikoden did, where each area had a range, if a character was below that, would get a substantial boost to EXP in that area until they hit the level range. You could bring a few characters up to par with a just a bit of grinding.

So, They are Billions is out, it is basically a RTS/Tower defense game against zombies. Now that it is out, they released a campaign for it instead of just random maps, and the first goddamn mission is a bitch. If you hadn't played the game before, you have an extremely small chance of making it. As it has a very tight time limit, you can't mess around and learn the game. When the time limit is up, you get a zombie swarm, and if you don't have layered walls on the spot they come in on, you have to start over. Oh, you also need to cover the map in houses in that limited time. Its a very weird beginning.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

spit on my clit posted:

thats because Anthony "Livetweeting my divorce which stemmed from me wanting an open marriage (also i sexually harrass women)" Burch, the guy that wrote the game, was in his late 20's when Borderlands 2 came out. Ashley Burch is his sister, not to be confused with his at-the-time wife Ashley.

I'm genuinely astonished by Anthony Burch because every time I think he's the worst, he manages to get even worse than that. Dude is an amazing example of a perpetual self own and he has yet to realize it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

In Earthbound, Jeff and Poo don't really need to be grinded up because you play a little segment beforehand with just them that gets them some levels and such, then they join a party with a couple people, one of which who can heal, so it's not bad.

When Paula joins, she hasn't done anything like that, and is really weak to the point where she'll die in a couple hits. Also you need her to cast spells to be of any use, and I think she maybe starts with a weak one and that's it?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Byzantine posted:

drat, I was hoping you'd have some kind of trick.

The trick is just to get the timing down, by the time I beat him I was back-and-forth parrying for a bit before he'd be open. There is a much harder fight later against Paris, he's a mean boss due to his speed and ranged attacks

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Here's the trick I learned back in the days of the Dragon Warrior titles; most people just warp the gently caress out of dungeons. Then they find they're a low level for the next dungeon, and get frustrated when they feel they have to grind. Sure walking out of a dungeon is boring, but you gain a decent amount of EXP, EXP that's easier to get now that you're stronger with post-boss exp and levels. You can clear out the dungeon on the way out and then go back to town, heal and head to the next story beat geared up to beat it and by the time you reach the next dungeon you'll probably be nice and comfortably leveled for it. At least, I usually am, without any unnecessary downtime spent grinding.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whoever determined the relic times for the motorcycle levels of Crash Bandicoot 3 (N Sane) is a god drat idiot. It's not fun to have to sit there doing nothing for 2 minutes every time you want to try for the relic because you bounce off the racers and you need to hold a single boost pad for the entire loving stage WHILE HITTING ALL THE CRATES so they can't be in the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_IJXhzS694

Look at this poo poo. The steering is so bad. All 3 or 4 of them are like this and it's completely asinine.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Here's the trick I learned back in the days of the Dragon Warrior titles; most people just warp the gently caress out of dungeons. Then they find they're a low level for the next dungeon, and get frustrated when they feel they have to grind. Sure walking out of a dungeon is boring, but you gain a decent amount of EXP, EXP that's easier to get now that you're stronger with post-boss exp and levels. You can clear out the dungeon on the way out and then go back to town, heal and head to the next story beat geared up to beat it and by the time you reach the next dungeon you'll probably be nice and comfortably leveled for it. At least, I usually am, without any unnecessary downtime spent grinding.

When you beat a boss all the enemies run away from you so you can get some easy exp on the way out.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I kinda had this hope it'll turn out to have been a mistaken assumption on the characters' part or something, but I've beaten Ys 8 and nothing was said about it maybe being wrong, so I'm really bummed that (!!Major lore/party member reveals!!) the dinosaur party member doesn't look like a rad lizard/bird person but instead just like any human, and not even very tall like the rest of her people. I can even think of what they could have done to keep it a surprise.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

spit on my clit posted:

No, the dude got divorced because he asked for an open marriage, his wife agreed, and then she founds lot of boyfriends while he couldn't find anybody interested in having sex with him.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Cadence of Hyrule rocks socks but Hyrule Castle is just chock-full of gently caress you’s that seemed designed to just irritate the player. Tiny rooms with enemies that block from the front while their archer buddies with infinite range on faster-than-light arrows shoot from behind them, loads of wizzrobes that spawn their projectiles while effectively offscreen and can teleport into shops, and tiny enemies that explode for big damage on death and are hard to track while dealing with everything else. I’ve not died yet but it’s just an absolute slog compared to the Overworld and other dungeons. I’m betting Ganon will be more of a pain than the ice dungeon boss too. :(

Also the automatic weapon swap to whatever you pick up is irritating, as you have to go to the menu midbeat to swap back to the Obsidian Death Spear.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Wow I haven't thought about Anthony Burch in a while. I was a big "Hey Ash, Whacha Playin'" fan in its day. Glad his sister seems to be good people.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

QuietLion posted:

Also the automatic weapon swap to whatever you pick up is irritating, as you have to go to the menu midbeat to swap back to the Obsidian Death Spear.

It's wild how much better the spear is than any other weapon.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Morpheus posted:

It's wild how much better the spear is than any other weapon.
It really does feel like it’s far and away the best weapon, even the two weapons I found in the Castle kind of pale in comparison. If I ever get good enough at this game to start doing permadeath seed runs, a spear will arguably be my top priority.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The spear is absolutely the safest weapon (it's how I got my permadeath win) followed by the broadsword, although for speed runs you want the flail or rapier since they help you keep moving.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No, the dude got divorced because he asked for an open marriage, his wife agreed, and then she founds lot of boyfriends while he couldn't find anybody interested in having sex with him.

Right, I forgot that it was much more pathetic than just "i wanted an open marriage"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An annoying thing about Rage 2 is that they do a really bad job of rewarding you for completing objectives. I did a fairly difficult defense mission and when I finished the game gave me $100. While walking away from the defense area I saw a container and when I opened it I got $250.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

QuietLion posted:

and tiny enemies that explode for big damage on death and are hard to track

The little purple guys? Let them get to you without attacking them and they heal you.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

rodbeard posted:

I finally got around to buying dark souls 3 and I'm trying not to spoil everything for myself like I usually do. Of course despite playing basically everything From has put out in America I immediately went the wrong way from firelink shrine. This to me spending 15 minutes fighting a guy who could kill me in two hits which ended up being a dead end. It turned out the whole time I was stuck was despite dicking around in the starting area for over an hour the game had never actually finished installing. How does a game take over an hour to install?

When I first got to firelink I guess I wasnt looking at the bonfire close enough or at a bad angle because I didnt see the prompt come up. I must have spent an hour running all over and looking for secret doors before coming back to it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I got the message that I couldn't warp yet I just didn't make the connection that I needed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think I had to look up how to get out of firelink the first time I played DS3.