Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a kinda underwhelming rare if you can only trigger it once.

If you can trigger it twice, it's pretty good.

If you can trigger it more than that, it gets totally insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Part of it too is the fact that Dominaria limited allows for this kind of slow nonsense.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I didn't think it was crap, but I definitely underestimated it on my first look.
I skimmed over both it and the Helm. Good thing I've not managed to get out and draft the set yet. :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I didn't think it was crap, but I definitely underestimated it on my first look.

oh sure, i can see underestimating it, but scoffing at it straight up? thats arrogant

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So I finally got my Arena invite. I know :nothingmatters: since it'll all reset at some point, but how should I use my gold if my intention is to slam-jam drafts F2P?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
20 minutes into the first game of the first tournament of the new format at the SCG commentators (the bad ones) have called Karn "Just Stupid" and have declared the format broken.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BrianBoitano posted:

So I finally got my Arena invite. I know :nothingmatters: since it'll all reset at some point, but how should I use my gold if my intention is to slam-jam drafts F2P?

Save it up until drafts appear so you can slam as many drafts as possible before the wipe. Assuming drafting is the thing you find fun and want to do a bunch of.

Reroll any 500 gold quests in case you get a 750, and get your four gold-granting ranked wins a day. Don't touch the pay-for-entry constructed at all, it's negative on gold return unless you've already whaled up a fully powered deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The last time I played competitive Constructed Magic was probably a good 9ish months ago, when I borrowed my friend's burn deck to get 9th in a ~80 person PPTQ. Yesterday, I borrowed that exact same 75 to go 4-0 in FNM. Goblin Guide: still a good card.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 28, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went 3-0 in draft last night, only dropped a single game. UR wizards is amazing if you can get the wizard enablers, and I grabbed Adeliz, the Cinder Wind p1p2. I got fed all the blue and red I could possibly want and more. Radiating Lightning is an absolute powerhouse; I cleaned out a saproling infestation with it in one game and made a few combats go from "terrible losing battle" to "this sweeps the board".

My best moment was the guy who didn't read Time of Ice, used Song of Freyalise to tap out and drop a Verdant Force. Went from "I need to draw some flyers ASAP" to "I just need to chump block the VF a couple times".

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

hellsau i wanted to build your tron deck and play pauper but hydroblasts are fuckin 6 tickets each

everybody has hydroblasts

hydro for days

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The worst thing Wizards has ever done was make BEB/REB uncommon in Masters 25.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Shortest Path posted:

Free my Alpha X-Blasts.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jabor posted:

It's a kinda underwhelming rare if you can only trigger it once.

If you can trigger it twice, it's pretty good.

If you can trigger it more than that, it gets totally insane.

I mean I was in UW Historic. I didn’t have a LOT of triggers but enough to make the board a little nutty.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What do you guys do with your Arena coins? I hear the game will be wiped before the final release, do you still use them for pack?

I think I have 8 packs worth of coins right now.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

What do you guys do with your Arena coins? I hear the game will be wiped before the final release, do you still use them for pack?

I think I have 8 packs worth of coins right now.

You can draft now, that’s what I would do.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I do have one complaint about dominaria - the cards are very complex even at the C/U level, and it really challenges people understanding of the rules. Shield of the Realm combined with double strike caused some judge calls

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

ShadeofBlue posted:

You can't actually draft yet, not for almost a week still. I've been buying packs but I have gems for draft. You can do whichever you find more interesting.
I think the quick constructed event in Arena has gotten substantially harder now, and I assume it will only get worse as the worst performing players drop out, meaning the people just a bit better now lose gold at it etc. It seems set up for a death spiral over time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ShadeofBlue posted:

Cool, I'll wait for that then.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this has been a fun draft so far:

won two rounds 2-0 and for the most part the other guys didn't actually get to do anything but watch every one of their creatures die and then get crushed by either their best creature reanimated, verix, or a fight with fire for 10 to the face

edit: won all three rounds 2-0, my god shivan fire is a handy card

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 28, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Procrastinator posted:

hellsau i wanted to build your tron deck and play pauper but hydroblasts are fuckin 6 tickets each

Yeah that's what made me notice. Someone online asked if my list was good to buy into as a newbie, which it isn't since you need to play lightning fast, and I noticed my deck is about 20 tickets for the maindeck and the sideboard is 50 tickets since it has 4 of each Blast. I looked again last night and the 8 Blasts went from 52 tickets to 46, which is quite a notable drop with no discernable cause.

The Shortest Path posted:

suicidesteve posted:

Free my Alpha X-Blasts.

That made very little sense to me. It would have allieviated some price pressure off of pauper, and would have added value to the original BEB/RED which are inexplicably only $7/$25 so the MTGFinance jokers would be happy. Instead they're uncommon and absolutely nobody cared that they were reprinted.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I think they made them uncommon for limited purposes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Some Numbers posted:

I think they made them uncommon for limited purposes.

Why bother reprinting them at all even for limited purposes then?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
No idea.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Nothing like drafting a great deck in MTGO, and losing the first match due to being horribly mana screwed in two of the games.

I think I need a break from this game again.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Buffis posted:

Nothing like drafting a great deck in MTGO, and losing the first match due to being horribly mana screwed in two of the games.

Ask if they can whitelist you

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

neaden posted:

You can't actually draft yet, not for almost a week still. I've been buying packs but I have gems for draft. You can do whichever you find more interesting.
I think the quick constructed event in Arena has gotten substantially harder now, and I assume it will only get worse as the worst performing players drop out, meaning the people just a bit better now lose gold at it etc. It seems set up for a death spiral over time.

See I am not sure if they are just queuing you up against regular ladder folks without telling you, also remember you have a hidden MMR so the more you win will get you paired against more equal opponents theoretically

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tibalt posted:

I do have one complaint about dominaria - the cards are very complex even at the C/U level, and it really challenges people understanding of the rules. Shield of the Realm combined with double strike caused some judge calls
Fair, but on the other hand double strike combined with anything is going to cause judge calls. What other cards have been a problem?

The only confusion I've come across has been people confusing Navigator's Compass for a good card. :v:

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

Tibalt posted:

Don't complain about Chess when you can go play Checkers.

shit is weak fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 28, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tibalt posted:

At draft last night my opponent resolved a Torgaar a second time after I had bounced it with time of Ice. I was still on 10 from when she hit me with it the first time. She offers her hand and says good game. I respond with puzzlement.
"It puts you at zero life, right?"
"Uh, no. You could target yourself and go from eight to ten, if you wanted? But it would just set be back to ten for me, no change."
"But.. it says... it says on the card uh.."
"I'll call a judge just to make sure we're both playing it right."

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Went to a draft today, went 2-1 and opened a Karn, feels good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I caved and cracked the box I'd gotten at prerelease to draft with after not getting people together to draft it 2 weeks in a row and wanting to know what I was working with before I started buying Dominaria singles for standard.

Really not a great box. A Jaya and a Teferi and nothing else worth writing home about. Fortune favors the people who don't just scratch off tickets, but rather actually use sealed product to have a fun time, with bros.

Suggestions for this Arena pile?

3 Helm of the Host (DAR) 217
3 Gideon of the Trials (AKH) 14
16 Plains (RIX) 192
3 Sacred Cat (AKH) 27
2 Anointed Procession (AKH) 2
3 Regal Caracal (AKH) 24
4 Adorned Pouncer (HOU) 2
3 Anointer Priest (AKH) 3
3 Angel of Sanctions (AKH) 1
4 Memorial to Glory (DAR) 244
2 Seal Away (DAR) 31
1 Ixalan's Binding (XLN) 17
2 Cartouche of Solidarity (AKH) 7
1 Cast Out (AKH) 8
1 Crested Sunmare (HOU) 6
2 Oketra's Monument (AKH) 233
4 Shefet Dunes (HOU) 183
2 Danitha Capashen, Paragon (DAR) 12
1 History of Benalia (DAR) 21

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 28, 2018

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Koirhor posted:

See I am not sure if they are just queuing you up against regular ladder folks without telling you, also remember you have a hidden MMR so the more you win will get you paired against more equal opponents theoretically

I'm pretty sure that it is a separate queue, with the idea that they just match you to someone who has the same record as you in the event. The problem is since a 3-3 record costs you 200 gold for 3 random cards the people who do badly will presumably stop playing. This means that the worst players will be the ones most likely to quit playing the event, which then means a new group of people are the worst players and begin to drop out as their rewards go down, which means etc. If on the other hand, it is just matching you against people in ladder then everyone should average a 3-3 record and quit. I'm pretty sure it is not doing that though.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Owlbear Camus posted:

I caved and cracked the box I'd gotten at prerelease to draft with after not getting people together to draft it 2 weeks in a row and wanting to know what I was working with before I started buying Dominaria singles for standard.

Really not a great box. A Jaya and a Teferi and nothing else worth writing home about. Fortune favors the people who don't just scratch off tickets, but rather actually use sealed product to have a fun time, with bros.

Suggestions for this Arena pile?

3 Helm of the Host (DAR) 217
3 Gideon of the Trials (AKH) 14
16 Plains (RIX) 192
3 Sacred Cat (AKH) 27
2 Anointed Procession (AKH) 2
3 Regal Caracal (AKH) 24
4 Adorned Pouncer (HOU) 2
3 Anointer Priest (AKH) 3
3 Angel of Sanctions (AKH) 1
4 Memorial to Glory (DAR) 244
2 Seal Away (DAR) 31
1 Ixalan's Binding (XLN) 17
2 Cartouche of Solidarity (AKH) 7
1 Cast Out (AKH) 8
1 Crested Sunmare (HOU) 6
2 Oketra's Monument (AKH) 233
4 Shefet Dunes (HOU) 183
2 Danitha Capashen, Paragon (DAR) 12
1 History of Benalia (DAR) 21

Do you feel like you have enough removal/interaction with your opponent running a token list? I have something similar with the Caracal/Anointer Priest/ Annointed Procession package but on Blue/White so I can use my Champion of Wits' and Supreme Wills. Sometimes I have what I need and sometimes the deck just durdles while the opponent lands aggressive Hazorets and grinds it all down too fast.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Buffis posted:

i drafted a killer b/g saprolings deck with 3 llanowar elves and 16 lands (8 n 8), match 1 game 1, mulled to 4 with no lands or mana resources, game 2 i kept a land with llanowar elves, two forests, four black spells and then kept drawing black spells and forests.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Last night at FNM, I got to draft a mediocre BG sap deck splashing blue for Muldrotha, a Time of Ice, and a the blue Memorial.

Doing well game 1, slowly out attritioning my opponent and curve into Muldrotha right as I hit my sixth land with the opponent top decking.

He decides to top deck In Bloas’ Clutches, and proceeds to run me over with my own mob as I had already used all the removal in my deck that could handle her. :suicide:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So this will probably be my U/W Approach list for the near future, looking for some feedback on it:

Mainboard
4 Seal Away
2 Search for Azcanta
3 Essence Scatter
3 Syncopate
3 Supreme Will
3 Disallow
3 Settle the Wreckage
3 Glimmer of Genius
3 Cast Out
3 Fumigate
2 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
3 Approach of the second sun
4 Irrigated Farmland
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Ipnu Rivulet
1 Scavenger Grounds
2 Field of Ruin
1 Arch of Orazca
6 Plains
3 Island

Sideboard:
3 Authority of the Consuls
1 Nezahal, Primal Tide
1 Crook of Condemnation
1 Kefnet, the Mindful
1 Commit // Memory
2 Torrential Gearhulk
4 Negate
2 Lyra Dawnbringer

The sideboard is the thing i'm the least sure about but that might just have to wait for the meta to shape up.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

poo poo is weak posted:

Don't complain about Chess when you can go play Checkers.
Hey, I'm fine with it, but having a judge call over casting Josu with kicker from the graveyard with Muldratha, and then next game over having a judge call due to Urza's blast being cast with the only legendary in play being the Black Blade Reforged...

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Hellsau posted:

Yeah that's what made me notice. Someone online asked if my list was good to buy into as a newbie, which it isn't since you need to play lightning fast, and I noticed my deck is about 20 tickets for the maindeck and the sideboard is 50 tickets since it has 4 of each Blast. I looked again last night and the 8 Blasts went from 52 tickets to 46, which is quite a notable drop with no discernable cause.

Is there a pauper deck you would consider? I mean I'm reasonably experienced as a player but the delver and boros decks don't appeal to me at all. I might just go with elves for the heck of it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tibalt posted:

Hey, I'm fine with it, but having a judge call over casting Josu with kicker from the graveyard with Muldratha, and then next game over having a judge call due to Urza's blast being cast with the only legendary in play being the Black Blade Reforged...

Just to be sure, the first sounds fine as Muldrotha permits casting from the yard and kicking isn't conditional on casting from the hand, and the second should be resolved literally by reading the card, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Hellsau posted:

As a pauper newbie but a MTGO expert what is a good pauper deck to get into? You seem to be the resident pauper guru.