Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Birb Katter posted:

If you just mean in tidal surge height and the 2004 Indonesian one vs the one that hit Fukashima then:

Japan: 40.5m max height
Indo: 20m max height

The quake for Indo was bigger though and the death toll staggering.

40 meters? Thats loving insane

Can someone link me to some good stories or analysis of those events

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Why do shoe shops lace their shoes in such an unintuitive fashion?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Marble Hornets, the youtube slenderman show, good? Or did it only seem good because I was 16 when it came out?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Turtlicious posted:

Is Marble Hornets, the youtube slenderman show, good? Or did it only seem good because I was 16 when it came out?

I was so excited for new episodes for seasons 1 and 2, and then season 3 came along and I never bothered finishing it. They just went all 'lost' style with a million plot loopholes and such, and I got bored.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

40 meters? Thats loving insane

Can someone link me to some good stories or analysis of those events

I recently finished Wave by Sonali Deraniyagala. It is the author's account of the 2004 tsunami and aftermath. She survived, obviously, but her parents, husband, and both her kids died. It is very good but it will make you want to kill yourself.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to migrate my mother's email from Windows Live Mail to Outlook 2013. I want to import her old emails and folders into the Outlook account, but I don't want them to just be there as archival subfolders; I want them in the main inbox, and the inbox subfolders to be part of that inbox. Other than manually recreating all of her (seventy or so) folders and moving the emails one folder at a time, is there a way to do this?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have to work an incredibly long graveyard shift tomorrow night, about 6 PM to 9 AM the next day. My normal schedule's about 8 AM to 8 PM, so I'm not remotely adjusted to that schedule. Normally my answer would be "caffeine, lots of" but I can't have caffeine yet due to recent surgery.

Anyone have any advice on staying awake/not going too crazy? The job is low intensity/desk work, so it may be possible to simply nap in the chair during some of the (expected) downtime, but worst case I'm not counting on it.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 27, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I have to work an incredibly long graveyard shift tomorrow night, about 6 PM to 9 AM the next day. My normal schedule's about 8 AM to 8 PM, so I'm not remotely adjusted to that schedule. Normally my answer would be "caffeine, lots of" but I can't have caffeine yet due to recent surgery.

Anyone have any advice on staying awake/not going too crazy? The job is low intensity/desk work, so it may be possible to simply nap in the chair during some of the (expected) downtime, but worst case I'm not counting on it.

Sip water, like enough that you have to pee fairly often. Listen to podcasts or an audiobook. Do some push-ups. These were my solutions when working security before I started drinking coffee and energy drinks.

Later, chewing tobacco and cigarettes did the trick.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

Ciaphas posted:

What usually works for me is any candy (usually skittles), cold water and music. Worst case scenario you won't be able to fall asleep for long because you'll wanna pee.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Souvlaki ss posted:

What usually works for me is any candy (usually skittles), cold water and music. Worst case scenario you won't be able to fall asleep for long because you'll wanna pee.

I would have thought the worst case scenario there is that you fall asleep anyway and piss yourself waiting to be found by the next guy in the morning.

vvv I know a single night shouldn't be anywhere near that bad, but Souvlaki did say "worst case" :v:

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 27, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Haha, he's just pulling an all-nighter, not taking heroin.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

VodeAndreas posted:

I would have thought the worst case scenario there is that you fall asleep anyway and piss yourself waiting to be found by the next guy in the morning.

Even more reason not to fall asleep :v:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Worst case scenario is you fall asleep at the wheel driving home and bump a school bus full of kids off a cliff then you wet yourself.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Worst case scenario: you go for a piss not long after takeoff and leave the depressed-sounding new guy in charge of the cockpit.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Why can't a third party company make a gaming system that plays both xbox and playstation games. If it doesn't advertise as either company but advertises as it's own company that supports both game types (and maybe more). Their are dozens of computer manufactures that allow users to play the same game so is it a legal thing or too big of an expense?

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

It's illegal to circumvent the copy protection put in place by the console makers (see DMCA). Regarding computers, your games are made for OSes (Windows/Mac/Linux) and not for computer manufacturers.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Why can't a third party company make a gaming system that plays both xbox and playstation games. If it doesn't advertise as either company but advertises as it's own company that supports both game types (and maybe more). Their are dozens of computer manufactures that allow users to play the same game so is it a legal thing or too big of an expense?

Emulation isn't illegal, but I'm pretty sure that Sony/ MS could either a) tie you up in lawsuits for the rest of eternity, or b) buy you off and drop your product of a cliff.

Or kill you and your loved ones.

See: Bleem.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

They absolutely can't, and the people saying they can probably have some investments they want to sell you that they can profit off of.

Yeah, they're trying to get you to buy gold.

That leads to the next obvious question. If the people telling you to buy gold are so sure the dollar is about to collapse, then why are they trading that super-awesome gold for soon to be worthless dollars? They have a shitton of gold and are trying to unload it. If they really thought there was going to be a huge financial apocalypse around the corner, they would spend their money building some sort of crazy survivalist compound to keep their gold safe.

Or at least that's what I would do, if I had tons of gold and I thought the Apocalypse was nigh.

If I just had a ton of gold, and didn't believe the apocalypse was nigh, trying to offload a ton of gold to doomsday preppers at above market prices is as good a sales scam as any. Which is what the actual commercials seem to be doing.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

If you are able to get ephedrine, have some of that. Smallest dose is 8mg and has about the same effects as caffeine. Also if you're anything like me you'll pass out at 9.30 AM then wake up at 10 having weird hallucination type dreams from REM withdrawal! (source: shift worker for the last decade)

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Does anyone have any resources for treatments for depression for low income people?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

RebBrownies posted:

Does anyone have any resources for treatments for depression for low income people?

Get a better paying job.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Trastion posted:

Get a better paying job.

:wtc:

RebBrownies, have you looked into Medicaid (or its expansion, if available in your state)? I don't have any personal experience with that side of the program, but it would be a place to start, at least.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

RebBrownies posted:

Try calling 211 if you are in the states. It it run by different agencies in different places but it is generally first call for help. They can hook you up with housing, food, low/no cost providers, and just someone to talk to.

That and exercise (im serious).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectix_Virtual_Game_Station

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 27, 2015

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

RebBrownies posted:

exercise helped me, i hope it can help you!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Leal posted:

http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/rickards/chinese-plan-to-destroy-us-dollar.php?iris=358073&ad=wc-am-cfem

I can't check my email without having some variation of China's big plan to destroy the US Dollar show up on the news feed. Other news articles include the secret plan between China and Russia, Putin's Revenge: Death of the US Dollar, 5 of the wealthiest Americans set us straight for the upcoming death of the USD and one billionaire's trip to China, and why he fears for the economy.

E: The reason I'm looking for a thread is because iirc those countries aren't exactly having the best times right now economically and makes me wonder how they can even destroy a sizable country's currency so easily.

They can't. What is it about these sources that leads you to believe their claims? Can you explain this doomsday scenario in your own words?

China's economy continues to depend on exports, with the U.S. being its largest partner. If the dollar were to decrease in value Chinese exports would become significantly more expensive. This would cause products manufactured in the U.S. and elsewhere to become relatively cheaper. As a result, fewer dollars would go to China.

Before you post another stupid link, answer the following: How would this scenario aid the Chinese?

El_Elegante fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 27, 2015

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Don't listen to these haters, Leal, you buy that gold.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I am going to Germany in a week for one week. How can I tell if I need a voltage adapter or just a plug adapter for my phone, tablet and laptop?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

See if the chargers are capable of between 100v-240v and 50/60hz. If they are (like the vast majority), you'll be fine with just a simple adapter.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I am going to Germany in a week for one week. How can I tell if I need a voltage adapter or just a plug adapter for my phone, tablet and laptop?

It depends on the hardware, but you can usually find information about this on the manufacturer's website. I know Apple products by and large do not need a voltage adapter because they accommodate both US and European voltages by default.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

stubblyhead posted:

Don't listen to these haters, Leal, you buy that gold.

Buy it, and bury it in random spots.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

This is 'Dance of the Italian Villagers' by Rubens. I'm particular interested in the actual dance portrayed in the painting. I've looked through plenty of youtube videos of folk dancing and tried to look through google about it, but as the information is quite broad, and I'm not familiar with folk tradition around the Med, I was wondering if anyone knew of this particular dance or of a similar dance? Or where to read up on traditional dancing. Most of the stuff I've seen is a bit poo poo really, I want something that captures the movement and reliance of partners rather than just doing a bit of a jig and clapping.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

Before you post another stupid link, answer the following: How would this scenario aid the Chinese?

You do know there is a reason why I asked if there was a thread right? I don't loving know

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Leal posted:

You do know there is a reason why I asked if there was a thread right? I don't loving know

Ok. It seems like if you just caught the international trade part of an economics 101 course you'd have a much better understanding of the issues involved. It wouldn't be more than a few hours.

But the bottom line is that there's no action the Chinese could take with its large amount of U.S. treasuries that would benefit all Chinese and harm all Americans. There would be winners and losers on both sides, and given China's slowing economy such a move would be too damaging to their economy for it be worthwhile.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Let's leave aside all the legal issues and copyright stuff and just assume that magically the third party company manages to get a license from both companies to make this console. They'd still need to spend millions and millions of dollars to actually develop and produce hardware that has full compatibility with just the PS4 and Xbox One games, and it would quite possibly enter the billions if it has to also handle Xbox 360 and PS3, let alone any older systems.

It'd be a supreme feat of engineering in order to manage to get all the necessary hardware into something that has to cost less than buying the two or more actual consoles on their own (because otherwise, what's the point?). Plus the system would either need to come with both PS4 and Xbox One style controllers (Xbox One has force feedback in a special way with the triggers, PS4 has a touch pad area on the controller) or find some way to combine all needed functionality in one controller.

The last time anybody made a gaming system that worked with games from two other companies' systems it was the Pioneer Laseractive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_LaserActive

That was a console that used both Laserdiscs and CDs for playback, along with cartridge ports in the removable "pacs", one of which supported Sega Genesis games (and as a result, Sega CD discs and Sega Laserdiscs) and the other that supported TurboGrafx 16 games (and TurboGrafx 16 CDs and Laserdiscs). You would buy it with one of the pacs and then need to spend an additional couple hundred bucks to get the other pac.

And before that, since the Atari 2600 was made entirely with off the shelf parts plus an easy to clone video chip, both the Intellivision and Colecovision had official addons that supported Atari 2600 games.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I think the easier way to say all of this is that consoles are loss leaders or at best revenue neutral.

The money is made in licensing deals.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I think the easier way to say all of this is that consoles are loss leaders or at best revenue neutral.

The money is made in licensing deals.

Except the Wii, I think.

That one had poo poo tons of hardware sold and very few games.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

SwissCM posted:

See if the chargers are capable of between 100v-240v and 50/60hz. If they are (like the vast majority), you'll be fine with just a simple adapter.

My laptop's is at least and I can charge the rest via USB from the laptop so looks like I'm good to go. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Over the weekend I shredded about a trash bag's worth of paper. It doesn't seem like I should put the bag in the recycling center's giant paper bin (no curbside), but I don't want to dump out all the shredded paper and have it possibly blow away. From the recycling center's point of view, which would be the least bothersome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

hooah posted:

Over the weekend I shredded about a trash bag's worth of paper. It doesn't seem like I should put the bag in the recycling center's giant paper bin (no curbside), but I don't want to dump out all the shredded paper and have it possibly blow away. From the recycling center's point of view, which would be the least bothersome?

Some recyclers don't accept shredded paper. You might want to check before you try. Whatever company or local service handles it will probably put that info on their website.