Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
By the way, I noticed a familiar face in today's Gunshow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Does anyone actually get the point behind the whole "the more passive the hero, the better" theme? It seems vaguely self-contradictory since the story wouldn't have properly started had John not, you know, been proactive and eaten the apple.

I liked this update a lot but I'm also very worried that I'm going to be extremely disappointed with the ending because I am actually 13 years old and want Homestuck to go just like my animes.

I see it as part of the coming-of-age deal myself as well, though from a different angle than the poor planning/hubris-nemesis analysis that's already been posted. When people are mere children they have great plans for the future. They want to be astronauts! Truck drivers! Scientists! Rich! Pirates! Then during adolescence reality starts to creep in, their fantasy-fueled visions of the future are compromised, sometimes they dissolve entirely. Unless they are ambitious they only have a vague idea of where they want to go and what they want to do with their lives. They have to fumble around, meander, and eventually find a flow to go with. Up until Act 6 we've been seeing the child part of characters. They set goals to accomplish, much like a kid decides they want to be an astronaut. In Act 6 we started seeing the second portion, with characters that don't really know what they want to do and are waiting for a sign to give them direction. They don't set goals themselves like children do, and so they remain passive- until a goal presents itself to them. Then they'll have found their direction and will start proactively working towards it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Roger Explosion posted:

Eh, to me that was just a whole heap of expository dialogue dumping on us the fact that all of what Vriska has done since dying didn't mean squat.

Vriskatime™ is getting increasingly not awesome. :(

It's not expositional though? Though Huss is kinda telling it to us instead of showing, this is pure, unfiltered character development. It's the fact that Vriska is stopping and openly saying "yo I don't know what to do" that makes this more significant than the John chat, though.

Also bullshit Vrisktatime is always a goodtime. Gotta beat this dead horse as much as possible.

Pick your poison:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Aw, this is super cute. It makes me imagine alpha universe Mom carrying a drunken Roxy to bed. :3:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The hell? One second there was a page showing Dirk regaining a fakeness bar, the next the page is gone.

Worst part, it could be intentional given how meta Homestuck gets sometimes.

e: Oh, it must have been rolled into the page with the hope field.

Akett fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 3, 2013

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Akett posted:

The hell? One second there was a page showing Dirk regaining a fakeness bar, the next the page is gone.

Worst part, it could be intentional given how meta Homestuck gets sometimes.

I thought it was intentional, which is why he was telling Jake to keep going?
DIRK: JAKE, YOUR HOPE FIELD IS DISSIPATING!
His realness is fluctuating as Jake's ability to sustain his Hope does.

e: trying to check but loading these pages is annoying. Not sure if MSPA needs new servers or Hussie is really dedicated to a 'breaking the page' joke and they just get harder to access the closer Jake gets to his breaking point.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 3, 2013

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So Jake is finally getting over his initial hope burst? Aranea gets to live to cause more chaos? Hell yes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is definitely a setup for Brain Ghost Dirk to seemingly lose, only for Real Dirk to swoop at the last second to finish her off.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

This is definitely a setup for Brain Ghost Dirk to seemingly lose, only for Real Dirk to swoop at the last second to finish her off.

Unfortunately that just means she'll be ready for Really Real (really) Dirk to try the same thing.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Nate RFB posted:

In true Dirk fashion, Dirk has already arrived at the scene and is silently watching people watch another version of Dirk.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Aranea collapsing to the floor as Brain-Dirk disappears, only for Real-Dirk to show up and start lightning-ing her again would be a little cruel, even to befall a Serket.

And yeah, looks like Aranea's going to survive this little hiccup after all. I guess Jake's imaginary figments never become 100% real, if they still depend on him believing in them?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Dolash posted:

Aranea collapsing to the floor as Brain-Dirk disappears, only for Real-Dirk to show up and start lightning-ing her again would be a little cruel, even to befall a Serket.

And yeah, looks like Aranea's going to survive this little hiccup after all. I guess Jake's imaginary figments never become 100% real, if they still depend on him believing in them?

Dirk needs to step up to his glasses' original wearer and deliver some awesome speeches, Kamina style.

Believe in the Dirk who believes in you, Jake!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Somebody show up with a boombox blaring Journey, stat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

Ammat The Ankh posted:

By the way, I noticed a familiar face in today's Gunshow:

Oh hey look it's Jade.
Actually, Hussie and KC Green are buddies, on twitter at least. :3:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

They braved the Olive Garden together.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's happened before.

I mean it keeps hapen...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They were just there for the zoo smells.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

The Big Whoop posted:

Oh hey look it's Jade.
Actually, Hussie and KC Green are buddies, on twitter at least. :3:

It's a squirrel. Also KC Green helped put together the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff book, if memory serves.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Lest we forget:

(That's Green and Hussie)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh god, so they've been the mirthful messiahs ALL ALONG :stonk:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

PublicOpinion posted:

Lest we forget:

(That's Green and Hussie)

Who's in the middle?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Who's in the middle?

Still KC Green (hehehehehe it's a fat joke, see.)

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Hussie's girlfriend maybe? Didn't she have an SA account and post in a previous HS thread?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Hussie's girlfriend maybe? Didn't she have an SA account and post in a previous HS thread?
Softowl, she stopped hanging out around here after dipping her toes in the FYAD pool (reasonably, I probably would have stopped posting here if I quickly tried to post in FYAD right after registering too). And yeah it might be her.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Doesn't seem just or heroic, so it may not stick, but who knows. With Jake (temporarily?) dead/distracted, brain ghost Dirk will lose his grip on Aranea or possibly cease to exist entirely while Jake is unconscious, and... maybe something will happen with Gamzee? I'm not sure if he's being controlled by Aranea out of habit now or possibly by someone else using Serket powers (HIC?) since Windfang seems a little busy at the moment. On the upside... Jane's wanted to fork Jake for a while now. :heysexy:

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 4, 2013

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I'm worried about what will happen if/when Aranea's power stops holding Gamzee back. :ohdear:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I gotta say, it's quite amazing that Tumblr has a meltdown every time a character dies, even now. I like to imagine their memory span is limited to five seconds.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm worried about what will happen if/when Aranea's power stops holding Gamzee back. :ohdear:

This, on the other hand, is actually worrying though. :ohdear:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jake is going to fall into Lava isn't he, thus rendering him unLifey Thing again.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I can't get the last page to load for the life of me. Truly, the Page must be dead.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think I'll just go to sleep and check back tomorrow. This is the worst I've seen for the website so far.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

IUG posted:

I think I'll just go to sleep and check back tomorrow. This is the worst I've seen for the website so far.

I got a couple of 503s in the mix before it all loaded!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So, Jake dies, causing Dirk to cease to exist. However, he just might pull off destroying Aranea, which frees Gamzee up to kill Terezi!

I mean, probably not, but maybe it's time for Terezi to commiserate with her old Scourge Sister. Besides, Karkat could get there just in time to see it happen and go "Nooooo!"

Kind of looks like the clusterfuck's breaking up now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Aranea returns to her body just in time to discover that Gamzee has slipped her leash, killed Terezi, and then murders Aranea before she can re-mind control him. Gamzee takes ring. :getin:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm confused about why Jane decided to kill him at all.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It didn't click for me that the mind control symbol on Gamzee's head was actually breaking up until you guys mentioned it. :ohdear:

More reasons why comprehending Homestuck is probably impossible if you try to read it on your own!

nerdbot posted:

She wants to make drat sure that the guy who was capable of beating somebody as OP as Jade is put down at the earliest opportunity so he can't gently caress things up any more. Also she probably figures/hopes she can Lifey Thing him back again later.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 4, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

nerdbot posted:

She probably thought he might try another powerup and decided to off him while she still could.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Dolash posted:

Kind of looks like the clusterfuck's breaking up now.

Besides I imagine that wherever this action is heading, it is going to be resolved in a flash on October 25th. So I don't think we will have a resolution, I think that instead the pile will keep getting taller.

Unless, of course, its resolved, we have a week or two of mini-hiatus, and then we have a flash to launch a new story arc or setting.

Or we don't get a flash or get a minimal flash.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

So Jake dies, Brain Ghost Dirk vanishes, Areana goes back to normal and continues with her plan. Nothing was accomplished because Jake is just going to get back up again because he was sucker-stabbed and there's no reason Areana can't just heal him again.

It's like this comic has a phobia of things actually occurring. I know that's always been the case in MSPA, but at this stage I'd really like it to start gaining some momentum towards the end, rather than just kind of wavering at 90% complete.

At this stage it seems impossible for there to be any stakes because nothing any of the characters does matters, so their success or failure on a direct level doesn't actually affect anything. There are some with the capability to influence things but they're either unassailably powerful with no clear goals or potentially powerful with no visible way to achieve that potential.

It seems pretty much criminal at this stage that we still don't know what LE's goal is aside from "eat universes that he's already predestined to eat, because he's predestined to eat them". No players, up to and including the seers have any strategies designed to stop him, (except perhaps Areana) and most of them don't even give a drat about stopping him in the first place aside from some vague sense of obligation.

And I'd forgive it too if I gave a drat whether any of these characters lived or died, which at this point is totally inconsequential because there's at least 2 ways any character can be saved from death, which is literally being transported to a different location that half the characters can just visit at will. Jake getting stabbed won't stick, and we know it won't stick, so at this point why bother with the big dramatic panel?

Even mind control doesn't seem to really undermine the character's original personalities, so we don't lose them or have any reason to want them back in that case either. We never missed out on Jade, she just did bad things which were kind of undesirable, but ultimately had no consequences and still don't feel like they'll last.

What I'm saying is I don't understand why this comic, at what should be its climax is hellbent on removing as much tension as possible from itself, such that even with everything occurring right now there's literally nothing to worry about at any point. I know it's not an original sentiment, but that's like two character deaths in a row that have just completely fallen flat because the pacing is so bad right now.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I like the comic too.

I wouldn't worry too much about Gamzee breaking free, he's probably gonna freak out first, then fall down because of his heavy wounds. He might be a near immortal clown but Caliborn's gunning still temporarily dropped him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm actually kind of surprised Terezi can't recognize a little Serket manipul8tion when she sees smells it.