Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Just cut and loving run, I tried to outlast a melee in my first thirty minutes and oh god everything was everywhere

That's what I ended up doing lol. I wonder if that's how they want the combat to work during the night time or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skeezy posted:

That's what I ended up doing lol. I wonder if that's how they want the combat to work during the night time or what.

Given that you still gain EXP for the fight that seems to be the case. It reminds me of Dragon's Dogma in a way - enemies' numbers and aggro range go way up at night, so if you want to duke it out you'd better be ready to attract a crowd.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aboo-GFYJ9E

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 19, 2015

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Welcome to every game this gen.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
So the FFXV demo is pretty cool. Has anyone found any of the secret swords that supposedly exist? Or any other cool secrets?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

So the FFXV demo is pretty cool. Has anyone found any of the secret swords that supposedly exist? Or any other cool secrets?

I found one in the Goblin Punch's Wild Ride.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Epi Lepi posted:

You start with one, there's another lying around in the overworld and two that you'll find on your way to completing it.

There are at least eight "Precious Frog" to gather, like nobody's found the ninth so I'm thinking it's just toying with us.

One fun guy spread rumors of a tonberry encounter and an enhanced Behemoth once it's been defeated ten times (possibly after its initial mission-defeat).

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 19, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So what else is in the demo, because every stream I've seen just does the behemoth chain and ride off to the end.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Put some more time into Type 0's combat by running around the map a bit, and I'm actually pretty impressed with the variety in styles available. Going from Rem's flippy daggers to Jack's slow counter stance was pretty jarring, but in the good "there's some meat to this" kind of way.

Also Cinque may just become my main character because holy poo poo her animations and complete lack of control over a weapon weighing more than her is hilarious. Definitely need some ranged support with her though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's clear that FFXV is in dire need of optimization in a whole bunch of places - the frame rate's a loving wreck, the camera is a worse enemy than the Behemoth, there's icky aliasing all the place Square I am very disappointed - so I'm curious to see just how much of it will be done between now and the ever-less hypothetical final release. Tabata's probably got his hands full just making sure the game has actual content right now, and all his experience has been with handheld titles, so it's totally up in the air how this is finally going to look when it hits shelves.

dontaht
Aug 4, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I wanted to see just how many I could kill. Daylight arrived before they stopped spawning.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They've got plenty of time to fix most of these issues, I don't think they'll get to poo poo like antialiasing until the game's nearly done. I don't expect it to come out perfect, but I really enjoyed the demo as a taste.

gently caress, my main problem with the demo is how weird and non-specific most of the party's reaction lines are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

It's clear that FFXV is in dire need of optimization in a whole bunch of places - the frame rate's a loving wreck, the camera is a worse enemy than the Behemoth, there's icky aliasing all the place Square I am very disappointed - so I'm curious to see just how much of it will be done between now and the ever-less hypothetical final release. Tabata's probably got his hands full just making sure the game has actual content right now, and all his experience has been with handheld titles, so it's totally up in the air how this is finally going to look when it hits shelves.

Considering how much it was rushed to release I don't think it provides a very accurate look at the final product even if the final product has problems. I've seen a lot of pre-release games and they're often in much much rougher shape than FFXV's, even in closed demo format.

They do seriously need to fix some things but that is more what I'd expect from a game still in development and long before the optimization periods.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
drat, that FFXV demo was awesome. Only managed to find one of the secret swords, though I wasn't looking too hard. Really my only complaint was that you can't move that quickly on foot, but that's about it. The game looks amazing, and the combat is super fun. I wasn't sure I'd like it as much hearing a bunch of people here saying that "you just hold L1 or square and kill things" but it's way more fun than that. And you CAN tap square and pretend you're playing kingdom hearts, I know I did. And dodging isn't completely automatic either, you can't animation-cancel from attacks to defending so you have to be safe about when you choose to attack, and when you use abilities.

After I finished the demo, I started over to show some of my roommates Prompto's excellent fighting style and we spent about a full minute laughing at him :allears:.

Xad fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 19, 2015

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

To anyone that played more than an hour in Type Zero.

Can I not finish the Mayor quest in the first town? I collected all like 6-7 people and he still says 'half the town still hasn't shown up.' Guess I have to come back later?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

They've got plenty of time to fix most of these issues, I don't think they'll get to poo poo like antialiasing until the game's nearly done. I don't expect it to come out perfect, but I really enjoyed the demo as a taste.

gently caress, my main problem with the demo is how weird and non-specific most of the party's reaction lines are.

So far my favorite moment happened during my first nighttime free-for-all. Prompto was getting knocked on his rear end every two minutes or so until Gladio finally screamed, "Prompto, is it too much to ask for you to STAY ALIVE!?"

Lay off the kid, man, he's got motor control problems.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Harlock posted:

To anyone that played more than an hour in Type Zero.

Can I not finish the Mayor quest in the first town? I collected all like 6-7 people and he still says 'half the town still hasn't shown up.' Guess I have to come back later?

Did you check the doors? I remember a couple people are inside their houses.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Prompto is the worst best because he is literally the Japanese stereotype of acting flashy so that the senpais will notice him.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tae posted:

Did you check the doors? I remember a couple people are inside their houses.
I didn't think you could go in any buildings with how ugly they were.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Harlock posted:

I didn't think you could go in any buildings with how ugly they were.

Not go in, check the doors and there should be an indicator. They'll go "Oh, there's a meeting? I'll be right out!"

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I keep missing chests in the Magitek factory in FF6 and my loot thirst is making me want to reset and grab them all

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rei_ posted:

I keep missing chests in the Magitek factory in FF6 and my desire to listen to that kicking rad magitek research facility music is making me want to reset and go back

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Oxxidation posted:

So far my favorite moment happened during my first nighttime free-for-all. Prompto was getting knocked on his rear end every two minutes or so until Gladio finally screamed, "Prompto, is it too much to ask for you to STAY ALIVE!?"

It makes me really want Gladio voiced by Warburton as Brock Sampson, I'll say that. Prompto is definitely his Hank Venture.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The guy even says "what am I supposed to do? knock on people's doors to make them come hear my speech?"

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Type-0 question, just started Ch. 3 and I'm dealing with the three days and change they give you before the first major mission.

A lot of the sidequests are pretty easy, simple ones. There's two that want me to go somewhere on the world map to kill things, but they both state that a pre-req for completing them is a specific expert mission. Said expert mission is, like, 21 level average above where my guys are at. Now I tried out the expert mission anyway and actually got surprisingly far thanks to a lot of killsights on everything, but it's a long mission, you can't save, and everyone dies in a single hit from anything, so I obviously didn't finish it.

So my question is basically, can I ignore this stuff? I'm assuming the expert missions can wait until my party levels get closer to that number, and if I don't get two minor sidequests done is that gonna cause any problems later?

Despite a few pretty annoying downsides to the game (allow me to be person #5046 to say the camera is loving atrocious Jesus Christ) I am actually digging the story in broad strokes so far. At minimum, the FFXIII concepts actually seem to be working a lot better in this setting than in their original one. Granted they have a lot of time left to ruin that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If a mission is like 20 levels above you, that means it's a 2nd playthrough mission. You literally can't start it until you get an item later in the game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You can start the expert trials though?

Doubt you 'need' to clear them

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rei_ posted:

I keep missing chests in the Magitek factory in FF6 and my loot thirst is making me want to reset and grab them all

Yeah, Devil's Lab is such a fun track. My bro got really excited when we played the "rescue Roland" mission in Borderlands 2 for the first time because the music that plays during that segment reminded him a lot of the Magitek factory song. Good times :unsmith:

If you're really worried about the stuff you missed, iirc it's kinda FF9 style where it's nice to have, but you'll be able to buy it almost immediately. Still, save money brah.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Damnit, now I'm going to have that track stuck in my head. Here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-8M2xf3ptw

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I will never dismiss Goblins in any other FF again.

So many Goblins :stonklol:

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Schwartzcough posted:

Damnit, now I'm going to have that track stuck in my head. Here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-8M2xf3ptw

I was made fun of in high school for wanting to play FF music in band and writing Square to see if they made sheet music. I still think it would have been bad rear end.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Watrick posted:

I was made fun of in high school for wanting to play FF music in band and writing Square to see if they made sheet music. I still think it would have been bad rear end.

Should've done what I did, download a demo of Finale, download a buttload of midis and transcribe them by hand to the instruments you needed. It sounded awful but it was worth it, because I got to do Frog's Theme and Celes' solo from the opera for two of my final projects.

Dec 30, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh man, this is the first time I've ever seen anybody else get excited about that track. It's probably my favourite from FF6.

Also I watched some footage of FF15 and it looks like monster hunter. It's a step up from 13 in that at some point in development they actually considered what a human being might enjoy playing. I'm still not going to play it though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FFXV doesn't play at all like Monster Hunter.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Dr Pepper posted:

It doesn't but it could benefit from this after every meal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoL-3leyrCI&t=6s

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://gfycat.com/MarriedBareAmericanbadger

Dec 30, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Well I maintain that it looks like it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I gather you haven't seen much Monster Hunter.

At a glance, FFXV more resembles a more ponderous character action game, mostly thanks to the slick cinematic presentation and the abundance of context-sensitive actions. The only thing I can think of that might give the impression is the Behemoth, and even that battle looks less MonHun and more "Slow Revengeance."

Dec 30, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I gather you haven't seen much Monster Hunter.

At a glance, FFXV more resembles a more ponderous character action game, mostly thanks to the slick cinematic presentation and the abundance of context-sensitive actions. The only thing I can think of that might give the impression is the Behemoth, and even that battle looks less MonHun and more "Slow Revengeance."

Admittedly that's exactly the bit that I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Zaphod42 posted:

You haven't seen Shiva yet :wink:

Or CidneyCindy.

When you first meet her at the garage where your busted car is parked, (go during the daytime) she's on her hands and knees with her Daisy Dukes up in the air. The fanservice is strong with this one.

Kyrosiris posted:

Given that it was said that using a summon precludes you from XP and loot, I'd imagine it's basically a "gently caress, I have no other recourse" button.

i also suspect that in the actual game you won't be able to trigger it every single time you're downed. If square is smart, they'll tie it to MP or some other resource you have to trade off.

Gologle posted:

FFXV is looking pretty worst, guys. I love the environment so far, the interactions with each other, but oddly enough I'm not digging the combat. If it were more KH style I'd love it, but right now it seems rather clunky. Everything except Garulas run around too fast for me to hit, and the Lock On seems to work when it says it wants to, and I don't fully understand how the weapons do stuff. I know that you have one weapon that does most of the attacking, and you can change that up, one weapon that initiates the attacking (you can change this also), and one that triggers when the enemy is low on health for a finishing move, and four of the weapons are associated with a Technique, but can they do that technique by themselves, as a finisher or what?

For example, if I'm using the Blood Sword as a finisher, will it drain HP or is it just the weapon that appears when I use Drain Blade?

Counterpoint, I find it pretty fun, and boy is it ever pretty.

The drain ability is innate (separate from drain blade) so afaik you will get the drain effect when you use it, regardless of which slot you stick it in. I like it as the ravage weapon though as it keeps mp ropes up so you can then pretty constantly spam the gap closing phantom sword ability - it really helps with the fast guys. For locking on, short press of r1 is temp lock on and long press will make the lock stick (extra couple small arrows show up). You can unlock by hitting r1 again , and switch lock targets by using rstick to look around.

I've beat _XV demo spoiler_: Deadeye via Ramuh cheese but there seem to be some things to do after getting the car working. I've also got three phantom blades, anyone know if I've missed any or if more available?

Rei_ posted:

So was that scene in the cave where you try to sidle through a crack and like LIKE THIRTY loving IMPS launch out of it at you and right into the camera as you're squeezing through? Because that's always been my one fear with those scenes and that was actually pretty loving freaky.

I was remote playing on my Vita and I legit jumped in my chair. Also when Prompto falls in the hole and a tonne of imps come crawling out of the ground right before the Ramuh Aetherytecrystal was pretty intense. Tempest is ok but expensive for an AOE so took a while to clear them out.

MrLonghair posted:

In case someone in the FF15 demo cannot find the spinny swordguard powerup sword, linked if you want to find it without clue on your own: http://i.imgur.com/bTNUDA2.jpg

Ohhhh, I thought I was missing one.

MrLonghair posted:

I don't know how to edit the night-battle music since it's like it's got a starting point and then it loops, cutting the start away, and it's hard to fade it in right. Can mail it to somebody who wants to host it somewhere, drop a PM.

And the only thing keeping me from taking down the Behemoth without summon cheesing is that it takes forever. Brainfarted away the technique that lunges you forward but that's the one you want to use getting as many vulnerable points hit one after another, so good. This combat is 100% different from other FF games yet I rate it as high as FF13s combat which I loved. So much fun!

Full Thrust

ImpAtom posted:

Do you think Final Fantasy XII is an action-RPG? Or Xenoblade?

It has no action elements. You don't manually dodge or manually attack. It's literally automated based off your equipment and ability setup and your remaining MP. You can avoid some attacks by repositioning yourself but you don't have any form of manual dodge. The closest is the Warp Blade which just moves to you to a set target. There are no combos or timing elements except for pressing square when the parry prompt pops up.

You do have timed parries and if you don't want to sit there burning your mp you can do timed dodges. I'm pretty sure my combos do more damage if I hit the button in sync with each strike (just like in LR)

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How is FF Type 0 remote play and can you pretend it was finally released for the Vita

I don't have a PS4 yet but I'm looking forward to that one feature

Remote play is excellent in general and type 0 works fine.

Rei_ posted:

were none of you doing full thrust or tempest through packs of enemies and blade warping around? it sounds like a lot of you were just holding square and hoping for the best. I never really had trouble getting the combat be fun and energetic and landing hits on poo poo i wanted to kill

Warp, tempest, melee til mp, warp, dragoon jump, oh gently caress I'm hurt LIGHTNING GOD SAYS gently caress YOU

So boring

Skeezy posted:

I'm still not getting the hang of combat in XV. I think I'm trying to play it like DMC or KH and tapping square constantly.

It's loving me up.

Also not a fan of these endless fights that happen sometime.

Run away from them - you don't lose any experience you've already earned.