Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Razer is scheduled to get Oreo in Q1 2018, which doesn't seem great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

docbeard posted:

Why would you put the thumbprint scanner anywhere but on the front of the phone? My thumbs are always in front.

... yes, I have other fingers, how could that possibly be relevant?

I'm probably missing the joke, but...you can use any finger on the fingerprint scanner.

Incessant Excess posted:

The Razer is scheduled to get Oreo in Q1 2018, which doesn't seem great.

And a "scheduled" update means jack poo poo. Just ask Motorola who has had millions of phones not get their scheduled updates because Moto thought "ehh, gently caress it".

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Kinda interesting news for Europeans, Xiaomi is making some of their phones officially available through Amazon.es by tomorrow. The standouts are the stock android A1 for 230 Euros (lil less than a G5S+) and the Mi Mix 2 for 500 Euros (less than any 2017 flagship I can think of).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I'm probably missing the joke, but...you can use any finger on the fingerprint scanner.

That was in fact the joke. (It was funnier when I was still waking up this morning.)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Incessant Excess posted:

Kinda interesting news for Europeans, Xiaomi is making some of their phones officially available through Amazon.es by tomorrow. The standouts are the stock android A1 for 230 Euros (lil less than a G5S+) and the Mi Mix 2 for 500 Euros (less than any 2017 flagship I can think of).

Do they support LTE band 20?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Kinda sucks that those under-screen fingerprint sensors keep getting delayed.

I don't really see the appeal of an under screen fingerprint sensor. It allows you to have a fingerprint reader on the front without a bezel but it's not like the entire screen functions as a fingerprint reader, which means you have to hit a specific spot that you can't feel the location of, seems worse than just having the reader on the back to me.

Decius posted:

Do they support LTE band 20?

The ones I mentioned do, don't know about every single phone they offer but I assume the answer is yes for those also.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
The fingerprint reader should be a usb-c dongle that attaches to your finger like an O2 sat monitor

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The fingerprint reader should be a usb-c dongle that attaches to your finger like an O2 sat monitor

This is actually the future the Android Thread wants

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is actually the future the Android Wear Thread wants

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Soon the PowerGlove shall rise again.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Any more opinions on Pixel's new vivid colour mode? Very curious.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They don't look very different but those bottom buttons are blue af

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
went to Best Buy to check out the Pixel 2, noticed that the Pixel 2 XL has near perfect display, oh the irony.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

The bottom buttons also dim when not in use, so there's that

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The thing that jumps out to me about those is... how blue they both are.
Also, has anyone released any actual display calibration readings from the 2 XL? I'd heard Erica Griffin say her phone wasn't calibrated well at all, so... has that been fixed?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

sleepwalkers posted:

Must be the extreme angle the photograph is taken from.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

:lol: my Google Now feed had a link to a warez site because I'd shown interest in Adobe products.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My Chrome has had really stuttery scrolling the last few days, no matter what site. What happened? Beta version is the same way. I'm on a Pixel 2.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Who would have thought that a photograph of a graduated color bar could gently caress with the white balance of a photo.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

sleepwalkers posted:

Also, has anyone released any actual display calibration readings from the 2 XL? I'd heard Erica Griffin say her phone wasn't calibrated well at all, so... has that been fixed?

When you switch from boosted or normal to saturated in the settings menu, the saturated makes the white background shift to a red tint vs. a blue for the boosted setting. At least on my phone.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Who would have thought that a photograph of a graduated color bar could gently caress with the white balance of a photo.

If only there were a way to adjust that... :thunk:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Goons are hyperbolic idiots, more at 11

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Amazon is currently showing the 64GB storage / 4GB RAM version of the Moto G5 Plus for 25% off ($225 instead of $300):

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Plus-5th-Generation-Unlocked/dp/B01MR2ZFBI

This is the standard unlocked version without the extra Amazon ads and apps, and a fantastic phone at that price point.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Just got the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact yesterday to replace my aging LG G5, that was on its last leg. Quick initial impressions:, Not a bad phone for $550. I can already tell this thing is going to be a beast when it comes to battery life just like my Z3 was. Good screen, good speakers, and really good specs. Haven't messed with the camera too much. The speakers are nice. Already has Oreo on it which is excellent. Pretty close to stock with a few things added in here and there. A couple things that annoy me. The finger print scanner doesn't work, and I knew that going in. However it also doesn't have double to wake, just double tap to sleep which is annoying, but I'll get use to that. It works with T-Mobile in terms of Voice over LTE and Wi-Fi calling which is a must have for me. For $550 I am quite pleased.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Anyone know if the Pixel 2 can plug into a TV with USB-C to HDMI for screen mirroring? Would be cool for Netflix at hotels but I can't find any info.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I got the November 5th security update on my P2 now, but Ron Amadeo says the KRACK fix is in the November 6th update. Did anyone get that? I don't get it even if I manually update.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man the essential phone is $450 on amazon too. I'm really tempted to buy into it but the razer has me interested too. Whats better, a proposed Oreo release of Q1 2018 or a proposed release date of a few months ago that still hasn't materialized. Is the essential company going belly up? Will the razer phone be a gimmick that they just did for their IPO? So many exiting questions!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interestingly enough, my Pixel 2 XL is on the Sept 5th patch and checking for update manually shows no updates. On Fi. I thought they were making it so check for update queries directly and there's no rollout delay?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

smoobles posted:

Anyone know if the Pixel 2 can plug into a TV with USB-C to HDMI for screen mirroring? Would be cool for Netflix at hotels but I can't find any info.

No. Pixel 2 does not support video out over USB-C.

(Maybe because they want you to buy a Chromecast, lol)

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/XMkNrMuCWu0

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Interestingly enough, my Pixel 2 XL is on the Sept 5th patch and checking for update manually shows no updates. On Fi. I thought they were making it so check for update queries directly and there's no rollout delay?

Saw someone asking about this I think on Android Police. People think that, since Fi is Sprint+T-Mobile+US Cellular, Sprint and T-Mobile are holding the updates up to make sure they pass despite it being a Google MVNO. Try removing the SIM if you didn't already do eSIM.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Blue Train posted:

Looks pretty different on my iPad Pro here. Maybe the picture uses the enhanced colour space?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Saw someone asking about this I think on Android Police. People think that, since Fi is Sprint+T-Mobile+US Cellular, Sprint and T-Mobile are holding the updates up to make sure they pass despite it being a Google MVNO. Try removing the SIM if you didn't already do eSIM.

I did eSIM. That sounds awful silly and unbelievable. Apparently there is no Oct security patch for Pixel 2s, so it's not that I'm behind it's just that it's not grabbing updates instantly when manually checked.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Blue Train posted:

I do not trust that razer phone and buying first gen hardware is often a mistake

When you think about it, it's the second phone the Nextbit engineers have made.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

OnePlus 5 update is out with fix for the KRACK wifi vulnerability and some other fixes including better fine GPS location

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Welp, ordered a Pixel 2. Really wanted a XZ1 Compact but I don't trust Sony on updates for a reasonable amount of time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I did eSIM. That sounds awful silly and unbelievable. Apparently there is no Oct security patch for Pixel 2s, so it's not that I'm behind it's just that it's not grabbing updates instantly when manually checked.

It does sound silly, I agree but it's the only thing that seems to make sense. There is a November patch (but NOT November 6th patch) for the Pixel 2s...the 11/6 patch has the KRACK fix..the one Google has pushed out is the Nov 5th patch which does not.

However it does fix the high pitched whine of the Pixel 2 and adds Samsung-style colors to the 2/2XL.

So yah, you are behind.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/07/google-posts-system-images-ota-files-pixel-2-xl-november-update-plus-new-builds-pixel-2/

The not manually grabbing updates is apparently due to the whole "carrier still has control" thing.

Though, since you can't pull your SIM, there's nothing you can do other than sideload.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Grumpwagon posted:

I got the November 5th security update on my P2 now, but Ron Amadeo says the KRACK fix is in the November 6th update. Did anyone get that? I don't get it even if I manually update.
To (sorta) answer my own question...

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/927993382424768512

EDIT: efb above..

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
If you get the amazon version of the Moto G5, can you just...remove all the amazon poo poo? Or is it baked into the rom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I thought Google literally said a month ago that when they release an update, you can hit the update button on your phone and get it? Did they go back on that already? Because I still don't see the update.

Edit: I have the unlocked Play Store 2XL

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 7, 2017