Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Diet Poison posted:

I dunno, the whole thing's getting a little too anime

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

These are all really stupid ideas.

less laughter posted:

They should definitively remove the Memories and make Silvally compatible with Arceus' Plates (and enjoy the same boosts from them)

Silvally is a disappointment in so many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Megas are cool and should not just become main evolutions. Having megas of different power is also cool, though a few have some downright baffling ability choices.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Mega Audino got screwed the most on that front, losing one of the best abilities in the game (Regenerator) but keeping one of the most useless (Healer).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Having only a single Mega Stone is an idea that'd greatly help the horrible bloat on collectable items while not hurting gameplay in the least bit. It won't ever happen, but it's a good idea.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
or make every one work like Mega Rayquaza and remove the item requirement entirely :getin:

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

less laughter posted:

or make every one work like Mega Rayquaza and remove the item requirement entirely :getin:

That would make so many mons completely broken.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I like having different mega stones, but make them a thing you have to find in cool or fitting places at the appropriate time in the story (like give you Mega Beedrill once regular Beedrill stops keeping up) rather than buying them at the thing in the postgame.

Like I really enjoyed having Mega Lopunny and Mega Swampert as "new" after I beat the main story but honestly Mega Lopunny probably could have come around the time the Necrozma poo poo goes south

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think megas are awful overall. The only one with a good design that should become a new evolution for that Pokemon is Houndoom.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Mega Mawile is an extreme cutie

e: I am ashamed of myself for not saying "mega cutie"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I want them to retcon the Carbink family into a regular 3-stage line instead of the mess it is now

so instead of Carbink | Diancie > Mega Diancie it goes Carbink > Diancie > Diamonarch

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Monarkly.

Having one mega stone would be sucky for item clause, meaning you couldn't have two potential megas on a team. But really, who cares about competitive.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The *only* issue I have with the "One Megastone for all" idea is the fact that Charizard and Mewtwo have 2 mega forms each.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zuzie posted:

The *only* issue I have with the "One Megastone for all" idea is the fact that Charizard and Mewtwo have 2 mega forms each.
Mega Evolve button > menu popup > choose which one you want

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blaziken386 posted:

Mega Evolve button > menu popup > choose which one you want

nonononononononono

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Choose it when you give it the item.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's....actually a really good idea. It'd be super convenient, but I wonder how hard it would be to change the programming at this point?

it wouldn't be difficult at all, but they won't do it because they don't want to.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zuzie posted:

megastone x and megastone y

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Countblanc posted:

Megas are cool and should not just become main evolutions. Having megas of different power is also cool, though a few have some downright baffling ability choices.

Mons that are already weak are already pretty flexible with how you can buff them (Beedrill being the most badass example) but in the case of strong mons, offering a new playstyle is much more preferable than the “it gets stronger” route. (i.e. more like Gyarados and Garchomp and less like Tyranitar and Scizor)

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

True facts

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Countblanc posted:

All megas of Pokemon that still have room to evolve should just be an evolution.

I want cool non-garbage-stats shrine maiden Mawile at all times :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

U.T. Raptor posted:

All megas of Pokemon that still have room to evolve should just be an evolution.

I want cool non-garbage-stats shrine maiden Mawile at all times :colbert:

Honestly, I agree but retconning stuff would be incredibly stupid in a series that really needs to keep consistency over its monsters.

I still wish stuff like Mega Mawile would've been just normal evolutions though, if only to have fuller lines.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Pokémon cards is fun y'all. Zoroark-GX is like playing Wigglytuf back in 2000, but a million times better because it draws cards too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I dont want to live in a world where someone can have a nuMegamawile and a Mega Scizor

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

less laughter posted:

Mega Audino got screwed the most on that front, losing one of the best abilities in the game (Regenerator) but keeping one of the most useless (Healer).

I like megas, but Mega Audino is one of the few that really should just be a regular evolution. It's just not good enough to use up someone's only mega spot, but if it could hold items and kept regenerator it would be pretty darn decent.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Tired: consolidate mega stones into a single item

Wired: make all mega evolutions work like Battle Bond

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The Pokemon battle system doesn't really need major changes, except perhaps to eliminate some of the more offensive random elements. To make Pokemon games feel fresh game freak should work on overhauling everything that happens outside of battle.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Ogmius815 posted:

The Pokemon battle system doesn't really need major changes, except perhaps to eliminate some of the more offensive random elements.

I nearly threw my 3DS out the window yesterday when I used Thunderbolt on a Mudbray and Pikachu turned around and called me a fag

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

:yikes:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Weird question, but is there a simple online test that displays Pokemon and quizzes you on whether its base Defense or Special Defense is lower?

I need to make my choosing of Psychic vs. Psyshock ultimately optimized.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Scholtz posted:

Weird question, but is there a simple online test that displays Pokemon and quizzes you on whether its base Defense or Special Defense is lower?

No promises but I could see this being something I'd do for fun if I'm bored, might throw something really basic together.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Scholtz posted:

The issue with something like that is that to get a useful answer out you need to have some idea not just of which pokemon have higher def/spdef, but which pokemon you're actually likely to care about. This will be different depending on whether you are intending to play Smogon battles, official Nintendo format battles, in-game battle facilities, etc.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

AlphaKretin posted:

No promises but I could see this being something I'd do for fun if I'm bored, might throw something really basic together.

Oh rad, that would be cool! Let me know if you do make something like that.

Hammerite posted:

The issue with something like that is that to get a useful answer out you need to have some idea not just of which pokemon have higher def/spdef, but which pokemon you're actually likely to care about. This will be different depending on whether you are intending to play Smogon battles, official Nintendo format battles, in-game battle facilities, etc.

Ahhhh, but what if I just memorize all the Pokemon, hmmmm??

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I hope they prune back some of the general bloat in the series for the next game. A single mega stone and unifying the plates and Memories are terrific ideas. Here's some that come to mind for me:

Get rid of incense hold items and just make all applicable Pokémon species produce the baby species when they breed.

Discard some of the weird items that they never intend to be available (the gems for example) and get rid of redundant items like Lava Cookies. Maybe axe some of the useless hold items intended for competitive play that no one ever uses so it doesn't clutter up the inventory.

Streamline the methods for making Pokémon change form. There's a variety of special key items, objects in the world, moves, and held items that were cool during the generation they were introduced, but when these methods have to keep getting passed forward into future games, it's cumbersome as hell. It'll be awkward if come generation 8 we still have 4 unique items to hunt down just to change Oricorio's form and 4 unique items to change Genesect's unique move.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 6, 2018

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Mizuti posted:

Get rid of incense hold items and just make all applicable Pokémon species produce the baby species when they breed.

Actually, this is kinda bad because Baby Pokémon need to evolve in order to breed themselves, which adds an extra unnecessary step to breeding certain competitive monsters.

quote:

Discard some of the weird items that they never intend to be available (the gems for example) and get rid of redundant items like Lava Cookies. Maybe axe some of the useless hold items intended for competitive play that no one ever uses so it doesn't clutter up the inventory.

I actually love the specialty items as they add "flavor". Hau's character wouldn't be the same without his obsession with Malasalas. Although I did wish that they can be consumed by Pokémon in battle, just like berries.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zuzie posted:

Actually, this is kinda bad because Baby Pokémon need to evolve in order to breed themselves, which adds an extra unnecessary step to breeding certain competitive monsters.

Then stop classifying them as "baby" pokemon and treat them the same as any other first-stage monster.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

TaurusOxford posted:

Then stop classifying them as "baby" pokemon and treat them the same as any other first-stage monster.

You want babies to be able to breed?? Disgusting.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It depends if GF have any interest cutting down on all the excess poo poo they put into the game. With an unlimited bag space, what's another 100 items?

If you look through the code, you'll also realise that every single item is still there in the most recent games, GF literally ports everything over when they start a new game and work from there. Azure Flute? Still in Gen 7. Lock Capsule? Still in Gen 7. That Meteorite you obtained at the start of ORAS and changed its sprite 4 times throughout the game? All four of those sprites are still in the game with descriptions attached to them in Gen 7. The weird thing is, inbetween Gen 5 and 6 a lot of dummy items you'll never obtain got their text changed for whatever reason. It's pretty nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

I never knew Mienshao had those little paws :monocle: