Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

ineptmule posted:

Man, I really hope that was the joke all along and you've just been waiting for someone to ask. Dedication.

The joke is that it is the stupid questions megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

WarpedNaba posted:

I remembered a cartoon series with shorts that would run for approximately a minute, something like 'The amazing world of Mr Werks' or something.

It would start like so:
"Say, Bobby, do you know how X works?"
"Why sure, Mr Werks! *Detailed description*"
"Wrong, Bobby!"
"Wha-? But I thought-"
"*Convoluted yet humourous false description*"

It would conclude with "We have this thanks to Y, Z and good old American know-how!"

Such false descriptions would be things like 'You tug a tea bag to start a million tiny mowers hidden inside them' and 'Tires move because there are a ton of micro speedboats resting in the water inside them (Which is why you see so many discarded tires with water in) and 'Straws are prehistoric cave creatures that adapted themselves to human use.'

Google isn't helping at all. What's the series called?

I remember these. I was thinking KaBlam!, but I checked the wikipedia page and couldn't see a mention.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I need some tips on stuff I can do with my hands while at my phone job. I don't interact with customers or do much keyboard work and while I'm off calls I can goof around on the internet or read or whatever, but on calls I just have to sit there and it can get really mind-numbing. I can't do anything messy and I'm not allowed to have my phone with me or have anything else up on the computer screen during a call. I also can't do anything that takes up too much concentration. I hate sudoku. I draw but I don't always feel inspired. All I can come up with is knitting but I don't really want to. I just need something repetitive to be busy at. Any ideas?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Make 10000 paper cranes and wish for a better job.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

butt dickus posted:

Make 10000 paper cranes and wish for a better job.

Origami is a good idea.

It's a good job actually. Worst thing I can say about it is it gets dull.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
whittle

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

If only, but it's messy. Origami is it for now.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If i live in the East Coast, what is the best way to survive the tidal wave form Deep Impact, not counting flight?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baron Porkface posted:

If i live in the East Coast, what is the best way to survive the tidal wave form Deep Impact, not counting flight?

Build one of those concrete dome houses some people have in Florida and the gulf coast.
http://domeofahome.com/

You'd probably end up with one of the windows breaking or whatever and thus some flooding, but you'd survive pretty decently.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I have been interested in reading books in the Warhammer 40k series, but have no idea where to start. I played a bit of Dawn of War 2 and Space Marine, but nothing more than that. Looking online tells me to start with books I can't seem to find for less than 100 bucks. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a novelization of Starcraft? I don't feel like playing the first game, but I really like the setting.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I have a question.

I was once told by a Scandinavian friend of mine that there was a party fad in whatever country he was from (Norway I think) where a guy would pick up another guy by his shoulder and boner for a photo in a bizarre dare. Apparently, this was a thing between apparently straight guys. I didn't believe him, and he searched something on Google and found an example quickly.

Now I was just talking to a couple more scandies and they deny all knowledge of this and think I'm just taking the piss. I swear I'm not crazy. Help me scandy goons.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Doctor_Acula posted:

I have been interested in reading books in the Warhammer 40k series, but have no idea where to start. I played a bit of Dawn of War 2 and Space Marine, but nothing more than that. Looking online tells me to start with books I can't seem to find for less than 100 bucks. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a novelization of Starcraft? I don't feel like playing the first game, but I really like the setting.

I once read the first Eisenhorn book by Dan Abnett after I won it. I don't play 40k other than games like you, but it was pretty good. I think most of it will be trashy, but I think this guy has a good rep.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

I have a question.

I was once told by a Scandinavian friend of mine that there was a party fad in whatever country he was from (Norway I think) where a guy would pick up another guy by his shoulder and boner for a photo in a bizarre dare. Apparently, this was a thing between apparently straight guys. I didn't believe him, and he searched something on Google and found an example quickly.

Now I was just talking to a couple more scandies and they deny all knowledge of this and think I'm just taking the piss. I swear I'm not crazy. Help me scandy goons.

That sounds painful as hell and also dangerous.

And gross. I'm imagining the origin story involving some gross European liquorice liquor and a sauna.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Croisquessein posted:

I need some tips on stuff I can do with my hands while at my phone job. I don't interact with customers or do much keyboard work and while I'm off calls I can goof around on the internet or read or whatever, but on calls I just have to sit there and it can get really mind-numbing. I can't do anything messy and I'm not allowed to have my phone with me or have anything else up on the computer screen during a call. I also can't do anything that takes up too much concentration. I hate sudoku. I draw but I don't always feel inspired. All I can come up with is knitting but I don't really want to. I just need something repetitive to be busy at. Any ideas?

Make lucky paper stars. Each one is made out of a long strip of paper and you can buy packets of the paper strips at most Japanese gift shop or stationery stores (even somewhere like Daisu if they have one in your city). When I worked at a call centre I spent all day making paper stars and it was very calming and a good distraction from boring or bad calls.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Jeza posted:

I have a question.

You get some weird localised stuff like that. One Swedish guy I knew said one of their favourite party pranks was called (something like) ola, which basically meant tipping. This involved finding a frosted over window and pressing your penis head against it to leave a distinct impression for everyone to see.

Other Swedish friends have nfi what he's talking about and this isn't even crossing country borders here for weird stupid poo poo people do at parties.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Jeza posted:

I have a question.

Not Scandinavian, but this is called böglyft.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Jeza posted:

I have a question.

Böglyft. It was a Swedish thing.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

SporkOfTruth posted:

Not Scandinavian, but this is called böglyft.

The picture from this article kind of ruins it. Somehow I imagined it being some kind of overhead lift thing. Yeah, that doesn't sound logical and feasible now that I really think of it

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

WarpedNaba posted:

I remembered a cartoon series with shorts that would run for approximately a minute, something like 'The amazing world of Mr Werks' or something.

It would start like so:
"Say, Bobby, do you know how X works?"
"Why sure, Mr Werks! *Detailed description*"
"Wrong, Bobby!"
"Wha-? But I thought-"
"*Convoluted yet humourous false description*"

It would conclude with "We have this thanks to Y, Z and good old American know-how!"

Such false descriptions would be things like 'You tug a tea bag to start a million tiny mowers hidden inside them' and 'Tires move because there are a ton of micro speedboats resting in the water inside them (Which is why you see so many discarded tires with water in) and 'Straws are prehistoric cave creatures that adapted themselves to human use.'

Google isn't helping at all. What's the series called?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh2Aw0cNzzs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

Build one of those concrete dome houses some people have in Florida and the gulf coast.
http://domeofahome.com/

You'd probably end up with one of the windows breaking or whatever and thus some flooding, but you'd survive pretty decently.

That tsunami was several hundred meters high, there's no way of surviving it without being deep underground. Those dome houses look good for hurricanes, but being smashed by hundreds of millions of tons of water will just wash them away. A tsunami isn't a regular wave with a crest that breaks, it's a moving mound of water that will flatten everything in its path. Keep in mind that the tsunami that hit the Tōhoku coast in 2011 was only (lol) 40m high, but that it was also moving at around 100m/s. I don't think even a building that can survive 300m/hr winds could survive 300km/hr water.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Memento posted:

That tsunami was several hundred meters high, there's no way of surviving it without being deep underground. Those dome houses look good for hurricanes, but being smashed by hundreds of millions of tons of water will just wash them away. A tsunami isn't a regular wave with a crest that breaks, it's a moving mound of water that will flatten everything in its path. Keep in mind that the tsunami that hit the Tōhoku coast in 2011 was only (lol) 40m high, but that it was also moving at around 100m/s. I don't think even a building that can survive 300m/hr winds could survive 300km/hr water.

The wall of water wasn't going to still be that high 100 miles inland. Building one of them like outside Albany is still East Coast.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

The wall of water wasn't going to still be that high 100 miles inland. Building one of them like outside Albany is still East Coast.

That's a good point, I was more thinking of the major coastal cities. Any one of them would be completely boned.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any reason you couldn't just skip diapers most of the time for a baby by keeping them in a play pen with a bunch of cat litter?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
The baby might eat the litter

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

program666 posted:

The baby might eat the litter

Is that actually bad for the baby though, given no actual cat poop will be present, just baby poop?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

IOU one beej.

Croisquessein posted:

Here's a question: How do you nutjobs get jobs where you have the spare time to goof off on the net? Every accounting job I've had in the past 6 years has been rush-off-your-feet from 8 to 5:30.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Croisquessein posted:

Buy 100 tiny disc-shaped neodymium magnets, 64 small cube magnets, and at least three 1' diameter stainless steel bearing balls. Integrate metal office objects into your magnetic circus as they present themselves. This will help you survive drudgery and would probably keep you entertained through a year's solitary confinement.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Get a book on American Sign Language, and start teaching it to yourself. You can go over hand signs while you're on the phone with people to practice, and within a year you'll be ready to get certified as an interpreter and you can quit your boring job!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

baquerd posted:

Any reason you couldn't just skip diapers most of the time for a baby by keeping them in a play pen with a bunch of cat litter?

Apart from the inevitable abrasions as they crawl over the cat litter getting filled with excrement, which would cause septicemia, I can't think of any. Also, eating your own poop is actually really loving bad for you. Poop contains things that are supposed to be in your lower gut and introducing them to your stomach can make you quite sick, which if you're immunocompromised - like being a baby - can kill you.

Like, gently caress me, this is the gooniest question I've ever read. I'd like to think you're just trolling, but I've been around these forums for too long to give you the benefit of the doubt.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

IOU one beej.

Here's a question: How do you nutjobs get jobs where you have the spare time to goof off on the net? Every accounting job I've had in the past 6 years has been rush-off-your-feet from 8 to 5:30.

Customer service jobs like tech support need people capable of answering the phones and being able to fix problems 24x7. But they don't need them to answer the phones all that often. So if nobody is calling and complaining, then nobody has to do anything. That can lead to a lot of downtime.

That said, you're probably making several times more as an accountant, since working tech support doesn't pay very well.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 30, 2015

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Baron Porkface posted:

In the film deep impact Dr Wolf is killed in a car accident while trying to get the message out, so campaign for better road safety.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

WarpedNaba posted:

IOU one beej.

You kind of answered your own question. Most people don't work in accounting.

My old job as an army officer was basically long stretches of nothing (well, except for drafting plans, getting plans approved, then supervising implementation, all bottlenecked by the top and bottom of the process) with like three months a year, sometimes straight, of actual 20-24 hour work days.

Now I've been teaching secondary school and it's actually just on your feet from 7:30-4:30 with a break in between every second day. Marking and planning a couple of hours a night, most nights. In this job I don't even have time to check my emails.

I'd say most people are involved in some sort of convoluted bureaucracy that means they have to spend a lot of time waiting for other people to process stuff before they can do their actual job duties.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

baquerd posted:

Is that actually bad for the baby though, given no actual cat poop will be present, just baby poop?

Baby poop is still not healthy to be around.

Litter only captures odor when the poop is covered in it, and babies don't have that instinct like cats.

Letting your baby wallow in its own filth is abusive and neglectful.

I could go on.

If you're trying to avoid the cost or environmental impact of diapers, you might look into "elimination communication" as an alternative, but be prepared for lots of accidents.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
There a song by Chicago called If You leave Me Now. The opening sounds very much like an old TV theme song. It's just that first horn part, maybe the strings, once the singing starts it's completely different. But the horn part is virtually identical by my memory. It's a show from the late 70s or early 80s I think. I keep thinking it was a medical drama but I'm not sure.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Okay, is milk bad for you? I can literally find eight million articles supporting one side or another. Ideally, I would be able to keep drinking milk because I loving love it, but if it's actually not any good for me or my body isn't absorbing the calcium, I can't see the point.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

cash crab posted:

Okay, is milk bad for you? I can literally find eight million articles supporting one side or another. Ideally, I would be able to keep drinking milk because I loving love it, but if it's actually not any good for me or my body isn't absorbing the calcium, I can't see the point.

I've never heard anything about milk being bad for you (other than maybe drink milk with less fat in it). What are the arguments that it's bad? And I'd also check the sources for both sides to make sure you're getting reputable information.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Maybe this is better suited for the legal questions megathread, but... if you're test driving a car, and you get in a wreck, are you on the hook for paying the damages (to either the test model or the other car), or is the dealership? And does "you break it, you buy it" apply to cars as well? (I was reading the Schadenfreude thread and a pic there inspired this question; I have not destroyed any cars on test drives.)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

cash crab posted:

This guy seems to know what he's talking about, he generally looks at all the data available, meta analysis, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzyFZcuHmeI

Bottom line: You don't need it, but it's still delicious. I mean, most people are lactose intolerant (something like 70% of all humans IIRC) and (as he points out) we did just fine before we domesticated animals and started drinking their milk. The dangers are mostly in over consumption, especially in children, but for a healthy adult drinking in moderation there's no harm in drinking milk.

If loving loving it isn't enough of a point to keep drinking it, you might as well stop, but as long as you're not guzzling down liters a day, why? It's delicious.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

hooah posted:

I've never heard anything about milk being bad for you (other than maybe drink milk with less fat in it). What are the arguments that it's bad? And I'd also check the sources for both sides to make sure you're getting reputable information.

Taeke posted:

This guy seems to know what he's talking about, he generally looks at all the data available, meta analysis, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzyFZcuHmeI

Bottom line: You don't need it, but it's still delicious. I mean, most people are lactose intolerant (something like 70% of all humans IIRC) and (as he points out) we did just fine before we domesticated animals and started drinking their milk. The dangers are mostly in over consumption, especially in children, but for a healthy adult drinking in moderation there's no harm in drinking milk.

If loving loving it isn't enough of a point to keep drinking it, you might as well stop, but as long as you're not guzzling down liters a day, why? It's delicious.

I can't watch the video right this minute, but thank you. I am definitely not lactose intolerant.

I also just went looking around through the sources for sites that claim that milk actually causes osteoporosis but I found a link to a site that collects medical data, and milk without added vitamin D seems to be the killer, not just milk on its own. These sites were quoting medical journals, but it turns out they were taken out of context.

I'm just worried about it because my doctor specifically told me to look after my bone density because one of my medications apparently causes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mister Kingdom posted:

E: Googling architectural building sets led me to the right thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_%28construction_set%29

Thanks!

Here's a video of the building set. Would this be considered Art Deco style?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtaOkKvWfpk