Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Besides a lack of minorities, something more systemic of media as a whole than Homestuck, how is Homestuck racist?

I guess Dave talked about immigrants once?

It's probably because of the controversy that erupted in response to the older, unaltered version of this page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I never understood that. Wouldn't that imply that most people aren't white then? Or at least Jane isn't. (Also wasn't she officially depicted with dark skin in one of the album covers?)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Burkion posted:

I never understood that. Wouldn't that imply that most people aren't white then? Or at least Jane isn't. (Also wasn't she officially depicted with dark skin in one of the album covers?)

Hussie and his fans have a complicated dynamic. Let's just leave it at that.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Besides a lack of minorities, something more systemic of media as a whole than Homestuck, how is Homestuck racist?

I guess Dave talked about immigrants once?

Homestuck doesn't have to be super racist but Hussie is pretty oblivious about race.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Dude just wanted to let fans decide the kids race in their fanart. But that's all well worn history.

Ask your internet acquaintance, which I am going to interpret as "Drug Dealer", is he or she has actually read Homestuck and then grill them about their complaints when they say yes to see if their complaints are fair or just angry BS. Then score some coke from him/her

KATY PERRY posted:

Homestuck doesn't have to be super racist but Hussie is pretty oblivious about race.

It doesn't help that when he tries his best to deal with the white sprites, saying fans are free to say whatever, others insist on coming in and saying "But in one line you said..."
No matter what he says or does someone somewhere is going to find a way to twist what he says (not always a hard thing to do) which others will latch on to.

Popo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 5, 2013

cloudy music
Aug 23, 2008

frozentreasure posted:

So a person I would dub an "Internet acquaintance" just said "Homestuck is poo poo with bad art, uninteresting writing, and plenty of racism, and if you like it I kind of don't trust you on some level." Trying to figure out if I should respond to it; and if so, with what.

Wow all that's missing is "Dirk, Eridan and Caliborn are literally rapists" :forkbomb:

I would say how ridiculous it is to distrust someone over liking a webcomic. Then again, if you met someone who said they were a huge fan of Dominic Deegan, how else would you be able to react?

Xochipilli
Dec 9, 2008

Popo posted:

Ask your internet acquaintance, which I am going to interpret as "Drug Dealer", is he or she has actually read Homestuck and then grill them about their complaints when they say yes to see if their complaints are fair or just angry BS. Then score some coke from him/her

I got this stuff...Skaia flake cocaine. We're talking god-tier product, here. Or maybe I could interest you with some Colours and Mayhem? Yes, I accept bitcoin.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Xochipilli posted:

I got this stuff...Skaia flake cocaine Special Stardust. We're talking god-tier product, here. Or maybe I could interest you with some Colours and Mayhem? Yes, I accept bitcoin.

:cmon:

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

That was about a week ago.

So a person I would dub an "Internet acquaintance" just said "Homestuck is poo poo with bad art, uninteresting writing, and plenty of racism, and if you like it I kind of don't trust you on some level." Trying to figure out if I should respond to it; and if so, with what.

Ask them if they've read it and no matter what they say stop acquainting with them because anyone who "doesnt trust you on some level" because of a webcomic is really hosed up

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Madtrixr posted:

Ask them if they've read it and no matter what they say stop acquainting with them because anyone who "doesnt trust you on some level" because of a webcomic is really hosed up

I would say this, generally. Exceptions: webcomic in question is loli guro grossness. I'd definitely revise my opinion on someone if I knew that was their entertainment of choice.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I should say that I already know that they have only read, in their own words, "some" of it, which I am gonna safely assume means they never made it past Act 1. When I tweeted "that was worth four days" in response to the soul-stealing update, they replied with this, if you care (you don't, trust me). That's why I said I was trying to figure out if it was even worth responding to. I'm pretty sure that what they said more recently was in response to their girlfriend getting upset at something in Homestuck that I don't know what getting defended with "but it's satire!"

But anyway, thanks for at least confirming that the original reply I gave them then (if you haven't read it you can't pass any judgement on it) wasn't stupid of me; sorry for bringing Internet Drama™ in here. Carry on deciphering the new SBaHJ page into what it means for Homestuck.

Also, consider this: Dave's currently flying at top-speed, chasing two demigods to rescue his own demigod friend, and he's found time to make the art better. Either that, or Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff are actually being penned by a beta Dave at this point, to then be amalgamated into the alpha timeline.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

frozentreasure posted:

Also, consider this: Dave's currently flying at top-speed, chasing two demigods to rescue his own demigod friend, and he's found time to make the art better. Either that, or Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff are actually being penned by a beta Dave at this point, to then be amalgamated into the alpha timeline.

Or he's so rushed that he can't afford the time to make it worse.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

cloudy music posted:

Wow all that's missing is "Dirk, Eridan and Caliborn are literally rapists" :forkbomb:

I would say how ridiculous it is to distrust someone over liking a webcomic. Then again, if you met someone who said they were a huge fan of Dominic Deegan, how else would you be able to react?

Sadly, I know someone whose favorite webcomic was Dominic Deegan. Admittedly he didn't read a lot of webcomics, but... he didn't just like it, it was his FAVORITE. But he's a very nice dude otherwise so I never really held it against him, and never even ruined it for him telling him why it was a poo poo comic.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Homestuck is a comic I like but understand wholeheartedly why other people despise it and people who read it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't know, it's a comic where the worst thing you can really say about the work itself is "it's too long and boring" or "it's badly drawn" (I mean if you're determined to say bad things about it). It's hardly harmful on its own. Now when you see the horrendous fandom then yeah, that's pretty bad. To a certain extent this is true of every fandom.

Now there are other works where both the fandom and the work itself is horrible, like that Hetalia thing. I haven't really watched MLP but as I understand it's a harmless series for girls that somehow created a detestable community.

So, the HS community as a whole is terrible and to be avoided, but I've never understood when people say they hate the comic itself. And oh boy, some people love to tell how much they hate homestuck, as much as fans like to tell others about homestuck.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Popo posted:

It doesn't help that when he tries his best to deal with the white sprites, saying fans are free to say whatever, others insist on coming in and saying "But in one line you said..."
No matter what he says or does someone somewhere is going to find a way to twist what he says (not always a hard thing to do) which others will latch on to.

Well he did kind of sort of respond to the issue by pulling a "mayhaps it is you who are the racists" gambit. I'm going to give the guy some slack and assume that was more him shooting his mouth of as he is wont to do and not actually him being full blown Not Racist.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Kickstarter sticker sheets are the obvious canon source of information on the race of the main characters:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Even if Homestuck were bad, it would still be extremely interesting formally. Anyone with an interest in hypercomics should follow it even if they hate it, as it's one of very few works on the bleeding edge of that particular medium.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Bongo Bill posted:

Even if Homestuck were bad, it would still be extremely interesting formally. Anyone with an interest in hypercomics should follow it even if they hate it, as it's one of very few works on the bleeding edge of that particular medium.

So...you're saying High Schoolers should have to write essays on Homestuck?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Blackheart posted:

Sadly, I know someone whose favorite webcomic was Dominic Deegan. Admittedly he didn't read a lot of webcomics, but... he didn't just like it, it was his FAVORITE. But he's a very nice dude otherwise so I never really held it against him, and never even ruined it for him telling him why it was a poo poo comic.

Are... Are you saying you're friends with Mookie?

Anyway, I wonder if Dave drew the new SBaHJ on his way over to LoFaF and decided he wasn't going to get time to make it look worse and decided to upload it while chasing Bec Blanc and Noir.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Who What Now posted:

Are... Are you saying you're friends with Mookie?

Anyway, I wonder if Dave drew the new SBaHJ on his way over to LoFaF and decided he wasn't going to get time to make it look worse and decided to upload it while chasing Bec Blanc and Noir.

Wasn't there some speculation that SBaHJ has been shifting between several different characters to account for the different art styles? Like first it was Dave, then Davesprite, then back to Dave, and now it might even be Dirk trying to emulate the adult B2 Dave?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Wasn't there some speculation that SBaHJ has been shifting between several different characters to account for the different art styles? Like first it was Dave, then Davesprite, then back to Dave, and now it might even be Dirk trying to emulate the adult B2 Dave?

The thought's crossed my mind. This one was hanging on Dirk's wall. There are also varying amounts of JPEG artifact-related distortion and multiply reused panels.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bongo Bill posted:

The thought's crossed my mind. This one was hanging on Dirk's wall. There are also varying amounts of JPEG artifact-related distortion and multiply reused panels.

Yeah I'd say that one, or maybe one or two before (chorlie brown and stop yiffin my butt) would be the start "Dirk's" era if we're going with that theory, but there's some overlap.

I mean compare how Hella Jeff's beard is drawn even a few pages before here to how it starts to get drawn from yiffing and on. Pretty different style.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 6, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pyroi posted:

So...you're saying High Schoolers should have to write essays on Homestuck?

My English teacher friend says that they already do by their own volition.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

^^^ Argh ^^^

Who What Now posted:

This makes sense, since it actually takes a while of photoshop fuckery to fully poo poo-ify an image so it looks like some of the worst (best) SBAHJ strips.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Fister Roboto posted:

My English teacher friend says that they already do by their own volition.

Any actual gems to be found among that number, or just "gems"?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Are you saying that its the Ulysses of the internet?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oh look. An update with 26 pages. And an unstable server.

:suicide:

I hope Hussie has at least looked into this to some degree because god drat.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh look! The website is down. That must mean it updated. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I can see the updates but the site wont load aaaaaaaaagh! 26 new pages! :ohdear:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
The way Gamzee's head is shaking in the last panel is a shade or two of disturbing. By golly.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

http://mspaintadven.tumblr.com/post/63338199427/more

mirror!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

graybook posted:

The way Gamzee's head is shaking in the last panel is a shade or two of disturbing. By golly.

Yeah, that's uh that's something right there.

Events are certainly unraveling!

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Jesus Christ, if Gamzee pretending to be hurt and back to his old self just to get Terezi to put down her weapon wasn't the creepiest poo poo, I don't know what is.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

See guys nothing ever happens in this comOH HOLY poo poo

So I'm guessing Condy has assumed full remote control? And oh god Gamzee didn't remain calm for all time Hussie YOU LIAR!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think it's safe to say at this point that Aranea is full of poo poo and/or hot air and is not nearly as good of a schemer as she pretends to be.

I'm half convinced her earlier smug "go ahead and try to cut off my arm" comments were just a double bluff and she never had a real defense against that in the first place.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
WARNING. WARNING. GAMZEE HAS GONE FULL LEMONGRAB. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

thank you

Holy poo poo that clown
It's a bit disorienting, because of not checking it for a few days, I kind of forgot what happened I think Jake died, but I'm not sure. So Jane's just so pissed at this point, instead of doing the lifey thing on Jake she just straight up attacks Adrena, and overpowers the tiara? AND ATTACKING WHILE ASLEEP ahhhh

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 7, 2013

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Hey Aranea. When somebody is slowly shambling towards you, there's this thing you can do called "walking away." Try it sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

graybook posted:

He's somehow even crazier than during Murderstuck. Either being mind-controlled for a long time or being around Caliborn could have done it, but since it's Gamzee, who really knows?