Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I always forget red boxes have games. There’s one by my job, I’ll rent it on monday.

As a huge Dark Souls fan who also loves MHW, there's some comparisons to be made but there's a lot of differences too. MHW isn't nearly as punishing as Dark Souls since you don't lose progression when you die, hell there's no experience points at all, your stats/abilities all come from your equipment which you craft from defeating monsters and gathering materials

EDIT: Well there's some character progression like your hunter rank increases from completing missions but that just lets you tackle higher rank missions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Hey can someone who's played both the SotC ps2 version and remake explain to me what's changed? Are the bosses all the same with the same solution? Is the map a to scale copy or have routes to the collossus changed? The reason i ask is i played the hell out of it on ps2 and again on ps3 so I'm hesitant to pay for it a 3rd time if its just a graphically relevant copy. I read a few reviews and they didn't mention anything new besides coins.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bedlam posted:

Hey can someone who's played both the SotC ps2 version and remake explain to me what's changed? Are the bosses all the same with the same solution? Is the map a to scale copy or have routes to the collossus changed? The reason i ask is i played the hell out of it on ps2 and again on ps3 so I'm hesitant to pay for it a 3rd time if its just a graphically relevant copy. I read a few reviews and they didn't mention anything new besides coins.

Nothing has changed gameplay-wise. All the colossuses, their locations, and their solutions are identical.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Turtle beach 50p is cheap and cheerful

I'll give this a try, but I'd rather have one that lets me continue to use my normal speakers. Turtle Beach does seem to have a one-ear model, is that any good?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bedlam posted:

Nothing has changed besides the graphics and controls.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Not entirely true, there's a dope photo mode now. Also You can watch Agro wander (pun not intended) if you don't touch anything on the menu screen, not sure that was in the PS2/3 version.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want to say the Forbidden Land feels larger geometrically but that may just be because you can see super far into the distance now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Steep is on sale. Reinstalled it because of the Winter Olympics and the fact it’s snowing, and I gotta say I’ve really warmed up to it as a low pressure but challenging chillout game. The version on sale has the Winter Olympics expansion. It’s 40 bucks but if it seems your speed, I recommend it.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I might just wait for a sale. Though I could use another pretty game to justify my ps4 Pro purchase.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So far my favorite part has been riding through the rainforest area to the 4th or 5th colossus. I had to get off the horse just to hang out in the area for a while.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yo did I miss rest mode Thunderdome?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Something I want to advise those new to Shadow of the Collosus:

The map is absolutely littered with cool ruins and weird, memorable locations that the game will never ever take you. If something looks cool, go check it out, you can’t really sequence break or ruin anything for yourself. There is literally an underwater pyramid in a lake miles away from the nearest colossus, there are secret mountain tunnels, ancient temples with hieroglyphs, all of it totally sequestered from the game.

As an Easter egg, look for the biggest tree you can possibly find. Here’s a hint: if this tree were real, you could see it from space, and it’s hidden somewhere in the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Something I want to advise those new to Shadow of the Collosus:

The map is absolutely littered with cool ruins and weird, memorable locations that the game will never ever take you. If something looks cool, go check it out, you can’t really sequence break or ruin anything for yourself. There is literally an underwater pyramid in a lake miles away from the nearest colossus, there are secret mountain tunnels, ancient temples with hieroglyphs, all of it totally sequestered from the game.

As an Easter egg, look for the biggest tree you can possibly find. Here’s a hint: if this tree were real, you could see it from space, and it’s hidden somewhere in the game.

That's awesome. I'm really trying to go off the beaten path this time. I feel like it's to easy to just railroad yourself into going to straight to the colossi, ignoring non essential surroundings.

I climbed a ruin yesterday and when I got to the top the reward was a nice scenic view. I'm so used to some stupid collectable being attached to doing anything like that in a a game.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
After beating SotC PS4 here's my one problem, and it's a big one:

I've tried every possible button combination but (even with the classic controls) as far as I can tell there's no way to pet Agro, which was absolutely the best part of the original. :3:

0/10 Will never play again. :mad:

...! fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 9, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

...! posted:

I've tried every possible button combination but (even with the classic controls) as far as I can tell there's no way to pet Agro, which was absolutely the best part of the original. :3

It's definitely there, I've done it once by accident. Make sure you have the "hand" weapon equipped when experimenting, that's part of it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Olive! posted:

Which 'earlier game versions' are you referring to, because I know from experience that you can walk all the way across the bridge on the PS2 version. There's a wind that blows you back when you make it to the end, but it's something you can do.

Really? How? Is it reachable from the secret garden or something?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

...! posted:

Supposedly you can get there in the base game but I only ever made the jumps it with the magic items from TT mode

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

...! posted:

I've tried every possible button combination but (even with the classic controls) as far as I can tell there's no way to pet Agro, which was absolutely the best part of the original. :3

You have to unequip your weapons – press up on the dpad – and then you get close to Agro and press square or circle I think. Takes a try or two but it's definitely possible.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

My favorite thing about this version of SotC is that while the changes Bluepoint made are great, more importantly they showed tremendous restraint and knew exactly what not to change. With a game like this it seems like it would be extremely tempting to go hogwild and make the game your own thing with tons of changes, but they didn't.

It's very clear that the people at Bluepoint "get" the game and showed a lot of reverence toward it. The atmosphere and overall feel of the game are exactly the same as the original. This is a good example of why Bluepoint is one of the best developers out there these days.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

...! posted:

I may be remembering this wrong but i think you can collect lizards to raise stamina high enough to climb up a specific section on the outside of the temple.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Not entirely true, there's a dope photo mode now. Also You can watch Agro wander (pun not intended) if you don't touch anything on the menu screen, not sure that was in the PS2/3 version.

I took it as in the actual game itself.

Also, I'm *pretty* sure you could watch Agro run around on the ps2 version also if you didn't touch anything for awhile?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Steep is on sale. Reinstalled it because of the Winter Olympics and the fact it’s snowing, and I gotta say I’ve really warmed up to it as a low pressure but challenging chillout game. The version on sale has the Winter Olympics expansion. It’s 40 bucks but if it seems your speed, I recommend it.

Does it nail those Skate/driving around the highway in GTA/etc vibes of just relaxing and cruising around enjoying the feel of the gameplay? Any customization or fun unlocks along the way?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does it nail those Skate/driving around the highway in GTA/etc vibes of just relaxing and cruising around enjoying the feel of the gameplay? Any customization or fun unlocks along the way?

Yes on the first part. There's customization in the game too, different challenges give you coins and you can buy stuff like jackets, ski's, parachutes, helmets etc.
Some stuff is just unlocked by getting medals on the challenges. I don't really know how much customization there is, because it's been a while since I played, and once I was happy with my dude I just kinda stopped changing everything every 5 minutes :shrug:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

haveblue posted:

It's definitely there, I've done it once by accident. Make sure you have the "hand" weapon equipped when experimenting, that's part of it.

Yeah, I remembered having to unequip your weapon and press circle while near/on Agro but I tried that a lot and it didn't work. Tonight I'll try swiping across the touchpad or something.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm never going to have any kids and I don't fly anywhere so I'm allowed to leave my PS4 in rest mode

Source your quotes; even when quoting yourself ca. October 2017.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kilometers Davis posted:

Customization and unlocks are all cosmetic but they’re there. It’s great for cruising, though. I’ve gone down from the peak of the mountain to the edge just skiing or boarding, no missions, and it was pretty as hell and super relaxing. It also has replays, which are perfect for GoPro mode. What was a chill trip in 3rd person is nuts from 1st person.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

...! posted:

Yeah, it's just through a doorway out the garden.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddammit, I need to get on this "Shadow of the colossus" business. As soon as I'm done with The Last Guardian (an amazing game). So, tomorrow.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 10, 2018

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

how long did sotc take people on their first playthrough?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

baram. posted:

7-9 hours if it's your first time through everything, much shorter on replays once you know the strategy for each colossi.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

baram. posted:

Probably 16-20 hours, but I was 16 and spent countless hours riding around looking at everything.

7-10 hours for a first playthrough seems like a truly insane estimate because that supposes you are A) beelining straight to each boss and B) one shotting every boss perfectly.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 10, 2018

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

baram. posted:

Just finished my first playthrough yesterday and it was slightly less than 6 hours.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

That's an insane price for an old Ubisoft game, is it really chill enough to justify it? $15 would be more like it...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Housh posted:

Anything I should know before I start Resident Evil 7. I don't have PSVR and I'm a huge pussy when it comes to scary games. The last RE I played through was 4.

If you find being followed to be too stressful, attempt to use shoot your problems till they stop following you.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Wow I didn’t expect to start some super retarded rest mode derail with this, cool.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Try unplugging it for a minute.

This seems to have worked, thank you :)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

baram. posted:

Short but you will play it again immediately.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

Wow I didn’t expect to start some super retarded rest mode derail with this, cool.
You don't know this thread very well then

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Steep is one of those games I bought at launch as it was cheap. Played a lot of, and then promptly forgot that I own it.

It was an enjoyable chill out and ski/board/fly game and the fact you can pretty much go anywhere on the mountains the moment you start the game was good.

Some of the challenges were controller throwing frustrating but otherwise a lot of fun. I only played at launch though and never touched any of the dlc that was released so I cannot say how much it's changed. At launch though there was no gear that was better than others it was all purely cosmetic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

7-9 hours if it's your first time through everything, much shorter on replays once you know the strategy for each colossi.

That seems like a really low estimate. Maybe 9 if someone is going through without exploring at all.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

There's going to be a big variation depending on how people gel with the particular colossi. If there's something you don't pick up on, you can easily add a big chunk of time. When I was a kid on the PS2 version, I think I spent like an hour and a half on the turtle.

For reference, HLTB says the average playtime is 9.5 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

I wasn't cum it was a pink milkshake!

Basically cum

exquisite tea posted:

Finished Shadow of the Colossus! I think any grognardy fears of this remake not capturing ~the essence~ of the original can be safely laid to rest, this is a wonderful adaptation and the definitive way for newcomers to play SotC.

I don't think it's unreasonable to write substantively about artistic differences in experiencing the two/three versions; nobody's fear-mongering here, and the new version has been unanimously praised. What's your deal?

Bust Rodd posted:

The lifecycle of your hardware deteriorates on every start-up cycle, ever so slightly. Modern machines offer 'Rest Mode' because suspending the system to minimal power-consumption is easier on things like your Hard Drives, cooling fans, etc than a full restart.

it's not about laziness, that's jut a benefit of the design

This is totally absurd. You are not allowed to post anymore Rest Mode posts. Additionally, you must turn your console off when you aren't using it. Goodbye.

...is the excuse people often give for upping their consumption.

veni veni veni posted:

I like how confident non rest mode users are.

Most issues with corrupted saves, hard crashes, bricked consoles, defective eject buttons, etc, are caused by Rest Mode :shrug:

Anecdotal, sure, but my 5+ year old console has not displayed said behavior despite daily use.

acksplode posted:

Apathy is what the capitalist machine produces, not what it eats. It eats misdirected effort and concern, like trying to save the planet by avoiding rest mode on your PS4. You buy your PS4 made of precious oil and minerals sucked from the earth, feel good about turning it off, and then hop in your car and drive an hour to work in bumper-to-bumper-traffic. You cannot consumer purchase your way into an ethical life.

I turn off my PS4 to save energy and lifespan on said products I purchase perhaps once in a decade, and then I bike to work.

There are ways and there are ways. You decide your own level of involvement.

fridge corn posted:

drat rest mode crew is woke

They certainly don't want to put the glasses on, that's for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mm4mLsCAyI

Part of me wants to get MHW, because I keep hearing good things. The other part of me is worried it’ll turn out like Dark Souls, where I bounce off it really hard and am left very disappointed. Ditto with Kingdom Come: Deliverance. God these kinds of games need demos.

It definitely shares DNA with Bloodsouls, but unlike those games MHW rewards you even if you fail at something. It's an incredible game to play with friends and it's probably the only open world game I've ever enjoyed this much.

JBP posted:

Yo did I miss rest mode Thunderdome?

Nope!

baram. posted:

About 16 hours divided evenly across about 16 days.

Tenkaris posted:

This seems to have worked, thank you :)

Interesting, so turning your console off completely fixed your issue. *noted for posterity