Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

alanthecat posted:

I'm looking for a way to notify users when there are going to be software installations at the next reboot (GPO/MSI). I tried writing an AutoIt script to read a gpupdate /force window and search for the restart prompt but I wasn't able to get it to capture the output (though it worked fine with just gpupdate). I just need them to know so they can reboot their computer before going home rather than wait 15 minutes in the morning to use their computer.

I got it working by writing the output to a file and reading that back in.
Download it here: https://github.com/BrianHenryIE/GPUpdateNotify

alanthecat fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Do you all generally synchronize/deploy the "Updates" classification in WSUS, or just do critical/security updates and update rollups? Just want an idea of what other people do.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I have a "alpha" group configured via GPO that i roll updates out to, check if they break a something then go back and deploy to the rest of the users. Its spreadsheet heavy management as I don't have SCCM or anything fancy to handle it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

In SCCM we have a deployment group that gets the first round of updates. If nothing breaks and everything is all good the updates get sent out to the rest of the company. Then I get to hear bitching about peoples laptops taking 5 minutes to reboot.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Just security and critical updates right now. Organizing the rest is on my to do list, just near the bottom due to more important projects.

We do the pilot group -> everyone else thing as well, saved us from a few bad Microsoft updates

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I was more asking which patches you deploy, as opposed to how. Like there's classifications for Security Updates, Critical Updates, Service Packs, Feature Packs, Update Rollups, and just plain Updates (along with some others). I think 'Updates' is basically what you'd see under optional updates when not going through WSUS, I'm wondering if most companies bother with those or not.

edit-thanks hihifellow

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
loving finally, as of today Microsoft actually figured out how to let Skype for Business users add Skype-name-only Skype contacts (as in early skype accounts created with no Microsoft account).

Now I can use it as a direct GoToMeeting replacement. All I need is a standalone installation file, anyone know where to find one?

The closest I can find is this: http://www.skype.com/en/business/downloading/

No, that's not "Skype for Business", it's "Skype, for your Business". Suck my dick Microsoft!

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Zero VGS posted:

loving finally, as of today Microsoft actually figured out how to let Skype for Business users add Skype-name-only Skype contacts (as in early skype accounts created with no Microsoft account).

Now I can use it as a direct GoToMeeting replacement. All I need is a standalone installation file, anyone know where to find one?

The closest I can find is this: http://www.skype.com/en/business/downloading/

No, that's not "Skype for Business", it's "Skype, for your Business". Suck my dick Microsoft!

Let me know if you find one. A few weeks ago I spent pretty much an entire day looking for a standalone installer with no luck. Ended up installing Lync, and after a poo poo-ton of Office 2013 updates it just kinda 'turns into' Skype for Business.
MS deciding to deploy a business app in this manner is pretty boneheaded but what do I know.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Let me know if you find one. A few weeks ago I spent pretty much an entire day looking for a standalone installer with no luck. Ended up installing Lync, and after a poo poo-ton of Office 2013 updates it just kinda 'turns into' Skype for Business.
MS deciding to deploy a business app in this manner is pretty boneheaded but what do I know.

This obviously depends on you having an appropriate O365 license, but if you do, you can download a Skype for Business installer directly from OWA.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

mayodreams posted:

This obviously depends on you having an appropriate O365 license, but if you do, you can download a Skype for Business installer directly from OWA.

Nope, there's a tab to download Skype for Business in the OWA portal, but when you click it the fine print says "lol just install Office 365 it'll be in there!"

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Found it, Microsoft support ticket worked for once:

code:
From the verbatim, the issue you're experiencing is: Need standalone MSI or installer for Skype for Business.

We currently do not have a .MSI file for mass deployment of skype for business but you can extract the .MSP file after following the below information.

You can download the May 2015 SfB update from here and extract this file using the following command after navigating to the location where the file is downloaded on Command prompt:

mso2013-kb3039700-fullfile-x64-glb.exe /extract:c:\SfBmsp

This will provide you the .msp file which can be deployed through group policy.

If this doesn’t work for you can we would need to get in touch with the office subscription team as they would be able to help you with the mass deployment of skype for business alone for all your users.
They will help you deploy the skype for business client as a click to run software which would be in a package but centrally located in your organization.
The following articles would help you understand the same.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm not sure if this is on wsus (and i'll check tomorrow) but if you blindly auto download all wsus updates and auto-approve (yes some do that...) make sure you recall KB3035583....

.....Otherwise you're going to have surprise windows 10 in your org.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I find that hilarious.

On a side note, if the upgrade process to 10 is as good as they say, migration is going to be easy.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Has anyone messed with Chocolatey before? I'm thinking that a quick script that pulls a chocolatey xml file would work nicely as a quick and easy installer. So instead of repackaging Java or Reader every time it gets updated you could just run the Chocolatey script which would update over any existing installs. It looks pretty neat, the only downside I see is if you have to do any customization for apps. I think it would also work well for programs you can't find an MSI for.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Have you looked at the new PowerShell v5 previews? It's going to have full support for Chocolatey through a module called OneGet.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Swink posted:

I find that hilarious.

On a side note, if the upgrade process to 10 is as good as they say, migration is going to be easy.

A colleague of mine went to Ignite and he had several conversations with people who said the upgrade in place is actually very, very good.

Windows 10 being very, very good is a different thing though.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I have full faith in microsoft engineers to implement technology correctly.

I have zero faith in microsoft managers from the product to the executive level to implement technology correctly.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Have you looked at the new PowerShell v5 previews? It's going to have full support for Chocolatey through a module called OneGet.

Now called the Powershell Package Manager because the MS Lawyers put the kybosh on the "oneget" name. (According to Snover).

The Win10 deployment stuff at Ignite was pretty good. Worth a watch if you're a person who deploys stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Swink posted:

Now called the Powershell Package Manager because the MS Lawyers put the kybosh on the "oneget" name. (According to Snover).

Haha really? I haven't tried it in a couple versions of the technical preview. This is like Metro all over again, how is MS not checking to see if their product names are in use first.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
At least they caught it before it went live. Unlike the Skydrive\Onedrive rename.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
They renamed the PowerShell module, but the github project is still under OneGet. They weren't sued this time, the problem with trademarking it for use in Windows was spotted by the lawyers, hence the move to a generic title so it didn't need trademarking.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Windows to support native SSH connection, will integrate with Powershell

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/looking_for...-shell-ssh.aspx

About time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

More baby steps towards the future of the Windows server, which ironically is becoming more like Linux.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Roargasm posted:

About time.

This is good and cool.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Roargasm posted:

About time.

This is hilarious, but awesome. The more I can do with Powershell, the better.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Zero VGS posted:

Nope, there's a tab to download Skype for Business in the OWA portal, but when you click it the fine print says "lol just install Office 365 it'll be in there!"

Found it, Microsoft support ticket worked for once:

code:
From the verbatim, the issue you're experiencing is: Need standalone MSI or installer for Skype for Business.

We currently do not have a .MSI file for mass deployment of skype for business but you can extract the .MSP file after following the below information.

You can download the May 2015 SfB update from here and extract this file using the following command after navigating to the location where the file is downloaded on Command prompt:

mso2013-kb3039700-fullfile-x64-glb.exe /extract:c:\SfBmsp

This will provide you the .msp file which can be deployed through group policy.

If this doesn’t work for you can we would need to get in touch with the office subscription team as they would be able to help you with the mass deployment of skype for business alone for all your users.
They will help you deploy the skype for business client as a click to run software which would be in a package but centrally located in your organization.
The following articles would help you understand the same.

Tried this but when I try to deploy the extracted file, I get a "Application to be patched is not installed". This is both on a machine with Lync 2013 and without.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, sorry but I haven't tried it myself. I found that Lync has autoupdated into Skype for Business on literally every workstation we have except for a handful of people still running Office 2010. I'm just going to force them to upgrade instead of trying to stick S4B around their outdated office suite.

However, now we have Windows 7 PCs with Skype (non-business), and Windows 8 PCs that have Skype (metro app) and Skype for Desktop, in addition to S4B. Try explaining to people how they have to use this Skype, not the other two Skypes.

Is there a PDQ script to find and nuke both the consumer versions maybe? I suppose I can Google it tomorrow.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

lol internet. posted:

Any recommendations for FTP software? Ideally one that has similar features to cloud storage (dropbox/onedrive/etc) but doesn't cost as much and is on-site with a license\yearly maintenance? Cloud storage becomes expensive when everyone needs an account randomly at times.

I use IpSwitch FTP Server and in all seriousness it's a POS. The web front end has limitations and can't upload anything worth poo poo.

I know this is a lot to ask for a FTP server, but it would be nice if it could accept anonymous uploads (through web gui or ftp client) and I can somehow bind that to an internal employees FTP directory. Either way, something super simplified/idiot proof because making 15 FTP accounts a week with different directory share gets old real fast.

The FileZilla client and FileZilla server are awesome. It's super simple to use and free and has been bomb proof on my windows server.

It won't do SFTP but it does support FTP over TLS.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Agrikk posted:

The FileZilla client and FileZilla server are awesome. It's super simple to use and free and has been bomb proof on my windows server.

It won't do SFTP but it does support FTP over TLS.

Except it's bundled with malware now.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
A friend turned me on to WingFTP. It's not great, but it has all the bells and whistles.

I've started deploying CoreFTP as a client for my users thanks to Filezilla's malware bullshit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Erwin posted:

Not if you install it with Ninite.com, and you should install everything with Ninite.com

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zero VGS posted:

Not if you install it with Ninite.com, and you should install everything with Ninite.com

Patchmypc.exe is also excellent.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Those don't sound secure at all, I usually trust CryptoLocker.exe

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been using both for many years corporately.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Has anyone ever moved a DPM to a different server? I'm having trouble believing it's as easy as this https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757865.aspx and I don't want to stumble into unexpected stuff.

What it says:
1- Backup DPMDB
2- Remove Server1 from domain, turn off
3- Install DPM with same updates on Server2, point to a SQL instance
4- Present same volumes through iSCSI
5- Execute DpmSync -restoredb -dbloc file
6- Execute DpmSync -sync
7- Check integrity, restart jobs

Is it really that easy?

E: It also has a tape library, but that should be simple as well.

orange sky fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 9, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

People actually use DPM? (sorry, couldn't resist)

orange sky
May 7, 2007

skipdogg posted:

People actually use DPM? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Hey, it's not even mine but I'm a consultant and it's hard as gently caress finding someone who's actually worked with it a lot and knows about this.. I guess I'll set up a lab and try it out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've been getting the following error recently in my home lab: "the security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship" when I try to log into my client VM (Windows Server 2012 R2 server and Windows 8.1 client); I was able to log into the VM after disconnecting the ethernet on my server, where do I start looking to resolve this? It happened with both my main user account and the Administrator account.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've been getting the following error recently in my home lab: "the security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship" when I try to log into my client VM (Windows Server 2012 R2 server and Windows 8.1 client); I was able to log into the VM after disconnecting the ethernet on my server, where do I start looking to resolve this? It happened with both my main user account and the Administrator account.

Make sure there is a computer object for the workstation in ADUC. Then try unbinding then rebinding it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Could be a DNS or Kerberos issue too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Erwin posted:

Wait what?

I know that if you download it from the sourceforge installer thingy there's a wierd wrapper on it, but if you click on the "Other Download Options" link you'll get a page with clean installs.

Right? Right!?

edit: Heh. I just clicked on the sourceforge link and it was blocked by my proxy at work:

Reputation Score for cdn.goodfoldercities.com: -7.5

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 9, 2015