Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Size charts are a lie, and sizes aren't really standardized across brands.

I think my seven week old just skipped 3 month clothes in the span of a week and a half. He's into some brands' 6 month wear. Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Gerber? Their stuff runs small for my kid (he has an enormous noggin)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Gerber definitely runs small and Carter runs big. He's also really long so the couple of 6 month stuff he fits in is the right length but still a bit baggy.

I can't believe it'll only last a few months before I'm looking at 6-9, 9, and 12 month stuff.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 20 month old wears 18 - 24 month tops, but he still fits his 6 month shorts. He usually wears about a 12 month pair of pants but they look like capris on him, but any larger size and they'll fall off. I think his legs are longer than normal with a small waist. We have to go out and buy another new pair of shoes for him. I measured his feet and it looks like he needs a size 7 already. Guess he's going to have big feet like his mama :v:

Edit: Sometimes I can't believe how expensive some toddler shoes are. Do people really buy their toddlers $75 shoes? I want to get him a cute pair of chucks, but for $30 for something he'll wear for a short amount of time? No.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 13, 2014

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Alterian posted:

Edit: Sometimes I can't believe how expensive some toddler shoes are. Do people really buy their toddlers $75 shoes? I want to get him a cute pair of chucks, but for $30 for something he'll wear for a short amount of time? No.

Go to thrift stores near expensive neighborhoods. I've scored some awesome stuff at Goodwill that was either unused or barely used.

And my 3 1/2 year old still wears 18-month shirts. He is tall and skinny and wearing the same clothes as his little sister.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have a pair of 8 month overalls he still wears, but they look like overall shorts.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Thwomp posted:

I think my seven week old just skipped 3 month clothes in the span of a week and a half. He's into some brands' 6 month wear. Crazy.

And I have an itty bitty 13 month old who still wears size 6-9 months from more than a few stores. She's got an above average sized head and she's had 8 teeth since she was like 9 months, apparently all her energy went into growing brains and chompers, and there wasn't anything left for the rest of her. It's cheaper than the alternative, though, it takes her forever to outgrow clothes.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I'm in the big headed baby boat. The wee man is 18 months and has to wear 2-3 year old to get round his head haha. He's quite talk for his age so he gets away with it I suppose.

I bought him one of those sun hat type things last week and had to buy him 5 year olds hat size.

He better grow into his head

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I think our child has hit the dreaded "4 month sleep regression" phase
:-(. The best way to calm him down is on the breast but unfortunately my wife works 4 days a week and when he's going crazy he hates bottles. Any tips/ tricks that worked for you?

He finally started sleeping 6 plus hours too!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Buckle up, it's going to be a long ride.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's easier to sleep train a baby now, before they can stand up in their crib, if you aren't opposed to sleep training. Also if your wife is out, at least in my experience, it is easier to train when they aren't there. At least because my wife couldn't stand the crying nearly as much as I could.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

greatn posted:

It's easier to sleep train a baby now, before they can stand up in their crib, if you aren't opposed to sleep training. Also if your wife is out, at least in my experience, it is easier to train when they aren't there. At least because my wife couldn't stand the crying nearly as much as I could.

No matter how you feel about sleep training, babies are not neurologically capable of self-soothing until six months or older.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Well, at 2 weeks shy of 14 months, my son has self-weaned. I didn't do anything to encourage or discourage really, it was just natural progression. We were down to before bed/first thing in the morning and maybe pre-nap but some days was just before bed for the past few weeks. We had two very busy days where my partner put him to bed and woke up with him in the morning and when I offered on Monday he was like nope, all set.

I wasn't emotionally attached to nursing but I'm really surprised at how emotional I am about it. But I did good. I didn't think I'd make it to 14 days let alone 14 months when we were just starting out.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sudont posted:

Well, at 2 weeks shy of 14 months, my son has self-weaned. [...] I didn't think I'd make it to 14 days let alone 14 months when we were just starting out.

I remember the start (our kids are almost exactly the same age), and congratulations, you did very good! We're down to small morning and bedtime-feeds now, and I'm kind of hoping my kid will self wean, because otherwise I'll have to do it, and... I don't want to! It's cozy and calm and quiet and it makes her so happy. And she spends the rest of the day running around, and nursing is the only time when she'll just lie still in my arms and cuddle :3:

But there are a host of reasons why this is a better time to do it than later (practical, not "yuck, toddlers nursing!"), so I suppose I just have to buckle up and get husband to do the putting to bed and waking up for a few days, so she'll get out of the boob habit.

:(

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Today was my eldest daughter's first day of kindergarten. That was the quickest 5 years of my life ever.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FishBulb posted:

Today was my eldest daughter's first day of kindergarten. That was the quickest 5 years of my life ever.

Wow, that's early. But congratulations!

Edit: By "early" I meant in terms of the school calendar, not necessarily the age.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 15, 2014

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Wow, that's early. But congratulations!

Wow, really? When does kindergarten usually start for everyone else? Here it can optionally start at 4, but 5 is standard. Most people send their kids at 4, though.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
5 is the minimum in this school district, I dunno about everybody else.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

raaaan posted:

Wow, really? When does kindergarten usually start for everyone else? Here it can optionally start at 4, but 5 is standard. Most people send their kids at 4, though.

I kind of interpreted that more as "early in the year", a lot of places don't start until after Labor Day. I lived all over the US growing up (military family) and solidly 80% of the schools I went to started the day after Labor Day rather than in August. I've had maybe a handful of my Facebook friends post first day of school pics this week. In two weeks, my entire newsfeed will be lousy with them :) In the US, Kindergarten is usually 5 because compulsory education (1st grade) starts at 6. California has Transitional Kindergarten, which allows children who are a few months younger than the standard cutoff for Kinder to go, the general plan for T-K kids is for them to do T-K and then a year of Kinder, but there is an option for the parents to say "Nope, we'll go straight to 1st grade now". In our school district, you have to be 5 before September 2nd of this year to enter Kindergarten, Transitional Kindergarten is for kids whose 5th birthday falls between Sept 2 and December 2. Anyone born after that has to wait until the next school year.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 15, 2014

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

raaaan posted:

Jr Kindergarten starts here the year they turn 4, so my kid with a mid October birthday will be 3 when she starts kindergarten and one of the youngest kids in her class. It's full day but she'll be in it for 2 years before going into Grade 1

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fionnoula posted:

I kind of interpreted that more as "early in the year", a lot of places don't start until after Labor Day. I lived all over the US growing up (military family) and solidly 80% of the schools I went to started the day after Labor Day rather than in August. I've had maybe a handful of my Facebook friends post first day of school pics this week. In two weeks, my entire newsfeed will be lousy with them :) In the US, Kindergarten is usually 5 because compulsory education (1st grade) starts at 6.

Some places have been pushing back their start dates because NCLB testing (or whatever flavor your district is calling it) is in May or early June, and they want the maximum amount of prep time they can get for the students. I know my district starts this Monday, for example, and ends in the first week of June.

They've also gotten much more strict about minimum ages for grades (probably also related to testing performance). The hard cut-off date for schools here used to be December, now it's in August (or July maybe?). Kids who are within the 2 or 3 months after that cut-off age are now offered a "transitional" kindergarten program because parents of those kids got pissed about having to pay for an extra year of preschool.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Our beautiful 4 day old Eleanor!

We had a great delivery now we're at home and... well the first night was tough. Thank god for grandmas but they're gone after tonite which has me filled with anxiety. She barely sleeps for note than 10 minutes unless being held our laying on our bed with us. In a onesie in her bassinet and she just isn't comfortable and starts crying. Also she has slept most of the day and we're worried her hours are reversed. My mom basically said that these first two weeks should focus on us getting sleep and stabilizing our own mental health rather than trying to sleep train her our anything like that. Any tips or ideas?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just try to simulate a womb-like environment as much as you can, with nice swaddling, good white noise(in the form of just going "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" as long as you can), and low light. Don't worry about shushing too loudly, you aren't actually shushing, that's just what it sounds like in a womb and is more comfortable. There's some videos on it on youtube I'm sure.

She's slept most of the day, yeah, she's gonna sleep most of the day for a while. They don't stay up very long at all at this point.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Uh, yeah, no one recommends sleep training a newborn. She's still in the womb pretty much in her brain. It will get better, she will figure out night and day, just give him as much love and cuddling as you can. Before you know it she'll be moving around and too busy to stop for cuddles.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

sheri posted:

Uh, yeah, no one recommends sleep training a newborn. She's still in the womb pretty much in her brain. It will get better, she will figure out night and day, just give him as much love and cuddling as you can. Before you know it she'll be moving around and too busy to stop for cuddles.

This. Also, get her outside or by a window during the day to learn about the sun. If mom is breastfeeding, breast milk in the evenings has melatonin in it to help the day/night learning (babies don't actually make their own melatonin).

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

sheri posted:

Edit: double post

Isabelle Caramel
Jun 23, 2008
Newborns don't have a circadian rhythm and can't differentiate between night and day. You could also be in a growth spurt (lots of feeding, sleeping, and fussiness). I nearly lost my mind the first few days after I came home with my newborn because I wasn't sleeping and he wanted to eat constantly. Trust me when I say that it does get easier! Try to rest when the baby rests, focus on the baby and not the house/guests/etc., and remember that this is only a phase. Good luck!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
^^^ thanks that does make me feel better!

sheri posted:

Thanks for all the advice guys! This is our first so we really are fish out of water.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 15, 2014

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

BonoMan posted:

^^^ thanks that does make me feel better!

Thanks for all the advice guys! This is our first so we really are fish out of water.

I was there 4 months ago! It gets wayyyy better after a couple of weeks. What I recommend is switching off with your SO because sleeping when the baby sleeps is some grade A Bullshit. Unless you like sporadic naps where it could be an hour or maybe 15 minutes.

I liked to change diapers over night to help out more. My wife had to feed him like, every hour or 2 so it was nice to help her out sometimes we'd fall asleep together downstairs while my wife stayed upstairs. She loved it.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.

Inudeku posted:

sleeping when the baby sleeps is some grade A Bullshit.
Yeah that was my take on the whole thing too - my kid wanted to nurse every hour and a half round the clock and would only sleep for little naps in my arms. He had reflux so he'd scream in pain if he was laid down flat so the first couple of weeks until he got put on the right medication was me zombied out just holding him, rocking and singing. Hang in there, it really does get easier. Like other posters said, swaddling is awesome, as is white noise - we used the "Rain Rain" app from the start and it's a really strong sleep cue now.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

She barely sleeps for note than 10 minutes unless being held our laying on our bed with us.
ProTip: nap while she is being held or lying in bed with you.

If I took my shirt off and stripped my kiddo down to nothing, she would lay chest-to-chest with me and sleep for a couple hours. These are probably the best memories of my life.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

raaaan posted:

6 in Finland, 1st grade at 7. Before that there is ordinary day care so parents can work though.

Also for identical twins the boys sure are different, when Daniels first tooth came in he cried and screamed like he was gonna die and wouldn't sleep during the nights. David had been a bit fussy during the days lately so we figured that his teeth might soon be coming too and we where preparing for the worst. Last night we found out he has a tooth already, an upper tooth, Daniel got a lower tooth.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 15, 2014

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
MIRROR TWINS!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

skeetied posted:

This. Also, get her outside or by a window during the day to learn about the sun. If mom is breastfeeding, breast milk in the evenings has melatonin in it to help the day/night learning (babies don't actually make their own melatonin).

Yeah, while shouldn't even think about sleep training, helping them get their days and nights sorted out by making daytime bright and with activities and normal noise levels and nighttime dark and calm and quiet, is super smart. And sunlight (not directly, obviously, just by being outside or by a window, as skeetied said) is great for that. We never had to deal with a reversal, but friends of ours had a baby that got her days and nights reversed, and it did not sound fun at all, and they had to work hard to get her to adjust to "normal" hours.
They sleep a lot now at first, but if she sleeps more during the day than during the night, then I'd make an effort to switch it around as soon as possible.

Edit: Speaking of daycare/kindergarten, our 13 month old is on her third day of the adjustment period for kindergarten (what most of you call daycare), and we get pictures during the day showing how she's getting along, and I just got this one:

with the title "Hi, mum and dad!"

Thank you, great choice of picture, looking real cheerful there! :thumbsup: According to my husband she didn't even have time to wave goodbye to him, just ran screaming happily into a big pile of kids, so I'm not too worried.

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 15, 2014

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also for identical twins the boys sure are different, when Daniels first tooth came in he cried and screamed like he was gonna die and wouldn't sleep during the nights. David had been a bit fussy during the days lately so we figured that his teeth might soon be coming too and we where preparing for the worst. Last night we found out he has a tooth already, an upper tooth, Daniel got a lower tooth.

My 5 month-old boys are identical as well, and their personalities are also very different in the exact same way yours are (one is fussy, the other laid-back), and have been since birth. How that works out with identical twins, I have no clue.

Sucking out their noses? One chills out and breathes through his mouth. The other acts like I'm trying to suck out his brain.
Night after shots? One is a little upset but OK. The other? "DEAR GOD MY LEGS ARE ON FIRE DADDY HELP!!!!"

Pendragon fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 15, 2014

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I want one day where I don't have to say "no" to my kid. I want to just say yes. Yes, you can have ice cream. Yes, you can sing "let it go" at the top of your lungs. Yes, you can touch that or climb that or bang on that.

I feel like all I say is no. No, it's too cold to go to the pool. No, you many not have cookies and marshmallows for dinner. No, you may not sing loudly in the restaurant. No, you may not spend ten minutes in the McDonalds bathroom making truck noises before you even try to pee. No, you may not stick your fingers through the bars of the kitten cage at the pet store. No, you may not walk around in pee-soaked pants. No, you may not go to the park until you go potty. No, you may not throw billiard balls in the house. No, you may not bang on the windows with sticks. No, No, No.

I try, I do. Yes, you can have a marshmallow... after you eat your sandwich. Yes, we can go to the play place and then to the pet store to see the fish... after you try potty. Yes, you can wear your pajamas to school... but you need to wear your shoes on the right feet. Yes, we can play catch... but only with the soft ball. Yes, we can have a tea party... but not on the trampoline. Even when I try to say "yes" all I hear is the "no" part, the only-after, the if-then. And my kid hears that, too, I think.

My kid deserves a day where she can just do whatever she wants. But, I deserve a day where I can let her. If she would get dressed when I ask her to, the first time, we'd have time to play before school. If she would stop having potty accidents as we leave school, we could go play instead of coming home to change. If she would put on her shoes/go potty instead of playing around, we could go to the park before it gets dark. I feel like I could say yes more if she would say no less. But she's three, so she can't really understand that.

I just hate the part of parenting that makes me the disciplinarian. We'll be having a good night, and then the no-train leaves the station, and by bedtime we're both frustrated. I say yes whenever I can, but I feel like I have to say no when it will keep her safe/healthy (you can't just have candy for dinner), or set a good precedent (yes, our stove is turned off and won't burn you, but you still don't get to touch the stove), or keep me healthy (for the love of God stop screeching my ears are bleeding) and there is just So Much Of That.

tl;dr - I am miserable and my kid is frustrated and being three, or parenting a three-year-old, sucks so much.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Hungry Squirrel posted:

tl;dr - I am miserable and my kid is frustrated and being three, or parenting a three-year-old, sucks so much.

I get this so much. We learned two different techniques at his preschool that seem to help when the no's are taking over. First, instead of saying "no, you can't throw a billiard ball," you redirect it as, "here's a ball you can throw, billiard balls are too hard." Second, giving choices, even as stupid as they may be, allows the kid to have some power, so we do something like "would you rather use the potty now or in two minutes? Your choice! If you can't choose, I will choose for you."

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't know, some of your no's sound unnecessary. Specifically the ones about singing and making truck noises. ;)

What kind of restaurant are you in that tolerates a 3-year-old but won't tolerate them being loud?

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Papercut posted:

I don't know, some of your no's sound unnecessary. Specifically the ones about singing and making truck noises. ;)

What kind of restaurant are you in that tolerates a 3-year-old but won't tolerate them being loud?

We go to a pancake place with some friends, it's a standing date. And I don't think she would be kicked out, but... I mean, you don't do that. You don't sing, at the top of your lungs, in a crowded indoor place. That's rude, it's bad manners, we don't do it. Indoor voices, people are trying to eat and talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is there a breastfeeding thread? My wife is breast feeding and 5 days in and it's just been a miserable experience. We just had our 2 day post leave check in at the hospital and baby is doing perfect. No weight loss even though the past 24 to 48 hours have been less than optimal breastfeeding (only latching for 5 or 10 minutes) and everything checked out perfectly normal.

But it's just been a ridiculously trying experience mentally. Eleanor hasn't quite learned what she's doing, momma can't quite figure out how to entice her into a good latch (we're trying the pinching trick), and trying to keep her awake during feeding doesn't work that well. She often falls right asleep. Basically just looking for tips and tricks that a lot of people have tried so we can just take a shotgun approach and see what works. Momma is already past her limit and is ready to switch to formula 5 days in.