Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

evil_bunnY posted:

Yo just a little FYI you guys rule.

I'm pretty happy that my only contribution to this release is fixing like two bugs (that I introduced). Everything else was done by helpful collaborators :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

pokeyman posted:

I'm pretty happy that my only contribution to this release is fixing like two bugs (that I introduced). Everything else was done by helpful collaborators :toot:

You're doing the Lord's work!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

pokeyman posted:

Try logging out then back in, if you can get that far.

Fixed in the next version, which is off to the App Store Review Team today!

Awesome, that worked. I don't know why I didn't think of that! Thank you.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
I keep getting a bug where the app will crash anytime I try to view a poster's profile. I tried closing the app, then logging out and back in. After that a blank profile box would pop up and then the app would freeze. On an iPad running iOS 7.0.4.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It looks like trying to send pms doesn't work. Once you click send the app freezes without sending anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Aziraphale posted:

It looks like trying to send pms doesn't work. Once you click send the app freezes without sending anything.

I've noticed that the PM still sends, the app just locks up and won't let you back out of the PM screen.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

jivjov posted:

I've noticed that the PM still sends, the app just locks up and won't let you back out of the PM screen.

Yes that's what's happening!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think that might be fixed in the build that was sent out for approval yesterday.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Yesterday? I thought it got submitted last week sometime?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh the 6th. I'm in a fog.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

Yesterday? I thought it got submitted last week sometime?

Yep. If past submissions are any indication, it should be out this week.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Is it possible to add a 'Save to Safari Reading List' option for links and images?

I'm thinking maybe with the long press where save appears.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

theadder posted:

Is it possible to add a 'Save to Safari Reading List' option for links and images?

I'm thinking maybe with the long press where save appears.

It is possible, and on the todo list. Expect to see it in an undetermined future release!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Had an interesting bug, was visiting the Survivor thread in TVIV, had a connection lost network error, and the app lost all functionality. I couldn't refresh, back out to the forums list, use the New Post or Parent Forum buttons in the thread, or anything. Closing the app and re-entering it left me still stuck in the unloaded Survivor thread. The only thing that fixed it was turning off my phone and turning it back on again.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

It is possible, and on the todo list. Expect to see it in an undetermined future release!

Spoiler: It's the next release. Just added it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
How unreasonable is it to ask you guys to Make It So™ that when you switch screen orientations you don't jump up and down in the thread? It's kinda a problem on threads with medium-to-long posts and/or lots of pictures.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

AppStore update finally live.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I know the iOS7 version of Awful has gotten a lot of flak in this thread but I really like it and want to thank everyone who has worked so hard in its creation and maintenance. Really, really slick interface and there's absolutely nothing substantial I feel is complaint worthy -- better every release!

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Is there a way to lock orientation in this app?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Is there a way to lock orientation in this app?

absolutely. You swipe up from the bottom of the screen, and press the orientation lock button. Quick and simple!

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
the app now crashes on launch in ios7 on ipad3

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
While I wait for the swipe functionality to come back on the ipad I thought I'd make a suggestion:

Have you considered keeping the button which shows/hides the side menu in the same place? In portrait when I tap the button to show the menu it slides to the middle of screen and I have to reposition my hand to tap it again once I've used the menu. If it stayed in place you could use it without having to look each time where it is. Try opening and closing the menu on an ipad while holding it in portrait. It's a terrible experience. I can't say how much I appreciate the development of the app and the time that goes in to it but I'm still struggling to understand how the usability took such a beating when the visuals were overhauled.

Did anyone ever upload the old version to the App Store? I know a couple of people said they were going to.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

App crashes on launch, iPhone 5, latest OS.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

App crashes on launch, iPhone 5, latest OS.

Works fine for me, try a delete and reinstall maybe?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Dave posted:

AppStore update finally live.

It may be my connection (I'll have to test more) but this update seems to have increased load times and that "unresponsive, but if you touch the screen you'll get taken to the wrong thread" effect.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Trying to view someone's profile still crashes the app immediately. Latest iOS, iPhone 5S.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

It may be my connection (I'll have to test more) but this update seems to have increased load times and that "unresponsive, but if you touch the screen you'll get taken to the wrong thread" effect.

I think on the first launch the app is doing some kind of magic caching or cleanup or something. If you let it spin for a while and finish everything seems to speed up.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh App Store, never stop being buggy:

(It's telling me there is a brand new update to v2.0.2 from January, that I'm already running.)

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 14, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got that too. Then the download failed and when I opened up the app store again I got the correct version notes.

:iiam:

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I have the update, and it seems to be loading pages quicker, which is great, but whenever I try to star a thread to favorite it, the app always crashes.

Edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and it's working fine.

sleepingbuddha fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 14, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

smackfu posted:

Oh App Store, never stop being buggy:

(It's telling me there is a brand new update to v2.0.2 from January, that I'm already running.)
It did the same thing to me but "Update All" was greyed out so I couldn't update at all for a while. Eventually it worked, though. Did the same thing with another app either yesterday or the day before.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Kaethela posted:

Trying to view someone's profile still crashes the app immediately. Latest iOS, iPhone 5S.

The same thing is happening to me on iPhone 5S with iOS 7.0.4

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I have to say, App management has always been buggy on iOS in one way or another. Nothing the Awful devs can do about that, though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Any chance we can get the old, pre-iOS 7 version of this app uploaded as Awful Classic or something? I still have it on an iOS 6 device and it's perfect.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman has said before that he isn't going to do it. I'm not sure it's still on git either. Another route would be to jailbreak and I'm assuming you can force the .app file on the phone then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

pokeyman has said before that he isn't going to do it. I'm not sure it's still on git either. Another route would be to jailbreak and I'm assuming you can force the .app file on the phone then.

git doesn't delete anything, you just have to rewind to whatever release you're interested in.

Anyone with a developer account could publish the app to the store if they so desired.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yep, I believe this is the last pre-iOS 7 version.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Back when Awful 2.0 ruined Christmas, there was a YOSPOSter saying he was planning to throw up a build of 1.11.9 on the app store. No idea what happened to him, though.

• Locked thread