Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

busalover posted:

Check out The Cult Podcast if you want something topically adjacent to LPOTL, but with a more laid-back, non-manic vibe.

Am I the only one who ended up dropping out completely after Andrea left?

Guess the moral of that story is "Don't do a public facing project with your SO"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Oh, she left? I'm still going through old episodes, so I wasn't aware.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Getting through the last Supernova in the East in fits and spurts, and boy howdy is he letting his “just like everybody else, except more so” line do some serious preparation for what I’m sure is about to come.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It’s funny because the infamous finisher doesn’t really have anything to do with that. It just really comes left field and, well, you’ll get to it.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Lions Led by Donkeys jumped up to #3 on the listening list for podcasts this year and I only started two months ago, so consider me a convert. Someone from here encouraged me to listen a year or two ago, and it lived on a to-do list on my phone until recent. :doh:

They have a generally progressive stance. The host and all the guests/co-hosts having been in the US military for years and their brains are kind of melted, but in a fun way. Their humor is ribald and can be extremely funny if you're the kind of person who reflexively imagines weird things as they're described; most podcasts have an air of "hanging out with the guys" though there are some where they serious up a bit when handling subjects like genocides and war criminals, or then-recent news like the insurrection.

A few episodes have bad audio and like most podcasts it takes a few for them to hit their stride, but overall, can't complain. I think the host gets better at research as time goes on, and he's pretty open with how he only uses publicly available internet sources in most cases.

He talks about Caro in one of the episodes, lol. It's kind of interesting to hear his take on Something Awful as someone who sounds like he didn't really use it much.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Everyone should listen to Our Fake History

I've been binging it at work and it's consistently been great

The recent episode on Guns, Germs, and Steel is definitely good, especially for people who are actual historians and often get it as a gift or suggestion from well-meaning family members.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I need to hop on for that one. Read the book like a decade ago, heard there was a lot wrong with it since but haven't listened to all the arguments in one place.

Is the last Dan Carlin ep worth listening to, meltdown aside? I assume it covers the nuking/surrender of Japan, right?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Appoda posted:

Is the last Dan Carlin ep worth listening to, meltdown aside? I assume it covers the nuking/surrender of Japan, right?

Eh, its middling at best and he doesn't really cover the aftermath of the war at all or use anything even close to modern sources. In fact despite him going into painstaking detail about just how crazy manly the USMC is, he ends it with something along the lines of "And we dropped the bombs and the war ended. Thank you for listening folks. Also btw the holocaust? Some silver linings there tbh"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

The recent episode on Guns, Germs, and Steel is definitely good, especially for people who are actual historians and often get it as a gift or suggestion from well-meaning family members.

I am very interested in this, primarily because I have an unfair bias against Diamond because I had to read Collapse in college and thought his writing was mega boring and kinda sucked. But I never had anything to argue against the science of the books, and he was constantly cited by folks I liked and respected.

It is extremely spiteful, and I’m okay with that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rotinaj posted:

I am very interested in this, primarily because I have an unfair bias against Diamond because I had to read Collapse in college and thought his writing was mega boring and kinda sucked. But I never had anything to argue against the science of the books, and he was constantly cited by folks I liked and respected.

It is extremely spiteful, and I’m okay with that.

I'm in the opposite camp, I think I remember liking GG&S "back in the day" (atkstd) but I'm now told it's bad and I'm willing to believe that but haven't heard an explanation of why.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I'm in the opposite camp, I think I remember liking GG&S "back in the day" (atkstd) but I'm now told it's bad and I'm willing to believe that but haven't heard an explanation of why.

I'm in that situation regarding Malcolm Gladwell's books.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Im listening to the OFH episode and it’s really well-done and interesting and imma stick with it (and probably work though the back-catalog) but I guess I’m having a hard time understanding the Moriori thing. From a political standpoint I understand the desire to praise the (apparently egalitarian) power structure of the Moriori versus the (apparently more authoritarian) Māori, but if the Māori did unto the Moriori as the Spaniards did unto the Aztec (which they apparently did) then what does the podcaster thinks this proves?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I thought i had a well above average understanding of history until i read guns, germs and steel and sapiens and thought they were great and eye opening, and then learned that academics instantly saw the massive simplifications while i still can't see how the mistakes are so egregious. At least with podcasts i know i'm getting just one version of history out of many, and not necessarily the most well researched one, while books that go beyond source materials are harder to judge.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I listened to the OFH episode too cause I was curious about it, but something in the ad reads stuck out to me - specifically for some other podcast, he was giving a glowing recommendation for some episode that had an interview with noted rapist Michael Shermer, and that kinda got my back up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

neongrey posted:

I listened to the OFH episode too cause I was curious about it, but something in the ad reads stuck out to me - specifically for some other podcast, he was giving a glowing recommendation for some episode that had an interview with noted rapist Michael Shermer, and that kinda got my back up.

Keep in mind not everyone reads the same things you do. This is the first time I've heard anything about Michael Shermer being a rapist, and back when I cared more about capital A Atheism I encountered his stuff a ton.

Not that I'm disputing whether he is, just saying that not everyone keeps up with the same info as you and it's best not to jump to conclusions about it unless it's a pattern.

E: Yeah looked it up and that's a yikes. Glad I don't really ever run into Shermer stuff anymore. But point stands, I never would've known about if it I weren't reading this thread.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 4, 2021

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Party In My Diapee posted:

I thought i had a well above average understanding of history until i read guns, germs and steel and sapiens and thought they were great and eye opening, and then learned that academics instantly saw the massive simplifications while i still can't see how the mistakes are so egregious. At least with podcasts i know i'm getting just one version of history out of many, and not necessarily the most well researched one, while books that go beyond source materials are harder to judge.

Likewise. There's definitely some eyerolls in some of the broader conclusions about geography but it always seemed more to be a "Take it with a few grains of salt" situation rather than "This person is a charlatan and you shouldn't read it."

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I think the general sentiment is that people with a platform, especially those who couch themselves in legitimacy, should do the due dill and make sure their advertising partners or guests or w/e aren't monsters. Everyone makes mistakes, and I had to dig past wikipedia to find allegations, but it takes like a minute and keeps bad people from getting eyeballs and earholes.

I doubt the Our Fake History guy was like "MeToo'd? More like advertise with MeDude!" Everyone lives a busy life and things slip between the cracks. But, ya know.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I mean Shermer's also notable at this point for being an alt-right adjacent crank, uncritically boosting people like Stefan Molyneux and generally moving in those circles for many years now-- like my primary familiarity with him is less his skepticism and more for being yet another data point in how movement atheism has been increasingly becoming kissing cousins with far right ideologies. The lengthy history of being a sex pest is most directly harmful to individuals, but, like, there's that too. And I appreciate that like not everyone is going to know this but there was an expected familiarity with the guy and his work with how that was presented, so my spidey-senses are kind of tingling, you know?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Reddit in general sucks but the /r/AskHistorians subreddit has a very strict moderation team and requires properly sourced answers for every question. As part of their FAQ they have collated various posts about GGS and why it's not great here.

TL,DR: it's not that what Diamond said is wrong, per se, it's more that he ignores a lot of stuff that contradicts his central thesis and only focuses on the stuff that does fit.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
https://old.reddit.com/r/badhistory is another interesting sub (I just discovered) were popular myths and bad articles get debunked.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The artifact subreddit is great, too. Depressing that so many "history" subreddits are just brimming with conspiracy theory content.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think GGS is important because it gets people to think that maybe the differences in out come we see around the world isn’t based on race.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

GG&S and Lies My Teacher Told Me were both really influential books for a young me because they were the first two things I read that really acknowledged the ambiguity and uncertainty of History as a field. GG&S is definitely imperfect but I think it has some value to the mass market crowd, especially since treatments of non-European/American history barely make a dent in that market anyways.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd rather people read it than just not even approach the topic. It's not total horseshit like Menzies, it just has issues.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't think 'don't even bother' is a common stance at all, I just think most say 'don't use this as your only frame of reference'

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cockblocktopus posted:

GG&S and Lies My Teacher Told Me were both really influential books for a young me because they were the first two things I read that really acknowledged the ambiguity and uncertainty of History as a field. GG&S is definitely imperfect but I think it has some value to the mass market crowd, especially since treatments of non-European/American history barely make a dent in that market anyways.

Has Lies My Teacher Told Me held up? Not American, but that book explained so much about American pop culture to me. Including the bit where it explains why white children wear Indian headdresses every Thanksgiving. (That practice was still going on in 2014.)

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Violet_Sky posted:

Has Lies My Teacher Told Me held up? Not American, but that book explained so much about American pop culture to me. Including the bit where it explains why white children wear Indian headdresses every Thanksgiving. (That practice was still going on in 2014.)

Borrowing from a reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/6cym7x/james_lowen_in_lies_my_teacher_told_me_claims/ posted:

Even if Lowen's critiques of the textbook writing processes are solid (they are, but he is hardly the only critic), even if he is right to be concerned about teachers' lack of knowledge, the overall perspective Lowen presents is quite clear: there is some "true" history that textbooks are obfuscating or straight up ignoring.

Lowen talks about understanding evidence, and why we think what we do, and all other good tools. He then proceeds to do none of it himself. Instead, he commits the same fallacies that the textbooks he yells at do: evaluate historical "stories" based on their ideological significance rather than the evidence in their favor.

I cannot understate the importance of a diversity of sources. We can never really "know the truth," and even then "the truth" is so multi-faceted that it is hardly "a" truth.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

British history podcast is just finally getting to the battle of hastings and after years of listening to it I do wish that he would chuck the music clips in the trash.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Okay but imagine if he lands the Normans on the shore then never releases another episode again.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lawman 0 posted:

British history podcast is just finally getting to the battle of hastings and after years of listening to it I do wish that he would chuck the music clips in the trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah0Ys50CqO8&t=38s

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also the one he uses to fake out a huge fight.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm in that situation regarding Malcolm Gladwell's books.

This thread goes pretty in-depth with specific criticisms:

https://twitter.com/Alan_Allport/status/1395770118785966086?s=20

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

For some reason the funniest thing about that whole thread is getting to the end and instantly recognizing the poster as a fellow Paradox game player

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

yeah gladwell is awful which sucks because i do like reading books that go over about how people thought out ideas and get into peoples heads. but gladwell just wants everything to be some weird parable for social situations or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx4r4AmEmFg this.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That thread is a bit difficult to read since many of the objections amount to an expert saying "this is patently false / ridiculous". Still damning

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Industrial revolutions pod did a two and a half hour show on Industrial warfare oh hell yes. :yeshaha:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On Thursday, Mike Duncan's going to be talking with Patrick Wyman about Wyman's new book.

https://twitter.com/Powells/status/1417151415307280387

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any cool science/emerging tech/engineering podcasts out there? I listen to Still TBD, a continuation of a YouTube series called Undecided. Talks a lot about renewables and green technology, for instance they just had an episode on mycelium based product packaging and modular factory built homes.

Looking for something more lighthearted and less political, for sake of my mental health.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Spotify just recommended me a podcast series called Dictators, has anyone here listened to it yet? Below is a synopsis

quote:

They are natural-born-leaders with a never-ending thirst for power. Through force and deceit, they rise through the ranks towards radicalism—eliminating anyone who stands in their way. Every Tuesday, delve into the minds, and motives, behind some of the world’s most infamous leaders in Parcast’s original series, DICTATORS. Each dictator is analyzed in 2-part episodes...with the first giving insight into their rise to power, and the second chronicling the impact of their downfall.

I'm still working my way through Revolutions but may give this a try next. The first episode covers Pope Julius II who I never even heard of before and now I am intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This alone means it's bad.

If you want to know why, just go and listen to either this or any of their shows. If the hosts' robotic delivery doesn't want to make you ripoff your headphones, you might be their target audience.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 28, 2021