Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Wifi on linux works better than windows*

*If you meticulously research that the wireless card is fully supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does sound work on linux yet?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

sound is good enough at least you can janitor out performance on poo poo hardware. i get paid to do audio poo poo w/ linux but im a huge idiot

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
so is a thinkpad still the best non-apple laptop?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I have a thinkpad x1 carbon and it is very needs suiting

I had to apply a kernel patch to get palm detection to work though

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
wifi is so easy in Linux I exclaim while having to download a binary blob and extract it to the file system

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
though real talk it's way better now that so many people have Intel wifi now

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i can't scroll up using the touchpad in linux. down works but up just scrolls down but faster.

Maximum Leader fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 6, 2014

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Maximum Leader posted:

i can't scroll up using the touchpad in linux. down works but up just scrolls down but faster.

please recompile your touchpad driver with --enable-scroll-up as the default is down and double down because otherwise it breaks Dave's workflow and he's much more willing to force his will via mailing list, irc and bug tracker pissing matches

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

compuserved posted:

so is a thinkpad still the best non-apple laptop?

do not buy non-apple laptops hth

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

esr posted:

I'm sorry you have that impression. In fact I have "Look at how Lilypond does it" on my to-do list. But it has been a busy week and I haven't had time to yet. Weekend won't be any better as I'm being filmed for a documentary. Next week, probably, if it's not crowded out by preparing for my 6th-level test in wing chun kung fu.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Series DD Funding posted:

do not buy non-apple laptopsanything hth

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

this was extremely helpful, thank u!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

what was the impression

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

wrong, that's the clit mouse

u are in error op

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

ur fanaticism has blinded you

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i would remind u that extremism in the defence of steve is no vice!

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

ahmeni posted:

please recompile your touchpad driver with --enable-scroll-up as the default is down and double down because otherwise it breaks Dave's workflow and he's much more willing to force his will via mailing list, irc and bug tracker pissing matches

teehee

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

fritz posted:

what was the impression

someone arguing with esr kept posting explicit examples that disproved esr's position, and esr just ignored them. that was his response when he got called out

esr is the worst thing about linux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://lwn.net/Articles/624776/

it's the weekend and no LWN articles are being posted? let's poo poo up some random thread with countless posts about how SYSTEMD IS BAD despite it having gently caress all to do with systemd

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Mr Dog posted:

http://lwn.net/Articles/624776/

it's the weekend and no LWN articles are being posted? let's poo poo up some random thread with countless posts about how SYSTEMD IS BAD despite it having gently caress all to do with systemd

Half the posts containing systemd were mocking the people that brought it up. What the hell is so hard about learning something new. These people seriously need to read who moved my cheese.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
My new favorite linux story is how a package maintainer for Debian neutered the openssl rng and all the certs were crackable for two years.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

keyvin posted:

My new favorite linux story is how a package maintainer for Debian neutered the openssl rng and all the certs were crackable for two years.

yeah, that sure was a very unfortunate mistake
       /
      /    
    :nsa:  

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

yeah, that sure was a very unfortunate mistake
       /
      /    
    :nsa:  

never ascribe to malevolence...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr Dog posted:

never ascribe to malevolence...

...that which can be explained by your posting

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Soricidus posted:

esr is the worst thing about linux

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lamo so i just spent the last couple hours trying random poo poo to get a custom xinput keymap applied for my weird mouse: reverse left/rightclick + switch up the thumb buttons a bit
but xinput settings are dropped on the floor whenever the machine is suspended, so you have to do some extra bullshit if you don't want your configs randomly changing on you:

- all the howtos from circa 2011 recommend putting it in a /etc/pm/sleep.d script that gets called on resume, but that doesn't work because xinput wants to be run from within the X11 session and not by some random script running as root. also it seems like the mouse device isn't even listed at this point where xinput is concerned
- then some newer poo poo says to use a gnome-settings-daemon 'hotplug script' (even the example script has bad indentation lol). the script runs successfully in the logs but the settings aren't actually sticking -- something is overriding it
- maybe it's xorg itself that's overriding it on resume?? try adding a config to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d (not in /etc for reasons) for the mouse. but nope that's apparently not it either, mapping is still getting stomped
- then i find some people saying to turn off a mouse plugin in gnome-settings-daemon via a manual gconf command, which likewise doesn't seem to do anything but whatever
- THEN when browsing around in there i see a gnome-settings-daemon option to switch the mouse to left-handed directly, which is half of what i want. after switching that on, the left/rightclick are suddenly reversed, now the xinput keymap that's stomping on my custom keymap is suddenly a version that's left-handed

so in short something in gnome-settings-daemon is actively making GBS threads on any custom keymaps whenever the compute resumes from suspend, in such a way that even other customization methods within gnome-settings-daemon itself are themselves stomped on

that said this is bunters lts so who knows maybe it's something canonical did

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
kde has a mouse preferences thinger that will let you customize that poo poo, and kde will take care of restoring settings after resume etc

but preferences dialogues are scary and bad. just keep using gnome with the mouse bindings gnome considers correct

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
does gnome still do that thing where it gives you a slider to choose mouse acceleration with no off

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
more like NOme 3

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

not a registry editor from this distance your honor

(also you might be able to set this to 0 idk)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What would you prefer over a hierarchical key/value database for storing settings?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Suspicious Dish posted:

What would you prefer over a hierarchical key/value database for storing settings?

Random text files with 20 different formats scattered across /etc/ /usr/ /opt :ninja:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

as long as every option is exposed. more choice = better than

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Progressive JPEG posted:

not a registry editor from this distance your honor

(also you might be able to set this to 0 idk)

if it's set to 1 and the default value is -1 then what does 0 do

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
its a nightmare to figure out which config files are actually used and which were deprecated at some point. esp when they aren't actually created unless you need to change something. seems so stupid

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Maximum Leader posted:

its a nightmare to figure out which config files are actually used and which were deprecated at some point. esp when they aren't actually created unless you need to change something. seems so stupid

the same could be said about keys in the store

you cant win

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ruby idiot railed posted:

no idea, half the settings in there dont loving work anyway

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

the issue is that there's a need to drill into the internals to change anything in the first place

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ruby idiot railed posted:

-1 means "use the default that the plugged in mouse says it should be".