Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Josh Lyman posted:

Doesn't Discover generally have the least acceptance at merchants for traditional swipe cards? Is that because of interchange fees or something?

Their acceptance is lower, but not terrible. Their merchant discount rate used to be slightly more expensive - along the lines of American Express. Nowadays, it's gotten a bit cheaper. They just haven't been as successful, mostly due to management decisions. The one thing that Discover does have is excellent acceptance in China, through a partnership with UnionPay.

edit: We're kind of making GBS threads up the iPhone thread with Payments Chat. Would there be any interest if I did a payments Ask/Tell?

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I find it interesting because:

1) I'm apparently the only one in this thread with a Discover card (my MasterCard, Visa, and AMEX all added without a hitch).

2) Apple was apparently discussing a purchase of Discover Financial http://www.pymnts.com/news/2014/did-apple-almost-buy-discover/#.VEf9tfnF81I

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pissingintowind posted:

edit: We're kind of making GBS threads up the iPhone thread with Payments Chat. Would there be any interest if I did a payments Ask/Tell?
Better than another person asking if anyone else has wifi problems. I like the chat in here since most of our questions have to do with Apple Pay. And A/T is low traffic these days.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ anyone still having wi-fi problems?

Pissingintowind posted:

I would be :3:

After a ridiculous couple of days of trying to fix my bricked phone, I'm just up and switching to the iPhone this go-round. My GS3 was crazy great when I first picked it up, but when I sit right down and think about it, all I do with my phone is read the forums and the internet and take photos. Wife has one and it's beautiful, I just want poo poo to work properly and fit in my pockets, I am so not a power user.

GhostJobs claims another acolyte.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Asked Discover on twitter and they said that Apple pay support is TBD but coming.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I would like reading an ask/tell for payments. If you do make a thread there please come back and link it here. Thank you.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
So after updating to ios8, I've been getting weird bug in safari where sometimes the add tab or tabs button next to the plus get greyed out and don't work until I force close safari and reopen. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I finally got all the Handoff stuff working with my macbook, and goddamn this stuff is slick. Well played, Apple. This is really neat use of tech.

Only demerit is the SMS relay config wasn't perfectly transparent, as previous chatter in this thread indicated.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

So Apple Pay is never coming to the previous phones due to a lack of hardware to support it, c/d?

People keep saying the older devices lack hardware, but no hardware is required for Apple Pay support in apps.

Apple is simply not enabling it for older devices, even though they they should be compatible.

Apple Pay is supported on the new iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, but those lack NFC.

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/
(scroll to the very bottom)

Besides lacking any kind of the NFC, the iPad mini 3 and the iPhone 5S have nearly identical hardware (they both have the same A7/M7/TouchID/etc). Yet Apple has the iPad mini 3 "support" Apple Pay, and not the iPhone 5S.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Xenomorph posted:

People keep saying the older devices lack hardware, but no hardware is required for Apple Pay support in apps.

Apple is simply not enabling it for older devices, even though they they should be compatible.

Apple Pay is supported on the new iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, but those lack NFC.

Besides lacking any kind of the NFC, the iPad mini 3 and the iPhone 5S have nearly identical hardware (they both have the same A7/M7/TouchID/etc). Yet Apple has the iPad mini 3 "support" Apple Pay, and not the iPhone 5S.

It's about the Touch ID, obviously.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
How do you get hand off to work?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's about the Touch ID, obviously.

Then why block it from the iPhone 5S? Did the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 get a different Touch ID than the iPhone 5S? Are we waiting for teardowns to confirm?

That seems like a kick in the guts to those who purchased the iPhone 5S with the hope of using Touch ID for purchases.
Apple Pay is finally revealed, but Apple has chosen to not enable it on the iPhone 5S, despite it possibly having the same hardware as another device that did get it.

iPad mini 3: A7/M7/Touch ID: Apple Pay for Apps
iPhone 5S: A7/M7/Touch ID: Nope!

It looks like that despite having an ~advanced~ Touch ID and all its potential, the iPhone 5S is being limited to just quicker unlocking and app downloads.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Apple reserving new features for only the newest model? Never again Apple! Literally Apple's MO.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Actually, it isn't entirely true that Apple Pay in-app purchase has no hardware requirements. It does require what's known in the industry as a hardware "secure element." The way that Apple Pay works is that it provisions tokenized card credentials onto a hardware secure element on the phone (this is why you can continue to use Apple Pay even when you aren't connected to the internet). If an iDevice doesn't have a secure element, it can't do Apple Pay, neither in a contactless NFC environment, nor through in-app purchase. The in-app purchase environment is extremely unique - it actually supports the EMV chip cryptography generated by the applet on the secure element even though it is not a contact or contactless chip transaction. This means it qualifies for better "Card Present" interchange rates.

Bottom line is that I don't know for sure, but my money is on the iPhone 5S not having a hardware secure element, since it came out before Apple knew how the solution it asked Visa and MasterCard to put together would work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

How do you get hand off to work?

From what I can tell, devices have to be on the same wifi network (maybe just the same subnet is sufficient, haven't tested much), within bluetooth range, and logged into the same iCloud account.

Once those qualifications are met it just magically works.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I could have sworn that Apple mentioned SMS Continuity for PC a long time ago, but I can't find any information on it. Is that a thing they ever said or am I misremembering?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

They never have. You might be thinking of iCloud Drive which is supported on Windows.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Pissingintowind posted:

Actually, it isn't entirely true that Apple Pay in-app purchase has no hardware requirements. It does require what's known in the industry as a hardware "secure element." The way that Apple Pay works is that it provisions tokenized card credentials onto a hardware secure element on the phone (this is why you can continue to use Apple Pay even when you aren't connected to the internet). If an iDevice doesn't have a secure element, it can't do Apple Pay, neither in a contactless NFC environment, nor through in-app purchase. The in-app purchase environment is extremely unique - it actually supports the EMV chip cryptography generated by the applet on the secure element even though it is not a contact or contactless chip transaction. This means it qualifies for better "Card Present" interchange rates.

Bottom line is that I don't know for sure, but my money is on the iPhone 5S not having a hardware secure element, since it came out before Apple knew how the solution it asked Visa and MasterCard to put together would work.

I really appreciate the explanations that you are providing. Thank you.

It's really interesting stuff.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

xzzy posted:

From what I can tell, devices have to be on the same wifi network (maybe just the same subnet is sufficient, haven't tested much), within bluetooth range, and logged into the same iCloud account.

Once those qualifications are met it just magically works.

My problem was solved when Messages decided I need to sign in through the "sign up for iMessage" dialogue. For whatever reason, the existing settings didn't just work.

Then I got a flood of all of the messages and text handoff prompts that weren't showing up before.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

To use Apple Pay at card readers and online, you need both NFC and the secure element. Which the 6 and 6+ have.
To use Apple Pay online ONLY, you need the secure element. Which those iPads have.
Because the 5s has neither, it can't use Apple Pay until the Watch comes out, which will have both of those and can be sort of tethered to it.

(I think this is right, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is it all the custom keyboards that have that bug where occasionally typed words aren't inputted, or is it just swype? I've also noticed the landscape mode for swype is kind of bugged and takes up the whole screen.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Anyone else lose vibration for SMS after using system-wide Do Not Disturb mode? i6/8.1

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

Anyone else lose vibration for SMS after using system-wide Do Not Disturb mode? i6/8.1
Do Not Disturb does not disturb you, including vibrating for SMS. That's sorta the point.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do Not Disturb does not disturb you, including vibrating for SMS. That's sorta the point.

I should clarify: I mean after turning it off.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rated PG-34 posted:

Is it all the custom keyboards that have that bug where occasionally typed words aren't inputted, or is it just swype? I've also noticed the landscape mode for swype is kind of bugged and takes up the whole screen.

The only issues I've run into with swiftkey are it deciding on its own that a word is over (presumably fails to collect input for some reason), words typed out instead of swiped being corrected as if you did swipe type them, and crashing to regular keyboard all too often (probably once every three text inputs). So not the same issue, but certainly issues.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

spongeworthy posted:

I should clarify: I mean after turning it off.

I've had an issue ever since 7.1 that my screen would rarely work properly when receiving a text. Like it'll vibrate but sometimes the screen won't turn on or it'll come on and right off. Nothing I've seen fixes it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I've had an issue ever since 7.1 that my screen would rarely work properly when receiving a text. Like it'll vibrate but sometimes the screen won't turn on or it'll come on and right off. Nothing I've seen fixes it.

Is that in general or after using DND? A reboot seems to fix mine but it's annoying having to do it now two days in a row.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

Then why block it from the iPhone 5S? Did the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 get a different Touch ID than the iPhone 5S? Are we waiting for teardowns to confirm?

That seems like a kick in the guts to those who purchased the iPhone 5S with the hope of using Touch ID for purchases.
Apple Pay is finally revealed, but Apple has chosen to not enable it on the iPhone 5S, despite it possibly having the same hardware as another device that did get it.

iPad mini 3: A7/M7/Touch ID: Apple Pay for Apps
iPhone 5S: A7/M7/Touch ID: Nope!

It looks like that despite having an ~advanced~ Touch ID and all its potential, the iPhone 5S is being limited to just quicker unlocking and app downloads.
Can I ask why you care why you can't use Apple Pay for apps on 5s when you can still use TouchID to use the card attached to your Apple account?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Any reason why Swiftkey refuses to let me swipe words? I've got Flow turned on, it just doesn't work. I remember using it on my android and liking it.

Shouldn't Safari be using google's instant search? Where do I turn that on?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Man, after coming from a 4s it sure is nice being able to switch apps - so many times - without resetting them due to lack of memory. With ios7 I literally couldn't even switch browser tabs without having to reload.

Quick review of the Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal: like it. Fits super tight, the back is textured for a better grip (although I wish they'd just made it rubber), and all the buttons work (contrary to what the reviews say - this seems to be a problem they've fixed). Only gripe I have is that the vibrate switch is buried so far inside the case that you've got to have a coke nail just to reach it. Oh, and the power button says PWR. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help on that one.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

spongeworthy posted:

Is that in general or after using DND? A reboot seems to fix mine but it's annoying having to do it now two days in a row.

General. I don't reboot often but can say its persisted through restores.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Used ApplePay for the first time today to buy some groceries. The store doesn't list ApplePay support, but it's got NFC readers at every checkout plastered with MC PayPass/Visa payWave/whatever AmEx and Discover's NFC system logos are. Worked perfectly. I expect this sort of thing is going to be true at a lot of places that don't specifically tout ApplePay readiness.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah, I've used it at Harris Teeter and CVS, neither of which is listed as supported. Only failure so far is at the NFC-equipped vending machine in my office which tries to authorize and then gives a card declined message.

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
Yeah, I don't really understand why it is that Apple is trying to brand specific "partner" stores as supporting Apple Pay, when it seems to work just fine with the standard NFC terminals at stores that are too small to ever have been contacted by Apple prior to the event last month. It seems like this would lower usage at these stores?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

nougatmachine posted:

Yeah, I don't really understand why it is that Apple is trying to brand specific "partner" stores as supporting Apple Pay, when it seems to work just fine with the standard NFC terminals at stores that are too small to ever have been contacted by Apple prior to the event last month. It seems like this would lower usage at these stores?

They're probably trying to protect their image. If Apple had just said that it works on any NFC terminal and people go out to whatever restaurant or store and the transaction fails for some oddball reason, people will assume that's a problem with Apple.

By providing a whitelist, Apple ensures that people will have a consistent and good experience with this new feature/service.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Going back to the built-in keyboard because input issues are such a pain.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
Can Apple Pay work offline?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

kys posted:

Can Apple Pay work offline?

Yep. Sure can!

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Gentlemen (e: and ladies!), I've created a payments industry thread in Ask / Tell - direct your questions about Apple Pay over there, and I'll be happy to answer.

Maybe would be helpful if we could throw the link into the OP?

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

jackpot posted:

Man, after coming from a 4s it sure is nice being able to switch apps - so many times - without resetting them due to lack of memory. With ios7 I literally couldn't even switch browser tabs without having to reload.

Quick review of the Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal: like it. Fits super tight, the back is textured for a better grip (although I wish they'd just made it rubber), and all the buttons work (contrary to what the reviews say - this seems to be a problem they've fixed). Only gripe I have is that the vibrate switch is buried so far inside the case that you've got to have a coke nail just to reach it. Oh, and the power button says PWR. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help on that one.
I have the regular plastic bumper instead of the metal version and all the same applies to your review. However, due to having to reach in really far to try and flick the mute switch, it's developed a little split at the thinnest point of the plastic in that area. I've emailed Spigen asking if they can replace (or sell replacements) for the bumper section only, but haven't heard anything back yet.