Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cannondellah posted:

Ive always wondered exactly how that works. So theyre unconscious and you drag them into the cage. Can you just keep them there indefinitely? Can they kill themselves from eating their own poo or like a cyanide capsule(organic polymer)? Can they punch the cage and break it? Do you have to keep them unconscious like a tamed dino?

You keep them drugged so they can't kill themselves and eventually they just have to go to a different server because they can't play on that one.

This is working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Cannondellah posted:

Ive always wondered exactly how that works. So theyre unconscious and you drag them into the cage. Can you just keep them there indefinitely? Can they kill themselves from eating their own poo or like a cyanide capsule(organic polymer)? Can they punch the cage and break it? Do you have to keep them unconscious like a tamed dino?

They have a lot of options to commit suicide, poopin' and eating it, punching something that hurts them, etc. So just keep periodically shooting them with tranqs to keep them sleeping and they'll live until they starve to death I guess.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Spanish Matlock posted:

They have a lot of options to commit suicide, poopin' and eating it, punching something that hurts them, etc. So just keep periodically shooting them with tranqs to keep them sleeping and they'll live until they starve to death I guess.
Dont forget - they added handcuffs

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Cannondellah posted:

You've got it figured out. Keep them unconscious to keep them caged. Happened to a friend of mine. After getting tired of staring at his "drugged haze" screen, he keyed his mic and played Rick Astley "Never Gonna Give You Up" on repeat. Took about 45 minutes before they just killed him to make it stop.

quote:

people can put food in your inventory and force feed you to keep you alive.

Cannondellah
Mar 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Magmarashi posted:

You keep them drugged so they can't kill themselves and eventually they just have to go to a different server because they can't play on that one.

This is working as intended.

This just seems like something that shouldnt be in the game but its so hilarious. As long as it doesnt happen to me.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Rickroll saves lives

technically

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spanish Matlock posted:

Also just pinning their mic open and playing the Barney song at max volume all day every day

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cannondellah posted:

This just seems like something that shouldnt be in the game but its so hilarious. As long as it doesnt happen to me.
From personal experience, I can definitely confirm that if someone wants to be an annoying dink and doesn't give a poo poo, it's remarkably hard to keep them from constantly coming back and taking out your periphery defenses, sneaking up on your guild players while they're distracted in a tough fight, etc.

Unless things have changed to a huge degree even one naked player can be crazy dangerous, I once participated in a base raid which was held off for a couple hours by ONE naked player, who'd gotten to like level 50 and put almost all his points into melee dmg (he had also made his character huuge so a few of the younger players in my party kept flipping out and panicking because he was almost twice the size of some of our players who tended to be midgets). He'd rush out of his base while we were fighting his turrets and kick the crap out of several people (we had 6-12 standing around trying to break in) then die and respawn and do it again before we could get to his beds. took ages to build a set of cages and put all the people from that base into them, alive, and even then they began dying almost immediately so we just blew the whole place up and left eventually.. Imagine that guy coming back and finding one of our heavily-geared players in the woods and 1 or two-shot KOing them, then taking all their gear and coming back with a vengeance.. And it doesn't ever stop, having you log in to hear ANOTHER one of your guildmates who lost a whole set of really good gear and weapons and supplies to one naked dude.

I and my guild also spent over 3 or 4 days once, along with most of the other guilds on the north AND east coasts on my server as well, trying to track down and catch this one guy who'd entirely ripped off his guild and booted everyone, then abandoned their base and built a secret underwater bunker that took ages to find. I mean we were rolling around with flying dino platforms and T-Rexes and sniper rifles and nice armor and it's just a huge pain in the rear end to find someone if they know how to hide and stay alive.. Also on console it's damned hard to hit a player sometimes if they're bobbing around and lagging a bit, so it's really tough to tranq them or billy club them to sleep and then heal them up so they don't die during the trip to jail.

Just keeping a dude KOed in a cage is a huge amount of work and resources and probably ought to require at least two people watching at all times.. And even then, it only takes one dipshit with a crossbow to kill your prisoner from a ridge and bam, they're up and running again. Just keep a cage in your inventory when hunting players and call for help from teammates once you find or tranq them and lock them up is the best way, but picking them up and carrying them with a pterodactyle may end up with them either accidentally dying during transport, or waking up and punching the poo poo out of the ptero and making the player panic and drop him into the ocean and/or or lose his flying mount.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Topor damage is really bullshit and all the armor sets should be updated to have tiers of protection against it.

The D.E.A. goons had a blueprint for a club that could knock anybody out instantly from how powerful it was, but even a regular club can OHKO someone if the user has 250% melee.

Putty fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 7, 2017

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

Putty posted:

Topor damage is really bullshit and all the armor sets should be updated to have tiers of protection against it.

The D.E.A. goons had a blueprint for a club that could knock anybody out instantly from how powerful it was, but even a regular club can OHKO someone if the user has 250% melee.

You should always have at least 300% melee and an ascendant club. You will kill most people with one hit plus you can use a good riot shield to protect yourself or a metal shield if you are having fun around.

The Risk fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 8, 2017

Cannondellah
Mar 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Risk posted:

You should always have at least 300% melee and an ascendant club. You will kill most people with one hit plus you can use a good riot shield to protect yourself or a metal shield if you are having fun around.

whats easiest way to get an ascendant club? Alphas? Red drops? Loot crates? Knocking out someone with an ascendant club? Or even just any upgraded club, Ive never even seen one.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Is it actually possible to tame a Hyenadon

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You gotta pet the doggo

But this is Ark, so you need to be wearing a camo suit and chugging cactus juice so you don't scare it and you need to pet it sixteen billion times, once every two minutes for the next eight hours of your life

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
And if something scares the doggo or hurts it or it gets near something that's hurt and it wants to eat then you get to start all over again!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So what is the story on the whine about the great flyer nerf exactly? Was it just damage and the fact the quetz can't regen stam while hovering anymore or was there more to it?

The reason I ask is because I kind of wisely chose to spawn on the eastern island on the center for my single player game. Island is just herbivores with a couple of small time carnivores involved (dilos mainly). This has been great as a start, but the pteras that also spawn here seemed like a great thing, but the one I tamed can barely get across this island before running out of stam. I'm wondering if this is a stam issue specific to the bird, or if this is a thing I need to adjust to as a whole. I already know about the leeds smashing rafts because that seemed like a good idea when you can't control your spawns well. Basically, I need to get off the island as I've outgrown it now, but I don't see a way off other than perhaps by turtle.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 10, 2017

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JuffoWup posted:

So what is the story on the whine about the great flyer nerf exactly? Was it just damage and the fact the quetz can't regen stam while hovering anymore or was there more to it?

The reason I ask is because I kind of wisely chose to spawn on the eastern island on the center for my single player game. Island is just herbivores with a couple of small time carnivores involved (dilos mainly). This has been great as a start, but the pteras that also spawn here seemed like a great thing, but the one I tamed can barely get across this island before running out of stam. I'm wondering if this is a stam issue specific to the bird, or if this is a thing I need to adjust to as a whole. I already know about the leeds smashing rafts because that seemed like a good idea when you can't control your spawns well. Basically, I need to get off the island as I've outgrown it now, but I don't see a way off other than perhaps by turtle.

Their speed is locked to a standard % based on the flyer and cannot be altered upwards by levels

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

Their speed is locked to a standard % based on the flyer and cannot be altered upwards by levels

Ok, so a ptera or argent can still do world crossing hops with enough stam then. And my trouble is just the ptera was a low level tame that probably came with low amounts of stam.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
They decreased stam on all of them too, so yes your lower level would have much less than a lower level bird a few months ago.

People were pissed because most tribes breeding focused around birds and it got tossed

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
A low level argent will have to land if it misses a grab now cause it has that low stamina

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
https://clips.twitch.tv/AmazonianMoldyGnatKippa

WOAH

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The dive is interesting - new flight system?

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
:poopsiren: new map and servers just released! Something called Ragnarok. GET IN WHILE THE GETTING IS GOOD

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

If we decide on a particular server to :goon: , please post it ASAP and make sure we have the PGS thread updated. I've been hoping that map would drop soon, it looks like a great direction to take their content expansion plans.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Haven't played Ragnarok too much yet, just about 90 minutes or so. The beaches are not exactly as safe as they have been in other Arks... ran into a lvl 145 Rex about 30 seconds after entering the game, so that was a lot of fun.

Also: GRIFFONS!!!!!

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Sarkazm posted:

Haven't played Ragnarok too much yet, just about 90 minutes or so. The beaches are not exactly as safe as they have been in other Arks... ran into a lvl 145 Rex about 30 seconds after entering the game, so that was a lot of fun.

Also: GRIFFONS!!!!!

I’m about 12 hours in. It’s by far my favourite map and it’s only half complete. I started off on the beach and now my buddy and I have the beginnings of a base built on a bridge that crosses over a 200ft canyon. The ruined man made structures everywhere are by far my favourite feature of this map, they seem to make otherwise bland areas really interesting. That you can build on/in them is a massive bonus

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Linx posted:

I’m about 12 hours in. It’s by far my favourite map and it’s only half complete. I started off on the beach and now my buddy and I have the beginnings of a base built on a bridge that crosses over a 200ft canyon. The ruined man made structures everywhere are by far my favourite feature of this map, they seem to make otherwise bland areas really interesting. That you can build on/in them is a massive bonus

It is pretty cool, indeed. Spent a bit more time on the map last night after work. I'm a big fan of the fact that it looks like they built in several areas that are relatively flat for easier building. Stacking foundations for a larger building pad sucks...

Found several large scale ruins: What appears to be a good sized ruined village in a swamp, a couple towers, what seems to be a light house (didn't get too close to that just yet as it was surrounded by a bunch of Allosaurs). Even found a pretty cool ice cave full of bears.

I do have to say its pretty awesome that you can find vegetables growing wild and dont need to necessarily farm to get them now.

So many cool little things that make it better.

Sarkazm fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 15, 2017

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Holy poo poo when did the UI start being good? I've been away too long.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It cannot be stated how much better the dino behavior menu is than it was just 2 weeks ago.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Have any of you had issues with weird dino spawning on Ragnarok? I'm talking like 5 minutes after command killing all wild dinos the game goes loving berserk and starts spawning like triple the amount of dinos everywhere. It's just my buddy and myself that play on his private server and the only things we have turned up are resource gathering amount, taming time and incubation time, nothing else. It's so bad that I cannot enjoy playing this at all...

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've noticed viking bay becomes a slaughtering ground as predators of every stripe descend on it. Me and a buddy had to help another friend (a new player) get off the beach since he'd be killed seconds after spawning by t rexs, terror birds, argentavi and everything in between.

Even then we ate poo poo a few times.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Carcer posted:

I've noticed viking bay becomes a slaughtering ground as predators of every stripe descend on it. Me and a buddy had to help another friend (a new player) get off the beach since he'd be killed seconds after spawning by t rexs, terror birds, argentavi and everything in between.

Unrelenting predators and massive aggro ranges are two of the key biggest frustrations for me when playing this game. Carnivores leaving dead bodies sitting around so they can go attack the next living target and Mantas swarming at you from loving MILES away (defensive behaviors my entire rear end) really bug me a great deal.

Also, gently caress Leeds

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Been playing on a no transfer ragnarok server and it's a lot of fun. The alpha tribe is a lot of shoot on sight no talking garbage, but I managed to pump up to level 40 over a weekend and there's so much more poo poo going on than the last time I played.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Carcer posted:

I've been on the beach happily slapping together thatch garbage to hide in when two rexes and a gang of allosaurs came tumbling off the cliff in an avalanche of hate. I did not survive the party. Not at all...

The "safety" of the beach is not a thing on Ragnarok.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Beach safety is a thing from like a year ago. Ever since they changed biomes around and made the beaches really really super unsafe. My peaceful safe spot got turned into a fuckin swamp

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Beach safety is a thing from like a year ago. Ever since they changed biomes around and made the beaches really really super unsafe. My peaceful safe spot got turned into a fuckin swamp

Yeah but on the Ragnarok map the beach area is specifically marked as a recommended spawn area

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The Jungle beach is safe as houses. The Viking Bay Beach might be more dangerous.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
To be fair there's a lot of resources available in viking bay that you'd otherwise have to go inland to find.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Friends and I have been playing this dumb game on console a lot and our absolute favorite weird quirk is being able to chug narcotics and sleep through heatwaves with absolutely no repercussions. If anything it's beneficial!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Nice, they are finally fixing food consumption:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/1368380934238905470/

Basically, you can't just put dinos on stasis and let them survive with minimal food usage like before. However, this also means baby dinos won't consume food as much as they do now. Judging from the last line, there is more to this patch than this, but no update on the patch notes yet which means they missed their "we'll be patching this today" remark as the post is 19 hours old already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I come bearing patch notes. https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/166421-pc-patch-notes-current-v25886-upcoming-259-8-am-est/

There's a lot in there! Enough that I'm not going to quote it here. A metric fuckton of bugfixes and quality of life improvements, though.

ETA is 8 am EST which happened half an hour ago so... :shrug: