Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

a return to 4:3 aspect ratio.

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Lady Naga posted:

What the gently caress

Vertical screen space is way more useful when editing documents, writing code, etc. 16:9 is better for watching videos. I've seen a nonzero number of coders complain that almost all screens are too short to see as much of their work as they'd like.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Arglebargle III posted:

Have you ever heard of that beetle that will have sex with discarded brown bottles until it dies, because attractive=large&shiny&brown and female beetles can't compete?

Kanye West?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Uncle Enzo posted:

. I've seen a nonzero number of coders complain that almost all screens are too short to see as much of their work as they'd like.
My husband just bought a vertical monitor. It makes him v happy.

Holy poo poo, that Just Eggs story is corrupt, and the company exploits its workers as well! Truly a worthy addition to this thread. I had actually been rooting for them. I am left wondering "Doesn't anybody know how to play this game?"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Uncle Enzo posted:

Vertical screen space is way more useful when editing documents, writing code, etc. 16:9 is better for watching videos. I've seen a nonzero number of coders complain that almost all screens are too short to see as much of their work as they'd like.

That's just because they follow code width "standards" like sheeple. Be a rebel and inline those functions, you'll fill a widescreen in no time.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Artificially inflating sales figures by buying your own product happens all the time in the publishing industry. It's not surprising that startups would try the same thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

Artificially inflating sales figures by buying your own product happens all the time in the publishing industry. It's not surprising that startups would try the same thing.

Politicians love this. Have your campaign buy a lot of copies of your book to hand out and you can push yourself up the bestseller list while also diverting campaign contributions to yourself and your publisher.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

withak posted:

Politicians love this. Have your campaign buy a lot of copies of your book to hand out and you can push yourself up the bestseller list while also diverting campaign contributions to yourself and your publisher.

The likes of Rush and Hannity do it as well. If memory serves the NYT best seller list had to change the rules to stop wealthy right wing poo poo bags from shoving themselves into the top ratings regularly. I think one of the biggest drivers of that was the complete garbage that O'Reilly wrote. I could drunkenly fart a better book than he can write and I keep a copy of Those Who Trespass only because it's the single worst book I've ever read. It isn't even "so bad it's good" or anything like that. It's on the level of "if you want to learn how to write read this book and then do the exact opposite of what O'Reilly did."

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The likes of Rush and Hannity do it as well. If memory serves the NYT best seller list had to change the rules to stop wealthy right wing poo poo bags from shoving themselves into the top ratings regularly. I think one of the biggest drivers of that was the complete garbage that O'Reilly wrote. I could drunkenly fart a better book than he can write and I keep a copy of Those Who Trespass only because it's the single worst book I've ever read. It isn't even "so bad it's good" or anything like that. It's on the level of "if you want to learn how to write read this book and then do the exact opposite of what O'Reilly did."

Masochism can be dangerous op

parcs
Nov 20, 2011
Walmart buys Jet.com, an e-commerce website launched just 1 year ago and "expected to reach profitability by 2020", for $3 billion

Good idea?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Terrible idea but Walmart is desperate because their online efforts keep (edit)flopping hard.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 8, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Walmart in general is having issues because everybody hates them.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Jet.com won't be around it 2020. They have some pretty great deals on stuff now but I can't see them being able to compete with amazon while still being able to turn a profit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I'm really surprised that the grocery stores didn't notice something was up, given the amount of trend analysis they perform on purchases.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm really surprised that the grocery stores didn't notice something was up, given the amount of trend analysis they perform on purchases.

They probably did, but didn't complain since people were buying the stuff at retail prices and not on credit.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Solkanar512 posted:

i work at a startup in this market and retailers and vendors (especially vendors) have almost zero ability to do any kind of analysis on trends like this. we have gigantic multinational customers that are amazed we can even aggregate sales by product category or by arbitrary labels. their in house analysis is interns and new grads making $30k and working with garbage excel spreadsheets if they have any in house analysis at all

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Roger Craig posted:

Jet.com won't be around it 2020. They have some pretty great deals on stuff now but I can't see them being able to compete with amazon while still being able to turn a profit.

Wasn't Jet the one that was literally buying stuff from Amazon if they couldn't stock the customer's request, then charging a lower price and taking a loss on the item?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

the talent deficit posted:

i work at a startup in this market and retailers and vendors (especially vendors) have almost zero ability to do any kind of analysis on trends like this. we have gigantic multinational customers that are amazed we can even aggregate sales by product category or by arbitrary labels. their in house analysis is interns and new grads making $30k and working with garbage excel spreadsheets if they have any in house analysis at all

Given the nature and amount of data they gather, that is absolutely astounding.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Wait, so does that mean that somehow Target is unique in their ability to predict future purchases? You know, the whole "sending women coupons for pregnancy related items before most folks would know" thing that came out a few years back?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Given the nature and amount of data they gather, that is absolutely astounding.

one of our clients once was (major national bank you've definitely heard of and probably have an account with) and their senior VPs in the division we were contracting with did their departmental analysis on an unencrypted excel file that they just emailed to each other

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
That scares me. Please tell me someone pointed out the security risks?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, so does that mean that somehow Target is unique in their ability to predict future purchases? You know, the whole "sending women coupons for pregnancy related items before most folks would know" thing that came out a few years back?

Target is so unique in this regard that Amazon opened a downtown Minneapolis office right across a skyway bridge from Target's analytics guys and all but hung a sign in the bridge saying "FREE RSUs!"

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It is hard to understate how much room there is to roll out analytics to the world, coupled with how little of it will ever be rolled out due to cost and Excel-inertia.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 8, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well, that's why they say that having big data isn't the solution, it's kind of a problem :D

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ocrumsprug posted:

It is hard to understate how much room there is to roll out analytics to the world, coupled with how little of it will ever be rolled out due to cost and Excel-interia.

yup

if you're wondering how and why microsoft is still as profitable as apple despite apple dominating the consumer gadget market and microsoft releasing increasingly obnoxious operating systems and little else, it's because microsoft captured like 95% of the white collar office software market and it's extremely difficult to dislodge that

you can swap iphone for android pretty easy. sherry from marketing will keep an iron grip on Outlook until she retires

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yup

if you're wondering how and why microsoft is still as profitable as apple despite apple dominating the consumer gadget market and microsoft releasing increasingly obnoxious operating systems and little else, it's because microsoft captured like 95% of the white collar office software market and it's extremely difficult to dislodge that

you can swap iphone for android pretty easy. sherry from marketing will keep an iron grip on Outlook until she retires

also apple is more expensive

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

one of our clients once was (major national bank you've definitely heard of and probably have an account with) and their senior VPs in the division we were contracting with did their departmental analysis on an unencrypted excel file that they just emailed to each other

this is amazing

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My husband just bought a vertical monitor. It makes him v happy.

Holy poo poo, that Just Eggs story is corrupt, and the company exploits its workers as well! Truly a worthy addition to this thread. I had actually been rooting for them. I am left wondering "Doesn't anybody know how to play this game?"

I think they played pretty well. If they hadn't cheated the contractors (if you're doing shady poo poo reward the people who are doing it for you should be rule #1 in the startup handbook (Rule 0 is you're going to do shady poo poo)) they'd probably have gotten away with it.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yep. This sounds about right.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
consistently it's the largest organizations we work with that have the most problems and the most hosed up god awful procedures and idiotic trouble spots that could easily be avoided, because small fish are either competent or they go out of business

another one of our clients is a tiny non-profit and they have the most on point IT/Server team, like whenever a ticket comes in from them you know they've found a bug or something

it's not all doom though, i've worked with (large firm you've probably heard of, especially if you have a white collar career) and their development team might have been literal wizards (not in the virgin sense) but by and large the larger a company is the more they can tolerate or even encourage incompetence and inefficiency in their ranks

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Peztopiary posted:

I think they played pretty well. If they hadn't cheated the contractors (if you're doing shady poo poo reward the people who are doing it for you should be rule #1 in the startup handbook (Rule 0 is you're going to do shady poo poo)) they'd probably have gotten away with it.

Their accountants couldn't spot it? What am I saying, accountants' customers are the corporations, not the shareholders.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baby Babbeh posted:

Yep. This sounds about right.

If there isn't a rolling intern manually populating the sheet with the weekly numbers, this would be a pretty sophisticated setup.

~~~

If you can come up with a data management solution that can

1) quickly (cheaply) integrate with custom built sales databases,
2) provide a ready made analytics package that can be used to easily build BI queries,
3) and can populate a pivot table in Excel with that information.

You probably have a $50 billion idea that your sales team will only be able to capture $30 million from, and most of that will be from point 3.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ocrumsprug posted:

If there isn't a rolling intern manually populating the sheet with the weekly numbers, this would be a pretty sophisticated setup.

~~~

If you can come up with a data management solution that can

1) quickly (cheaply) integrate with custom built sales databases,
2) provide a ready made analytics package that can be used to easily build BI queries,
3) and can populate a pivot table in Excel with that information.

You probably have a $50 billion idea that your sales team will only be able to capture $30 million from, and most of that will be from point 3.

this is so depressingly true. we spend 80% of our development resources on a front end to our ETL pipeline no one uses. like 95% of our users just use our 'export to excel' feature

also 'emailing around an excel file' is pretty sophisticated as far as the industry goes. we have one customer that is a major fashion brand you have guaranteed owned something from and they decide production targets based on meetings where they get together and debate how much they 'feel' something will sell. they have no analytics at all apart from a pilot project with us they haven't rolled out yet

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

we have one customer that is a major fashion brand you have guaranteed owned something from and they decide production targets based on meetings where they get together and debate how much they 'feel' something will sell. they have no analytics at all apart from a pilot project with us they haven't rolled out yet
You are reminding me of the spring when the fashion industry decreed that we would all be wearing lemon yellow, lime green, and tangerine. That poo poo stayed right on the racks where they put it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think a lot of companies have problems with big data poo poo because they collect garbage data that doesn't reflect reality, and the first time the forecast fucks up they go back to using whatever method they had before

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Roger Craig posted:

Well if you have no expenses, they can't be more than the no profits you have, which means profitability!

Sundae posted:

Wasn't Jet the one that was literally buying stuff from Amazon if they couldn't stock the customer's request, then charging a lower price and taking a loss on the item?

Oh, the pets.com business model.

duz fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 9, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sundae posted:

This is even funnier because setting up a dropship account with Amazon is so dead-easy SaH moms do it for their mommyblogs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

rscott posted:

I think a lot of companies have problems with big data poo poo because they collect garbage data that doesn't reflect reality, and the first time the forecast fucks up they go back to using whatever method they had before

Big Garbage In, Big Garbage Out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've worked with companies before who could tell you the weather that was outside when someone bought a product but not if they were a memeber of the store.

I got a data system approved 17 months faster than scheduled by telling a vp if she installed a data management system she could stop being targeted by her own companies ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You are reminding me of the spring when the fashion industry decreed that we would all be wearing lemon yellow, lime green, and tangerine. That poo poo stayed right on the racks where they put it.

I remember reading an article a several years ago about how the fashion industry decides what colours we'll be wearing (and buying all sorts of household and other goods in), and it's all down to the Color Marketing Group which is a sort of international designer cartel which sets this sort of thing every so often. There was one comment that said it was like finding out the Illuminati had a graphics design and fashion division.