Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Also Minbari mating rituals are pretty intense.

Woo-hoo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TraderStav posted:

Also Minbari mating rituals are pretty intense.

Woo-hoo?

With all their rituals for every little thing I'm surprised they ever manage to launch a ship.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Midjack posted:

I always wanted to get one of the Kosh action figures, seal it up, and put the ink, polyhedron, and clear window from the popular fortune telling toy in it. You can’t tell me Magic 8 Kosh wouldn’t have flown off the shelves.

If they had, I'd still have mine.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TraderStav posted:

Sounds like something a Vorlon would say!

You do not understand.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TraderStav posted:

Mars Racing (first half of episode)

This beef between Sheridan and Gariabialdi is either being poorly done or is a show the two of them cooked up for some external purpose. Maybe to ingratiate Gariabialdi into some criminal element and infiltrate them. If it's real, it's dumb and unnecessary

Just keep watching.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just about everything in Babylon 5 has a purpose. If you can't discern it now, you aren't meant to yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

10-4, just to share my headspace, what's throwing me off is he is carrying whatever charade with Delenn in private.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

I always wanted to get one of the Kosh action figures, seal it up, and put the ink, polyhedron, and clear window from the popular fortune telling toy in it. You can’t tell me Magic 8 Kosh wouldn’t have flown off the shelves.

Better than that Londo doll.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

Better than that Londo doll.

It's a mockery!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Platonicsolid posted:

It's a mockery!

Symbolically cast...ing an augury.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

TraderStav posted:

It's all I can see with Steven Furst

I just rewatched The Coming of Shadows earlier today, and I think Vir may now be my favorite character. At least for this watch-through.

mid-S2:
"A believe there is a Narn colony on the border of Centauri space. Quadrant 14."
"Londo."

"Find Mr. Morden, bring him here."
"Londo, don't do this."

And then, later, Refa tries to hand Vir his empty cup and Vir just glares at him.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vavrek posted:

I just rewatched The Coming of Shadows earlier today, and I think Vir may now be my favorite character. At least for this watch-through.

Vir is my favorite of the whole show. Londo and G'Kar are the best drama to watch, but Vir is basically the best all around person on the whole drat station.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Vavrek posted:

CainFortea posted:

Vir is my favorite of the whole show. Londo and G'Kar are the best drama to watch, but Vir is basically the best all around person on the whole drat station.

He's hands down, the most decent character i the main cast. Possibly the show.

(Waves, like this)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

RedSnapper posted:

He's hands down, the most decent character i the main cast. Possibly the show.

Nah, that's Abrahamo Lincolni

Jows
May 8, 2002

CainFortea posted:

Hey what about Lennier? I'm midway through S5 on my rewatch (it's been many years) and he's never done anything but be in the service of others.
Aside, why can ghosts see the future? Or just Morden's ghost?

Lame joke spoilered for the newbies.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jows posted:

Hey what about Lennier? I'm midway through S5 on my rewatch (it's been many years) and he's never done anything but be in the service of others.
Aside, why can ghosts see the future? Or just Morden's ghost?

Lame joke spoilered for the newbies.

Lennier always seemed more to be good for the sake of religious reasons rather than out of personal commitment. Like the character is following a "good guy" script.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

CainFortea posted:

Lennier always seemed more to be good for the sake of religious reasons rather than out of personal commitment. Like the character is following a "good guy" script.

Hear. Which episode is it where he lies (or does some other small transgression - I misremember) and then remarks to himself that he might need to say an extra prayer to even out the karma?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RedSnapper posted:

Hear. Which episode is it where he lies (or does some other small transgression - I misremember) and then remarks to himself that he might need to say an extra prayer to even out the karma?

It was because it's allowed to lie provided that it's in service to a higher priority for the Minbari culture. I can't remember exactly but it was something like you can to an outsider as long as it's protecting the clan, or something similar to that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

RedSnapper posted:

Series 3, Convictions. It's where he says he has Netter's Syndrome, and will do penance for the lie later

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Series 3, Convictions. It's where he says he has Netter's Syndrome, and will do penance for the lie later

Yep, that's the one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Lennier is probably the pinnacle of the Minbari ideal. Obviously most Minbari can't be prophets or leaders, but the ones that aren't are all supposed to be loyal, obedient, and deferential to a fault. Lennier has the patience and dedication for all those rituals and is basically willing to sacrifice himself for his duty.

At least that's what it seems like the Minbari ideals are. It could also be that all the Minbari we really get the perspective of are extremely high status, rulers of their society, and just expect that from lower status Minbari.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Lennier is probably the pinnacle of the Minbari ideal. Obviously most Minbari can't be prophets or leaders, but the ones that aren't are all supposed to be loyal, obedient, and deferential to a fault. Lennier has the patience and dedication for all those rituals and is basically willing to sacrifice himself for his duty.

At least that's what it seems like the Minbari ideals are. It could also be that all the Minbari we really get the perspective of are extremely high status, rulers of their society, and just expect that from lower status Minbari.

Well, Minbari Religious Caste anyway. The Warrior Caste clearly value valor and strength more than deference. And we never really find out what the Worker Caste value.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

jng2058 posted:

Well, Minbari Religious Caste anyway. The Warrior Caste clearly value valor and strength more than deference. And we never really find out what the Worker Caste value.

Not dying in a civil war the other two castes started.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not dying in a civil war the other two castes started.

They’re the Silent Majority.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The main warrior caste guy we see on the show is one of those high-ranking leaders. I wouldn't be surprised if he expected from his subordinates the same sort of deference that the religious expected from theirs. The warriors have a lot of platitudes and will occasionally get in a big showy duel, but at peak ferocity they're a bunch of stuffed shirts trundling around bridges of big ostentatious ships that haven't faced a challenge for a thousand years.

Of course, the warrior caste isn't so obedient during the show, but that's because the caste as a whole is starting to rebel against the leadership of the religious caste. And they don't take from that the idea that the Minbari should be more egalitarian in their power sharing, they mostly would rather just reverse the power dynamic but keep it intact.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

SlothfulCobra posted:

they mostly would rather just reverse the power dynamic but keep it intact.

The wheel turns, does it not?

edit: Unrelated, I have noticed one of the greatest subtle details in this show.

Vir: "... and wave, like this." :byewhore:
Morden: :flip:

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 2, 2019

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Vavrek posted:

The wheel turns, does it not?

edit: Unrelated, I have noticed one of the greatest subtle details in this show.

Vir: "... and wave, like this." :byewhore:
Morden: :flip:

holy poo poo I never noticed that!! :laffo:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder how data would be stored on those crystals.

Or why none of them seem to have labels.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Data crystals are just sci-fi flash drives.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

The one Londo delivered regarding Lord Reefa was... IN BLOOD

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Got through S04E17 last night. Going to try to get to the notable E19 tonight. Fascinated to find out why that's treated as the series finale with 4 episodes left. Likely won't get that answer unless I get to E20 tonight.

The Garibaldi stuff is still pretty irritating to me as I don't see the events that he's seeing that has him so anti-Sheridan. At least we get SOME plot rationale as to why it's not a good idea for Sheridan to conduct his offensive against Earth and Michael will do his part to stop him, but the rationale laid out leading up to this just didn't work for me. Time will tell if JMS ties that up and I declare his brilliance once again, but right now I'm really looking forward to their beef to wrap up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

:getin:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TraderStav posted:

Got through S04E17 last night. Going to try to get to the notable E19 tonight. Fascinated to find out why that's treated as the series finale with 4 episodes left.

It's not. Before season 5 got cancelled, episode 19 was the planned season finale for season 4. Then things got shuffled around with stuff in 4 compressed and moved forward from 5 to make a satisfying ending. Then season 5 was uncancelled at the last minute so it was a scramble to figure out some new content for the first part of season 5.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

TraderStav posted:

The Garibaldi stuff is still pretty irritating to me as I don't see the events that he's seeing that has him so anti-Sheridan. At least we get SOME plot rationale as to why it's not a good idea for Sheridan to conduct his offensive against Earth and Michael will do his part to stop him, but the rationale laid out leading up to this just didn't work for me. Time will tell if JMS ties that up and I declare his brilliance once again, but right now I'm really looking forward to their beef to wrap up.

At the very least, know that the other characters are just as confused and concerned as you are. (Minus the "maybe God has lost his touch" aspect.)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not. Before season 5 got cancelled, episode 19 was the planned season finale for season 4. Then things got shuffled around with stuff in 4 compressed and moved forward from 5 to make a satisfying ending. Then season 5 was uncancelled at the last minute so it was a scramble to figure out some new content for the first part of season 5.

Ah, so season four was intended to be 19 episodes long? Or they compressed the stuff before it and those episodes were to expand to fill until 24 episodes?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TraderStav posted:

Ah, so season four was intended to be 19 episodes long? Or they compressed the stuff before it and those episodes were to expand to fill until 24 episodes?

Compressed. Intersections in Real Time was to be episode 22 originally. The episodes after it would've been the beginning of season 5.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Compressed. Intersections in Real Time was to be episode 22 originally. The episodes after it would've been the beginning of season 5.

Ah, I got it now. I can imagine that the Minbar stuff would've been handled better had they had more time. It felt like it was a bit too clean, tight, and fast of an issue to wrap up. That being said, it was still a good storyline and well told, just swift.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like if B5 were done today, Garibaldi would've gotten into one of those big long twitter rants against aliens and every time somebody gave him the chance to apologize he would inexplicably double down.

Like it all feels so much more believable now after 2016 that somebody you thought you knew pretty well would just have some kind of bizarre smoldering resentment just under the surface that just pokes out one day and doesn't go back in.
The story's not a fun one, but not totally impossible.

Also upon further reflection, Garibaldi's whole tough on crime angle has some uncomfortable connections.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like if B5 were done today, Garibaldi would've gotten into one of those big long twitter rants against aliens and every time somebody gave him the chance to apologize he would inexplicably double down.

Like it all feels so much more believable now after 2016 that somebody you thought you knew pretty well would just have some kind of bizarre smoldering resentment just under the surface that just pokes out one day and doesn't go back in.
The story's not a fun one, but not totally impossible.

Also upon further reflection, Garibaldi's whole tough on crime angle has some uncomfortable connections.

Uh... don't read up on Jerry Doyle :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TraderStav posted:

Got through S04E17 last night. Going to try to get to the notable E19 tonight. Fascinated to find out why that's treated as the series finale with 4 episodes left. Likely won't get that answer unless I get to E20 tonight.

Keep watching.