Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Finally beat FFVIII's Ultima Weapon. 13-year-old me would be so proud.

I was actually surprised by how easy he was. The Ruby Dragons on the way to him gave me more trouble than Ultima Weapon himself (until I figured out the trick were you keep a party member dead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

Finally beat FFVIII's Ultima Weapon. 13-year-old me would be so proud.

I was actually surprised by how easy he was. The Ruby Dragons on the way to him gave me more trouble than Ultima Weapon himself (until I figured out the trick were you keep a party member dead).

is that the one in the deep sea research center. christ, it's been so long, I forget. I hope you drew Eden

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Omega is in the deep sea I think, ultima is in the castle. I found that fight took a couple tries easily the hardest in the game but not too bad overall

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Omega is in the deep sea I think, ultima is in the castle. I found that fight took a couple tries easily the hardest in the game but not too bad overall

got em switched, ultima's in the deep sea and omega's in the castle

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Time for a letter to the editor then 😡

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Time for a letter to the editor then 😡

it's cause omega is always the last one, for some reason. it's like how loving alpha always gets to go first.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

is that the one in the deep sea research center. christ, it's been so long, I forget. I hope you drew Eden

Yup, drew Eden, and yeah Ultima is the one in the deep sea research center. I probably could have drawn more ultimas during the fight, but I'm not really concerned with having absolutely perfect junctions, and it was fun seeing my Squall go ham with Renzokuken after casting meltdown.

The deep sea research center was my last side quest (other than Queen of Cards, which I am ignoring), so after I finish off everyone's ultimate weapons I'm off to the point of no return / disk 4. That's where I got stuck as a kid, so it'll be fun finally seeing the end of this game after all these years.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Story for the thread: as a kid, I thought FFVIII was super hard, and especially starting around the journey to Esthar everything took me several attempts. Once I got to the deep sea research center I wanted Bahamut, but couldn't beat it myself, so I asked my friends' older brother to come over and beat it for me. He opened up the save file, went to go set up the characters, took one look and asked me "where are all your junctions?"

I had thought the junction system was confusing so I had pretty much ignored it after the tutorial, and in retrospect that probably explains the game's difficulty.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

if you really want to fill up on ultima ever you can just grind for a bit on the island closest to heaven and the island closest to hell (the little ones in the corners)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

VikingofRock posted:

Story for the thread: as a kid, I thought FFVIII was super hard, and especially starting around the journey to Esthar everything took me several attempts. Once I got to the deep sea research center I wanted Bahamut, but couldn't beat it myself, so I asked my friends' older brother to come over and beat it for me. He opened up the save file, went to go set up the characters, took one look and asked me "where are all your junctions?"

I had thought the junction system was confusing so I had pretty much ignored it after the tutorial, and in retrospect that probably explains the game's difficulty.

I'm pretty sure my very first run of VIII I also junctioned basically nothing and just got by by leveling everyone to 99

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

esperterra posted:

I'm pretty sure my very first run of VIII I also junctioned basically nothing and just got by by leveling everyone to 99

8's one of the few where you can actually get to level 100

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i missed sire on my first play and was so mad but then my second run i did the cottage trick to have like 9999ho for the whole game while breaking the junction system which ruled

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1329132169894252545?s=19

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

lmao. it's about time to get started on the X/X-2 rereleases so i'll be juggling seven different FF games.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

who am i kidding. i love that. drat it feels good to be a gamer.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Taz ftw.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yuna Respect ftw

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lmfao

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Legit better than the time Two and a Half Men had a bit about FFX-2 and they replaced the music with music from like FF 2 instead.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Legit better than the time Two and a Half Men had a bit about FFX-2 and they replaced the music with music from like FF 2 instead.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Eighties ZomCom posted:

dude really? holy poo poo they hosed up

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

didn't even include a tidus laughing gif, wtf

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Martman posted:

didn't even include a tidus laughing gif, wtf

thats the most sincere laugh possible

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

people need to btfo the purpose of the laugh is that it's a forced attempt at levity in doomed circumstances. brainlets mock it when it's high art

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

people need to btfo the purpose of the laugh is that it's a forced attempt at levity in doomed circumstances. brainlets mock it when it's high art

this.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Galuf...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

do they ever say where galuf's children are? he's krile's grandpa, but who are her parents??

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

do they ever say where galuf's children are? he's krile's grandpa, but who are her parents??

yeah they tried to save the last wind drake and died doing it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

yeah they tried to save the last wind drake and died doing it

oh yeah, drat

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
galuf heroically died to restore the gender balance of the party after properly accounting for faris being a transman

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

galuf heroically died to restore the gender balance of the party after properly accounting for faris being a transman

:blastu:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

*casts NUKE, meteo, holy, ultima, and every other endgame spell on you*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

let's take this to CSPAM, and posit some theories for the Joe's.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

EmmyOk posted:

truth

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

thank you for the backstory for lall the iconic and memorable ff5 characters

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

any time lyyle

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

butz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
in my headcannon galuf is from a family of uncontrollable berserkers so he and his granddaughter share an unquenchable thirst for battle