Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I love how the new cars look. I think the late '90s-2006 champ cars were just about perfect looking, but I liked the DW12 a lot and I'm excited for this version. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That car looks awesome, I will miss the DW12 tbh. It provided great racing, even if it was ugly.

The current DW12 with it's rear boxes removed was actually not that ugly. If anything, I will miss the aero competition.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Human Grand Prix posted:

If anything, I will miss the aero competition.

I won't, all the aero competition did was drive up costs while lowering the quality of the racing. Only positive from it was that overall speeds increased

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aero kits was one of those "good on paper, bad in execution" sort of things.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Human Grand Prix posted:

The current DW12 with it's rear boxes removed was actually not that ugly. If anything, I will miss the aero competition.

Aero competition was nice for the few years we had it, but the concept was just too expensive with the current state of the series and was destined to converge to nearly-spec anyway. Just killing two birds with one stone by going back to universal bodywork.

I have to say, Indycar adopting the universal safety cell with bolt-on aero is probably one of the best innovations the series has had since the SAFER barrier. The series can be more nimble with aero rules without costing the teams a crap-ton of money. Tubs can be used longer and are more cost effective as a result. The new teams on the verge of coming into the series (Juncos, Shank, Harding) can better-afford to do so. The idea has even trickled down to USF2000 and Pro Mazda with them using the same car but different aero. Of all the things, giving a chance for small teams at the bottom of the ladder to move up with most of the same equipment sets up great things for the long term.

And now we get sexy, faster looking cars in the Indycar series. We lost something in aero competition, but gained a lot more.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked the idea of aero competition but the net result was that half the field was out of contention during certain years because the Honda aero package sucked.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I liked the idea of aero competition but the net result was that half the field was out of contention during certain years because the Honda aero package sucked.

Also they did this "open development thing but not really" where you couldn't change major pieces without invoking a competition clause. I never agreed with that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe there isn't a way to balance open development and costs. Oh well.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Aero kits was one of those "good on paper, bad in execution" sort of things.

I remember back when they announced the concept they suggested companies like Boeing could get involved with building aero kits. That would've been spectacular.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It would have been. Instead we got Nick Wirth.

Successful Nick Wirth open wheel designs;

[SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK]

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I feel like it could come back someday, but I feel like it would be the heavy handed BoP variation that IMSA came up with for their aerokits . Culturally, IndyCar wouldn't do well with heavy BoP like that right now (teams/builders/fans would flip their poo poo basically), but maybe in the future.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Lola/Reynards/Swifts (sorta) achieved relative parity by 2000. It can happen.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Cost savings measures will close up the field but in the end the power teams will still win since they're just pouring that money into shocks and payroll. The lack of money coming into top-tier motorsports compared to late 90s/early 2000s basically necessitates it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

It would have been. Instead we got Nick Wirth.

Successful Nick Wirth open wheel designs;

[SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK]

I actually had to google that Manor car he hosed up just to prove to myself it was a real thing.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Human Grand Prix posted:

Maybe there isn't a way to balance open development and costs. Oh well.

I think these two things are diametrically opposed. If you open the aero up all the way, costs will skyrocket and you'll have the haves and the have-nots. If you try to control costs by limiting aero development, you'll likely end up with aero convergence within a few years that's near enough to spec aero that everyone is spending a lot of money on anyway.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm being a little factitious some of his Benettons were decent and the '95 Simtek was too.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I just want that close fun racing we got from the dw12 pre aerokits.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
As always the solution is less wing aero, more mechanical/tray grip and more power.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

As always the solution is less wing aero, more mechanical/tray grip and more power.

yep, precisely this. and I'm glad they're going in this direction. I think with the safety improvements to so many other things -- to the car's safety cell, to driver restraints (HANS), to oval and road course safety, and with the safety crew -- they can push the limit a bit more after all that downforce in the late '80s and early '90s scared everyone off.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I doubt anyone is surprised that Dallara got the production rights to the IR18. Can't wait for the oval test next month.

Also, I think I'd love to get one of these, and put it next to a the 1:18 diecast of his DW12: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/liven-up-your-home-or-office-with-this-places-alonso-w-1795851413

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

yep, precisely this. and I'm glad they're going in this direction. I think with the safety improvements to so many other things -- to the car's safety cell, to driver restraints (HANS), to oval and road course safety, and with the safety crew -- they can push the limit a bit more after all that downforce in the late '80s and early '90s scared everyone off.

Yeah, having a safety crew that travels with the series, understands how the cars are made, etc I think is a huge boost. Hell, the other day I found out that Indy helmets have a small airbag in them to help get them off in case of a potential neck injury. That's really cool.

Bentai posted:

I doubt anyone is surprised that Dallara got the production rights to the IR18. Can't wait for the oval test next month.

Also, I think I'd love to get one of these, and put it next to a the 1:18 diecast of his DW12: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/liven-up-your-home-or-office-with-this-places-alonso-w-1795851413

It's still the DW12. Just the 2018 aerokit bolted onto the DW12 chassis. But yeah, Dallara does awesome work and deserve all the respect they get.

iospace fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 6, 2017

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

https://twitter.com/AdrianF007/status/871795736647696384

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

uunnngh I'm almost there, gimme an AAR Eagle version :jackbud:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fernandez was the rare combination of having substantial backing and also being really drat good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Fernandez was the rare combination of having substantial backing and also being really drat good.

Definitely, especially once he got on better teams. It took a couple years to adapt IIRC but once he got good cars, he was a real threat.

And just makes the new 2018 aero look even better.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

This is a really dumb question but does indycar broadcast races via radio? I am a cheapskate and have tickets to TMS this weekend, but did not rent headsets. Wondering if I should bring some ear buds to wear under my ear muffs/protection to listen to the commentators. Can I listen to my phone or tunein?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

SPACE HOMOS posted:

This is a really dumb question but does indycar broadcast races via radio? I am a cheapskate and have tickets to TMS this weekend, but did not rent headsets. Wondering if I should bring some ear buds to wear under my ear muffs/protection to listen to the commentators. Can I listen to my phone or tunein?

The IndyCar app does!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can get Indycar Radio on TuneIn, or at least you could in 2015 when I last used it to listen to the 500.

thisLambo
Aug 28, 2016

I know the Indy 500 was broadcast on XM/Sirius Radio, don't know if it's a constant thing.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Apparently so.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Looks like for TMS, 95.9 FM in Fort Worth will broadcast the radio coverage, if you don't want to use up your data streaming the audio.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My semi-realistic dream is McLaren, Panoz, and Swift join the sport to provide chassis (with windscreens or canopies) so we get some fun competition as a result.

That's not a slight on Dallara. I'm glad we have them, they've invested in the sport, and I hope we have them for a long time. But drat do I miss the days when we had multiple types of cars looking to make the field.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

gret posted:

Looks like for TMS, 95.9 FM in Fort Worth will broadcast the radio coverage, if you don't want to use up your data streaming the audio.

I'd go with this. I tried to watch baseball at the park using streaming audio and there was a good five seconds of lag.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

FuzzySkinner posted:

My semi-realistic dream is McLaren, Panoz, and Swift join the sport to provide chassis (with windscreens or canopies) so we get some fun competition as a result.

That's not a slight on Dallara. I'm glad we have them, they've invested in the sport, and I hope we have them for a long time. But drat do I miss the days when we had multiple types of cars looking to make the field.

this is partly the reason why I think the engines should be based on production units, ideally stuff that is used in other forms of motor sports

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Thanks for the info, I am going to try and bring some cheap options like a small FM radio. If it all fails I am going to walk around looking for the best spots to take photos without a press pass.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You probably could get a set of earmuffs with an FM radio. I have a pair from Stanley that's rated for 25 db that I got for mowing the lawn that has FM, AM, and aux on it.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I did look at those, but I have some howard leight hearing protection I use for shooting ranges that earbuds fit in, so I figured a small FM radio might work? It looks like for ovals a lot of people bring scanners.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I did look at those, but I have some howard leight hearing protection I use for shooting ranges that earbuds fit in, so I figured a small FM radio might work? It looks like for ovals a lot of people bring scanners.

If you have earpro that you use at a shooting range that has a 3.5mm jack on it, then by all means, use that (seriously, use ear protection).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Indycars aren't really that loud by racecar standards, the fm headset by itself would prolly be ok really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wear ear protection.

• Locked thread