Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

eggy egi glamours when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the egis all have much cooler designs than the demis. this i know.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

CYBEReris posted:

eggy egi glamours when

They should definitely let you turn them into Allagan summoning nodes after the L70 job quest boss battle.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

L'egi my Egi

I want you to know this was very funny and made me lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Countblanc posted:

the egis all have much cooler designs than the demis. this i know.

Yeah, this is something that really confuses me about people begging for a death to egis and instead entirely demi-focused SMN set.

Like... you people have seen the Ifrit-Egi, right? That thing is all angles and has some rad animations, especially compared to Ifrit himself who's just a primal of future back problems.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is something that really confuses me about people begging for a death to egis and instead entirely demi-focused SMN set.

Like... you people have seen the Ifrit-Egi, right? That thing is all angles and has some rad animations, especially compared to Ifrit himself who's just a primal of future back problems.

It looks like a drat gummy bear.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I have a feeling they're just gonna say gently caress it and rip pets out of the game entirely. Like, you'll still have a little Carbuncle or whatever following you around but everything will effectively originate instantly from your character instead of at a slight delay from the pet activating things. The only problem I see with this is passive fairy healing, but they might just add some ability to SCH where you just pick a party member and they permanently get a HoT equivalent to the fairy heal or something and you can switch the target on a short cooldown.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

personally I'd like to see pets revamped, but I lost any hope they'd do that when they added even more stuff reliant on pet mechanics like living shadow, bunshin, and... earthly star?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sherry Bahm posted:

I know all this. Aside from the point that I was speaking purely on the aesthetics of the class being unexciting to me, which is, yanno, my prerogative. A giant Bahamut or a tiny Bahamut doesn't sound any more thrilling to me than the other. And visual options being limited to wispy primals or Carbuncles just doesn't excite me.
no i think they just meant you can stop the bahamut from blocking your view

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vitamean posted:

personally I'd like to see pets revamped, but I lost any hope they'd do that when they added even more stuff reliant on pet mechanics like living shadow, bunshin, and... earthly star?

I knew Earthly Star was a pet, but Bunshin?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Chillgamesh posted:

I knew Earthly Star was a pet, but Bunshin?

And automaton queen.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Even if the only change they did to pets was "doesn't have to move into position to attack," I'd be happy. Why can't Queen just shoot the boss from a distance? Why does Bahamut have to slowly rotate to face the boss?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Chillgamesh posted:

I have a feeling they're just gonna say gently caress it and rip pets out of the game entirely. Like, you'll still have a little Carbuncle or whatever following you around but everything will effectively originate instantly from your character instead of at a slight delay from the pet activating things. The only problem I see with this is passive fairy healing, but they might just add some ability to SCH where you just pick a party member and they permanently get a HoT equivalent to the fairy heal or something and you can switch the target on a short cooldown.

Weirdly, I feel like Scholar's use of its pet - at least the non-placement stuff - works fine? Like, having to manually move it is annoying, but just deploying her as a heal-over-time is perfectly viable? Living Shadow and Automaton Queen aren't really "pets," they're fancy DoTs.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's boring though. Pet classes should be more involved with their pet rather than just setting a turret. I'd throw a pet/scholar/summoner rework on my wishlist.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Turn egis into Stands and have them modify your basic abilities like ruin, etc.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's boring though. Pet classes should be more involved with their pet rather than just setting a turret. I'd throw a pet/scholar/summoner rework on my wishlist.
You can't really make a pet class more involved without making them suffer immensely due to boss mechanics. Even if you make them invincible to damage, there's still the issue of dealing with pets auto attacking, command queueing etc. And the end result is that they're really just proxy visual effects for your skills.

The only MMO that really got pet classes right was City of Heroes and even then Masterminds suffered from all kinds of micromanagement and nonsense due to dealing with AI, positioning etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

In the following duty, you will play as Koichi Hirose.

Debuff: No dignity (uncleansable)

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Jetrauben posted:

Living Shadow and Automaton Queen aren't really "pets," they're fancy DoTs.

Effectively, yes, they're fancy dots. But as far as how they're implemented, they use pet code. Does this matter? Not usually. It does specifically mean they're not effected by DRG's tether, though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

That sounds neat on paper, but it'd quickly be discovered that one of the Egis is 0.09% more efficient/better for dps and the others would be ignored as a result.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

the_steve posted:

That sounds neat on paper, but it'd quickly be discovered that one of the Egis is 0.09% more efficient/better for dps and the others would be ignored as a result.

Make them phases you move through?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jetrauben posted:

Make them phases you move through?

A Stand is a reflection of the user's soul :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HOLY poo poo THE VOCALS

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OH MY GOD YOSHIP

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

VRTRA

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zenos's loving scythe lol

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTTtd6bnhFs

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sharlay lookin real pretty

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I can't wait to wedgie the twins' dad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m going to be Minister of Swirlies when I go to Sharlay, starting with the dad

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
We've known the twins' dad's name from lore for a long time, Forchelnaut Leveilleur.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

:allears:

The twins' dad(?) looks like an rear end in a top hat.

Now we just need to know what Azdaja is up to and all of Middy's kids will be accounted for.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The twins' dad(?) looks like an rear end in a top hat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aha, my hunch was right.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hogama posted:

We've known the twins' dad's name from lore for a long time, Forchelnaut Leveilleur.
Ah, Lord Fucklenut

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kingdom Hearts III teased Reapers a few years in advance.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

YoshiP is there going to be a new race of male flowers named Flower Buds?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Kingdom Hearts III teased Reapers a few years in advance.

I don't like Kingdom Hearts, but if they gave us the scythe job and then immediately used the teaser to show 'actually it's all flowers and nature' I'd have loved it.

Actually fits the real role of a scythe better, too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlightedCutePeppermintCoolCat-3ipaWtOuEGFGiTCI

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
So for a while, there's been the popular correlation of the Sound to Jenova or Lavos.
And now we got the so-far unnamed floating island concept looking pretty drat Kingdom of Zeal... (which is probably the bit from the world map near Garlemald to be honest)

...in an expansion with a scythe job? My god...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I don't like Kingdom Hearts, but if they gave us the scythe job and then immediately used the teaser to show 'actually it's all flowers and nature' I'd have loved it.

Actually fits the real role of a scythe better, too.

Some people were joking that Botanist should have been a required thing to level up to unlock this. :v:

But yeah, the Nobodies, Dusks and Creepers aside, are typically named after Final Fantasy jobs: Sorcerer, Sniper, Dragoon, Berserker, Assassin, Dancer, Gambler, Ninja, and Samurai. So the addition of Reaper was pretty neat. And given Nomura was working on XIV, I wonder if they previewed that in KH3 early.

Hogama posted:

So for a while, there's been the popular correlation of the Sound to Jenova or Lavos.
And now we got the so-far unnamed floating island concept looking pretty drat Kingdom of Zeal... (which is probably the bit from the world map near Garlemald to be honest)

...in an expansion with a scythe job? My god...

Yeah, that seemed really Chrono Trigger-like to me, too!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 15, 2021