Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

where the absolute gently caress is the switch patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:smith:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gift Card is fun when you have the room for it.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

smoobles posted:

it has a 1 in 4 chance of being released today!

got changed to a 1 in 6 in the patch

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Turns out it's easy to ride Flush from start to finish, you just have to commit

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

MJeff posted:

Gift Card is fun when you have the room for it.

I had a run where I got a negative gift card early, then swashbuckler later on and had 100+ mult just on that,

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
From this game is unbeatable, to reading the thread's first page, to challenges unlocked.

Heck, reading the thread is even starting to make sense!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Jokerless and also all challenges complete.

Got an early Sigil which made queens, from there used Strength and Death to copy as many as possible, then saved some glass Queens for the boss. Played 4/5oak ending on a level 15 5oak for 610x54 and level 12 oak for 390x40. I had gotten deep with straight builds but lost at Ante 7 a couple times due to bad draws. Ended up with 18 queens even after a couple glass breaks.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I kinda want a joker that gives you the serpent effect all the time, it's nice to get mondo huge hands

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
just had the most wild :piss: run.

got pareidolia, midas mask, and then stumbled onto vampire.

proceeded to rack up the x mult like crazy, and had hanging chad and dusk. Got antimatter somewhere for a extra joker slot.

Then got a brainstorm along with a blue print.

Managed to beat purple stake on blue deck with that.

Seed was 594BQSTM if someone wants a go at it, but I cannot recall the route I took to get said cards. Run died in endless because I had blueprint triggering brainstorm, which was triggering hanging chad instead of putting blueprint next to vampire and racking up said x mult like mad. I was not thinking well.

the line up of jokers going into ante 8

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

TaurusTorus posted:

I kinda want a joker that gives you the serpent effect all the time, it's nice to get mondo huge hands

Many Happy Returns
Rare ($8)
Draw a additional card after each discard.
Artwork: a birthday card with a joker design

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm gonna make a bit of a bold suggestion.

Either
1) Ancient Joker shouldn't switch to suits that don't exist in my deck.
2) Don't loving offer Ancient Joker on Checkered Deck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

get Smeared Joker bish :hehe:

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

HycoCam posted:

Heck, reading the thread is even starting to make sense!

The real draw of the game is seeing your friends install it and knowing you can look forward to an hour's worth of increasingly indecipherable and deranged conversation

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Finally managed a gold stake win! It took getting yorick pretty early then a blueprint to sit next to it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's hard to pick a "worst joker", because everything is situational. There are a handful of jokers that are solid candidates for it, because I am never happy to see them. Most of them have to do with Straights, because those are difficult to build a good strategy around.

Seance gets a pass because although it's a really rare trigger (Straight Flush), Spectral cards can be very powerful.
Runner is hard to get pumped up to useful levels.
Superposition? Create a tarot card if the hand contains an straight and an ace? I am never happy to see that one.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Worst joker is red card for sure. It needs at least double the scaling.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Superposition stinks, it's only worth picking up if it's free and you have room.

Worst rare card is Seance, it's such a let down when that's the free rare you get.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

losing my mind trying to unlock the 100,000,000 joker, closest i've come is 75mil

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I feel like the game needs some fundamental changes tbh.

It's poo poo that you can see the same crappy joker that doesn't fit your build 3, 4 times in shops/packs over the course of your game. In most other deckbuilders stuff like jokers (in StS it would be artifacts) only shows up once. You get one chance to take it, then it's gone.

I think Balatro needs to either:

Make it so that once you've sold a card, it either doesn't show up again or has a greatly reduced chance of showing up again.

OR

Give a "banish" option where instead of selling a card, you can ditch it, get no money for it, and it doesn't come up again.

Or something like that.

I feel like too much of the game is just about rerolling until you get good joker luck. With Slay the Spire, good players can do A20 Heart runs (the hardest run in the game) and get like, 7/10 runs to a win, because there's usually *something* you can build on if you know what you're doing. With Balatro, there's too much of the bad kind of luck that's not fun to interact with.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

losing my mind trying to unlock the 100,000,000 joker, closest i've come is 75mil

Same.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jay Rust posted:

Just keep playing and it will come. I didn't hit it for a long time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do you guys, once the run is going smoothly, ride around between rounds with $25 for the interest, or do you always spend down to $0?

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Except on the green deck yeah.
$25 is free money and you can spend a bunch whenever you hit a hermit. Seeing hermit when youve only got 3 bucks left sucks

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Jay Rust posted:

Do you guys, once the run is going smoothly, ride around between rounds with $25 for the interest, or do you always spend down to $0?

If your run is going smoothly and you can afford to sit on $25, you will probably win. Getting there is the hard part.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The game still hasn't given me the drat second interest voucher

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

worst joker is obelisk

second worst joker is flowerpot

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

worst joker is the nintendo qa team

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Popete posted:

Superposition stinks, it's only worth picking up if it's free and you have room.

Worst rare card is Seance, it's such a let down when that's the free rare you get.

I pretty frequently build around superposition as an early way to start getting free tarots, not hard to get one per round. Combine with Fibonacci, solid early game build. Seance I may not have ever successfully triggered.

Worst for me is that Idol dude. Even taking into account that it chooses from among the cards in your deck, if I've got a build going that is flattening the deck to the point that it becomes a likely trigger that means I've probably locked in all my jokers slots and still want nothing to do with him.

Edit: Or Flowerpot.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Obelisk stinks because although it can be a decently powerful joker it's just not fun to manage.

I was happy to clear the Monolith challenge.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I have a checkered deck run going. I have a Banner, Green Joker, Supernova and Campfire (I also have a Matador but that's not relevant). I have Grabber and Paint Brush, so 5 hands and they're +1 size, so I can technically play a Flush every single hand if I want.

Should I be playing Flushes or High Cards? Orrrr, High Card until I'm down to one hand, then Flush?

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Ancient Joker is the wild cards guy. He will betray you if you don't have them

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

My first ever run won off straights (I had a friend coaching me through the mechanics), and after 10+ hours playing straights as a default strategy it was a small shock going online and finding out that straights are The Worst, Actually. After all, straights are the weakest 5-card hand in poker, so drawing into one should be relatively easy, right? And being able to ignore almost every single boss effect was pretty nice, too.

Superposition felt nice in play, and I've gotten lots of mileage from it, but in practice I guess it's just worse than getting one tarot for free every round.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Chadzok posted:

I pretty frequently build around superposition as an early way to start getting free tarots, not hard to get one per round. Combine with Fibonacci, solid early game build. Seance I may not have ever successfully triggered.

Worst for me is that Idol dude. Even taking into account that it chooses from among the cards in your deck, if I've got a build going that is flattening the deck to the point that it becomes a likely trigger that means I've probably locked in all my jokers slots and still want nothing to do with him.

Edit: Or Flowerpot.

Seance works great on Checkered Deck, otherwise I don't bother.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

MJeff posted:

So I have a checkered deck run going. I have a Banner, Green Joker, Supernova and Campfire (I also have a Matador but that's not relevant). I have Grabber and Paint Brush, so 5 hands and they're +1 size, so I can technically play a Flush every single hand if I want.

Should I be playing Flushes or High Cards? Orrrr, High Card until I'm down to one hand, then Flush?

The latter would mostly benefit you in terms of getting Green Joker and Supernova up (albeit for High Card), at the cost of losing the extra hand bonus

I would ask how much cash you have and how easily you're clearing blinds - if you're above $20 and your Flush can otherwise clear the blind in one hand go for it, otherwise the math seems a bit dicier

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Obelisk is great, gently caress the haters

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the worst joker is Wee Joker because when I see it I immediately buy it and pivot my entire build, usually to my demise

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i've played so much, got 4 decks cleared at gold stake, my best hand is in the e13's, and i still haven't had this silly voucher show up :mad:

Popete posted:

Obelisk stinks because although it can be a decently powerful joker it's just not fun to manage.

I was happy to clear the Monolith challenge.

also couldn't agree more with this. i think some people enjoy a set up you have to manage, but i prefer to try to set things up so it's super easy to play one hand that i'll always draw.

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 15, 2024

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

WhatEvil posted:

I feel like the game needs some fundamental changes tbh.

It's poo poo that you can see the same crappy joker that doesn't fit your build 3, 4 times in shops/packs over the course of your game. In most other deckbuilders stuff like jokers (in StS it would be artifacts) only shows up once. You get one chance to take it, then it's gone.

I think Balatro needs to either:

Make it so that once you've sold a card, it either doesn't show up again or has a greatly reduced chance of showing up again.

OR

Give a "banish" option where instead of selling a card, you can ditch it, get no money for it, and it doesn't come up again.

Or something like that.

I feel like too much of the game is just about rerolling until you get good joker luck. With Slay the Spire, good players can do A20 Heart runs (the hardest run in the game) and get like, 7/10 runs to a win, because there's usually *something* you can build on if you know what you're doing. With Balatro, there's too much of the bad kind of luck that's not fun to interact with.

I feel like these changes would just introduce more of the bad kind of luck, Balatro builds tend to be self-multiplicative so there's actual value in with "10x if you have (arcane poo poo)", skipping it in ante 2 when you do not have the arcane poo poo, but then taking it in ante 6 when you do. It's not a game where you can go "I have my waveclear card, give me no more waveclear weapons."

That said, that isn't all jokers and some really are just useless if you're not building for them from the beginning. Optional banish of Green Joker or Ride the Bus would be perfectly fine, the problem's that say Baron is a dog before you hammer tarots and a god after and it would also feel super-terrible to skip it (because not even affortable) in ante 1 large stake and never get it after you've gotten ten Deaths in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can somewhat manipulate the jokers by purchasing the voucher that gives you more more effects on jokers in the store. Getting a common polychrome joker later in a run can be a boon even if you'd not take the standard version earlier.