Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oasx posted:

Mr./Mrs./Ms. has pretty much disappeared from common usage here in Denmark, people who use it are either old-fashioned or very formal.

Yo, I just came back from a trip to Denmark. My main takeaway is that herring is vile and so are snaps/aquavit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Media has traditionally used kids referring to grown ups by their first names as shorthand for disrespect or dismissive attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzCeO3HzEkE

It's used a LOT to show strained relationships between kids and foster/step parents.

Yeah it's trope-y shorthand for storytelling where the first time you see a kid interact with an adult, they call them by their first name - then later you see that's their parent. I see it more with the divorced non-custodial parent than foster/step parents. By the end of the movie/show them calling them mom or dad is a sign their relationship's healed.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mu Zeta posted:

Yo, I just came back from a trip to Denmark. My main takeaway is that herring is vile and so are snaps/aquavit.

Pickled herring is the best, it gives you strong muscles and puts hair on your chest!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Got Godzilla x Kong on and seeing that loving guy from Eastenders/Syril from Andor's idiot corpo mate show up in a goddamn Hollywood kaiju flick is melting my brain a bit. Plus this little Ginger Kong poo poo is just the icing on the cake, it all feels like some kind of fever nightmare.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Still working my way through The Sympathizer, a week behind. I'm surprised -- and very pleased tbh, it's a good surprise -- by how much of their own identity each of the big name directors were allowed to inject into their episodes. Usually with this kind of thing everything has to maintain a more or less even tone, and so even when you hire someone with a distinct sense of style they're not allowed to dramatically alter the visual language of the production.

Fernando Meirelles -- who's got a very distinct style -- takes over the show from Chan Wook Park and you can immediately loving tell because the editing goes bananas and they start integrated multiple alternative takes into scenes, massively up the improvisation, etc. It's great and absolutely the kind of thing that should happen when you drag a weirdo in to do a special episode.

I think it's a shame they're ending on Marc Munden though, as he's far less interesting than the other two.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And can I add some of Parks stuff had really creative camera moves that I presume had to be drone (when they are on the top of the building and the camera tracks over the edge).

I've been watching Animal Patrol and can't stop laughing at the whole "That Swan stolen my discman" "I don't know what that is but I think you need to say Disc Person now" gag for weeks now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is anyone watching that Apple TV show Dark Matter? Is it worth getting in to?I've heard almost no chatter about it since the release, which could be telling.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s gotten some discussion in the ATV+ thread. I’m gonna give it time to complete before jumping in, given the similar themes to Constellation.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903088&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think they probably should have done a three episode premiere because while episode 2 ends on a big moment the story doesn't really kick off until the end of episode 3.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
there's finally an official West Wing youtube channel uploading clips, looks like it was started 5 days ago.

Is there any show that has aged worse then The West Wing? Even looking back some of the greatest highlights are middling at best and most of the show is only watchable due to Martin Sheen being tremendously good at the role.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"Isaac and Ishmael" is still one of my most hated episodes ever. I hated it the first time I saw it in like 2003 and I can't believe Sorkin wrote an afterschool special and had these actors say those lines.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

pentyne posted:

there's finally an official West Wing youtube channel uploading clips, looks like it was started 5 days ago.

Is there any show that has aged worse then The West Wing? Even looking back some of the greatest highlights are middling at best and most of the show is only watchable due to Martin Sheen being tremendously good at the role.

Any show that's set in the White House for a large part will age horribly:
24 (both the White House parts and the 24 parts)
House of Cards (in way less time)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1791557913472868721

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lmao those backgrounds.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ooof

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think the volume was meant to be used for backgrounds that are directly behind actors.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe that's just how things looked in roman times, a sort of pale mist that just happens to look like a big TV in the distance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ty Olsson and DJ Qualls are getting married creating the most powerful "oh, that guy" couple in movies and TV.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mu Zeta posted:

"Isaac and Ishmael" is still one of my most hated episodes ever. I hated it the first time I saw it in like 2003 and I can't believe Sorkin wrote an afterschool special and had these actors say those lines.

I’m not trying to defend the entire show right now, but that episode is one that even Sorkin says is terrible. poo poo was weird right after 9/11, and that’s a legit bad hour of television, which Sorkin says he regrets.

He thought it was “necessary”, as a one act play, and it was a bad idea.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I doubt Anthony Hopkins ever stepped foot on that set or met any of the other actors.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
classic hollywood rear projection is back and I for one am gleeful

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Watched a few episodes of Bodkin on Netflix, it's pretty good. REALLY strange seeing Will Forte with a bunch of old father ted actors though.
It's a strong 7 - so if you like a little bit of a murder mystery you'll like it but it doesn't do anything special.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

muscles like this! posted:

Ty Olsson and DJ Qualls are getting married creating the most powerful "oh, that guy" couple in movies and TV.

They better have unlimited hot pockets at the reception

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently they met at a Supernatural convention, somewhere, some shipper's head exploded.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Outer Range season 2 is better than the first. Now Josh Brolin wants everyone to check out his sweet, dark hole!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I doubt Anthony Hopkins ever stepped foot on that set or met any of the other actors.

There's an interview, maybe on Colber', with Jodie Foster where she says she is (was?) terrified of Anthony Hopkins, because they would "bolt him into his cell every morning, and we never got to interact outside acting".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rappaport posted:

There's an interview, maybe on Colber', with Jodie Foster where she says she is (was?) terrified of Anthony Hopkins, because they would "bolt him into his cell every morning, and we never got to interact outside acting".

It was Graham Norton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXUsRIcwtSo

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

So it was, thank you! There's so much of this teevee and movie trivia that is in these random interviews, and I hope it doesn't get lost. At least you helped my poor memory.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rappaport posted:

So it was, thank you! There's so much of this teevee and movie trivia that is in these random interviews, and I hope it doesn't get lost. At least you helped my poor memory.

I watch a lot of Graham Norton clips on YouTube. Probably too much.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I watched the first episode of The Big Cigar on Apple+ and was left fairly disappointed. I get that they wanted to contextualize Newton's life before the events of the story they chose to tell, but they chose the worst possible way to do so, with a ton of heavy-handed narration. The rest of the show felt extremely didactic and on-the-nose as well. The performances were good but I wish the writing was better.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like Apple isn't investing as much in writers anymore tbh, or there's been a lot of shoddy choices about how to pace shows.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Arist posted:

I watched the first episode of The Big Cigar on Apple+ and was left fairly disappointed. I get that they wanted to contextualize Newton's life before the events of the story they chose to tell, but they chose the worst possible way to do so, with a ton of heavy-handed narration. The rest of the show felt extremely didactic and on-the-nose as well. The performances were good but I wish the writing was better.

Just like constellation - good performances but the writing and mystery of the show was extremely badly done

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like Apple isn't investing as much in writers anymore tbh, or there's been a lot of shoddy choices about how to pace shows.

Feels like it's every streamer. I guess because they're writing for moments so the cement holding all those moments together doesn't matter (meaning it's shite)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apple shows have definitely fallen off the past year and a half or so. There’s still some likeable ones though at least and hey hopefully Severance s2 won’t suck

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like Apple isn't investing as much in writers anymore tbh

This is an after-effect of the lovely deal the WGA took to resolve their strike last year.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Taear posted:

Just like constellation - good performances but the writing and mystery of the show was extremely badly done

Feels like it's every streamer. I guess because they're writing for moments so the cement holding all those moments together doesn't matter (meaning it's shite)
God, Constellation draaaaaaaaaaaggeeeed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

Comcast has announced that its planned Xfinity StreamSaver bundle – which will include subscriptions to Apple TV+, Netflix and Peacock – will boast a starting price of just $15 a month (and with no annual contract). Notably, only the advertising tier of Netflix is available as part of StreamSaver, not the ad-free tier.

Only the ad tier? Get hosed.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Apple shows have definitely fallen off the past year and a half or so. There’s still some likeable ones though at least and hey hopefully Severance s2 won’t suck

Apple meddles just as much as Netflix or Disney do and it shows. Severance is only safe because (unsubstantiated rumor) Stiller keeps firing the studio flaks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GreenNight posted:

Only the ad tier? Get hosed.

They didn't want to pay for the non ad tier because Netflix decided to buy access to football and wrestling and are raising the prices.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

Apple meddles just as much as Netflix or Disney do and it shows. Severance is only safe because (unsubstantiated rumor) Stiller keeps firing the studio flaks.

Severance is safe as long as it's never released, so we're good for a few more years yet. No I'm not upset it's been so long, what are you talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

Market Research poo poo absolutely destroys so many shows