Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

rscott posted:

Red leather seats are the best seats
(I am not saying this because I have the same seats in my E82)

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

infraboy posted:

I love my E92 and E46 pretty equally, there aren't too many good rear drive - manual transmission cars these days I don't think i'll ever sell these. I briefly had an e90 with idrive, what an awful system that was.

God drat I miss owning an E9x without idrive. I replaced it with the AVIN unit, but still. I wish I just had a clear unimpeded view again, with my phone in the holster when I need it.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Agree. If I got another one, I would definitely go without idrive. The hole where the knob would go looks silly though.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

rscott posted:

Red leather seats are the best seats
(I am not saying this because I have the same seats in my E82)

Yep.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

How do you protect your red leather seats? I've seen a few in various cars where the driver's side outside seat bolster turns purple due to indigo dye from jeans rubbing off on them.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Mr. Apollo posted:

How do you protect your red leather seats? I've seen a few in various cars where the driver's side outside seat bolster turns purple due to indigo dye from jeans rubbing off on them.

I treat mine regularly with a leather cleaner and leather balm. Takes any dirt or transfer right off and stops it from drying out.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I treat mine regularly with a leather cleaner and leather balm. Takes any dirt or transfer right off and stops it from drying out.
I guess the secret is to do it regularly, thanks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Got a specific product suggestion? My (not red) seats seem clean and supple, but I wanna keep them that way. I saw some info on revitalizing leather, but don't need to go to that extreme.

Though my car stays in a closed garage except for a food run every two weeks, so I'm not too worried about sun exposure at the moment.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Agree. If I got another one, I would definitely go without idrive. The hole where the knob would go looks silly though.
I don't think it's silly at all, it's a nice spot to dump all the stuff in your pockets.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just got an email titled "BMW thrills with edgy design, and other stories"
and I was like "Yes, "Stories" is a roughly acceptable euphemism for "Lies"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I don't think it's silly at all, it's a nice spot to dump all the stuff in your pockets.
I'm not a huge fan of unsecured pocket garbage flying around the interior of my car though, I have slow and lovely cars for that

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That gray actually does some work there.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
You know at first I hated the big rear end double grill. Then I got normalized to it and it didn’t bother me as much. Now it looks like an angry catfish chomping a Toblerone license plate again and that’s where my brain has settled.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
It bad. Gray makes it... More tolerable. But still bad. Also not really a fan of that light gray color but tbh it may be the grill rubbing off on it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the gray improves it because it's the most boring and anonymous color.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
How much would you guys reckon a manual e39 528i wagon is worth with 130k and well maintained?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

willroc7 posted:

How much would you guys reckon a manual e39 528i wagon is worth with 130k and well maintained?

Not sure what you'd get in the classifieds, but you can get about half a mil on BaT

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

:itwaspoo:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

10-15k? Too high?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I paid $3900 at a used car dealer for a 528i e39, manual, well maintained back in 2010 it had 120k on the clock, but it was a sedan

Wagons are pretty rare though, 10k might be a reasonable price for the right buyer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you put it on BaT it’s probably well north of 10k. 175k 525 wagon sold for 10,2 earlier this summer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Uthor posted:

Got a specific product suggestion? My (not red) seats seem clean and supple, but I wanna keep them that way. I saw some info on revitalizing leather, but don't need to go to that extreme.

Though my car stays in a closed garage except for a food run every two weeks, so I'm not too worried about sun exposure at the moment.

im a shameless griots fan and use this stuff:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/leather+3in1+16+ounces.do

use it on my wallet and belts every once in a while too

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BraveUlysses posted:

im a shameless griots fan and use this stuff:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/leather+3in1+16+ounces.do

use it on my wallet and belts every once in a while too

Word, thanks. That looks easy enough. I've heard tale of wrapping seats in plastic to let the heat make the product work and, frankly, I'm not going to do that.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Uthor posted:

Word, thanks. That looks easy enough. I've heard tale of wrapping seats in plastic to let the heat make the product work and, frankly, I'm not going to do that.

I believe you are thinking of Leatherique which is a 2 step processes to rejuvenate 'far gone' leather. It isn't a miracle worker, but the heat and trapping in the moisture of the product makes a positive improvement in leather...

For most people it is beyond overkill...

[EDIT]: I use the BMW Leather cleaner that comes with a sponge and a towel. Cleans up oils and dirt from my seats/wheel/etc and smells fancy. I like it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

It's something I'm considering buying as it's local to me. Going to check it out on Thursday if all goes according to plan. Pics:

https://imgur.com/a/ByVfDeY

"Very nice and rare 528i Touring Wagon with a 5 speed manual transmission. This is 1 of only 125 cars produced in 2000. All maintenance up to date, new CONTINENTAL tires 2000 miles ago, new rear brakes and fresh service. Only two owners and parked in the winter by me. The car is very clean and will provide years of driving enjoyment. $9,500.00 or best offer."

"New radiator, radiator hoses, expansion tank, metal impeller water pump, coolant bleeder and BMW coolant 9,000 miles ago."

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

fknlo posted:

what if primer, but glossy

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's the best looking car with that grille that I've seen so far but jesus christ it's still so BAD

Like.. death of bmw-bad. Are they going to sell any? Single digits?

Why would you put this in your garage/driveway when other options exist, such as suicide?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

They'll sell tons lol. BMW isn't making cars for us anymore, they're making them for instagrammers and rich narcissists.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
:barf:

I haven't even seen any of those types speaking fondly of it, but I'm sure there are a few people who just tell their personal shopper "go get me the newest M3" and that's that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I follow bmw on instagram and they posted a picture of the new grille. The comments were all 🤮🤮🤮🤮

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hating on the new generation of BMW vehicles, only to call them the "last true BMW" ten years later is a time-honored tradition. Time is a circle.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
time is a flat circle, everything we've ever done or will do, we're gonna do over and over and over again

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Time is a roundel.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

angryrobots posted:

Time is a roundel.
aaand here's the thread title

Cojawfee posted:

I follow bmw on instagram and they posted a picture of the new grille. The comments were all 🤮🤮🤮🤮
the type of people who follow BMW are gonna be more of us "enthusiasts" i think, not super representative.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

angryrobots posted:

Time is a roundel.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

aaand here's the thread title

:hmmyes:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Anybody know what this tool is? I would have used it on my E36 M3. The outside diameter is about 43mm and the eccentric hole 27mm. Fits on a 1/2" drive wrench. There is a "ST" logo on the side like a brand name, and "BMW 3639" is engraved.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
rear toe adjustment tool

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

It's something I'm considering buying as it's local to me. Going to check it out on Thursday if all goes according to plan. Pics:

https://imgur.com/a/ByVfDeY

"Very nice and rare 528i Touring Wagon with a 5 speed manual transmission. This is 1 of only 125 cars produced in 2000. All maintenance up to date, new CONTINENTAL tires 2000 miles ago, new rear brakes and fresh service. Only two owners and parked in the winter by me. The car is very clean and will provide years of driving enjoyment. $9,500.00 or best offer."

"New radiator, radiator hoses, expansion tank, metal impeller water pump, coolant bleeder and BMW coolant 9,000 miles ago."

I always struggle with these situations. Sure it's rare, and sure, it's a manual, but you're paying a premium to drive (and maintain) a 20 year old base model German car. Will things break frequently? Probably, unless it becomes your "weekend car," at which point, ask yourself why your weekend car is a 20 year old base model wagon?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

BlackMK4 posted:

rear toe adjustment tool

I was doing my own alignments for autocross so yep, that's it. Thanks!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I always struggle with these situations. Sure it's rare, and sure, it's a manual, but you're paying a premium to drive (and maintain) a 20 year old base model German car. Will things break frequently? Probably, unless it becomes your "weekend car," at which point, ask yourself why your weekend car is a 20 year old base model wagon?

drat. I’m shook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

This is very much an internal reckoning I've been struggling with, which is why I was wanting something more like a VW R32, because it can at least flex into weekend car a lot better.

Also it's pro to have a motorcycle for backup when your 20 year old german is broken :v: