Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

According to the Player handbook, you can decide the moment you were going to kill someone that you can just knock them out instead, regardless of damage type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah, that's something I realized later on. I never said I was punching to knock him out and it also wasn't suggested as an option, but he's new to DMing so I'll bring it up next time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Team_q posted:

According to the Player handbook, you can decide the moment you were going to kill someone that you can just knock them out instead, regardless of damage type.

Almost; this only applies to melee attacks. You can't choose to knock opponents out with your fireball or anything.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Speaking of melee attacks, I have a question.

So monks can make an unarmed strike with any attack (with some caveats but generally speaking they can do it). If I use Flurry of Blows as bonus action, how many hit rolls do I have to actually make? One for the attack, and then one for Flurry of Blows? or one for the attack, and then one for each bonus attack since FoB hits twice?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Kaysette posted:

We had a couple deaths before 5th or 6th level. Those big boys hit hard. The cleric helped some with that and a sorlock and assassination rogue helped tear through the HP piles thrown our way. My druid also summoned shitloads of animals to basically act as ablative armor. We also usually had 5-7 players and I’m not sure how much the DM scaled things up for that.

We have four players and we're a gnoll death cleric (me), a warlock, wizard, and sorcerer. I don't think we're optimized for this adventure.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe our DM is going too easy on us, but we're barely taking any damage our campaign. We got through the siege with I think only one person taking an arrow, and the the fight on the Giant's tower in the sky had almost everyone at full health at the end, except for one who fell off the cloud and somehow survived

The sky tower fight would have finished us if the giant living there hadn't intervened. I gave one of the dwarves a smite and it didn't even knock him below half.

MonsterEnvy posted:

What level are you at. And what type was the giant. Will give me an idea of were you are at in the adventure.

We're level six. We're in Waterdeep to talk to a guy who knows about the giant/dragon feud and there's a small silver dragon that lives with him. After we visited, a cloud citadel showed up and we were attacked by a bunch of griffins and two cloud(?) giants.

Serf posted:

it's amazing what people can survive in desperate times

Im reading your SotDL thread right now and if I can't get them to try that I'm going to try Tales from the Loop since the most vocal 5e proponent is a massive Stranger Things fan.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

So monks can make an unarmed strike with any attack (with some caveats but generally speaking they can do it). If I use Flurry of Blows as bonus action, how many hit rolls do I have to actually make? One for the attack, and then one for Flurry of Blows? or one for the attack, and then one for each bonus attack since FoB hits twice?

When you use your bonus action to Flurry of Blows it gives you two attacks so you roll an attack for each one.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Thumbtacks posted:

One for each of the attacks. So three in this case.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thumbtacks posted:

sorry that was hyperbole on my part, it didn't actually come off

i did apparently actually kill the guy though, apparently level 1 humans have like 4 hit points (that seems low and wrong to me but whatever)

it's a known fact that a house cat will absolutely demolish a first level adventurer

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cat Face Joe posted:

We're level six. We're in Waterdeep to talk to a guy who knows about the giant/dragon feud and there's a small silver dragon that lives with him. After we visited, a cloud citadel showed up and we were attacked by a bunch of griffins and two cloud(?) giants.

Hmm interesting. This is not your fault, but it makes sense these giants would overpower you. Slight spoilers. Those Giants are not supposed to be hostile according to the adventure.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Gerdalti posted:

One for each of the attacks. So three in this case.

So if I'm disadvantaged, that's six rolls? That makes sense.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

Im reading your SotDL thread right now and if I can't get them to try that I'm going to try Tales from the Loop since the most vocal 5e proponent is a massive Stranger Things fan.

:bisonyes:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Thumbtacks posted:

So if I'm disadvantaged, that's six rolls? That makes sense.

Why would you used Flurry of Blows with disadvantage?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Why would you used Flurry of Blows with disadvantage?

Guards were closing in so I figured I might as well get one last punch in. I had disadvantage because I was holding the lockbox that I couldn't get open. The attack right before Flurry of Blows was me slamming the heavy box down onto the gnoll's head and then punching him twice, he gave me disadvantage because I was holding a really heavy box with one hand while I smacked him with the other one. Probably should have put it down but that would have constituted a bonus action I think, so I just went with it.

It worked, he died.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

mango sentinel posted:

Has anyone done a good write-up on the math of Great Weapon Master? I understand it's good, but want to see something like a graph of average damage between regular and power attacks, but do not remember my college statistics classes.

I made this for my Battlemaster Crossbowman WRT the Sharpshooter feat, which is essentially the same thing:

Power attacks really shine when combined with a reliable source of advantage and/or the Precision Attack maneuver, but even baseline it's a very significant increase vs easy to hit enemies, much higher than any other feat by far. In 5e AC is very tightly bound and attack bonuses are not, so the higher your level the stronger power attacks become as you need lower and lower rolls to hit.

Note that the chart is assuming a base damage of 8.5 (1d6+5, a Hand Crossbow with 20 Dex). Since two handed weapons have larger damage dice the numbers will be slightly worse for Great Weapon Master as the +10 bonus is a lower percentage of your total damage. Also you don't get +2 to hit from Archery Fighting Style, so in general the GWM is weaker than Sharpshooter but still far stronger than most other feats you could take.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Thumbtacks it sounds like your group definitely is Loony Tunes with blood and gore so I guess make sure all your players are into that.

Ojetor posted:

I made this for my Battlemaster Crossbowman WRT the Sharpshooter feat, which is essentially the same thing:

Power attacks really shine when combined with a reliable source of advantage and/or the Precision Attack maneuver, but even baseline it's a very significant increase vs easy to hit enemies, much higher than any other feat by far. In 5e AC is very tightly bound and attack bonuses are not, so the higher your level the stronger power attacks become as you need lower and lower rolls to hit.

Note that the chart is assuming a base damage of 8.5 (1d6+5, a Hand Crossbow with 20 Dex). Since two handed weapons have larger damage dice the numbers will be slightly worse for Great Weapon Master as the +10 bonus is a lower percentage of your total damage. Also you don't get +2 to hit from Archery Fighting Style, so in general the GWM is weaker than Sharpshooter but still far stronger than most other feats you could take.

Thank you, this is a good starting point.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah the core formula is:
Max AC to use GWM on = 16 - (avg dmg/2) + 16.

Average damage is the average damage when you hit. It doesn't include the 10 from GWM/sharpshooter.

If you want an exact formula for "with advantage", it is something like
x < 0.5*(2*y + sqrt(z^2+10*z+1600) - z - 8) where y is your attack bonus and z is your average damage as described above. Pretty much gonna turn into "use it always with advantage, never without".

This came from:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472938-Great-Weapon-Mastery-How-to-5-10-Like-a-Pro

EDIT: Oh also this is just maximizing average damage per round, which is what I assume you're asking for. Often the difference between 10 and 20 damage is nothing but 0 and 1 damage is huge so weight things accordingly. Don't waste your risk missing with sharpshooter so you can do 10 more damage to a 7 hp creature.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 26, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Thumbtacks it sounds like your group definitely is Loony Tunes with blood and gore so I guess make sure all your players are into that.

I'd never thought about phrasing it that way but that does seem to be fairly accurate.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Thumbtacks posted:

I'd never thought about phrasing it that way but that does seem to be fairly accurate.

Send your gamemaster this link and encourage him or her to use it during sessions please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0TmmLNYbO0

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Monk Martial Arts and Flurry of Blows should probably go on the OP

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Nothing wrong with that as long as everyone is on board. That'd be a hell of a surprise to spring on players mid session though :v:

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
My group of nerds are finally gonna try out this dumb system. I saw a character builder online a couple weeks ago but it seems to have all of its content taken down, understandably. Is there a good way to build characters now, or am I stuck with the books?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CommaToes posted:

My group of nerds are finally gonna try out this dumb system. I saw a character builder online a couple weeks ago but it seems to have all of its content taken down, understandably. Is there a good way to build characters now, or am I stuck with the books?

http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

No totally I get it. I’m still extremely new to the game so I find a simple class that’s hard to play badly still appealing (good thing I rolled a rogue, the second best choice for that apparently), but I can definitely see why people more comfortable with the base mechanics of the game find fighter unsatisfying.

I also realize now that I just sincerely agreed with a joke post that was made for everyone to laugh at but I’m not too proud to own it

except the class that's actually hard to play badly is the wizard, grab some spells and cast them when they seem like a good idea and you'll be at least as effective as someone who doesn't know much and is playing a fighter and probably almost as well as the dude who has mastered the fighter.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Elfgames posted:

except the class that's actually hard to play badly is the wizard, grab some spells and cast them when they seem like a good idea and you'll be at least as effective as someone who doesn't know much and is playing a fighter and probably almost as well as the dude who has mastered the fighter.

This was always the case in 3e - wizards are, in fact, the most newbie friendly class. Because they're the only class that doesn't have to play for keeps when making character decisions.

A new player isn't going to know what feats are good or how to string together combos. But with spells, if you gently caress that up, that's cool - just change to a different spell next day. But fighters? Every mistake you made in early levels will ETERNALLY haunt you. You are never allowed to make them up.

EDIT: I want my guy to be kinda good at stabbing AND shooting with a bow because I'm well rounded! *like four levels later* Well, know that I know that's a terrible idea, time to...uh, die and reroll, I guess!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hell, most (all?) caster classes have the "you can also drop a spell you know for another one on your spell list" caveat each time you level.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

For limited-spells-known casters like Sorcerers, swapping a spell out per level is actually pretty vital for making sure that you can actually have a spell selection that remains relevant as you progress in level. A Wizard can stop preparing sleep after level 3, but if a Sorcerer couldn’t swap out spells, they’d basically have one fewer spell known since they’d never have a reason to cast it again. You’d eventually wind up with a solid half of your spells eaten up by ones that were really good at the time but have since been eclipsed by better, higher-level spells, while the Wizard has moved on to filling their low-level slots with utility.

This isn’t to say that it doesn’t let you fix your mistakes, which it does, but it serves an actual design purpose besides just making spell choice less consequential.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blastron posted:

For limited-spells-known casters like Sorcerers, swapping a spell out per level is actually pretty vital for making sure that you can actually have a spell selection that remains relevant as you progress in level. A Wizard can stop preparing sleep after level 3, but if a Sorcerer couldn’t swap out spells, they’d basically have one fewer spell known since they’d never have a reason to cast it again. You’d eventually wind up with a solid half of your spells eaten up by ones that were really good at the time but have since been eclipsed by better, higher-level spells, while the Wizard has moved on to filling their low-level slots with utility.

This isn’t to say that it doesn’t let you fix your mistakes, which it does, but it serves an actual design purpose besides just making spell choice less consequential.

as with everything else in d&d design, limitations on casters got relaxed and relaxed and relaxed even more because gosh darn it it just isn't fairrrrrr

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

blastron posted:

Sleep is still really effective at knocking an NPC unconscious later on, especially when it's upcast to a higher spell level.

"Sleep sucks after level 3" is a a cultural holdover from previous editions and isn't true anymore

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In a way, "character choice permanence" is yet another area where the game has regressed.

In 3rd Edition's PHB 2, there were Retraining rules. Whenever you leveled-up, you could:
* change your choice of Ranger combat style or Cleric domain or other class feature
* change your feats
* change your skills
* change your languages

There was then another section for Rebuilding rules, which represented more drastic measures:
* you could reallocate your ability scores
* you could change your class levels
* you could change your race
* you could change templates applied to your character

The rebuild was supposed to take the form of a "quest" that the party would take part in, but it was at least possible.

In 4th Edition, Retraining was available from get go: page 28 of the PHB 1. With every level-up, you could change a feat, change a power, or change a trained skill.

When we get to 5th Edition, you can ... learn a new language or a new tool proficiency after training for 250 days at the cost of 1 GP per day.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

TBH I'm glad they didn't put rules like that in the manual. The best rule is "if you'd like to respec or replace your character, ask your DM" and that's basically what 5e has. This way DMs aren't pressured to allow or disallow respecs, or pressured to take away player resources if they do choose to allow a respec.

Also the 3ePHB2 quest thing was really dumb and represents all the worst parts of the verisimilitude paradigm.

Adventurer's league allows respecs before level 5 but none after, which seems reasonable for that type of game

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

esquilax posted:

TBH I'm glad they didn't put rules like that in the manual. The best rule is "if you'd like to respec or replace your character, ask your DM" and that's basically what 5e has.

Does 5e say or allude to this? This is not a gotcha question, I'd be honestly glad to be corrected on this, because the problem with it not saying anything (as opposed to 3e's mechanistic method) means that people trend more towards never thinking that respecs should be an option because of the "real reality, not a video game" mentality.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does 5e say or allude to this? This is not a gotcha question, I'd be honestly glad to be corrected on this, because the problem with it not saying anything (as opposed to 3e's mechanistic method) means that people trend more towards never thinking that respecs should be an option because of the "real reality, not a video game" mentality.

Probably not, but just like with "tying knots" the absence of a rule implies DM fiat. Like all "there are no rules for this, ask your DM" rules, the rule would be pretty redundant.

There's probably a sage advice tweet out there saying that retraining is up to the DM if that counts

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's an official AL rule, but I don't think it appears in any of the books.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

5e: Ask your DM.

Which isnt annoying in and of itself but its really incosistently applied in 5e.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimmeeee posted:

I'm pretty sure that's an official AL rule, but I don't think it appears in any of the books.

Yeah, there's an AL rule that you can respec rather freely below level 3 (or was it 5?) in AL, but that really doesn't help all the other home games out there.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Jimmeeee posted:

AL allows literal full "everything but your name" respecs before level 5 but none after as a compromise, because they are trying to create the kind of structured play where everyone starts at level 1 and "earns" everything.

It's not my thing but it's a valid way to play.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
What Mystic disciplines do you guys think need to be houseruled or prohibited between now and when the Mystic gets some more rebalancing and/or officially released? We just did a conversion from Pathfinder to 5e and everything was going okay until the Mystic used their first Psychic Blast and apparently a Cone of Cold at level 7 that uses a very non-resisted damage type and targets a very rare saving throw (Int) seemed like a good idea at the time to someone at WotC.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Reik posted:

What Mystic disciplines do you guys think need to be houseruled or prohibited between now and when the Mystic gets some more rebalancing and/or officially released? We just did a conversion from Pathfinder to 5e and everything was going okay until the Mystic used their first Psychic Blast and apparently a Cone of Cold at level 7 that uses a very non-resisted damage type and targets a very rare saving throw (Int) seemed like a good idea at the time to someone at WotC.

It's hard to say what's unbalanced when the Wizard, Sorlock, and Sorladin are in the game, but I think Mystics are supposed to have the potential for better blasting in return for having a much smaller variety of things they can do.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nickoten posted:

It's hard to say what's unbalanced when the Wizard, Sorlock, and Sorladin are in the game, but I think Mystics are supposed to have the potential for better blasting in return for having a much smaller variety of things they can do.

At level 7 an Order of the Awakened Mystic is going to have 6 disciplines, which have 3-4 powers each. If they pick Psychic Assault and Psionic Restoration as 2 of those 6 they have access to all the blasting they need as well as "Cure Wounds minus spellcasting ability bonus", Lesser Restoration, Revivify, and Restoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Reik posted:

At level 7 an Order of the Awakened Mystic is going to have 6 disciplines, which have 3-4 powers each. If they pick Psychic Assault and Psionic Restoration as 2 of those 6 they have access to all the blasting they need as well as "Cure Wounds minus spellcasting ability bonus", Lesser Restoration, Revivify, and Restoration.

They also have to take entire disciplines to get things like Mage Armor or Smite, though, which I think ostensibly is supposed to make the discipline choices harder.

For example, of the Cleric stuff they get from Psionic Restoration, I think Revivify and Greater Restoration are the ones I'd actually want to take as a Bard or prepare as a Cleric (I'd always take Healing Word over Cure Wounds, plus Prayer of Healing). But I'm stuck with getting Lesser Restoration and Cure Wounds as well.

Note, I'm not saying this actually does balance that, but rather that I think that's how it's supposed to work.