Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Azhais posted:

Someone explain this Eruv thing to me. Google just tells me it's an area designated for Jewish households were where nothing happens on Shabbos. What's all the "down in 22 places" stuff?

Traditionally shabbat is a day of rest in judaism so there are many things that are forbidden. One of the rules is around moving objects between "domains", established in Jeremiah 17:21-22

quote:

thus saith the LORD: Take heed for the sake of your souls, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem;

neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work; but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers

The idea is that by establishing a wall around several houses and then exchanging food (usually bread) you combine them into one large household so that you can go about your business in the courtyard between houses. The idea has expanded in the twentieth century to include larger and larger areas.

Memento posted:

The linked article explains it. The tl;dr is that there's a wire line around Manhattan that makes it a "dwelling" so that Jewish people can do things like walk with canes or carry groceries on Saturday, which is normally forbidden outside their homes.

It makes zero sense unless you're Jewish, but for them it's very important.

It should be pointed out that the a lot of Jews don't really care and it's usually only the super observant or the hasid who find it really important.

Jabor posted:

It seems like it would be easier to make the argument that the eruv needs to exist to some extent, but it doesn't actually matter if there's a break in it at this exact moment. It's not like your house stops being a house when you have a window open, you know?

There's a huge amount of literature behind this. Initially I believe it had to be a closable portal like a window or door. Then it was established that linked doorframes without doors were okay. Then it was decided that you really can't say how wide a door is supposed to be so two posts that were very far apart with a wire between them that you pass under is also a door. That's the rationale behind the whole thing, really. A series of poles with overhead wires is basically just a lot of very large, flimsy doorways.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Why not just rest as god suggested. Know a good thing when you've got it, drat

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Use satellites to establish the perimeter in orbit. Job done, bish bash bosh.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It seems weird that somebody would be considered orthodox but also work so hard to justify why they’re blatantly breaking both the spirit and letter of a religious law but I suppose they’re having fun with it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Spatial posted:

Why not just rest as god suggested. Know a good thing when you've got it, drat
For a more serious answer to a flippant response, the prohibitions include things like carrying medications, moving wheelchairs, and similar quality of life things for people. So everyone knows it's a kludge but its technically in the rules and lets people live their lives so everyone including YHVH is happy with it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fallom posted:

It seems weird that somebody would be considered orthodox but also work so hard to justify why they’re blatantly breaking both the spirit and letter of a religious law but I suppose they’re having fun with it.
The Covenant is sort of a legal dialog between God and his people. As God sends his prosecutor to test adherence, the people can in turn prosecute God to get the fair end of the deal.

Asimo posted:

For a more serious answer to a flippant response, the prohibitions include things like carrying medications, moving wheelchairs, and similar quality of life things for people. So everyone knows it's a kludge but its technically in the rules and lets people live their lives so everyone including YHVH is happy with it.
And more generally its promoting practices that foster community which is spiritually advantageous and temporally important for a group that had survived through much of history as diaspora. Properly maintaining the eruv is not just the physical boundary but also about coming together as a community. As long as they are brothers in community, they will never be far enough from home to be considered carrying a burden.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Asimo posted:

I'm no rabbinical scholar, but I thought that there were generally exceptions for things that are critical for life and safety. Like, ambulance drivers and firefighters are still allowed to work on the sabbath.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm no rabbinical scholar, but I thought that there were generally exceptions for things that are critical for life and safety. Like, ambulance drivers and firefighters are still allowed to work on the sabbath.

By law, at least in the States, you're required to make accommodations for people's religious beliefs, within reason. Asking for a specific day off a week is entirely within reason.

Though at the same time if the religion itself makes an exception for emergency personnel, then :shrug:

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 16, 2019

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
post some more pics this thread is getting stale

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i actually like the theological discussion im learning poo poo over here.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

:agreed:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the exception for emergency personnel exists solely because they're more likely to be needed on the weekend, and thus not to hamper their ability to help when needed most.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

This isn't the place to learn stuff :colbert:

Unless it's "don't fall into a tank of sunflower seeds"

grain engulfment ain't no joke

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"We've got another sunflower incident - send the birds, stat!"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

iospace posted:

Though at the same time if the religion itself makes an exception for emergency personnel, then :shrug:

That's what I'm saying, I meant that the religious rules have those exceptions for cases of emergency. Like, God is okay with you driving if it means you're putting out a fire.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
jesus take the wheel

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sneakyfrog posted:

jesus take the wheel

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Powershift posted:

Nooooooooooo

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Powershift posted:

I thought this was asphalt at first and was wondering how he was still alive after being submerged in liquid asphalt.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Re Eruv chat: yes it’s dumb as gently caress but it’s a religious practice. The answer to an imaginary Eruv or similar is “not being a batshit loon in 2019 and practicing reform or liberal Judaism”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can I construct an anti-eruv inside their eruv where they aren't allowed to carry things anymore?

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why didn't god or allah or Bob or whoever wrote these rules include stipulations for this poo poo?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

fakeaccount posted:

Why didn't god or allah or Bob or whoever wrote these rules include stipulations for this poo poo?

Is this a God, The Devil, and Bob reference? because if it is, then hell yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGy6lD75Owg

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Powershift posted:

The Wikipedia entry on Grain entrapment is on-brand for this thread.

quote:

Smaller family farms, however, are exempt from most federal labor regulation specific to agriculture, and no safety regulations govern children working for their parents. In 2011 the U.S. Department of Labor proposed sweeping new regulations that would have changed this, prohibiting underage workers from being allowed to enter silos, among other provisions. They were withdrawn after protests from farmers and politicians of both U.S. parties.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

fakeaccount posted:

On the outside chance that there is actually a chosen people to lead us all into ???, I'll take the folks willing to argue on the fine points.

OSHA of the soul, or some poo poo.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It’s also great to note in the civilised world grain silo related deaths are basically 0, rather than 23 a year, possibly something to do with not letting children work in what amounts o quicksand I guess?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cojawfee posted:

Can I construct an anti-eruv inside their eruv where they aren't allowed to carry things anymore?

Better yet, create a small diameter string circle and declare everything outside it a single domain.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Vanagoon posted:

Is this a God, The Devil, and Bob reference? because if it is, then hell yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGy6lD75Owg

Love that weird show.

Cojawfee posted:

There appears to be a concept for this, actually. For zones inside an eruv that are not intended for human habitation.

There are a few large Jewish communities near where I live and I looked up eruvim around me. One of the maps showed a zone inside one eruv labeled a karfef. Google maps showed it was a small swamp in between two built up neighborhoods.

I think another problem involving making a planet/country wide eruv ties into the distances between dwellings helping to define the limits of the city. An eruv needs to be around (Theo)logically related dwellings, so you can't have one spanning uninhabited areas where houses are too far apart.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When making your inner eruv, make sure to check the winding rule so you don't accidentally create a double eruv and make carrying mandatory.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

haveblue posted:

When making your inner eruv, make sure to check the winding rule so you don't accidentally create a double eruv and make carrying mandatory.

Just get an eruv-a-hoop

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fallom posted:

fakeaccount posted:

the general rabbinical agreement is that our big brains are a gift from god, so he obviously intended for us to use them, and it pleases god when we use our big brains to come up with clever interpretations of his laws.

it's actually quite a nice sentiment i think. the same logic is why judaism is generally very sex-positive (why would he make it so fun if you weren't supposed to do it??) and open-minded on many topics.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

haveblue posted:

Or is that like putting a portable hole inside another portable hole and destroying everything?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hatzollah has Shabbas goys who drive the ambulance back from the hospital. Once the patient has been dropped off it’s not a matter of life and death anymore so they aren’t allowed to drive. And anything where Hatzollah isn’t allowed to drive is a blessing, the poo poo those guys pull is insane.

Also, ambulance driver is not the preferred nomenclature, man.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CannonFodder posted:

Or is that like putting a portable hole inside another portable hole and destroying everything?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

zedprime posted:

the people can in turn prosecute God to get the fair end of the deal.

Honestly, if there's one faith which has some solid loving reasons to prosecute God, it's Judaism.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Fine, meat wagon pilot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Fine, meat wagon pilot.

Brb, buying new patches for uniforms.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Trabant posted:

Honestly, if there's one faith which has some solid loving reasons to prosecute God, it's Judaism.

OSHA Eruvchat: This time, the Jews really did do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hatzollah has Shabbas goys who drive the ambulance back from the hospital. Once the patient has been dropped off it’s not a matter of life and death anymore so they aren’t allowed to drive. And anything where Hatzollah isn’t allowed to drive is a blessing, the poo poo those guys pull is insane.

I've heard some crazy stories about Hatzollah EMS and the things they get away with. They've definitely done some OSHA stuff.
I can't find it right now but I remember seeing a hatzollah ems SUV driving at high speeds erratically through the city with like 4 guys standing on the side steps of it hanging on for dear life trying to look all tacti-cool.
Probably responding to a non urgent call too. Wackers man.