Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I had a friend who used to work in insurance tell me that BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Range Rover were no longer considered prestige vehicles with the exception of the very top of the range (I.e. 7 Series, A8, S Class etc).

Apparently a lot of people got really upset when they found out they were not entitled to a luxury courtesy car despite having what they perceived as a luxury brand.

Honestly the 116d must be a money printer for BMW.

Considering the M4 is 7 series money and the M5 comp is decked-out m840 grand coupe money, I'd assume they generally count as well, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't it this?

I mean, insider close-ups. Really interested of the texture and how it looks up close

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My dad just bought a Genesis G80 Ultimate (2017) and the level of luxury honestly makes me jealous. No, it will never drive like a 3-series coupe, but it has everything: air conditioned seats, HUD, 17-speaker sound system, nice leather, dead quiet inside, automatic rear sun shade, etc. For $29k with 25k miles, I can't imagine picking a 5-series or A6 over this, especially since it won't poo poo the bed the way a german car does.

Speaking of which, I have just cracked the exact same $500 rim for the second time in four months.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:chanpop:

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/d/entiat-1996-bmw-e36-m3-ls1-t56/7199348025.html

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Diametunim posted:

Calipers are going back on the M3. Finally. Stupid car has only been sitting since February. Now I'm just waiting for Besian Systems parts to come in to overhaul the VANOS.

e: parts are here. Now I just need FCP Euro to come through.
I’m stoked to see this project still has life. Keep updating!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I follow speedhunters on IG and saw it, badass. Although Bape's got a bit of a Tobias Funke flair to his IG handle... @analrightguy

Oh, I’m sorry it’s pronounced uh-NAL-rightguy.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've posted about this issue a bunch in the thread, but it's happened again: my steering wheel is off-center. It seems to stay centered about 2k miles after an alignment, then goes off center again. Always in the same direction, tilted to the right.

Today the alignment shop guy called to say he has no idea why this is happening and that he's never seen this problem in 20 years of doing BMW alignments. Before I spend crazy money on an indie shop to look at it again, thought I'd solicit opinions about what might be going on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Does the car track straight when you have your hands off the steering wheel, only with the steering wheel a couple degrees kicked right off of center?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Does the car track straight when you have your hands off the steering wheel, only with the steering wheel a couple degrees kicked right off of center?
In other words, when the steering wheel is in the position I have to hold it in normally to get it to drive straight?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Why would he go to all that trouble and use an iron block?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEILgKe4Frw

yuri & jakub from Straight Pipes were hands-on with the M3 and M4. I thought this thread might like to see it. I feel like the front grilles look way better with a plate on, because they look pretty stressful here. Sick paint and interior colours though.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
My insurance payment went down considerably going from a used 17 GTI 2dr base 6speed to an off the lot 2020 M2 Comp. Let that sink in lol.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

My insurance payment went down considerably going from a used 17 GTI 2dr base 6speed to an off the lot 2020 M2 Comp. Let that sink in lol.

Probably respective average age of the drivers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

In other words, when the steering wheel is in the position I have to hold it in normally to get it to drive straight?

nah sorry, does the car track straight without you holding the wheel, but with the wheel at a slight angle? or does the car not track straight when you take your hands off the steering wheel? i apologize as i am pretty sure i am not putting the question all that clearly.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

KillHour posted:

Probably respective average age of the drivers.

Ultimately you're not wrong but I'm not exactly in any low-risk categories. Under 30, unmarried, etc etc etc

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Ultimately you're not wrong but I'm not exactly in any low-risk categories. Under 30, unmarried, etc etc etc

You have enough money to buy an M car. That is a lower risk category.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nah sorry, does the car track straight without you holding the wheel, but with the wheel at a slight angle? or does the car not track straight when you take your hands off the steering wheel? i apologize as i am pretty sure i am not putting the question all that clearly.
I might be understanding this totally wrong but I think that's the same as how I understood it - anyway, I'll give this a shot when I get it back later.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Crunchy Black posted:

Funny enough, I went from a GTI to a 981 Cayman (also when I was a 30 year old unmarried rear end in a top hat) and it was something like $50 more for the year.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

I've posted about this issue a bunch in the thread, but it's happened again: my steering wheel is off-center. It seems to stay centered about 2k miles after an alignment, then goes off center again. Always in the same direction, tilted to the right.

How many miles on your... E92?

What kind of alignment rack does your indie use? The kind you lower the car into from a two post lift or the kind you drive on to?

Do you get brake shudder like a warped rotor when stopping somewhat quickly from highway speeds?

I've been looking into something similar for my e61 (with 189k), and I'm starting to think it might be the fluid filled suspension bushings in the two front arms. Reading around, one of the symptoms of duff torsion arm (the forward lower ones up front) bushing is brake shudder like a warped rotor.

Some time in the last year of my ownership the steering wheel has taken a slight set to the left. I think- the car was so overwhelming at first It very well could have been there all along. It was there before I dropped subframe, it's there after. I don't have any clunking or play when grabbing the arms, but the for does seem to have more tire noise than I remember.

I have a set of (junkyard) forward arms to press new bushings into and swap in. I don't know how quickly I'll get to it, but I'd be happy to report back.

Tl;dr check your bushings, look for cracks. The bushings might take a set after some driving, which gets missed by the alignment machine.

glyph fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 6, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah insurance on my M2c is dirt-dirt-dirt cheap. The agent said it has a good record since it's almost always a person's Secondary Car and those get babied instead of totaled

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

glyph posted:

How many miles on your... E92?

What kind of alignment rack does your indie use? The kind you lower the car into from a two post lift or the kind you drive on to?

Do you get brake shudder like a warped rotor when stopping somewhat quickly from highway speeds?

I've been looking into something similar for my e61 (with 189k), and I'm starting to think it might be the fluid filled suspension bushings in the two front arms. Reading around, one of the symptoms of duff torsion arm (the forward lower ones up front) bushing is brake shudder like a warped rotor.

Some time in the last year of my ownership the steering wheel has taken a slight set to the left. I think- the car was so overwhelming at first It very well could have been there all along. It was there before I dropped subframe, it's there after. I don't have any clunking or play when grabbing the arms, but the for does seem to have more tire noise than I remember.

I have a set of (junkyard) forward arms to press new bushings into and swap in. I don't know how quickly I'll get to it, but I'd be happy to report back.

Tl;dr check your bushings, look for cracks. The bushings might take a set after some driving, which gets missed by the alignment machine.
Thank you for this post. I am actually sitting in it (E92, 98k miles) right now while they align it. It's a HawkEye Elite (the kind you drive on to.) I have felt the shuddering you describe too.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

KillHour posted:

You have enough money to buy an M car. That is a lower risk category.

eh, yes but no.

I totally make enough to afford the car, but I also never ever would have bought it without the raffle money. Let's put it this way, I'm not dumb enough to buy a car that costs more than 2/3ds of a year's salary. :)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wow, I just looked under the car and sure enough, that bushing is cracked.

Guess that might be the issue. Gonna replace it. Thanks so much for the advice.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
You might also wanna get the fact that you have CV joints in the front of your BMW checked, too.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Crunchy Black posted:

eh, yes but no.

I totally make enough to afford the car, but I also never ever would have bought it without the raffle money. Let's put it this way, I'm not dumb enough to buy a car that costs more than 2/3ds of a year's salary. :)

I think the point is mostly "24 year old vaper flat brim dude goes into used car lot, buys 15 year old GTI. Totals it on the drive home. Many such cases!"

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I need to shop for insurance again. I'm pretty sure I'm paying too much right now.

Also, the M3 is way more comfortable on long drives than my Prius. The thing where I can put 4 tires on the Prius for the price of one rear on the M3 wins that argument though. Also the 45mpg highway thing.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Wow, I just looked under the car and sure enough, that bushing is cracked.

Guess that might be the issue. Gonna replace it. Thanks so much for the advice.

That's a start. I'd bet there's more to it.

That's a ball joint. FWIW, I meant the cylindrical bushings on the other ends of the arms.

335? 328?

E: that's the... Right side? Which way is your wheel cocked driving straight ahead?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's a 328. It's cocked to the right side, and that's the right side ball joint, yeah. Can't say I fully understand which part you mean then.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

It's a 328. It's cocked to the right side, and that's the right side ball joint, yeah. Can't say I fully understand which part you mean then.

The other end of that same aluminum control arm. The one that connects to the subframe. The donut looking one.

Sloppy ball joint would explain it though- knuckle slides outboard on sloppy ball joint, the tie rod is at the front of knuckle, so this creates increased right toe in/ leftward steering... which means you need to steer/turn wheel to the right to counter the toe caused by sloppy ball joint to go straight.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pretty sure that's your tie rod, not a bushing. too bad you'll need another alignment after replacing it...imo that shop should have spotted it before doing the alignment

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

glyph posted:

The other end of that same aluminum control arm. The one that connects to the subframe. The donut looking one.

Sloppy ball joint would explain it though- knuckle slides outboard on sloppy ball joint, the tie rod is at the front of knuckle, so this creates increased right toe in/ leftward steering... which means you need to steer/turn wheel to the right to counter the toe caused by sloppy ball joint to go straight.
You're talking about this boy on the left here? It's all part of the control arm so I guess I could just replace both of the arms rather than just the ball joint.

They didn't charge me for this alignment thankfully.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

You're talking about this boy on the left here? It's all part of the control arm so I guess I could just replace both of the arms rather than just the ball joint.

They didn't charge me for this alignment thankfully.

No way to change the ball joint but to change the bushing as well. It’s all one unit.

Do both sides.

^^^ two posts up, the tie rod is out of frame. There are two lower control arms. Language is some bullshit like wishbone and traction strut. Check realoem, I could be off.

E: yep, tie rod is out of frame.

glyph fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 7, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Here's a slightly wider shot. A lot of the other stuff looks fairly new but the control arm is extra crispy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ah, didnt realize bmw got rid of the three point control arm on the e9x models

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BraveUlysses posted:

ah, didnt realize bmw got rid of the three point control arm on the e9x models

Why in the world...surely the tooling to build those godforsaken things was amoritized 30 years ago, now they...don't even double wishbone it???

e: this caused me to go look up the M2's front because I'd never bothered to and what fresh hell is this

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 7, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Interior volume + engine packaging + speed of assembly matter a lot

I would expect their suspension decisions are largely determined by that. Putting the suspension from a Lotus Super 7 in a passenger coupe that can be built on an assembly line, and gives the creature comforts of a modern bmw probably requires a larger chassis than the Toyota Corolla sized 2 series

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crunchy Black posted:

Why in the world...surely the tooling to build those godforsaken things was amoritized 30 years ago, now they...don't even double wishbone it???

e: this caused me to go look up the M2's front because I'd never bothered to and what fresh hell is this

there's nothing wrong with the design of it, obviously it worked well enough on a lot of really fast cars and eventually they moved onto a more sophisticated design that still utilized a mcpherson strut. its been 15+ years i do remember in college learning about the design of the control arm and it provided a lot of benefits out of a suspension that wasnt really ideal (mcpherson) for sportscars. i want to say it helped with braking?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I know I don't really understand math but I'll be goddamned if I believe that part #10 is better at being a control arm than the ones on an e30/36

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Crunchy Black posted:

I know I don't really understand math but I'll be goddamned if I believe that part #10 is better at being a control arm than the ones on an e30/36

why do you believe this other than more linkages = better than

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

I still can’t fully wrap my head around why BMW chooses to have two ball joints on a Macpherson strut design vs the usual one ball joint on a wishbone shaped LCA.

Obviously the cars still self-center, so the virtual pivot point created by the two isn’t to remove caster. I can’t visualize how it’d alter KPI, but... there has to be a reason beyond the simplicity of forging aluminum arms with integral ball joints.

Or is that it? Just to make manufacturing the two control arms per side easier since they’ve dug in on aluminum?

:iiam:

E: packaging. The virtual pivot is further out than the ball joints, which creates negative scrub radius while affording packaging flexibility. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_ball_joint_suspension

glyph fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Here’s an article about it that has a pretty cool gif of it working: https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2012-bmw-328i-suspension-walkaround.html