Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Go for the facepunch. It'll even fit in with the fluff. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Gay Abortions posted:

Important question: do I go for the piloting check and kick him, or do I only fire lasers in one arm so I can do the cinematic thing and shove one of my claws through his face?

I crave chaos and destruction, even if it is my own.

eta:

So what you're saying is I should rip my way through the Cham and rush up to the command vehicles to play momma bear and protect my cubs?

If you don't want to overheat you can only fire half the lasers anyway- make with the clawmurder!

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Gay Abortions posted:

Important question: do I go for the piloting check and kick him, or do I only fire lasers in one arm so I can do the cinematic thing and shove one of my claws through his face?

Honestly I can't think of a single reason (beside fluff) to get into close combat and take a certain AC 20 hit. That's crazy! PTN is setting the other Chameleon to blast you as well, and you'll take two Longbow worth of LRMs.

Moving to say, 513, gives the +1 from movement combined with a bunch of smoke cover. That at least gives a chance for a miss instead of just giving up auto hits. And you'll still hit him on 6s with all your weapons, including the AC 20.

But, I understand if you want to go for the facepunch I guess, I just think you'll take the beating of a lifetime.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Gay Abortions posted:

Claw him!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kial posted:

Honestly I can't think of a single reason (beside fluff) to get into close combat and take a certain AC 20 hit. That's crazy! PTN is setting the other Chameleon to blast you as well, and you'll take two Longbow worth of LRMs.

Moving to say, 513, gives the +1 from movement combined with a bunch of smoke cover. That at least gives a chance for a miss instead of just giving up auto hits. And you'll still hit him on 6s with all your weapons, including the AC 20.

But, I understand if you want to go for the facepunch I guess, I just think you'll take the beating of a lifetime.

Okay, fine, I wasn't going to bring it up but this is smarter assuming you actually have the movement. I need to take another look.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Claw the fucker, it's why you have those things in the first place!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

garland336 posted:

Might want to rename it from Ultimatum to "PTN's revenge" though.

I root for the players, though!

I was just trying to recreate the feel of those old war movies where it's two men against ten thousand and the ending is ambiguous whether they survive or not :ssh:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Kial posted:

That's why I wanted the Kraken to fire everything. Why hold back when you might lose half your guns. Sometimes the thread advice needs to be taken in context.

To be fair, the stand and deliver advice was given the past ~2 turns as well, where it was arguably less advisable. It was more reasonable this turn as the Coyote had ACE and therefore the Kraken couldn't possibly have gotten away from physicals.

Kial posted:

The fact that it took all of his weapons to kill a Longbow with no arms sums up this mission nicely.

It technically didn't require all of them. The LRMs didn't contribute, the last LPL took the CT down to 15 and from there the Gauss would have been enough. And I'm rather curious as to the target choice, given that that Longbow hasn't fired in a long time, I'd imagine it's out of ammo for the LRMs. And quite frankly, the UAC/20 hunchback seems like a much bigger threat than a 3/5 mover with a single Large Laser. And with that overheat... Dire Wolf B's best move is probably to just stand still and hope that with partial cover the UAC misses or hits the cover and is negated.

Gay Abortions posted:

So what you're saying is I should rip my way through the Cham and rush up to the command vehicles to play momma bear and protect my cubs?

Well given the pilot's intro fluff, that seems like it might be a less than stellar comparison...

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
*sees turn*

And people bitch about Clantech. :allears:

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Shoeless posted:

To be fair, the stand and deliver advice was given the past ~2 turns as well, where it was arguably less advisable. It was more reasonable this turn as the Coyote had ACE and therefore the Kraken couldn't possibly have gotten away from physicals.

The difficulty of this mission leads to frustration sometimes, particularly with how insanely close the Kraken was to beating the Coyote. That was soooo close to the amazing turn we've been looking for.

Ahh well. The Kraken still has an important role to play.

Anyways, looking at the Ebon Jaguar it's been a little tricky finding a spot that keep my rear armour safe. However, 2015 does the job, facing north west.

It does mean that if the Crab decides to go toe to to toe with me, I'll take some damage, with only the +1 move mod. At the same time, I should be able to smash him down. (at least 4 turns now since a PPC hit!).

It also gives pot shots on the Chameleon if the Crab bails.

Shoeless posted:

And I'm rather curious as to the target choice, given that that Longbow hasn't fired in a long time, I'd imagine it's out of ammo for the LRMs.

I can understand the desire to finally, 100% get a kill in the south. Those guys had very little love down there.

Kial fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 6, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

garland336 posted:

Don't sweat it. When you're outnumbered like this, against technologically adept enemies, in a match where your objective literally is "Die gloriously".... I think you can safely assume this is the 'unwinnable mission'. Might want to rename it from Ultimatum to "PTN's revenge" though.

If they make it over and use their mechs to block any effective shots to Beta and Alpha before the Assaults attack they'll likely win.

Though if I was playing the psychopath my personal goal would be maximum carnage. :v:

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 6, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Yeah, PTN is heavily hinting that the players should try to dispatch their current foes as quickly as possible, link up and go rescue the command vehicles. Focus fire can get rid of the Unknown Assaults, preferably starting with the one with the lance since a 100-tonner with that and TSM is a terrifying force of destruction.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yes, just remember that a 100 ton TSM lance is 40 damage straight up.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Just to examine the Kodiak's situation a little more.

What purpose does the damaged Chameleon fill? Why is he standing still with a whole heap of cover nearby?

Bait. A big fat hook to grab the Kodiak with.

Now, the other Chamelon might be hiding around 415 somewhere, but I suspect not. PTN doesn't need to move much to gain a solid to hit mod. I think he's sitting in 515 just waiting with a walking +1 to hit and a bunch of guns ready to go ham.

That's why I think going to 514 would be a ballsy move. Shoot the damaged Chameleon on 7s, and if the other one is in 515 then claw his face in (with a torso twist towards 515 allowing both actions). If he's not, well, you're still deep in the smoke and looking good with 7s on the Chameleon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

that Longbow hasn't fired in a long time, I'd imagine it's out of ammo for the LRMs.

Nah, it still had plenty. It just had both of its arms blown off.

Kial posted:

you're still deep in the smoke and looking good with 7s on the Chameleon.

2 + 0 + 2 + 0 + 1 + 3 = 8

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 6, 2014

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Yeah, the more I look at the map, the better 0513 looks. I don't take additional heat standing in the explosion, do I?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Gay Abortions posted:

Yeah, the more I look at the map, the better 0513 looks. I don't take additional heat standing in the explosion, do I?

Wreckage takes 1 extra MP to move through if I'm not mistaken, but there's no heat penalty. The flames are cosmetic unless otherwise stated.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If it's actually big enough to be making smoke, it'll heat you up.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

If it's actually big enough to be making smoke, it'll heat you up.

Okay that puts 0513 off the table for me. Maybe 0612/0613.

edit: Wait, can I reach 0614? That looks like it might save me eating an AC20 in the back from the Hunch, or at least make it less likely to hit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you spend 3MP to do an entertaining dance, you can stamp out the flames in your locale*

*action may not be present in standard battletech rules

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

goatface posted:

If you spend 3MP to do an entertaining dance, you can stamp out the flames in your locale*

Ah, yes, as seen in the FLM-C0 Flamenco fire-fighting 'Mech.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, it still had plenty. It just had both of its arms blown off.

Ah. Well, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So would you guys agree that I should just stand still and shoot the coyote with everything again? :v:

Edit: Or move into 2226 and shoot the coyote with everything, like Kial suggested.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Artificer posted:

So would you guys agree that I should just stand still and shoot the coyote with everything again? :v:

Edit: Or move into 2226 and shoot the coyote with everything, like Kial suggested.

you wanna make it harder for the coyote to hit you so move.
and you can't overheat so alpha strike.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Gay Abortions posted:

Okay that puts 0513 off the table for me. Maybe 0612/0613.

edit: Wait, can I reach 0614? That looks like it might save me eating an AC20 in the back from the Hunch, or at least make it less likely to hit.

If the Hunchback turned and ran to 811 (I'm not 100% if he can move though that mech or not.) he'd hit you on ... 2 base + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 smoke + 1 void. So 10s. Which is actually not bad. It's certainly still a risk, as one/both of the Chameleons will be shooting you. Of course, at this point almost any move is a risk. You'd shoot the Chameleon on 2 base + 3 void + 2 running. 7s.

Could throw in a punch in case the other Chameleon is in 515. The reason I suspect he's there is that PTN moves in a way that his mechs can support one another (necessary due to the loss of Int). A move to 515 make sense to me. Of course, I could be totally wrong and he might have something else in mind.

Ultra AC 20 is something to consider no matter what you do. Interesting options.

Kial fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 7, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Artificer posted:

That or back up into 2324, so if PTN's dice decide to screw you again (they will) he'll have to run and will be lancing you on the kick table if he tries to go for the backshot.

Edit: Also by my reckoning Goonstar has destroyed eleven enemy mechs so far:

Stinger (Turn 4)
Chameleon (Turn 7)
Talon (Turn 7)
Bobcat (Turn 9)
Crab (Turn 12)
Stinger (Turn 13)
Locust (Turn 14)
Bobcat (Turn 15)
Thug (Turn 16)
Phoenix (Turn 19)
Longbow (Turn 21)

Roughly a quarter of the enemy force. Now let's try and make it an even half. :black101:

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 7, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Ooh, it's 11 already? 2 more to one third! I'm guessing some smaller mechs come in the next wave that'll help take it to half before either outcome.

The Coyote will probably shut down outright from engine hits when it loses its torso, but it's a good precaution.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 7, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Readingaccount posted:

The Coyote will probably shut down outright from engine hits when it loses its torso, but it's a good precaution.

How disappointed will you be if this doesn't happen?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
If that thing turns out to not have an XL Engine I will be very impressed.

And slightly terrified.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Also worrying is the location of the Seraphims. They are almost certainly invisible and could be anywhere around the remaining HQ units.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Scintilla posted:

And slightly terrified.

The shots could also just zip right by the open torso amid the clattering laughter of dice. We'll find out tomorrow, I guess.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kial posted:

Also worrying is the location of the Seraphims. They are almost certainly invisible and could be anywhere around the remaining HQ units.

They're just out of LOS.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Scintilla posted:

And slightly terrified.

They almost certainly have XL engines. I think it's just that they are Clanspec and thus take only 2 side crits each, is what PTN is getting at.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
If there's homebrew involved then anything could happen.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What weight is the Coyote again? Anyone know?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Artificer posted:

What weight is the Coyote again? Anyone know?

Pretty sure it's the Grigori analog and thus 60 tons.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's 65 according to the data given in the Caldera scenario.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Scintilla posted:

If there's homebrew involved then anything could happen.

How are clanspec XL engines homebrew?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm still looking for ways to fit a light engine on, but I'm 2.5 tons short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Shoeless posted:

How are clanspec XL engines homebrew?

Because clanspec XL engines belong to the Clans and there is no canon IS equivalent, discounting Light Fusion Engines. And Light Fusion Engines simply won't mesh with the Coyote given what we know it contains.

That said, some kind of Improved XL Engine developed by Amaris's scientists wouldn't surprise me.

dis astranagant posted:

I'm still looking for ways to fit a light engine on, but I'm 2.5 tons short.

The only way you can do it is to downgrade its movement to 4/6 and slap a Supercharger on it to make up the difference. With Standard structure and 12.5 tons of armour you're left with 1.5 tons of free space and four free crits. But I don't think it has a Supercharger because we haven't been notified of its activation whenever the Coyote expended more than 6 MP when we have been told about everything else (TSM, Void Sig, etc.).

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 8, 2014

• Locked thread