Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Tomahawk (use a gun that is also an axe!).

Say what? :psyduck:

You're gonna have to run that by me again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Theres already a sword that is also a gun, why not an axe that is also a sword?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
AAA game development easily goes up in to 9 figure territory now and when the PS4/Xbone were announced the increasing dev costs were talked about a fair amount both internally and on gaming news sites. Games like The Old Republic cost more to create than most Hollywood Blockbusters and GTA V cost more to produce than The Avengers. Bobby Kotick mentioned that Destiny has had roughly half a billion dollars spent on it (overall, not just development costs).

Keep mind mind also that increasing detail in video games a noticeable amount is getting exponentially more difficult and expensive. Going from 100 to 1000 polygons is a much more noticeable difference than 1000 to 10000 to say nothing of 10000 to 100000 but the latter are going to take a lot more time and money to get done well.

Rei_ posted:

This is actually how most videogames were made before the crash, the idea of games having credits (that people care about, for a long time a lot of JP devs used to work under pseudonyms, Masayashi Sokken didn't actually put his name on a game he composed until FFXIV for instance), and auteur designers are fairly recent ideas in the broader scheme of things.

The first easter egg in a videogame was a developer hiding his name in Adventure so someone would know he made it, never assume that a lot of companies would very much prefer if that was a norm. Big name designers who are more famous that the companies they work for are more trouble than they're worth, because of how hard it is to tie down IP laws and a devs name is often all you need to attach to something to let people know what other products it evokes. An Inafune or Kojima can go anywhere and make whatever they want, and people will buy that, and people will shy away from products like Metal Gear if they know the original creative team isn't tied to it.

If you think people (in any number that matters) won't by Metal Gear or other popular series just because the original team isn't working on it you're wrong, as you can see from pretty much any franchise game (including Diablo 3, whose creators acted like shitheads to guys that made Diablo 1&2). Maybe some small indie title would suffer for it but a AAA game won't. If Capcom released a decent Megaman game right now the few people who wouldn't buy it because it lacks the creator's input would be miniscule. It'd probably outsell Might No. 9 as well because it's Megaman.

Gamers by and large do not give the slightest gently caress who made their game. You might, but you are part of an irrelevant minority if so. Companies know that in the end there's one simple truth:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No game has ever cost a billion dollars to make.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

No game has ever cost a billion dollars to make.

Yes it has

just convert everything to Nigerian currency.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A dude uploaded a more in-depth video of the combat in the FF15 demo. Tips and tricks!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Square should just go back to making SNES style RPGs if modern game development is so expensive. What are people going to do, stop buying Final Fantasy games?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

triplexpac posted:

Square should just go back to making SNES style RPGs if modern game development is so expensive. What are people going to do, stop buying Final Fantasy games?
Lightning Returns says yes, they were in danger of doing so.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Basically a gun that has a big ol' axe-shaped bayonet. The job also apparently has good in-battle support skills.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

triplexpac posted:

13 and 14 both worked pretty hard at that!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Harrow posted:

Basically a gun that has a big ol' axe-shaped bayonet. The job also apparently has good in-battle support skills.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the handle to the axe be the barrel and hollow out a space on the axe head where you can fit a trigger and grip in?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

triplexpac posted:

That's what they did with Final Fantasy Dimensions on mobile. I do not know how well it sold.

I don't see why they couldn't have a small team that does games like that on a continual basis and put on more platforms.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harlock posted:

That's what they did with Final Fantasy Dimensions on mobile. I do not know how well it sold.

I don't see why they couldn't have a small team that does games like that on a continual basis and put on more platforms.

But FF:D was also really bad in every respect aside from its Job system and was a mobile game with awful controls.

Bravely Default is probably a better example and that sold pretty well. I'd also like to see an HD sprite based game with more of a story/adventure focus like 4/6, I'd be surprised if something like that didn't sell well as a premium digital title

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

It's not nearly as bad as some people say.

It goes like this: Yes, Chapters 5 through 8 are repeats of what you've already done in Chapters 1 through 4, but in fast forward. That said, you can absolutely sail right through it by turning off random encounters and just beelining for the Crystals in each cycle. It's worth noting that the Asterisk bosses can be refought in each cycle and they're slightly different each time. In Chapter 6, fighting them all unlocks new scenes and the last new job. In Chapter 7, they team up in groups of three for some pretty fun fights and scenes. In Chapter 8, they team up in groups of four, have more fun new scenes, and are some great boss fights. Then, you can rematch them in different groups of four that are honestly pretty clever and some of those fights are hard as hell.

People tend to exaggerate how repetitive the end gets (unless they just didn't know they can turn off random encounters any time).

Bravely Default owns hard. My biggest complaint is that the dungeon design is pretty bland all the way through, but the boss fights (especially in the later chapters), job system, and dialogue more than make up for it.

This is very true. The dialogue is great:

Edit: Also Ringabel will always have a place in my heart. He's so fashionaaabluh:

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 20, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Madmarker posted:

Theres already a sword that is also a gun, why not an axe that is also a sword?

You mean an axe that is also a gun.

I think. :v:

Also axes that are also swords already exist in MH, that's a Switch-Axe :eng101: But Axe-Gun? I mean...

Next it'll be shotgun-chucks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Also axes that are also swords already exist in MH, that's a Switch-Axe :eng101: But Axe-Gun? I mean...

Bloodborne apparently has a rifle-spear.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Heh, I should have said an Axe, that is also a Gunblade.

Zaphod42 posted:

:eyepop:

Oh Please let it be so....

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Bloodborne apparently has a rifle-spear.

It also has a cane-whip. Bloodborne is gonna rule hardcore.

Madmarker posted:

Oh Please let it be so....

In DMC3 Dante had a special move if you went Gunslinger style with the shotgun where he'd whip it around his body, breaking the breech and reloading it as he flung it around himself like nunchucks. It was amazing and stupid and ridiculous, just like everything in DMC3. :allears:

I wish I had an animated gif...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
High five, people with Bravely Default in their top 5 from 2013. It was easily in mine as well.

Sunning posted:

The Japanese fiscal year runs from 1 April to 31 March. If this is an elaborate joke, it's in very poor taste.

It's more likely that Konami's management was more concerned with the rate Metal Gear games were coming out and their sales rather than who exactly was making them. MGS4 was a huge multi-team production that was delayed for six months. Its engine wasn't useable for other games or cross platform development. The Fox Engine was originally in development for Metal Gear Rising when it was still being developed within Konami. However, Rising was in development hell and would've been cancelled if it wasn't for Platinum Games. MGS5 was in development for five years. It required the creation of a new studio in Los Angeles.

From management's point of view, these were resources that could've gone into gambling/health/mobile gaming. KojiPro needs Konami to greenlight and fund their games. Konami no longer needs KojiPro in the current state they are in.

They're probably more concerned with KojiPro's lack of productivity over the last ten years, especially when compared to Western rivals, than if Kojima is willing to head another game. KojiPro is not a Rockstar North that can take five years to make a game that sells 40+ million copies. Besides, Konami is already going ahead with the Metal Gear series under new recruits.

Even if some fans are upset, most people will buy the games are good enough under a new team and meets the needs of a typical consumer. Metal Gear is intended to be a mainstream franchise with wide appeal. Most mainstream audiences play games to just pass the time or be a part of the conversation rather than get involved in the drama surrounding the production of the game. Dead Rising 2 was made from a different team than the original but most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Recently, Final Fantasy benefited from restructuring teams, kicking out old talent, and hiring new blood. What's interesting is that Konami has so openly talked about recruiting new talent for the Metal Gear series while this restructuring has been going on.

I'm just not sure I agree with all this. Kojima was a brand as much as a developer, enough that they're scrubbing that brand off of all their products with his departure. I'm not saying a yearly reskin won't sell but it eh, it's going to be interesting to see how it shakes out. I honestly have doubts about how serious they are with AAA games at this point. They've let so many relatively strong IPs languish. I'm just glad that quite a few developers from big companies have made it to escape shoots over the last few years and have been working on fun indie stuff.

That said, EA and other gaming mega corps can do all they want to keep other developers out of middle tier but without the innovation that tends to come out of smaller projects and new developers, they'd end up king of poo poo mountain.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

bloodychill posted:

High five, people with Bravely Default in their top 5 from 2013. It was easily in mine as well.

It came out in 2014 unless you are in Japan, but I am curious what other games goons had in the top 5 with Bravely Default. Since I can get behind a list with Bravely Default ranked highly, I want to make sure I didn't overlook anything great that year.

Edit: Nevermind, it came out at the very end of the year for AUS and EU.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 20, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ragequit posted:

It came out in 2014 unless you are in Japan, but I am curious what other games goons had in the top 5 with Bravely Default. Since I can get behind a list with Bravely Default ranked highly, I want to make sure I didn't overlook anything great that year.

Europe. My other top games of that year were Stanley Parable, Zelda Link Between Worlds, Final Fantasy 14 and Fire Emblem Awakening.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Edit: Nevermind, it came out at the very end of the year for AUS and EU.

Shin Megami Tensei IV, Dark Souls II, maybe Dragon Age: Inquisition (tons and tons of flaws but I enjoyed it a lot), probably Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Edit: Oh, wait, SMT4 was 2013. Um... man, I'm not sure what else was really good in 2014 that I actually played in 2014. I finally got a Wii U and Super Mario 3D World and Smash Bros. are awesome, but I didn't have those in 2014, so I guess those don't count.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2014 had some sweet-rear end games.

DSII, Bayonetta II, Shadow of Mordor, Shovel Knight, Dragon Age: Inqusition, Smash, BoI:R, ect. It wasn't an exceptional year though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh, I forgot Shadow of Mordor.

Shovel Knight and Bayonetta II are both awesome, but I played those in 2015 so they didn't end up on my Best of 2014 list.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Zaphod42 posted:

FFXIV's Garleans have a whole selection of gunweapons. Gaius von Baelsar uses a Gunblade, Nael Van Darnus uses a Gunlance, Livia Sas Junius has a pair of Gunbaghnaks (monk weapons), Rhitatyn Sas Arniva uses a pair of Tower Gunshields, Nero Tol Scaeva has a loving Gunhammer. It's just a gigantic loving revolver cylinder mounted on a six foot pole

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Bravely Default, Curtain Call, Dragonfall, Destiny (I know I know, but I mean I enjoyed it...), Divinity: Original Sin. I still haven't finished DA:I so I can't rank it yet. Honorable mention to MK8. That was a lot of fun.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rei_ posted:

FFXIV's Garleans have a whole selection of gunweapons. Gaius von Baelsar uses a Gunblade, Nael Van Darnus uses a Gunlance, Livia Sas Junius has a pair of Gunbaghnaks (monk weapons), Rhitatyn Sas Arniva uses a pair of Tower Gunshields, Nero Tol Scaeva has a loving Gunhammer. It's just a gigantic loving revolver cylinder mounted on a six foot pole

How the gently caress did you spell all those names

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat, Cindy is a stone cold fox.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

victrix posted:

How the gently caress did you spell all those names

You see those fellows quite a bit.

Also those names are small-time compared to the leader of Limsa Lominsa, admiral Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Obviously Swedish Chef came up with all the FF 14 names.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bloodychill posted:

I'm just not sure I agree with all this. Kojima was a brand as much as a developer

This is reason enough to reel him in or cut him loose if you're Konami. Having his name "presents" MGS would be reason enough to tell him to cut the ego or get out.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Type 0 C6 spoilers

Holy poo poo Alexander :stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rei_ posted:

I did play XIV and I liked the Garleans style for sure. Gaius is pretty much Darth Vader, and yeah Nero's hammer is a revolver cylinder. Fantastically over the top and anime in the good ways.

Kanfy posted:

You see those fellows quite a bit.

Also those names are small-time compared to the leader of Limsa Lominsa, admiral Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn.

I only know how to pronounce that because the game had voice acting. My best guess is that they combined funny bits of multiple different languages, because what the gently caress :v:

(Its Merl-web Boffles-wain)

Sakurazuka posted:

Obviously Swedish Chef came up with all the FF 14 names.

This explains so much.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rei_ posted:

Don't forget that somewhere along the way Nero gets a regular gunblade that he ends up throwing at a mook in a cutscene. Despite no one ever having to reload those things ever.

Them cribbing the FFXII empire look was the best idea they had.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Sunning posted:

Have you entertained the possibility that the big publishers are happy with the direction with the industry was heading? Even if publishers suffer alongside developers and consumers, they do get the added benefit of security. In many markets, big players are often willing to sacrifice profits to maintain stability. They do this by raising the costs of operating in the market. We often see this in industries such as oil drilling, telecommunications, and even Hollywood. If the cost of entering the market is high, then you're unlikely to see disruptive companies enter the AAA console gaming market.

If you look at the top selling games in North America for each year for the last five years, you'll probably see Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo or Destiny/Madden/Just Dance/Assassin's Creed. This generation, we'll see remasters of last generation games for consoles that don't have backwards compatibility. Consumers may not like the lack of variety but publishers appreciate the predictability of the market. The strategy is to simply make keep making the same types of games for the next year until the brand dies and you kill the development team.

A rising tide will drown the small players and prevent them from challenging big publishers. Eventually, it will drown a big player like THQ. When that happens, the rest of the publishers feast on its corpse. This predictability is why we never saw serious support for the PC or Nintendo consoles. It's very frightening for a AAA publisher to see a market where a garage developer (Mojang) or a licensed game by small publisher (Jillian Michael's Fitness Ultimatum by Majesco) can become serious competition.
I've entertained the possibility that investors saw the success of Warcraft and decided that the studio needs to make an IP-flavored Warcraft. Exchange Minecraft with any ultra-successful game concept throughout gaming history. Investors want to know why (insert gaming company here) isn't heavily invested in mobile/freemium games when they are in the business of making games. Same syndrome that led to a million attempts at trying to steal World of Warcraft's thunder with an IP-flavored MMO clone instead of producing KotOR 3 or The Elder Scrolls 6: Hammerfell.

"You're not making us boatloads of money with AAA anymore, so you're going to do it our way now. And we say develop (flavor of the day). Do it and make a ton of money in the process, or we fire you and find another CEO who will."

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 21, 2015

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Played some Type-0. The gameplay is a bit brainless. I'm currently on Officer, should I kick it up to Agito, or does that just get stupid? Holy gently caress there's a ton of characters. Do I just find three I like and focus on leveling them?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Played some Type-0. The gameplay is a bit brainless. I'm currently on Officer, should I kick it up to Agito, or does that just get stupid? Holy gently caress there's a ton of characters. Do I just find three I like and focus on leveling them?

Six, you need two parties later.

And nah, upping the difficulty just raises enemy levels, which makes them annoying bullet sponges that are lethal to you and require killsights to kill effectively.

It's pretty mediocre overall honestly, ignoring the stupid camera stuff. The setting is cool, but the exploration and minute to minute gameplay are eh.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

drat, Cindy is a stone cold fox.

Gladiolus' face when she 'misinterpreted' his invitation was brilliant.

It might be a bit rough around the edges, but the facial animation is some of the best I've seen. The ending to infamous First Light is definitely up there, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

All Agito (and Finis) does is mean "you have to Killsight everything."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

That loving Sned posted:

Gladiolus' face when she 'misinterpreted' his invitation was brilliant.

Is there a video of this? It sounds great.