Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hobbesmaster posted:

All the DLC was cancelled though so we can't be certain.

The whole "...and the other guys!!" Ark was such a dumb idea, because the Volus have their own esoteric atmospheric poo poo to deal with that's way off anything anyone else might consider a "Golden World", and why the gently caress would a sustainable-colony-sized group of Quarians wants to go anywhere that isn't Rannoch? Not to mention the kind of resources needed for building the Ark wouldn't go anywhere but the Migrant Fleet, and their compromised immune systems. If the Milky Way Galaxy at-large makes them a bit sick, Andromeda would just be outright-lethal to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BexGu posted:

SO FAR. The game, DLC, books, comics, etc all got canned before anything stupid could really happen.

Didn't they still follow up on the Quarian Ark in a book? What about the murder mystery/possible Cerberus presence on the Human Ark?

Those were really the only two things I even gave a poo poo about after MEA.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also the Migrant Fleet is barely considered legal in council space why the gently caress would the Andromeda project even consider bringing those untrustworthy Quarians into the project? The only places that seem to tolerate the migrant fleet are the terminus systems because they know they can exploit the poo poo out of Quarians on pilgrimage without council harassment over workplace rights.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also the Migrant Fleet is barely considered legal in council space why the gently caress would the Andromeda project even consider bringing those untrustworthy Quarians into the project? The only places that seem to tolerate the migrant fleet are the terminus systems because they know they can exploit the poo poo out of Quarians on pilgrimage without council harassment over workplace rights.

It would certainly have made a lot more sense in a post-Reaper galactic society that the Quarian fleet helped survive!

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 14, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halloween Jack posted:

This is the entire basis of Tekumel, one of first roleplaying games to exist.

That setting sounds cool as hell

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So I'm looking at reinstalling and playing through the trilogy for the first time in years, and the stumbling block is ME2 - I have 1 on Steam and 3 through Origin, but I still have 2 on physical discs that also demand hunting down the website with the DLC and manually downloading and installing each item of DLC.

I heard mention from a friend that there might be a way to use my serial code to unlock a digital version of the game in Steam or Origin. Anyone know more about that?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

That setting sounds cool as hell
It's the only game I know of with leather swords.

(They don't have much metal, but they have treated lizard hide...)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

So I'm looking at reinstalling and playing through the trilogy for the first time in years, and the stumbling block is ME2 - I have 1 on Steam and 3 through Origin, but I still have 2 on physical discs that also demand hunting down the website with the DLC and manually downloading and installing each item of DLC.

I heard mention from a friend that there might be a way to use my serial code to unlock a digital version of the game in Steam or Origin. Anyone know more about that?

Assuming you used the same EA account when you first installed ME2, you should be able to just plug that code right into Origin.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with the ~dramatic destruction~ of the Mass Effect relays is there are going to be literally thousands of remote installations (if not more) that are utterly doomed to a slow death with them gone. It's a terrible idea that should've never been done, because Mac Walters didn't put more than ten seconds of thought into how cool it'd look for an ending. Nevermind the original version with them detonating spectacularly in a way that everyone except Mac Walters knew meant that all the major solar systems just went bye-bye.

The first game's scenario is stopping the murder robots from outer outer space from murdering everyone. The second game is padding -cool, fun padding- but still padding. The third game is stopping the murder robots from outer outer space from murdering everyone. Unfortunately, despite Bioware's constant fellating of the player and their *massive agency*, the only thing to be done against the murder robots from outer outer space who locked down the galaxy at the dawn or time or whatever is to sabotage them somehow by jumping in the machinery and causing a lot of collateral damage, including to the player's ego.

Or there could be a super lovely Deus Ex Machina how Shepard and her huge dong of Agency saved us all by going super sayan and punching harbinger in the nose, like the ending of One Punch Man (the only good anime.

Cythereal posted:

I have all three digitally on the 360, and they all work fine on my Xbone without any kind of loving around, so... :shobon:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Or there could be a super lovely Deus Ex Machina how Shepard and her huge dong of Agency saved us all by going super sayan and punching harbinger in the nose, like the ending of One Punch Man (the only good anime.

It would have been a neat idea if the crucible was some sort of beacon that called forth an even more powerful, dark lovecraftian creature that immediately consumed every reaper and also something like 1/3 of the alliance ships and like 200 random stars.

Just gone. And then you're left there, wondering, holy poo poo, what was that? Is that coming back? Did we make things even worse?

Edit: Oh yeah, and everyone and everything that was indoctrinated explodes into vile black acidic goo.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 14, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone ages ago had the excellent idea that the crucible should have taken the shape of Shepard's head and right arm.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll give Andromeda this; at least the reapers didn't show up. The writers had that much self control at least

they were 100 percent showing up trailing the dang Quarian ark

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The first game's scenario is stopping the murder robots from outer outer space from murdering everyone. The second game is padding -cool, fun padding- but still padding. The third game is stopping the murder robots from outer outer space from murdering everyone. Unfortunately, despite Bioware's constant fellating of the player and their *massive agency*, the only thing to be done against the murder robots from outer outer space who locked down the galaxy at the dawn or time or whatever is to sabotage them somehow by jumping in the machinery and causing a lot of collateral damage, including to the player's ego.

The other problem is that ME3 kept harping on that relay that exploded in The Arrival taking out the entire system. Apparently bioware didn’t mean for the players to infer that the explosions at the end of the game would do that as well but they did a real poo poo job of it if that was the case. My first thought when I got the high readiness ending was that I just blew up dozens or hundreds of inhabited star systems.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

they were 10,000,000 percent showing up trailing the dang Quarian ark

ftfy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ashpanash posted:

It would have been a neat idea if the crucible was some sort of beacon that called forth an even more powerful, dark lovecraftian creature that immediately consumed every reaper and also something like 1/3 of the alliance ships and like 200 random stars.

Just gone. And then you're left there, wondering, holy poo poo, what was that? Is that coming back? Did we make things even worse?

Edit: Oh yeah, and everyone and everything that was indoctrinated explodes into vile black acidic goo.

What they should've done with War Readiness is use it as an ending route. The Crucible's a bust, but everyone's united and holding their own against the Reapers. Let's do this the hard way and just shoot them all. :black101:.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
you want to be rewarded for your efforts?

wow loving entitled much???

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

its me, im the video games journalist from 2012

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Normandy SR2 two shotted a Collector ship kitted out with Reaper technology that was at least as big as a Reaper or larger. Just put Thanix cannons on Normandy sized frigates and have them dart around the Reapers wrecking face.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Normandy SR2 two shotted a Collector ship kitted out with Reaper technology that was at least as big as a Reaper or larger. Just put Thanix cannons on Normandy sized frigates and have them dart around the Reapers wrecking face.

Nah, the Collector ship was stated to only be the size of a cruiser in the game's opening cutscene.

Which, admittedly, makes no sense when you see that thing from the inside.

The volus dreadnought is described as being armed with nothing but Thanix cannons. Wish we got to see that in action.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
All bioware had to do was stick the landing on a couple of extremely generic ending choices, give you some feedback about how your choices impacted the galaxy, and people would have remembered the Mass Effect Trilogy in hushed tones. Mac Walters and his lots of speculation crap is one of the most memorable and stupid failures I've ever seen in a game series.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What they should've done with War Readiness is use it as an ending route. The Crucible's a bust, but everyone's united and holding their own against the Reapers. Let's do this the hard way and just shoot them all. :black101:.

I've argued this before, having your mobilization effort actually matter is much better than the whole thing hinging on building a wunderwaffe when we don't actually know what it does.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A noble idea but the one area where the narrative actually managed to be consistent across all three games was "No one is a match for the Reapers." They have been amassing power for longer than any civilization has existed.

It kinda reminds me of Lord of the Rings. Sauron has been gathering strength for so long that there is absolutely no way to conventionally beat him.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

A noble idea but the one area where the narrative actually managed to be consistent across all three games was "No one is a match for the Reapers." They have been amassing power for longer than any civilization has existed.

It kinda reminds me of Lord of the Rings. Sauron has been gathering strength for so long that there is absolutely no way to conventionally beat him.

While this is true, the other moment of narrative consistency throughout the games was Shepherd being told something is impossible, and doing it anyway.

e: well, consistent until you encounter starchild

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It also makes one wonder why they needed the Citadel trap when the Reapers could've just caught everyone with their pants down anyway.

The implication, of course, is that the Reapers weren't as god-like as they claimed and required the Citadel trap, that there was something bad about slowboating in from dark space.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I think the Citadel thing was partially for ease of cleanup.

Like, if you leave lines of sugar trailing to a big pile on the floor, you'll have an easier time tracking down the ants.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Clawtopsy posted:

I think the Citadel thing was partially for ease of cleanup.

Like, if you leave lines of sugar trailing to a big pile on the floor, you'll have an easier time tracking down the ants.

And we do know at least one past cycle has managed to kill a Reaper. Considering apparently only one Reaper is created per cycle (I'm guessing that was meant to be one Sovereign-class capital ship, and destroyers are made from the other harvested races each cycle), they don't have a lot of room for error to keep their numbers growing.

The Citadel always becomes the heart of interstellar civilization and government, so it's always the first thing to go followed by the mass relays going offline from the Citadel's master control (makes you wonder why the Reapers didn't gun for the Citadel immediately in 3). Whatever civilization has arisen in the galaxy is instantly decapitated and divided, significantly reducing the possibility that anyone will come up with a weapon that can kill a Reaper.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

Sauron was only able to amass so much power because following the war of the last alliance and the wars in the north Middle Earth was pretty much a post apocalyptic hellscape with a few civilizations living among the ruins of the old kingdoms. Compared to the colossal wars of the past, the War of the Ring was frankly rather limited. You could technically argue that everything following the War of Wrath was a comedown from that apocalyptic showdown and the war of the ring was the equivalent of fighting over table scraps.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It also makes one wonder why they needed the Citadel trap when the Reapers could've just caught everyone with their pants down anyway.

The implication, of course, is that the Reapers weren't as god-like as they claimed and required the Citadel trap, that there was something bad about slowboating in from dark space.

The Citadel funnels every iteration of civilization into a pattern that's easy for the Reapers to exploit.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

The Citadel funnels every iteration of civilization into a pattern that's easy for the Reapers to exploit.

Why do they need to do this?

Remember, the Reapers operate on an exacting timeframe.

(Besides, the Mass Relays are what funnel civilization into a pattern, not the Citadel)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

like no one just sets up such an elaborate trap and plan 'just because', and immortal god-battleships don't really need to care about 'easy'

more to the point, ME1 suggests that the reapers harvest at an optimal time to receive enhancements. technology and resources. like a profit/risk margin. hence the need for the citadel.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
They could have easily written a story focused around, say, the Crucible inverting the Citadel trap to gently caress up the Reapers when they tried to use it. Follow that up with a space battle around the Citadel which is won or lost based on your readiness. Call back to ME1 ending, have another gunfight on the Citadel where you get to see the results of your preparation. There were a lot of non terrible options available even if you insist on using a mcguffin to defeat the Reapers because they can't be beaten in a straight fight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The McGuffin is so bad because it once again trivializes how big the reaper threat is by ending the harvest in under a year. Way more ballsy would be a generations long conflict with the Reapers where we can see the losses over time and watch the Heroes get increasingly desperate, until they put their faith in a hail mary last shot McGuffin that say, Cerberus has been working on for decades. They'd have gone dark after ME2 and hoped to wait out the reaper war working in the crucible and then springing it when it was the right moment to establish human dominance in the postwar galaxy.

Instead we get Cerberus acting at their most extreme idiocy, a citadel that is never assaulted by a reaper armada until suddenly "citadel over earth and all aboard are dead", and the Reapers throwing down over earth which they have failed to capture for months despite crushing most resistance in one day.

Also have Earth fall to the Reapers. The Take Back Earth ad campaign and focus of the games climax flies in the face of the original game's focus on diversity over human superiority. But humans are the bestest ever so they all go to help Earth first because we're important.

Hell, the time jumps from DA2 could have worked really well here.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Why do they need to do this?

Remember, the Reapers operate on an exacting timeframe.

(Besides, the Mass Relays are what funnel civilization into a pattern, not the Citadel)

They do it because the Reapers can throw a switch in the Citadel that turns off the Mass Relays for everyone except the Reapers, while the Mass Relays ensure that every civilization's technology and capabilities develop along predictable lines that the Reapers are confident they can beat - including relying on the Mass Relays that the Reapers can turn off.

Which really begs the question why the Reapers didn't bulldoze a road right for the Citadel in ME3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because they had to wait until the final act to realize that the fleet surrounding the citadel wouldn't stand a chance against the armada slowly chipping away at earth.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sauron was only able to amass so much power because following the war of the last alliance and the wars in the north Middle Earth was pretty much a post apocalyptic hellscape with a few civilizations living among the ruins of the old kingdoms. Compared to the colossal wars of the past, the War of the Ring was frankly rather limited. You could technically argue that everything following the War of Wrath was a comedown from that apocalyptic showdown and the war of the ring was the equivalent of fighting over table scraps.

I'm aware, I also read The Silmarillion. The Host of the Valar should have dragged him back to Valinor for judgment and saved Middle-earth a lot of headaches. And of course Numenor wrecked him in the Second Age.

But all that cool stuff is gone by the Third Age with the exception of Durin's Bane and Shelob. Between his personal power and military strength, everyone on the continent was hosed unless Frodo destroyed the Ring.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While the films reverse it, it's pretty telling that the army he threw against Minas Tirith was specifically described by Tolkien as being "not the greatest force that ever sallied forth from Mordor". So while the movie has the 200 000 strong juggernaut at pellennor fields and only 10 000 at Morannon, in the books the army he pitted against Gondor was a fraction of his true strength.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Clawtopsy posted:

its me, im the video games journalist from 2012

Urgh This was an insufferable period of games journalism to be sure

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Moola posted:

Urgh This was an insufferable period of games journalism to be sure

are you trying to censor artistic vision because you didnt get a happy ending you big manbaby bro person?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I'm not sure how feasible it is to exclaim how Not Mad you are when rehashing a videogame argument from six years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mass Effect 3 should've ended on Shepard looking at the camera and saying "Now that was a mass... effect."