Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Newsbusters has the smuggest drat headlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Chucks predicament is extra cool because he can make all the dumbass twitter accounts he wants but he can't do the one thing he wants to do with them: make chuck c johnson famous

I like that Chuck apparently feels he is entitled to a Twitter account. The market has spoken, Chuck, and it said, "gently caress You!"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

GOP is really coasting on something they did 150 years ago.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Radish posted:

GOP is really coasting on something they did 150 years ago.

Wasn't the party system significantly different during that time period?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Takoluka posted:

Yup. The binary shift occuring in the 60's during the Civil Rights Movement. So Republicans today were basically the Democrats that would have supported the Confederates.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It definitely was. It would be more honest really to go along regional lines than party in regards to racial equality amendments since everything restructured. For instance the 13th amendment was passed when the Southern states were out trying to succeed from the union. Likewise during the voting for the 15th amendment the South was primarily Democrats.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 12, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
... What significance does the bear in the middle have?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He's knows it's bullshit and is yelling in rage. That or he's getting ready to eat an atheist.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

I think its a gay pride thing.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Keeshhound posted:

It's from Sarah Palin's facebook, don'cha know.

And the comments on it are surprisingly critical of her.

bpower posted:

I think its a gay pride thing.

But this works too.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Takoluka posted:

For the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments, replace Republican with Liberal, and Democrat with Conservative. For Obamacare, replace Republican with Conservative, Democrat with Liberal.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

For the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments, replace Republican with Liberal, and Democrat with Conservative. For Obamacare, replace Republican with Conservative, Democrat with Liberal.

Is there any major documentation on this? I need to argue with people on Facebook.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Takoluka posted:

Is there any major documentation on this? I need to argue with people on Facebook.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Takoluka posted:

Yeah, the entire political history of the United States. For a bunch of people who love to believe that they're historical experts, between US History and the Bible, it's clear that they've never actually read anything.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Could you just compare the representatives' voting record by state for each of those votes? The states should probably line up pretty well (Deep South all vote against abolishing slavery, vote against Obamacare, etc).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pretty much. You can look at the record and it's pretty much the South votes against these things consistently. You can see it more recently with the CRA; politicians in the South overwhelmingly voted against it. What that macro is inadvertently pointing out is that the parties don't really matter, it's just that the South is historically very much against things that help minorities.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Be prepared for them to say, straight up, that the Dixiecrat switch is a liberal lie.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Show them lists of the representatives then ask what facilitated the change from the northern Republicans that passed all those amendments and the current situation of Southern and midwest states with Republican governments and reps. They won't admit anything but with luck people will read it and learn something.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Your facts are interpreted as lies by their brains.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I actually have the voting record, by regional (northern and southern) and party lines on hand:

House
Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)
Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)

Senate
Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%)
Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%)
Northern Democrats: 45–1 (98–2%)
Northern Republicans: 27–5 (84–16%)

Lookie here, Democrats across the board still voted for it in higher proportions than the GOP.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I use this link and point out how the South voted Democratic until 1964 and (barring 2 Southern Democrats running for President), it has voted consistently republican since.

http://www.270towin.com/historical-presidential-elections/

I was then told that this does not prove anything, the Southern Strategy was made up by liberals to make it seem like conservatives are racist, the Lee Atwater quote was made up by a liberal, Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms did not hold much power in the Republican Party and they were just concerned with too much federal power and wanted to protect state's rights, and that Robert Byrd was a Democrat and a KKK member.

Yep, be prepared to have all your information ignored no matter what you post.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
On top the ridiculousness of pretending the Republicans of the 1800's are the same party as the modern Republicans, as if the 60's never happened, pre modern era politics, there wasn't a liberal/conservative split between the two. There were conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans. If you were a North East Republican in the 50's, you were probably a liberal, and if you were a southern Democrat...well David Duke ran as a Southern Democrat.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I use this link and point out how the South voted Democratic until 1964 and (barring 2 Southern Democrats running for President), it has voted consistently republican since.

http://www.270towin.com/historical-presidential-elections/

I was then told that this does not prove anything, the Southern Strategy was made up by liberals to make it seem like conservatives are racist, the Lee Atwater quote was made up by a liberal, Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms did not hold much power in the Republican Party and they were just concerned with too much federal power and wanted to protect state's rights, and that Robert Byrd was a Democrat and a KKK member.

Yep, be prepared to have all your information ignored no matter what you post.

The audio of the Atwater quote was released.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Beamed posted:

Faked. Lieberal lies.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fair enough. Thanks for the links, though!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You are never going to convince idiots that think the Southern aristocracy were the victims in the Civil War or that the GOP are both the greatest friend of minorities but for some weird reason seem to vote against them for the last 30-40 years. However there are people reading it that might be able to think critically past the white washed history that you get where it's impolite to point of uncomfortable truths about American history (and not the neo-segregationist "truths" either).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Beamed posted:

Yep, but that could have been anyone pretending to be him. Atwater never gave a video press conference admitting that it was him saying that so it will be denied as being real.

I realized then that even if we had video proof, it would be denied as being under duress, forced or some other reason.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can't reason with people who are conspiracy theorists. They haven't reasoned themselves into whatever they believe, and they'll rebuke whatever you present as some grand conspiracy that's suppressing the REAL truth.

Everything's a conspiracy, forever.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Chuck Johnson tried to get back on twitter and was banned

8 Suspensions

He also took a picture of him in front of the Twitter HQ

The best part about all of this is that the only thing that kept him alive was twitter and now he can never get it back and anytime he tries to do it, he gets suspended even quicker.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/44716_Ouch!_Chuck_Johnsons_Latest_Attempt_to_Sneak_Back_Onto_Twitter_Is_Denied

Why does his face always look like it's been copied and pasted from another picture?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SedanChair posted:

Why does his face always look like it's been copied and pasted from another picture?

Even his face appears embarrassed to be associated with him.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

District Selectman posted:

On top the ridiculousness of pretending the Republicans of the 1800's are the same party as the modern Republicans, as if the 60's never happened, pre modern era politics, there wasn't a liberal/conservative split between the two. There were conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans. If you were a North East Republican in the 50's, you were probably a liberal, and if you were a southern Democrat...well David Duke ran as a Southern Democrat.

Just point out that Lincoln was a liberal. Lincoln was literally as important and as major a liberal (in the progressive/soft left sense of the term) president as any other in the country's history, as important as either Roosevelt, Wilson, or Johnson was. Not just in ending slavery, but on a shitload of topics including economics, politics, society, etc. Stick to the fact that Lincoln's politics were antithetical to the modern GOP and to Lincoln's person and if/when they start calling him a niggerloving tyrant then you're freed of your obligation to debate them honestly

Abe Lincoln posted:

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.

Lincoln signed the Homestead Act which sold government owned land at below market prices to poor people so they could afford it, he greatly expanded public spending on education and infrastructure, he created the first income tax, and a progressively graded one at that, to pay for these programs and the war, and had an expansionary, inflationary monetary policy along with greater federal control over the banking system.

It is almost 100% guaranteed that the people you're debating would have considered Lincoln a Kenyan Marxist Muslim had they been alive at the time, even completely ignoring the whole slavery and war thing

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 12, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Lincoln is one of the greatest Republican presidents but for some reason I'm kinda glad he got shot..."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Just point out that Lincoln was a liberal. Lincoln was literally as important and as major a liberal (in the progressive/soft left sense of the term) president as any other in the country's history, as important as either Roosevelt, Wilson, or Johnson was. Not just in ending slavery, but on a shitload of topics including economics, politics, society, etc. Stick to the fact that Lincoln's politics were antithetical to the modern GOP and to Lincoln's person and if/when they start calling him a niggerloving tyrant then you're freed of your obligation to debate them honestly

Lincoln signed the Homestead Act which sold government owned land at below market prices to poor people so they could afford it, he greatly expanded public spending on education and infrastructure, he created the first income tax, and a progressively graded one at that, to pay for these programs and the war, and had an expansionary, inflationary monetary policy along with greater federal control over the banking system.

It is almost 100% guaranteed that the people you're debating would have considered Lincoln a Kenyan Marxist Muslim had they been alive at the time, even completely ignoring the whole slavery and war thing

He was also a filthy moderate who didn't want to go as far in Reconstruction so people here would probably hate him if he actually lived through his second term.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

computer parts posted:

He was also a filthy moderate who didn't want to go as far in Reconstruction so people here would probably hate him if he actually lived through his second term.

If Recontruction hadn't gone as far as it did immediately, it might have had longer-lasting gains.

(Gay-black-hitler).

Ben Shapiro is losing his goddamn mind over Rachel Dolezal. I don't think he's ever been happier.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
The Southern Strategy has become well-known enough now that lots of conservatives have heard of it... and will point-blank deny that it happened, sometimes while citing Robert Byrd as a "lifelong Democrat and KKK member." Which leaves out how he started his career in congress in 1953 (i.e., back when the Democrats were the conservative party), and renounced his racism later in life, to the point where for one session of congress the NAACP found he'd voted in line with their recommendations 100% of the time.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
There's also the argument to be made that moral right and wrong have nothing to do with the names of political parties. Who gives a poo poo what people call themselves or what label they inherited from 150 years ago? What matters is what actual values people are fighting for now. Trying to claim the accomplishments of someone who's been dead for a century for your "team" is fairly idiotic.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The love child of Phil Fish and Al Borland from Home Improvement.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Supraluminal posted:

There's also the argument to be made that moral right and wrong have nothing to do with the names of political parties. Who gives a poo poo what people call themselves or what label they inherited from 150 years ago? What matters is what actual values people are fighting for now. Trying to claim the accomplishments of someone who's been dead for a century for your "team" is fairly idiotic.

It's a team sport mentality. People who weren't even alive then are fans of Joe DiMaggio and Babe Ruth. Gotta pay respect to your all-stars bro.
It's not going to go away until you convince people that the stakes for picking a lovely team are somewhat higher than, "What matters is that my team's congressman won! In your face, you effeminate, latte-sipping, limp-wristed wimps."

You know how it seems they've never actually read the Bible or the Constitution/American history when you scrutinize their arguing points?
I'm more than willing to bet they've never read the policy positions of the team they vote straight ticket for, either.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oh boy, this is going to be a fun news day:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/12/us/washington-spokane-naacp-rachel-dolezal-identity/index.html

Apparently an NAACP local chapter leader was in fact a white woman. My Facebook feed is blowing up with "cute" racist explanations on how she was outed.