Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Morpheus posted:

Dunno who that is. Bad DM guy?

Mike Mearls is one of the designers of DND 3rd edition and one of two leads on its fifth edition. I don't catalog the things he has said or done, but I'm sure someone who spends a lot of time in Trad Games could explain why he has a negative reputation.

I get him confused sometimes with Monte Cook, who iirc is a believer of "system mastery" and when he worked on DnD was proud that he put trap options in the game to catch "bad" players.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Jul 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

New Leaf posted:

I'm watching a playthrough, not playing myself, but I understand it. If you had monsters and no combat, it's survival horror, which is different. If you had very light combat, you'd wonder why you had it at all. If you had no monsters at all, you wouldn't have Lovecraftian horror. I get what you're saying, but they chose a "mainstream" path.

At first I thought this was also about Pokemon, and man, lemme tell you that painted a heck of a picture.

I'm playing Judgement right now, and I'm looking at the 'Kamurogo' thing, which is basically a series of challenges, thinking "huh maybe I can do these" and then I find that they have like five times the amount of challenges for mahjong than any other activity in the game. Great. Guess I'm not completing it. loving gambling in video games isn't fun (though at least mahjong), and neither is having to win mahjong at the three (!) locations around town in a variety of ways, multiple times, something that for some absurd reason the devs keep putting in every single Yakuza (or Yakuza-adjacent) game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

oldpainless posted:

I got the game “Inside” on Xbox and just beat it and have no idea what was going on. I mean, I get like what I did on screen but all the backstory or details/explanation I have missed out on.

There's not much of a plot or backstory to get. You can put some things together if you pay attention to the details like the general design of the underwater area or find the secret ending. But its ultimately nothing concrete and open to each player's interpretation. Much like Limbo and Little Nightmares, its intended to be more of an experience you play through than a traditional game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The fact that most Cultist Simulator guides instead of actually explaining things just vaguely talk around mechanics because "the discovery is the fun part!" And not for me it isn't. Instead of being fun it's awful and tedious and I don't think I'm actually accomplishing anything. But nah it's fine don't explain mechanics in you "guide"

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Len posted:

The fact that most Cultist Simulator guides instead of actually explaining things just vaguely talk around mechanics because "the discovery is the fun part!" And not for me it isn't. Instead of being fun it's awful and tedious and I don't think I'm actually accomplishing anything. But nah it's fine don't explain mechanics in you "guide"

Honestly, this is the truth. Once you've figured out how everything works the game turns into a massively tedious slog.
If you're not enjoying the discovery, I hope you at least enjoy the lore because there's not much else in store for you with this one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Poulpe posted:

Honestly, this is the truth. Once you've figured out how everything works the game turns into a massively tedious slog.
If you're not enjoying the discovery, I hope you at least enjoy the lore because there's not much else in store for you with this one.

What lore? I'm just doing the same four actions over and over because it keeps wanting me to combine things with other things and I don't have the other things or know where to find the other things.

Somehow I can recruit guys for my cult but gently caress if that makes any sense.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Len posted:

What lore? I'm just doing the same four actions over and over because it keeps wanting me to combine things with other things and I don't have the other things or know where to find the other things.

Somehow I can recruit guys for my cult but gently caress if that makes any sense.

Once you start getting into the really occult stuff, rituals and dream exploration and tokens of the occult, the cards start to have lore packed flavor text. That's really all you can expect though- there's not much of a story as much as "this stuff exists in this world and here are little snippets about it"

Essentially, the main gameplay loop is keeping yourself healthy and making money to afford your experiments. Once you have that loop sorted (and it literally never goes away by the way) you can start exploring with weird combinations of cards/actions to see what the game/cult is capable of. That's really where most of the "fun" is.

Poulpe has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Jul 4, 2019

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Alexis Kennedy is a great writer in desperate need of a good game designer.

Actually, that's not entirely fair because Cultist Simulator achieves exactly what it intends. Its just that what it intends is obnoxious and annoying and only going to appeal to a small niche of people. Which, again, exactly what it intends.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Len posted:

Cultist Simulator is purposely opaque as part of its design, and a ton of the guides try to mimic that style despite it being the exact loving opposite point of a guide. it took me three different tries to find out the alternative way to get rid of the Glover brothers because everyone kept just saying "There may be alternative routes..." you're a guide WHAT ARE THEY.

For anyone interested, a follower with Grail will seduce him and get him fired for a scandal, and failing doesnt create Notoriety so you can just keep throwing the follower at them until it succeeds.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

1stGear posted:

Alexis Kennedy is a great writer in desperate need of a good game designer.

Actually, that's not entirely fair because Cultist Simulator achieves exactly what it intends. Its just that what it intends is obnoxious and annoying and only going to appeal to a small niche of people. Which, again, exactly what it intends.

No, I agree with your original statement. For example, in my post above, there is no reason you shouldn't be able automate the "basic survival" process once you've solved it, or any process in the game really. It's exhausting busy work that serves no purpose and isn't satisfying to play. There's a reason the game itself encourages you to cheat.

Danaru posted:

For anyone interested, a follower with Grail will seduce him and get him fired for a scandal, and failing doesnt create Notoriety so you can just keep throwing the follower at them until it succeeds.
Or you can just have a knife cultist murder them, whatever works! :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Poulpe posted:

Or you can just have a knife cultist murder them, whatever works! :v:

I did that the first time, and almost immediately got investigated. The detective pulls in the notoriety, pulls in the corpse, performs his investigation... and doesnt manage to come up with any evidence :v: he even let me keep the corpse Cultist Simulator owns

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wouldn't mind a version of these Failbetter-games that I always refund if they were turn-based and not overly dependant on grinding and rng.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Danaru posted:

Cultist Simulator is purposely opaque as part of its design, and a ton of the guides try to mimic that style despite it being the exact loving opposite point of a guide. it took me three different tries to find out the alternative way to get rid of the Glover brothers because everyone kept just saying "There may be alternative routes..." you're a guide WHAT ARE THEY.

Right? I wouldn't be looking for something that tells me how to actually advance if I understood how and not explaining it is some poo poo rear end design from the guide writer. At least they're all written guides and not a 20 minute YouTube video that doesn't explain anything and then asks me to like and subscribe

At least they're all

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I remembered that I claimed Cultist Simulator through Twitch and played it long enough to discover that some of the text is smaller than a mouse cursor no matter how big I made the UI or how hard I clicked the accessibility options so I uninstalled it

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Morpheus posted:

At first I thought this was also about Pokemon, and man, lemme tell you that painted a heck of a picture.

Thing dragging games down: there's no official Pokemon horror game that uses in-game lore to be scary (as opposed to fan games about haunted cartridge bullshit) GameFreak you cowards! :argh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Pokemon is already a horror game, as you'll discover in my 780 part Youtube series

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Wheres my Pokemon game where you murder people to get some ghost types?!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

I choose you, Cthulhu!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Len posted:

I played it for 1.5 hours, watched a few videos and then decided to refund it. It was not fun, just tedious.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Far Cry 2: great fun but...

Travel - why are 9/10 missions on the opposite side of the map from where I triggered them?

Weapons - so many to choose from but, as far as I can see, only one loadout makes automatic weapon/long range/explosive weapon possible.

Running - I get it. I have malaria. But I’d like to be able to run more than four feet without literally blacking out.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Far Cry 2 has lot of cut-content which would explain why the map is too big, the small variety of wild-life, and why all NPCs are hostile and respawn immediately.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Katana Zero has a secret final boss, which you trigger by maximally pissing off your psychiatrist/handler. This mostly involves interrupting him and being antagonistic in your conversations a lot, and it also involves failing a stealth section and killing some cops, both in that level and in another place, who are just responding to your voilence and not involved in anything nefarious. And you going on extra rampages and being rewarded for it doesn't really seem like what the game's plot is going for, I think.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm still working through the SMT Strange Journey remake, and while it's still overall fun, the dungeon design is hitting a point where aggravation is starting to overshadow the fun. I like the square-by-square automapping setup, and it makes sense that they'd have to get more convoluted as you progress. But then they start doing long autoscrolling floors, multilevel dungeons with blind pits dropping you down a floor, and substantial sections wandering in the dark where you can't see and your map doesn't work.

Any one is doable on its own, but eventually they all combine into a slog. I just gave up and started looking at maps, and it's like, I have to blindly stumble through all these together in multiple loops through four floors if I'm doing it on my own to find the next plot point? Thaaaaat's about my breaking point :effort:

e: OK, after just gamefaqs-ing my way through multiple floors they eventually give you a tool to see in dark corridors, but that seems like almost Trumpian levels of solving problems you yourself created so I'm still angry :colbert:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Jul 6, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So, I'm doing the Sir Hammerlock DLC in Borderlands 2, and is it just me, or is it just not that much fun? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels pretty meh.

And it's kind of racist, too. It's in Pandora Africa, and I'm fighting savages and witch doctors? That's making me kind of uncomfortable.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Leavemywife posted:

So, I'm doing the Sir Hammerlock DLC in Borderlands 2, and is it just me, or is it just not that much fun? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels pretty meh.

And it's kind of racist, too. It's in Pandora Africa, and I'm fighting savages and witch doctors? That's making me kind of uncomfortable.

I've basically never heard anyone recommend that DLC, it's kind of wild. All the others have at least one person who likes or hates them

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Hammerlock DLC is to Borderlands 2 what the Zed DLC is to Borderlands 1. They are both bland as all hell, ugly, boring campaigns with bloated quests that give pretty crappy rewards. They knocked it out of the park with every DLC campaign in Borderlands 2..... Except for Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt, which just sucks.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

No, Life Is Strange, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is not the greatest movie of all time:colbert:

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Jul 6, 2019

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Leavemywife posted:

Same and wh my brother and my play through never finished all of it out. Glad it was the last one we started.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm still working through the SMT Strange Journey remake, and while it's still overall fun, the dungeon design is hitting a point where aggravation is starting to overshadow the fun. I like the square-by-square automapping setup, and it makes sense that they'd have to get more convoluted as you progress. But then they start doing long autoscrolling floors, multilevel dungeons with blind pits dropping you down a floor, and substantial sections wandering in the dark where you can't see and your map doesn't work.

Any one is doable on its own, but eventually they all combine into a slog. I just gave up and started looking at maps, and it's like, I have to blindly stumble through all these together in multiple loops through four floors if I'm doing it on my own to find the next plot point? Thaaaaat's about my breaking point :effort:

e: OK, after just gamefaqs-ing my way through multiple floors they eventually give you a tool to see in dark corridors, but that seems like almost Trumpian levels of solving problems you yourself created so I'm still angry :colbert:

The NG+ parts of the dungeons are even worse.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

CJacobs posted:

The Hammerlock DLC is to Borderlands 2 what the Zed DLC is to Borderlands 1. They are both bland as all hell, ugly, boring campaigns with bloated quests that give pretty crappy rewards. They knocked it out of the park with every DLC campaign in Borderlands 2..... Except for Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt, which just sucks.

Someone clearly doesn't remember Mr Torgue's DLC and the complete bullshit that was the Badasssaurus Rex fight.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In Guitar Hero World Tour I have to put up with badly animated Ted Nugent cavorting around the stage and then play through a 9-minute song of his. I loving hate Ted Nugent, the fascist piece of poo poo.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The rest of Torgue is great, though.

Hammerlock is absolutely awful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alhazred posted:

No, Life Is Strange, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is not the greatest movie of all time:colbert:

Good thing it doesnt say that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Necrothatcher posted:

In Guitar Hero World Tour I have to put up with badly animated Ted Nugent cavorting around the stage and then play through a 9-minute song of his. I loving hate Ted Nugent, the fascist piece of poo poo.

GOT YOU IN A STRANGLEHOLD BAY BEH, I'M GONNA CRUSH YOUR FACE

As is the case for all Guitar Hero songs that run over 5 to 6 minutes, it's just too long to be enjoyable unfortunately. Some people like those super long odyssey songs that noodle around a lot but not me. And Ted Nugent really is vile which does not help.

edit: Ted Nugent is a prime example of why I think separating the art from the artist is sometimes an impossible task that's not worth trying just to enjoy their music/films/etc. Every single minute in the past 20 years that Ted Nugent has not spent writing or performing his music has been dedicated to hunting exotic animals for sport and defending collecting trophies from their carcasses, threatening to murder Barack Obama, calling survivors of school shootings "mushy brained children who have gone soft" for no longer supporting gun rights after a dozen of their schoolmates were killed, threatening to bring his guns and shoot people for protesting at Trump rallies, and the list goes on. He is a really terrible person and sometimes it's really just not worth trying to ignore all that weight to enjoy Stranglehold like it's 1975 again.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Jul 6, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Separating the art from the artist is pointless because it's naive to think that anybody's worldview does not reflexively inform their work in return. The much more uncomfortable reality of enjoyable art from problematic artists is that those same elements that make them horrible people have also irrevocably influenced the stuff we like about them as well. That being said it's pretty easy for me personally to dispense with the output of one Ted Nugent.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Barudak posted:

Is it possible the game was refering to the masterpiece that is Advent Children?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

Forgot the exact wording, but my point still stands:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

CJacobs posted:

He is a really terrible person and sometimes it's really just not worth trying to ignore all that weight to enjoy Stranglehold like it's 1975 again.

Like it or not, we are going to have to deal with a badly animated Ted Nugent cavorting around the stage until somebody manages to find and destroy his phylactery.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

CJacobs posted:

GOT YOU IN A STRANGLEHOLD BAY BEH, I'M GONNA CRUSH YOUR FACE

As is the case for all Guitar Hero songs that run over 5 to 6 minutes, it's just too long to be enjoyable unfortunately. Some people like those super long odyssey songs that noodle around a lot but not me. And Ted Nugent really is vile which does not help.

edit: Ted Nugent is a prime example of why I think separating the art from the artist is sometimes an impossible task that's not worth trying just to enjoy their music/films/etc. Every single minute in the past 20 years that Ted Nugent has not spent writing or performing his music has been dedicated to hunting exotic animals for sport and defending collecting trophies from their carcasses, threatening to murder Barack Obama, calling survivors of school shootings "mushy brained children who have gone soft" for no longer supporting gun rights after a dozen of their schoolmates were killed, threatening to bring his guns and shoot people for protesting at Trump rallies, and the list goes on. He is a really terrible person and sometimes it's really just not worth trying to ignore all that weight to enjoy Stranglehold like it's 1975 again.

Imagine writing all of this thinking Nugent's music is listenable and/or has been in 1975.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Forgot the exact wording, but my point still stands:

I also hate when people enjoy things that aren't nearly as good as I think they are.