Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
One of my favorites was in DS2 in the prison tower, I was walking around an open space with a ruined wall. I see a message facing a wall, expecting a secret entrance I read it:"Above, visions of behind."
I thought it was nonsense, then I turned my camera up and there was a corpse slung on the ruined wall above me, butt glinting in the moonlight. It was pretty poetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lol, they do that again at the top of the ladder near the grave warden in cathedral of the deep

there's another butt there is what im saying

and again in irythyll by the carthus sword havers

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Huh. It is a hole.
but hole.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This hole was made for me

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks for the help. "Look around" and something about finger butts.

I'm a mercenary (in the game) and still using the starting equipment and swords. Am I a mong? Level 40 still.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

^burtle posted:

The durability thing was the only thing that really bugged me. I get you can only push boss fights in so many directions but the first boss was just Nashandra who can summon, and then a poison dragon... "Better give him stone skin!" I was flashing back to WoW in a bad way.
:confused: Elana only really shares a visual similarity with Nashandra (for lore reasons)? The actual fight is notably different, since Elana won't just spam her combo if you're in her face like Nashandra will. As for Sinh, if you aim for its head or neck you don't have to worry about durability damage.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Beige posted:

I'm a mercenary (in the game) and still using the starting equipment and swords. Am I a mong? Level 40 still.

The Sellsword Twinblades are one of the best Dex weapons in the game. Souls games don't really have weapon progression like a Final Fantasy game where you keep trading out your weapons for the new ones you pick up. Just make sure to upgrade the weapons you like with those titanite shards you should be finding.

I hope you're at least adding rings to your equipment, though.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Beige posted:

Look around. Have you been there before? If not, then go take a look, maybe it'll lead somewhere.

If you haven't found anything better than the starting gear (stats or move-set) that's fine. Remember to upgrade your weapons.

Where in the game are you and what's your stat build?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
NMW certainly had a strong aesthetic going for it, but in vanilla DS2 it had what to me is the worst sin you can make in this sort of game: an excruciatingly long and boring boss run. At least the boss was easy.

That zone shipping without a shortcut (no, opening that gate doesn't count) was inexcusable. It's easily my most hated area in that game.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I didn't know about that bridge until like my third playthrough

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Chrysophylax posted:

NMW certainly had a strong aesthetic going for it, but in vanilla DS2 it had what to me is the worst sin you can make in this sort of game: an excruciatingly long and boring boss run. At least the boss was easy.

That zone shipping without a shortcut (no, opening that gate doesn't count) was inexcusable. It's easily my most hated area in that game.

Hate is better response for a zone than "meh" imo. People hate Blighttown and it's a great level. Without the shortcut the zone is probably a bit too hard for how early it is, but even so it's a challenge for a low level character. Too many areas in DS2 are just throwaways that don't leave the player with any strong impression.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

skasion posted:

Too many areas in DS2 are just throwaways that don't leave the player with any strong impression.

I agree, good thing they fixed that in DS3.

* walks casually to grand archives bonfire from dragonslayer armor bonfire *

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Giant Isopod posted:

That was pretty goofy, I feel like there's at least one spot in Bloodborne where they did the same thing.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Inspector_666 posted:

That was pretty goofy, I feel like there's at least one spot in Bloodborne where they did the same thing.

Probably the walk from the Forbidden Grave (Shadows of Yharnam) to Byrgenwerth - you pass one Garden of Eyes and then you're immediately at the next lamp.

It's weird.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

NGDBSS posted:

:confused: Elana only really shares a visual similarity with Nashandra (for lore reasons)? The actual fight is notably different, since Elana won't just spam her combo if you're in her face like Nashandra will.

You're right, I was just cranky.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cavelcade posted:

Probably the walk from the Forbidden Grave (Shadows of Yharnam) to Byrgenwerth - you pass one Garden of Eyes and then you're immediately at the next lamp.

It's weird.

I could have sworn there was a boss lamp that was literally 3 steps away from the next area lamp.

EDIT: I think it was Ludwig in the DLC? Papa Gas' lamp is also only a short walk from the next one.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 22, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Giant Isopod posted:

Come on now.

*saunters from wolnir bonfire to irthyll bonfire*

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

hanales posted:

Come on now.

*saunters from wolnir bonfire to irthyll bonfire*

At least that one had a beautiful view ahead that you probably stopped at for a minute the first time through.

*strolls over bridge to next bonfire*

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Grand archive one is goofy because you can literally see dragonslayer bonfire from it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The Grand archive one is goofy because you can literally see dragonslayer bonfire from it.

It's just an unfortunate side effect of the 'bonfire after every boss, bonfire at the start of every zone' setup they have in Bloodborne and DS3.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It's just an unfortunate side effect of the 'bonfire after every boss, bonfire at the start of every zone' setup they have in Bloodborne and DS3.

Dragonslayer bonfire is actually a tiny bit closer to the last shortcut before Lothric & Lorian. Not enough to be useful in any way but I guess I could justify its utility if I had to. The Wolnir-Irithyll-Irithyll one is indefensibly dumb though. It's good to have a consistent design principle like that, but when it leads to results that don't pass a basic sanity check either the design or the principle should probably be adjusted.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I just ascribe it to the Mass Effect 3 idea that different areas are made independently and then linked up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skasion posted:

Dragonslayer bonfire is actually a tiny bit closer to the last shortcut before Lothric & Lorian. Not enough to be useful in any way but I guess I could justify its utility if I had to. The Wolnir-Irithyll-Irithyll one is indefensibly dumb though. It's good to have a consistent design principle like that, but when it leads to results that don't pass a basic sanity check either the design or the principle should probably be adjusted.

Well I could see it as the second Irithyll bonfire being a new area since you're through the barrier, as opposed to the first one where you might end up getting bounced if you haven't gotten the doll.

You could just use the Wolnir one instead of the first Irithyll bonfire, but then you come back to the conscious decision that Kite Pride pointed out where boss bonfires don't seem to factor in to the "new area entry" calculus.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

skasion posted:

Irithyll 1 bonfire is probably there on the off chance you don't have the doll, it will be a huge loose end in your menu. Irithyll 2 is there because having to run back from 1 every time you die to a Pontiff knight would be goddamn hell.

I also suspect Irithyll 1 might also be there to help reinforce that a big zone is coming up and give players the option to back out and check out things they might have missed (like smoulder lake)

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

^burtle posted:

I just ascribe it to the Mass Effect 3 idea that different areas are made independently and then linked up.

it definitely seems that way. the 1st irithyll bonfire would make more sense if there was a way to enter that area that didn't involve going through the catacombs. the cobbled path leading away from irithyll is obviously caved in from a landslide, but it seems like it could have been another entry point somewhere along the game's development.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

That bonfire is also before the dog

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Irithyll 1 bonfire is probably there on the off chance you don't have the doll, it will be a huge loose end in your menu. Irithyll 2 is there because having to run back from 1 every time you die to a Pontiff knight would be goddamn hell.

I also suspect Irithyll 1 might also be there to help reinforce that a big zone is coming up and give players the option to back out and check out things they might have missed (like smoulder lake)

You Pontiff run from the chapel. There is one before and after the bridge. That area is a difficulty spike for sure so adding one to not have to run the bridge every time is a good thing. I think there should be more bonfires.

Dark Souls 1 is a marathon, you slowly work your way through a big area losing resources over time hoping to find a safe haven or finding huge world changing shortcuts.
Dark Souls 3 is a sprint, you fight your intense short set pieces making short runs between safety or venturing out and back in little scouting runs which have a lot more less significant shortcuts.
(shamelessly stolen from Bonfireside Chat)

Because DS3 is designed that way in gameplay it makes perfect sense to give me more bonfires. Even when one is right after another I personally thought "what the gently caress is around the next corner if I'm getting a bonfire" (irythil knights to gently caress my poo poo up) not "Dark Souls 1 had less of these my goonmmersion" :cry:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

You Pontiff run from the chapel. There is one before and after the bridge. That area is a difficulty spike for sure so adding one to not have to run the bridge every time is a good thing. I think there should be more bonfires.

Dark Souls 1 is a marathon, you slowly work your way through a big area losing resources over time hoping to find a safe haven or finding huge world changing shortcuts.
Dark Souls 3 is a sprint, you fight your intense short set pieces making short runs between safety or venturing out and back in little scouting runs which have a lot more less significant shortcuts.
(shamelessly stolen from Bonfireside Chat)

Because DS3 is designed that way in gameplay it makes perfect sense to give me more bonfires. Even when one is right after another I personally thought "what the gently caress is around the next corner if I'm getting a bonfire" (irythil knights to gently caress my poo poo up) not "Dark Souls 1 had less of these my goonmmersion" :cry:

My only issue is with people who whined about ds2 having too many bonfires now hailing everything about ds3. Not saying you're doing that of course.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

hanales posted:

My only issue is with people who whined about ds2 having too many bonfires now hailing everything about ds3. Not saying you're doing that of course.

Naw I liked it in DS2 as well. More of the games not Dark Souls 1 again complaints. And that one starts you with 1 loving estus, of course its not gonna have DS1's long treks without safety. They do different things. And have different design decisions around that. I think DS2 is my favorite of the series, but I haven't gone back since DS3 so that might just be memory.

...I miss powerstance.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bombadilillo posted:

for me the only real difficulty spikes were the roof of the cathedral and of course the first leg of irithyll before the chapel bonfire. the cathedral is just a really boring slog the first time you play through it where you move one inch at a time with a bow zoomed in on every shadow and then you get one-shot by a grave warden at the very end and get to do it all over again.

on my first run thru the game, irithyll was the point where I realized that you're not necessarily supposed to fight every enemy just because they're there. learning to weave between ice knights and fire knights from irithyll to the chapel was great practice for the dungeons and the sunken city and the dragon mountain all later on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Freaking Crumbum posted:

for me the only real difficulty spikes were the roof of the cathedral and of course the first leg of irithyll before the chapel bonfire. the cathedral is just a really boring slog the first time you play through it where you move one inch at a time with a bow zoomed in on every shadow and then you get one-shot by a grave warden at the very end and get to do it all over again.

Cathedral of the Deep? I think that level is pretty great, it's the first time you really get one of those levels that loops back in on itself so heavily.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Cathedral of the Deep? I think that level is pretty great, it's the first time you really get one of those levels that loops back in on itself so heavily.

I think they're talking about the one particular section on the rooftops before you get into the cathedral itself. It was definitely one of the tougher sections I ran into on my first playthrough.

Overall I liked how the level looped back to the same bonfire over and over, but that place can be a bit annoying to navigate until you have the layout down. Also, having to get by the giant sucks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Oxyclean posted:

I think they're talking about the one particular section on the rooftops before you get into the cathedral itself. It was definitely one of the tougher sections I ran into on my first playthrough.

Yeah that bit is kind of slog, although more than anything else I think it just punishes you for trying to get through it too quickly. Getting past the first Giant is definitely the most annoying part since it's hard to see where his hands are going and also seeing where you need to run to.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Cathedral is a really fun and well-designed level, but the first roof segment you have to do before you can go inside can be punishing if you're coming fresh off Crystal Sage. Luckily if you grab some estus upgrade from Farron and carry a 100% physical shield you won't have much trouble with the thralls, but my first playthrough was a pyromancer and I must have died half a dozen times before I opened the shortcut.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah that bit is kind of slog, although more than anything else I think it just punishes you for trying to get through it too quickly.

yeah, the roof specifically was my version of the DS1 Anor Londo rooftop archers. it sucks because it's just a really long sequence of GOTCHA type poo poo unless you take it real slow, and even then it's just boring instead of frustrating. for me it's a weird difficulty spike because the outside areas before the cathedral are pretty simple, then the roof is hell, then once you get the first shortcut inside opened the rest of the cathedral itself is much simpler. I think the roof is worse for me because it's a bunch of small, fast enemies swarming you, whereas the inside is more slow moving monsters that hit hard but are easier to manage.

also in 300+ hours on DS3 I have never once gotten patches to spawn in the cathedral. the very first time I played I did something out of order and found the onion knight in the well completely by accident, but even after that character when I would try to get patches to show up, he never does. he's just always mysteriously waiting to kick the door shut behind me in firelink tower. :confused:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah, the roof specifically was my version of the DS1 Anor Londo rooftop archers. it sucks because it's just a really long sequence of GOTCHA type poo poo unless you take it real slow, and even then it's just boring instead of frustrating. for me it's a weird difficulty spike because the outside areas before the cathedral are pretty simple, then the roof is hell, then once you get the first shortcut inside opened the rest of the cathedral itself is much simpler. I think the roof is worse for me because it's a bunch of small, fast enemies swarming you, whereas the inside is more slow moving monsters that hit hard but are easier to manage.

Yeah, the initial Cathedral areas are a very big contrast, since you just pretty much sprint through the graveyard, then you really have to plod across there once you're away from the skeletons.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
For me the rooftop area was a sprint until the part where you descend from the buttress into three crossbow hollows. There I duck into the side passage that leads to an Evangelist to heal up and take things from there. It's possible, but annoying, to run to the shortcut from that spot.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

skasion posted:

Cathedral is a really fun and well-designed level, but the first roof segment you have to do before you can go inside can be punishing if you're coming fresh off Crystal Sage. Luckily if you grab some estus upgrade from Farron and carry a 100% physical shield you won't have much trouble with the thralls, but my first playthrough was a pyromancer and I must have died half a dozen times before I opened the shortcut.

Half a dozen deaths is punishing? I am on my first playthrough and have just gotten into the Cathedral building. So many deaths in what was - I felt - a gauntlet. I began wondering "have I skipped a bonfire? Where's the next bonfire?"

Being past that part and having never need run that section again I feel the mobs I'm encountering are bigger, stronger but fewer and easier to fight toe-to-toe with. Wish me luck in my travels!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The outside part of the cathedral is one of the best spots to invade since its one of the longest and most brutal slogs in the game. Few people bother to set up gank squads there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

hanales posted:

DS2's problem is that it'd often force you to fight enemies after a bossfight before you could reach the next bonfire. I can't remember DS1 or 3 doing that, but DS2 had a few big "gently caress you" moments like that. After losing a few tens of thousands of souls to that stuff I started using homeward bone after every boss..

I really like the way DS3 streamlined that stuff. Yeah the path between Dragonslayer Armor and Grand Archives should be slightly longer and have an enemy or two, but I'll take that over DS2's way of doing things.