Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Annath posted:

Any ideas what it could be? Should I throw out the dough? Could it be something with the mixer?

Machine grease. You probably wouldn't die, but it's not good for you, toss it.

Let it spin on it's lowest setting for a few minutes, then wipe the (axle?) especially where it disappears into the housing with a clean dry cloth. There shouldn't be too much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Re: frozen omelettes
Mini fritatas/quiches/omelettes whatever you want to call it made in a muffin tin are amazing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Weltlich posted:

Pulled Pork
Burnt Ends
Omlettes (Seriosly, make and omlette, freeze it, then it microwaves back to life)
"Soup Kits" Basically all the meats/vegetables you'd need to make a soup. Then the day of just put them into a soup pot, slow cooker, or instapot with some stock.

Also: Make pickled eggs. It's easy, you don't need a pressure canner, and a fast source of protein will be a good snack when you've had no sleep and don't want to even heat things in a microwave.

Toss it.

It's excess lubricant. New Kitchenaids are notorious for leaking some when they're moved around and "tipped" off of their normal level resting state. You'll need to give it a sponge bath, and a good wipe down with paper towels. After that it should be ready to rock.

It might happen again, it might not.

Here's a link about it: https://producthelp.kitchenaid.com/Countertop_Appliances/Stand_Mixers/Stand_Mixer_Cleaning_and_Care/Oil_Leaking_From_Stand_Mixer

Apparently it is also an issue after prolonged periods of not using the mixer, like waiting on a slob roommate to pound sand. Nothing to freak out about, but that dough needs to get dumped, unfortunately.

I just want to add that if it’s not this (it probably is because you said lumps) I had similar grey streaking in dough and it turned out I hadn’t pushed my metal mixing bowl to snap on the back so it was at an angle so the mixer paddle scraped at the metal and yeah, grey metal “streaks.”

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nwin posted:

My wife and I are having our first child in November, and we've heard it might be a good idea to freeze some meals in advance so when we come home from the hospital we have some things to heat up without thinking too much.

Anyone have decent recipes for the above? Or other suggestions that would work?

I'll advocate for tamales. They reheat fairly well in the microwave once frozen. The tedious part is constructing all the tamales, but then they steam in like an hour-hour and a half. Plan on maybe a minute or two per tamale to construct. The key is having enough steaming space to make a lot at once.

I've used this recipe for the dough in the past: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/basic-tamal-dough/. I typically make smaller tamales; I think I've gotten maybe 3 dozen out of that recipe? But if you make big ones with bigger corn husks then it may be about right.

I fill them with refried beans and queso fresco, but you're welcome to fill it with tender shredded meats as well. With beans you can use some of the bean cooking water to rehydrate the masa harina, I think that ends up working fairly well.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We freeze quite a lot of things that we’ve prepared in advance, and definitely the single most useful thing is simple tomato sauce: it can be used on pasta as is, mixed with mince to make a basic bolognese, it goes on pizza, you can add meatballs to it, or turn it into quick stews.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Any ideas what it could be? Should I throw out the dough? Could it be something with the mixer?

Could be lube like someone said, could also be that you ran the bare aluminum dough hook through the dishwasher which will leave it covered in oxidation.

Big Buteo
Dec 27, 2017

what?
Any tips/favorite recipes for royal icing on sugar cookies? I'm contributing a dessert for an event with ~30 people and wanted to make something fun, but I should do a practice run this weekend. Also, I'll need to use pasteurized egg whites so I don't kill any kids- what the heck can I do with the leftover yolks?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
have any of you used the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook? I'm going to be inheriting my mother's very old one soon and want to tell if I should check out the recipes other than the ones she uses.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Could be lube like someone said, could also be that you ran the bare aluminum dough hook through the dishwasher which will leave it covered in oxidation.

Uh

A. The dough hook is coated in something. Paint or ceramic?

B. I didn't run it through the dishwasher, it gets washed by hand.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Uh

A. The dough hook is coated in something. Paint or ceramic?

B. I didn't run it through the dishwasher, it gets washed by hand.

Then it’s not that, yours is probably enameled. They were shipping with uncoated aluminum for a while at least.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Then it’s not that, yours is probably enameled. They were shipping with uncoated aluminum for a while at least.

Mine has this problem, it took us quite a while to understand what was going on

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My hook is 30 years old, and it originally had a vinyl like coating on it that eventually wore thin and peeled off.

So I guess I ate it slowly?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Aluminum oxide doesn’t flake off-if you’ve handled a beer or soda can you’ve seen it firsthand.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This instant pot recipe calls for only a 15 oz can of tomatoes and 3/4c of water for the only liquid to cook a 'beef stew' with 2 lbs of meat. That seems a really really small amount to me and in the pot the meat wasn't really submerged very well so i added another 1/2 cup. I figured I'd rather have a watery stew than a burnt one.

I guess I'll know for sure how it comes out in half an hour or w/e but does that seem like a reasonable amount of liquid for a pressure cooker? I feel like at the very least the stew is going to be just meat and vegetables in a thick gravy with that little moisture.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Anybody ever use flank steak in Bolognese? I have two huge ones I want out of my freezer. Thoughts?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Agent355 posted:

This instant pot recipe calls for only a 15 oz can of tomatoes and 3/4c of water for the only liquid to cook a 'beef stew' with 2 lbs of meat. That seems a really really small amount to me and in the pot the meat wasn't really submerged very well so i added another 1/2 cup. I figured I'd rather have a watery stew than a burnt one.

I guess I'll know for sure how it comes out in half an hour or w/e but does that seem like a reasonable amount of liquid for a pressure cooker? I feel like at the very least the stew is going to be just meat and vegetables in a thick gravy with that little moisture.

You'd be surprised how much liquid those meat and vegetables will release in a pressure cooker.

I do a lot of pork or beef roast in the pressure cooker with onions and peppers or mirepoix with very very little cooking liquid and after coming down from pressure there is plenty enough liquid that you can still open up and reduce that volume down if you wanted. Mostly I just make sure there's enough liquid to cover the bottom of the pot by about 1" so nothing scorches and that's plenty for a fairly liquid stew.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Good to know. I don't have much by way of ingredients but I can jury rig something up to thicken it if I need to though if it's watery I'll probably just call it soup and eat it anyway.

Anybody actually use their instant pot as a rice cooker? I bought some medium grain rice to serve under the beef stew and I'd like to simply make rice as I need it rather than trying to make a large batch and microwaving it, but I don't know how well you can cook a small amount of rice in a 6 qt instant pot, or how much of a pain it is to clean since I've had nightmares about cleaning rice pots before.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Agent355 posted:

Good to know. I don't have much by way of ingredients but I can jury rig something up to thicken it if I need to though if it's watery I'll probably just call it soup and eat it anyway.

Anybody actually use their instant pot as a rice cooker? I bought some medium grain rice to serve under the beef stew and I'd like to simply make rice as I need it rather than trying to make a large batch and microwaving it, but I don't know how well you can cook a small amount of rice in a 6 qt instant pot, or how much of a pain it is to clean since I've had nightmares about cleaning rice pots before.

You can totally just pop the lid off after pressure cooking, put it on sautee, and check every 10-20 mins and see how much you've reduced the liquid level down. I did this making a pork roast with onions and peppers last week.

I use my instant pot for rice. Your ratio of rice : water is going to be a bit different than on a stovetop pot. Each type of rice will be a little different.

I tend to make a lot of rice at once at the beginning of the week. For me I just add 3 cups of jasmine rice to 4 cups of water with 2 tsp of oil and a couple shakes of salt then just let it run the default rice cooker program. I do make sure not to let it sit warm for long after as it will get the rice a bit mushy. Honestly, there's a couple of ways to do rice in the instant pot and I just had to try a few different methods (using the rice setting vs a 4 min pressure cook, etc) and a few different ratios of rice to water, for your brand of rice of choice, and go from there.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I use mine for rice because, as much as I'd love one of the fancy Zojiroshi rice cookers, I have limited funds and counter space.

It works fairly well, but I suggest 2 things:

Get a rice washing bowl. I use this one:

Inomata Japanese Rice Washing Bowl with Side and Bottom Drainers, Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QZAAS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_lqXeaoj4Wxipp

It makes it much easier to rinse excess starch off the rice, which I've found is important in the instant pot because otherwise it burns much more easily than in a rice cooker.

2nd, use a bit more water than you would for a proper rice cooker. When I lived with my parents and had a proper rice cooker, I'd use about a 1:1 ratio of rice to water (for basmati). Using the instant pot, I've found that that sometimes burns if you leave it to sit for natural pressure release. Since I'm lazy and don't want to go turn off the keep warm feature after the pressure cooking time is done (so it can release without burning), I use about a 1.5:1 ratio, which gives delicious, unburnt, albeit somewhat gooier rice. I like my rice kind of gooey/sticky, but if you prefer firmer/grainier rice, I'd suggest watching it more closely or getting a proper rice cooker.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

Anybody ever use flank steak in Bolognese? I have two huge ones I want out of my freezer. Thoughts?

You COULD, but I think the more traditional high heat sear and slice thin against the grain is a far better treatment of flank steak.

In general you're probably not getting your money's worth if you're putting any cut with steak in it's name into a grinder

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

For those of you who worry about counterspace, have you considered putting certain items outside of the kitchen? For example, I noticed I had a bunch of unused dresser space, so I put my zojirushi and toaster on top of my dresser. Now I can wake up, grab a slice of bread from the sock drawer and make toast without even leaving the bedroom! Or just scoop some rice/oats/etc out of the zojirushi that cooked them perfectly for your breakfast!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sextro posted:

For those of you who worry about counterspace, have you considered putting certain items outside of the kitchen? For example, I noticed I had a bunch of unused dresser space, so I put my zojirushi and toaster on top of my dresser. Now I can wake up, grab a slice of bread from the sock drawer and make toast without even leaving the bedroom! Or just scoop some rice/oats/etc out of the zojirushi that cooked them perfectly for your breakfast!

Same but with a George Foreman grill on the floor for bacon.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

pile of brown posted:

You COULD, but I think the more traditional high heat sear and slice thin against the grain is a far better treatment of flank steak.

In general you're probably not getting your money's worth if you're putting any cut with steak in it's name into a grinder

Yes, I'm aware of the traditional methods of cooking with flank steak, with the temperature dropping (theoretically) I wanted to use them in some sort of braise.

I was thinking left whole and pulled apart in a meat sauce, not ground. Cooks Illustrated seems to think it's a good use for it but their stuff can be hit or miss and was wondering if anybody here had first hand experience.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Annath posted:

Get a rice washing bowl. I use this one:

Inomata Japanese Rice Washing Bowl with Side and Bottom Drainers, Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QZAAS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_lqXeaoj4Wxipp

What's the advantage of this over a fine mesh strainer?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BrianBoitano posted:

What's the advantage of this over a fine mesh strainer?

A. I didn't have a large mesh strainer :P

But also, the holes in the rice washing bowl are such that it actually accumulates a bit of water, so you can actually swish the rice around, whereas I've used mesh strainers where the mesh allows the water to just flow right through.

Honestly, if you've already got a mesh strainer, I'd say just wash your rice in a regular bowl then pour it into the strainer to drain the water.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Right, it's just a one-piece bowl and strainer.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How should I cook Choy Sum? I grew a little bit on my balcony, the flowers on one are just about to open so I think it's ready, I'll probably pick it tomorrow or the day after if my other plant looks good too.

Edit: And should I pick the whole plant, leaves and all, or just the stems? The variety says the stems can grow again, but when I search choy sum it usually has the leaves on it.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Where can I get really good black peppercorns? Had some at a restaurant that were really bright tasting and I don't know if they were fresher or grown someplace different?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Yes, I'm aware of the traditional methods of cooking with flank steak, with the temperature dropping (theoretically) I wanted to use them in some sort of braise.

I was thinking left whole and pulled apart in a meat sauce, not ground. Cooks Illustrated seems to think it's a good use for it but their stuff can be hit or miss and was wondering if anybody here had first hand experience.

It's fine in a saucy type application. I've had ropa vieja with flank and it's delicious.

Eeyo posted:

How should I cook Choy Sum? I grew a little bit on my balcony, the flowers on one are just about to open so I think it's ready, I'll probably pick it tomorrow or the day after if my other plant looks good too.

Edit: And should I pick the whole plant, leaves and all, or just the stems? The variety says the stems can grow again, but when I search choy sum it usually has the leaves on it.

Cut it off at the base of the stem, leaves, flowers, and all attached still.

I like it super simply steamed/blanched and dressed with oyster sauce/sesame oil. Serve it with a fatty/spicy meat and a big bowl of rice.

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Where can I get really good black peppercorns? Had some at a restaurant that were really bright tasting and I don't know if they were fresher or grown someplace different?

Penzey's.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Going back to muffuletta omelet chat...

Manuel Calavera posted:

Do it and take pictures for us you beautiful bastard.

Boss approved it and I prepped the olive salad/tapenade today (special starts tomorrow). Omg it is so pretty, with the black and green olives, roasted red peppers, white cauliflower and orange carrots from the homemade giardiniera, pulsed in the robo... It's a loving rainbow of savory flavor, I had to restrain myself from just shoveling it into my mouth. Our pro photographer will probably be in tomorrow to get pix for our FB/Instagram, I'll post as soon as I can get them.

Going with just stuffing the omelet with ham/salami/pepperoni/mozzarella, then putting that tapenade on top because goddamn it looks too nice to be tucked on the inside of the omelet.

Thanks for all your input and encouragement, folks! Fingers crossed that it sells well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have that Inomata rice washing bowl and the holes are large enough for rice grains to get stuck in them, it's very annoying. Bought a mesh strainer to replace it, much gooder.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eeyo posted:

To cook, just blanch until everything turns bright green and/or the stems are your desired tenderness, then toss with 1:1 oyster sauce and light soy. If you're serving it as a one-bowl sorta thing with some animal protein it'll be fine following the seasoning you're doing for it (like garlic + ginger with oyster and soy, or shaoxing and soy, or whatever).

For harvesting you want to pick 'em before the flower buds open and take the whole plant. You can also trim everything at the stem just above the first leaf (so you're leaving the base of the stem with one leaf in the ground) and it'll grow back. This works kinda like gai lan, at least in my experience: first harvest is usually the best/most tender, and throughout the season the secondary growth will get a little leaner, until by the end of the season it's just trying to bolt and will only grow thin, woody flowering stalks that you won't want to cook. Since time to harvest is so short I usually just take the whole plant and then plant new seeds, trying to stagger it so I'm getting harvestable greens through the season.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Get Tellicherry peppercorns and you’ll never eat “regular” peppercorns again. You can get them from Penzy’s, Amazon, or your better-stocked grocery stores.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LongSack posted:

Get Tellicherry peppercorns and you’ll never eat “regular” peppercorns again. You can get them from Penzy’s, Amazon, or your better-stocked grocery stores.

Costco has some nice Tellicherry peppercorns at a reasonable price.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

As far as quality treatment of meat, grinding it would probably yield better results that what youre suggesting, but if you're dead set on braising a lean steak and shredding it into jerky strips there's probably no need to consult a thread about cooking techniques.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

It's fine in a saucy type application. I've had ropa vieja with flank and it's delicious.

Cool, thanks.

pile of brown posted:

As far as quality treatment of meat, grinding it would probably yield better results that what youre suggesting, but if you're dead set on braising a lean steak and shredding it into jerky strips there's probably no need to consult a thread about cooking techniques.

LOL there's no need to be a baby because I didn't take your advice.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I recently had a really delicious horseradish hot sauce at a good festival, and I want to try to recreate it myself with some of my home grown horseradish and chillies. I looked up the ingredients list, and it is as follows:

INGREDIENTS: Pears, horseradish root (14%), mixed super hot chillies (10%), cider vinegar, peas, onions, MUSTARD powder, salt, peppercorns, extra virgin rapeseed oil.

So... pears? Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the proportions I need here? I’m guessing I just stew the lot up, blend, strain and bottle it, and see what happens, but if anyone has any pointers, I’d appreciate it so I don’t waste the very few chillies I managed to cultivate this year.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks for the choy sum suggestions! I was able to get enough for 2 servings, and it ended up pretty good! I overcooked it a bit, and the soy sauce/oyster sauce really absorbed into the leaves so they were a bit over-seasoned.

Next spring I think I’ll try out a different brassica. Probably one that doesn’t need to flower, my balcony doesn’t get perfect lighting.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

I recently had a really delicious horseradish hot sauce at a good festival, and I want to try to recreate it myself with some of my home grown horseradish and chillies. I looked up the ingredients list, and it is as follows:

INGREDIENTS: Pears, horseradish root (14%), mixed super hot chillies (10%), cider vinegar, peas, onions, MUSTARD powder, salt, peppercorns, extra virgin rapeseed oil.

So... pears? Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the proportions I need here? I’m guessing I just stew the lot up, blend, strain and bottle it, and see what happens, but if anyone has any pointers, I’d appreciate it so I don’t waste the very few chillies I managed to cultivate this year.

Well, if the 14% and the 10% indicate the proportion of the recipe that is horseradish and chilies, respectively, and the rest of the ingredients are in order of ingredient by weight or volume then I can make some guesses. If that's the case, then 24% of the recipe is accounted for in what I'm guessing is weight. Most food manufacturers cook by weight, not volume.

You know the taste for sure, but my guess is that it'll be either High-Pear if it was sweeter, Medium-Pear for more balance, or Low-Pear if it was more aggressive. The sweeter it was, the higher the ratio of pear in it.

Vinegar does two things. It tempers the sauce, taking a little edge of the heat and giving it tang. It also acts as a pH reducer to stabilize the sauce over time. It usually takes a ratio of vinegar of above 15 to 20% to get a sauce that is room-temperature stable, so I'm guessing this stuff will need to be refrigerated once you make it. (The horseradish and chili's will also drop the pH, but I'm not sure what they will drop it to. 3.5pH is roughly your target for a shelf-stable sauce after opening. Otherwise keep it cold.)

Peas. Weird, but I'm guessing they're in there to add body, and maybe color.

Onions. Were there chunks of onion in it? if not, maybe think of using onion powder, or dried onion flakes.

Mustard is a standard savory sauce component. In this case I also suspect it's acting as an emulsifier.

Peppercorns are there for flavor, most likely.

Canola (rapeseed) oil is there possibly for two reasons. Firstly it may be there for body and texture, but it also might be there because the onions and other ingredients were sautee'd before the sauce was puree'd.

In order to preserve as much of your chili's and horseradish as you can, I'd suggest cooking up small amounts of the other ingredients together, so that they will equal 76% of the total weight, and then adding in a tiny amount of chili and horseradish to bring it up to the total of 100%. (So for instance, if you've got a combined 38 grams of pears, peas, onions, etc, you'd add 7 grams of horseradish and 5 grams of chilies to that, mix it up and taste to see how close it is. I have no idea how much horseradish and chili you are starting with, so you'll have to do the math on that.)

So here's my guesses:

High Pear

Pears - 43%
Horseradish - 14% (known)
Chilies - 10% (known)
Cider Vinegar - 9%
Peas - 7%
Onions - 5%
Mustard - 5%
Peppercorns - 4%
Canola Oil - 3%

Medium Pear

Pears - 35%
Chilies - 10% (known)
Cider Vinegar - 9%
Peas - 8%
Onions - 7%
Mustard - 7%
Peppercorns - 5%
Canola Oil - 5%

Low Pear

Pears - 29%
Chilies - 10% (known)
Cider Vinegar - 10%
Peas - 10%
Onions - 8%
Mustard - 7%
Peppercorns - 6%
Canola Oil - 5%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

That's cool sauce info there.

I did a small amount of reading on black pepper and Tellicherry is the higher grade of peppercorns named after the city Thalassery on the Malabar coast in India. I found a couple sites that have pepper specifically from Malabar in both grades and from other countries in southeast Asia and some in South America. There's also long pepper, cubeb and voatsiperifery from other species in the Piper genus. Then there's szechuan pepper and timut which are in the same family as citrus so they're totally different. Gonna order a few things and see what's different between them. Sites I'm looking at are thespicehouse and spiceace.com, both seem to have positive reviews.