Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
As long as Walker isn't flatlining by January, Trump only needs to beat him to have something to brag about after Iowa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Jonked posted:

It's funny how scared people are getting about Trump, when it's obvious how this is going to go down. You guys even said it in this thread: the only thing that can derail Trump is showing weakness. Well, what do you think is going to happen in Iowa? If he gets the most delegates, he's fine. He comes in second, he hurting. He loses in Iowa, NH? He is done. Trump the loser, back to being a reality TV joke. He's on top now because name recognition put him at the top of the polls, and because topping the polls made him the front runner, and the frontrunner can't be a joke. But Trump's magic doesn't work when he's not being taken serious. No one like a loud mouth loser.

But wait, you say. Why do I think he's losing Iowa? Jesus pay attention - his ground game is pouching Perry's rejects, his endorsements are kkk grand wizards, and half the people in the polls are 'voting' for him because he's the only name they recognize. His support is as soft as his booze-soaked dick, and it's not going to survive the marathon session of the Iowa caucus. It's one thing to say "I'm voting for Trump" to a voice on the phone - saying it to your neighbors face, after arguing over everyone's choice for an hour, as a serious citizen of the US? Trump loses to Walker, JEB!, and Carson.

If Trump loses Iowa he's a loser, and America hates a loser.

Ahhhhh......Hmmmmmmm....Ahhhhhhh

I'm sorry he is pinching your sack.

He is not loosing, because people like someone that has balls.

Merica gently caress yeah.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Every time I hear someone say "guys this happened with Ron Paul in 2012, he was leading and nothing happened" all i can think of it two months ago when it was "guys, there's no way Jared is actually a pedophile. He's just complying with the investigation against this other guy." It's a strange new world . . . and some of us are just ready to watch the world burn.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Does "winning" Iowa actually matter for anything other than media coverage now that even the GOP is awarding delegates proportionally for the first half of the primaries?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fosborb posted:

As long as Walker isn't flatlining by January, Trump only needs to beat him to have something to brag about after Iowa.

Or, and I'm just throwing this possibility out there, the nature of the primary could change between August and February.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cael posted:

Every time I hear someone say "guys this happened with Ron Paul in 2012, he was leading and nothing happened" all i can think of it two months ago when it was "guys, there's no way Jared is actually a pedophile. He's just complying with the investigation against this other guy." It's a strange new world . . . and some of us are just ready to watch the world burn.

I believe you mean that Jared is an ephebophiliac

:goonsay:

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Cael posted:

Maybe Trump is a pedophile , Ron Paul. Ohhh wait,,,,,,,,, he's not, he like hot women.

Merica gently caress yeah.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Now Ted Cruz is calling Megyn Kelly a "liberal reporter", which seems like not a good idea.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 22, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Jonked posted:

It's funny how scared people are getting about Trump, when it's obvious how this is going to go down. You guys even said it in this thread: the only thing that can derail Trump is showing weakness. Well, what do you think is going to happen in Iowa? If he gets the most delegates, he's fine. He comes in second, he hurting. He loses in Iowa, NH? He is done. Trump the loser, back to being a reality TV joke. He's on top now because name recognition put him at the top of the polls, and because topping the polls made him the front runner, and the frontrunner can't be a joke. But Trump's magic doesn't work when he's not being taken serious. No one like a loud mouth loser.

But wait, you say. Why do I think he's losing Iowa? Jesus pay attention - his ground game is pouching Perry's rejects, his endorsements are kkk grand wizards, and half the people in the polls are 'voting' for him because he's the only name they recognize. His support is as soft as his booze-soaked dick, and it's not going to survive the marathon session of the Iowa caucus. It's one thing to say "I'm voting for Trump" to a voice on the phone - saying it to your neighbors face, after arguing over everyone's choice for an hour, as a serious citizen of the US? Trump loses to Walker, JEB!, and Carson.

If Trump loses Iowa he's a loser, and America hates a loser.

I do agree with you that somehow showing weakness will open a chink in his armor and therefore a narrative of attack.

However, I think your opinion of what the average GOP caucus goer considers reasonable or sane may be skewed. For the most part, Trump is as mainstream and normal to these people as Walker, etc. For most GOP primary voters, Trump only stands out in that he's a stronger candidate -- more charismatic, stronger, more authentic, etc. For example, let's take Boosted. Do you really think Boosted is embarrassed to advocate for Trump in front of other like minded individuals? Do you think the people that show up to Trump rallies are embarrassed to be supporting Trump?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

To help put it into perspective, Michelle loving Bachmann won Iowa in 2012.

Michelle Bachmann won the Iowa Straw Poll in 2011. The 2012 Republican Caucus in Iowa was won by Rick Santorum.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

They eat their wounded.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
edit: nm

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

To help put it into perspective, Michelle loving Bachmann won Iowa in 2012.

Close, but it was Rick Santorum. The guy who won it for him is running Trump's Iowa game :getin:

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
We will look back at the Trump phase like we did when Santorum was going to be the republican nominee - the last dying gasp of the anti-reality faction in hindsight, but deeply troubling in the heat of the moment.

And we will ask if anything could possibly top 2016, right until Hogan declares his unity ticket with Ventura.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

goons are really bad at political analysis

From the horse's mouth.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Joementum posted:

Or, and I'm just throwing this possibility out there, the nature of the primary could change between August and February.

I didn't mean to imply Trump would be bragging about anything actually worth bragging about.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Jonked posted:

We will look back at the Trump........ the last dying gasp

It's over Trump is finished, China wins.
The only thing that could save him now is a big drop in the stock market, driven by the failure in china.

I hope that doesn't happen.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Joementum posted:

Keep in mind that I'm not saying Trump will win. I'm simply saying that odds are in his favor. To pull a number out of my rear end, let's say 60ish percent. I think there's about a 40% chance the fear machine will turn on him, given that they haven't already done so. Attacks will obviously mean more nearer to the actual primary, but due to how reactionary and fear beholden these people are, I think they would've already panicked and reacted if they truly wanted to derail him.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Cruz has given up on Trump burning out and inheriting his base and is now just preparing to become The Donald's snivelling weasel sidekick as VP.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Whats complicated is building a building that's 95 stories tall.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Digiwizzard posted:

Cruz has given up on Trump burning out and inheriting his base and is now just preparing to become The Donald's snivelling weasel sidekick as VP.

Bingo. Cruz is such a little poo poo.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Digiwizzard posted:

Or he's betting this little spat between the crazies and Fox News lives on past Trump, and he's angling to pick up the flag if Trump stumbles.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Trump just bought himself another +10% in the polls with merely seconds of work.

This man truly can make America great again.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Jonked posted:

His support is as soft as his booze-soaked dick, and it's not going to survive the marathon session of the Iowa caucus. It's one thing to say "I'm voting for Trump" to a voice on the phone - saying it to your neighbors face, after arguing over everyone's choice for an hour, as a serious citizen of the US? Trump loses to Walker, JEB!, and Carson.

The Republican caucus is a secret ballot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Independent border tech? So some white power militia member has a plane and painted Go Trump on the wings?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Silly Burrito posted:

Trump is Greg Stillson.

Well, that was really loving random. :v:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Independent border tech? So some white power militia member has a plane and painted Go Trump on the wings?

I like how it is bright orange so the illegals can see it easier.
:thumbsup:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 26, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Honestly, there are so many issues we need to address and here we are talking about illegal immigration.
We are hosed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pohl posted:

Honestly, there are so many issues we need to address and here we are talking about illegal immigration.
We are hosed.

The Republicans never address real issues, haven't you learned that by now? We're not really being hosed by the Republican primary clown car not taking things seriously.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The longer this carnival goes on the more crazy it becomes and at some point it's just going to be disturbing.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Republicans never address real issues, haven't you learned that by now? We're not really being hosed by the Republican primary clown car not taking things seriously.

I know better but I still get hopeful once in awhile. I also freak out randomly.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Logikv9 posted:

The longer this carnival goes on the more crazy it becomes and at some point it's just going to be disturbing.

You ever looked out the Overton Window of sanity?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

The opposing party always talks about the issues, the funny part is there is a part of the electorate is that some people are displeased with politic as usual .

I'm sure hilllo biden will be ok

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dahbadu posted:

Keep in mind that I'm not saying Trump will win. I'm simply saying that odds are in his favor. To pull a number out of my rear end, let's say 60ish percent. I think there's about a 40% chance the fear machine will turn on him, given that they haven't already done so. Attacks will obviously mean more nearer to the actual primary, but due to how reactionary and fear beholden these people are, I think they would've already panicked and reacted if they truly wanted to derail him.

uncurable mlady posted:

goons are really bad at political analysis

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
If I wanted to be touched or felt up Think I would want to be want-felt up by biden

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm kinda surprised by how much less overtly racist that Trump Asian Deal clip was than I expected.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

mlmp08 posted:

You ever looked out the Overton Window of sanity?

All the loving time. But it's always been like a zoo... a nice, obvious barrier between the real world and their woohoo crazy fantasy land. Now the fantasy land is overrun and is contaminating everything.

I need to go back to freep to gain some perspective.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I keep hearing "once the other candidates start dropping out, the voters will coalesce around an anti-Trump." But nobody's dropping out, not even Gilmore with 0.5%. When are the lesser candidates going to start quitting? I'm pretty sure Pawlenty had bowed out by now in 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

I keep hearing "once the other candidates start dropping out, the voters will coalesce around an anti-Trump." But nobody's dropping out, not even Gilmore with 0.5%. When are the lesser candidates going to start quitting? I'm pretty sure Pawlenty had bowed out by now in 2011.

No one is dropping out until after voting starts, so probably February??
There is just too much easy money now, they can coast along at 1 or 2 percent and still be valid candidates.
Just writing that made me crack up.

Trump is not, seemingly going to ease up, so these other candidates are going to have to take him down. You think this is a shitshow now? Just wait.

• Locked thread