Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I'm gonna watch Pod later because I just watched Darling, which is by the same director (Mickey Keating) and was at least different enough to merit checking out the other stuff this guy has done. Does anyone have any opinions one way or another about these films? I don't think I've seen either of them mentioned in here, but I only read the thread occasionally. Incidentally, since I just watched We Are Still Here, this will be the third movie I've seen in three days with Larry Fessenden in it.

[LARRY FESSENDEN NOTE:] If I remember my film trivia correctly, Larry Fessenden played the saxophone and sang backup vocals at some point in the credits for The Last Winter. [/END OF LARRY FESSENDEN NOTE]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ObamaPhone posted:

About werewolves...

Off the top of my head, the good ones are:

1) An American Werewolf in London
2) Underworld Quadrilogy
3) Silver Bullet
4) Bad Moon
5) Dog Soldiers
6) Monster Squad

Werewolf movies that I've seen but didn't like include The Howling, Ginger Snaps, Wolf, Wolfen, The Wolfman remake, Teen Wolf, Brotherhood of the Wolf, An American Werewolf in Paris, WolfCop, Van Helsing, Cursed, and The Company of Wolves.

Are there any other werewolf movies that I missed that are at least decent?

EDIT: I liked WolfCop but not enough to put it up there with my all time.

loving Ginger Snaps really?!

Wrong. I'd rather watch the Ginger Snaps Trilogy over the Underworld movies. American Werewolf in Paris is hot garbage however.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually like Ginger Snaps Back : The Beginning more than the 2 previous films. I like the setting and the story more.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ObamaPhone posted:

Are there any other werewolf movies that I missed that are at least decent?
Brotherhood of the Wolf (the French one) is pretty good, since it's both werewolf and period piece.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Hollismason posted:

I actually like Ginger Snaps Back : The Beginning more than the 2 previous films. I like the setting and the story more.

I gotta give the 3rd one a shot then.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Brotherhood of the Wolf (the French one) is pretty good, since it's both werewolf and period piece.

I watched the beginning a very long time ago before I started watching subbed movies.

Brotherhood of the Wolf also deserves another viewing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ObamaPhone posted:

I watched the beginning

i read the beginning of your post and stopped there and i can firmly state that your post sucks

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Brotherhood of the Wolf is not a werewolf movie. Like there are literally ZERO werewolves in the film. It's a interesting film, but it's not a werewolf movie at all.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 1, 2016

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ObamaPhone posted:

I gotta give the 3rd one a shot then.

I watched the beginning a very long time ago before I started watching subbed movies.

Brotherhood of the Wolf also deserves another viewing.

You know, I think the. One thing that might improved vet a lot of your movies that's you see and make you enjoy them more would be to watch them fully! I mean, all of us in this thread are basically horror movie degenerates who see literally every one made and I mean, you'd think when your views are so radically different maybe you'd go back and finish the movies we talk about.

Except Lake Mungo. That movie was just bad and you're all bad people for recommending it!!

But we're all entitled to our own pet movie hates too. I dunno man, it just seems like you'd like a lot more movies if you watched them fully.

Regarding your werewolf question, I liked Late Phases a lot and would recommend it to everyone. I also thought Howl was a bunch of fun.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 1, 2016

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Hollismason posted:

Brotherhood of the Wolf is...

I haven't seen this one in ages but I feel like that's actually a spoiler.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Brotherhood of the Wolf also just loving takes a huge left turn off a video game battle cliff at the end of the movie as well. Like suddenly it becomes a video game boss fight.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
But its certainly the go to movie to scratch your french medieval martial arts werewolf flick itch.

edit:

and I don't mean medieval martial arts as in swords and poo poo, there's a baffling amount of kung fu fighting going on

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
I still believe there are a lot of ways to go with subgenre.

Werewolves are not like Vampires or Zombies in that respect; this particular type of monster has not been done to death.

I picked up some sweet concept art during a random google search:

Underworld werewolves were pretty convincing until the vampire werewolf crossbreed and whatever the gently caress that thing was in Awakening.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

The Beast Must Die is my favorite werewolf movie because it's a funky 1970s mash-up of Agatha Christie and The Thing.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Hammer's Curse of the Werewolf is good and Oliver Reed is great in it.

I just blind bought The Boy Who Cried Werewolf off Amazon so Hey, I'll let ya know.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Movie guys, what are some interesting or good looking scary movies coming out soon (like for this Halloween season)?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

The Bananana posted:

Movie guys, what are some interesting or good looking scary movies coming out soon (like for this Halloween season)?

Blair Witch looks very exciting. Is a new sequel no one knew about. From the guys who did You're Next

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=girSv9UH_V8

Ouija 2: Origin of Evil looks really drat good. 1950s Period Piece horror film. Mike Flanagan directs previous films were Oculus and Hush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaiZYCSECC4

31 Rob Zombie's new film sees him again casting his wife Sheri in a movie about killer clowns or some poo poo. Looks good though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SBHFmLkF-E

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 1, 2016

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Ouija 2: Origin of Evil looks really drat good. 1950s Period Piece horror film. Mike Flanagan directs previous films were Oculus and Hush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaiZYCSECC4

#DontfuckmeFlanigan

I'm actually looking forward to Oujia 2 which is a phrase I never thought would pass my lips.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I think you guys are trolling me about ouija

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

We're really not, watch the trailer

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm not I really like Michael Flanagan's works so far and he's a good director.

Let Us Prey is another synthpop horror soundtrack by the way. It's pretty good. It's also a great film.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 1, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ravenkult posted:

Don't read the comments. Whatever you do.

I didn't even read the article. It's on Yahoo and they try to install poo poo on my phone whenever I go there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Hush, I finally got around to watching it the other night under probably the best possible circumstances. Dogsitting alone in a woodsy area, not completely in the middle of nowhere but it felt like it compared to my normal city surroundings. Definitely added to the experience.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Irony.or.Death posted:

We're really not, watch the trailer

The Quija trailer looks pretty bad too IMO...

Coupled with the rock bottom scores on both RT and IMDB, it doesn't look to be worth a watch.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ObamaPhone posted:

The Quija trailer looks pretty bad too IMO...

Coupled with the rock bottom scores on both RT and IMDB, it doesn't look to be worth a watch.

Yeah, the first Oujia was poo poo because it was obviously going to be poo poo.

We're talking about the sequel no one wanted until we saw the trailer and Flannigans name on it. Pay attention.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
RT and IMDb are BS.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

K. Waste posted:

RT and IMDb are BS.

What site do you visit for ratings then?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

ObamaPhone posted:

The something awful dot com forums

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finally got around to seeing We are still here, and loved it. I can't remember the last time I saw a film change gears so quickly. It convincingly sets the audience up for an eerie, atmospheric ghost story - then banks left into Evil Dead so loving hard. I appreciated that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

ObamaPhone posted:

I step outside the cave and bask directly in objective, positive experience of The Good. Then I assess the degree to which this quality was manifested within the material universe by the film.

I then express this as a number of stars between one and five; although since there are "half stars," this is secretly a ten point system.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

ObamaPhone posted:

I don't rate movies, I watch them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ObamaPhone posted:

Why would you visit a site for ratings?

Just find a couple of reviewers with similar tastes to yours.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This. Or maybe form your own opinions and ignore what the two biggest wastes of data on the internet have to tell you. IMDB and RT are the equivalent of putting every over opinionated, under educated "Critic" in one place and letting them fling their poo poo at each other as they fight for dominance.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

joylessdivision posted:

This. Or maybe form your own opinions and ignore what the two biggest wastes of data on the internet have to tell you. IMDB and RT are the equivalent of putting every over opinionated, under educated "Critic" in one place and letting them fling their poo poo at each other as they fight for dominance.

What do you think this thread is

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've been watching Stranger Things on Netflix, and was wondering...what are some other modern horror movies that are filmed as if they're from a different era? House of the Devil comes to mind, maybe Planet of Terror and Death Proof too (if you can consider Death Proof a horror movie). What others?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TBeats posted:

What do you think this thread is

It's 8.77 - represented visually through unpopped corn-cob emojis, and the various mathematical symbols required to represent .77 of an unpopped corn-cob emoji.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

K. Waste posted:

I don't rate movies, I watch them.

You can do both you know.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is why I usually rely on RT's audience ratings because RT critics don't know how to rate poo poo.

IMDB is an even worse rating system because all ratings are clustered between the 5.5 and 7.5 mark.

Scott Weinberg on RT usually reviews movies that I'm into.

joylessdivision posted:

RT audience scores are usually legit.

Movies with pumped up critic scores and low audience scores look to be artificially inflated by people who worked on the film itself.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

I've been watching Stranger Things on Netflix, and was wondering...what are some other modern horror movies that are filmed as if they're from a different era? House of the Devil comes to mind, maybe Planet of Terror and Death Proof too (if you can consider Death Proof a horror movie). What others?

The Conjuring, The Conjuring 2, The Woman in Black, Black Death, Shutter Island, The Witch, Bone Tomahawk.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

ObamaPhone posted:

RT audience scores are usually legit.

Movies with pumped up critic scores and low audience scores look to be artificially inflated by people who worked on the film itself.

Wouldn't it be more likely to be the reverse? Where as a critic you would need a small body of work or a professional publication/website to vouch for your career, where audience score all you need is an account?

So if you wanted to avoid people who worked on a film puffing up it's score, you should only look at, say the top critics reviews of a film?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm tempted to post the Boob Marley chart of ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ObamaPhone posted:

The Conjuring, The Conjuring 2, The Woman in Black, Black Death, Shutter Island.

You don't understand what I'm asking...I'm not talking about films set in different periods. I'm talking about movies filmed in the style of a different cinematic era. For example, House of the Devil is filmed as though it was made in the 80s, Planet of Terror was filmed as if it was a 70s grindhouse movie, etc.