Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

redeyes posted:

I do think it is hilarious that the first product apple has made in years that people actually want badly, costs way too much to buy.

The iMac Pro is a huge bargain compared to the Mac Pro. You have to upgrade the Mac Pro to get the 1 TB SSD and Vega 56 that comes standard with the iMac Pro, the Mac Pro doesn’t come with a great display, and retailers regularly take $1K off that base iMac Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There’s this computer called the Mac Mini. You can currently get it with a 6-core i7 that until this last revision was better than what shipped in the 27” iMac and there’s little reason to believe there won’t be an 8-core Mini option come the fall. You can add any AMD GPU you want as long as you use an external housing.

It doesn’t tick the boxes the way a lot of us would like but it does tick the boxes.

Mac Mini would be perfect if it had an extra m2 SSD slot. I would also prefer they make the power supply external so that the Mini could be even smaller on the desk.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Mac Mini would be perfect if it had an extra m2 SSD slot. I would also prefer they make the power supply external so that the Mini could be even smaller on the desk.

The Mac Pro having a T2 and what appears to be a replaceable SSD gives me hope, though to be honest I'm perfectly fine with using external storage on a Mac Mini.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m pretty sure companies have tried that and been sued into oblivion. I think there was one that managed to put OS X on PC’s, but I can’t recall if they ever got a single unit out the door before Apple jumped all over them.

I’m okay with the current set up. The Mac Pro is for peacocking Youtubers, dedicated professionals, and corporate expense accounts. Apple doesn’t care about volume selling. When they release the benchmarks it’ll probably be the fastest desktop around ($35k model only) and they’ll use that as bragging rights to make the rest of their lineup look better.

Yeah, there was some group that had super detailed instructions on how to make near flawless hackintoshes. Then they got the idea to make their own and sell them. I want to say this was 15 years ago or something? Anyhow you can still see the smoke from the crater Apple Legal made.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You're probably think of Psystar, the company that flew too close to the sun by selling hackintoshes preloaded a decade ago.

There's nothing saying that you can't take the guts of a machine and re-sell them, that's perfectly fine. You just won't make any money unless you have a gimmick. That's what the Modbook people do to make Touchscreen mac laptops.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 5, 2019

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Here is a question....

What would people say the Mac Pro 2013 Trash Can is worth these days now that we know the new one is coming out? Especially when you consider a 2018 Mac Mini is $1,200 if you want to match the minimum 16GB of RAM and 256GB of SSD Storage.

Is it just stupid to even think about snagging one of those due to how hosed up it is?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Here is a question....

What would people say the Mac Pro 2013 Trash Can is worth these days now that we know the new one is coming out? Especially when you consider a 2018 Mac Mini is $1,200 if you want to match the minimum 16GB of RAM and 256GB of SSD Storage.

Is it just stupid to even think about snagging one of those due to how hosed up it is?

Personally, if you had a few hours, a Threadripper system with gpu passthrough works great and would be twice if not 3 times faster than a trashcan.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mu Zeta posted:

I am extremely pleased that the mini has an internal power supply. I personally do not like having giant AC transformers sitting on my floor/hanging off the desk, esp. if said transformer has a proprietary-ish barrel plug.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Astro7x posted:

Here is a question....

As a curiosity piece or as a computer? You get an 8 or 12 core ivy bridge, two supercharged 280Xs and up to 64gb DDR3 and 1 tb storage. It's not going to hold up.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Counterpoint: Apple IIe

Counter-counterpoint: Apple //c

IIGS fo' life.

But the Apple I/II were really Steve Wozniak's babies, and he loved himself expandable computers you could tinker with.

Lazyhound posted:

asinine product idea: a kit to mount a Mac mini logic board in an ATX case, with a TB3–>PCIe breakout board.

Sonnet has a 1U rackmount case instead of an ATX midtower that does exactly this.

phongn fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 5, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Waiting for a fanless Mac they can weld shut

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Anyhow you can still see the smoke from the crater Apple Legal made.

Apple’s legal department is something else. The Qualcomm court loss was more about Intel loving up their 5g chips so Apple had to settle or be stuck with lovely modems.

MrBond posted:

I am extremely pleased that the mini has an internal power supply. I personally do not like having giant AC transformers sitting on my floor/hanging off the desk, esp. if said transformer has a proprietary-ish barrel plug.

The Mini really is perfect. Getting that power supply inside such a small case is one of Apple’s better engineering feats.

I wish I had a use for the new Mini. My old one is finally hitting the limits of even modest use. The day I realized it couldn’t output the right resolution to my new monitor was a sad one.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Is there a significant difference from the nTBP Macbook pro vs touchbar, other than the obvious (and 2 fewer ports?). Need a Mac laptop for work and trying to decide between Air and 13" MBP with a roughly ~2000 CDN$ budget.

Sadly I don't see any 2015 rMBP models available from Apple refurb, and I'm reluctant to order 2016-2018 refurbs due to the keyboard issues. :(

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

This might be a question for the display thread, but is there a go-to USBC/Thunderbolt monitor with lots of ports? Or would you be better off buying a thunderbolt dock and a cheaper display? Pretty huge price variations for both the hubs and the displays, not sure which might be junk to be avoided.

Don't need eGPU, just want a similar setup to Apple's old thunderbolt display where you can have ethernet etc. plugged in, plus charging.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escape Goat posted:

Is there a significant difference from the nTBP Macbook pro vs touchbar, other than the obvious (and 2 fewer ports?). Need a Mac laptop for work and trying to decide between Air and 13" MBP with a roughly ~2000 CDN$ budget.

Sadly I don't see any 2015 rMBP models available from Apple refurb, and I'm reluctant to order 2016-2018 refurbs due to the keyboard issues. :(

The ntb has the worse keyboard. At least the new ones will be replaced or have the latest revision. And the ntb is now a three year old chip set I think?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

MrBond posted:

Yes this view is totally consistent with being happy to use external storage, GPU & everything else which is hanging off the mini in use.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
We’re two different people.

I have no problem with it because I already use a storage server for media backup and archive. 150-200GB is enough for all of my necessary programs, personal detritus, and my current major project. Everything else gets backed up, and 10GbE — much less TB3 — makes this painless.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wooger posted:

Yes this view is totally consistent with being happy to use external storage, GPU & everything else which is hanging off the mini in use.

The difference being that you can take that eGPU enclosure and those drives (or a storage server) and plug them into other computers. They’re kinda standalone, for all that they make up the internal contents of a tower. An external PSU just becomes another proprietary point of failure/loss for the Mini. Wanna take the Mini and sell it/use it elsewhere? Well just make sure it’s got its special power supply. Your colleague bought a Mini off craigslist? Oh poo poo it doesn’t have the power supply. Losing the eGPU doesn’t break the basic functionality of the computer.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The difference being that you can take that eGPU enclosure and those drives (or a storage server) and plug them into other computers. They’re kinda standalone, for all that they make up the internal contents of a tower. An external PSU just becomes another proprietary point of failure/loss for the Mini. Wanna take the Mini and sell it/use it elsewhere? Well just make sure it’s got its special power supply. Your colleague bought a Mini off craigslist? Oh poo poo it doesn’t have the power supply. Losing the eGPU doesn’t break the basic functionality of the computer.

Yes, losing parts of my desktop computer which essentially never moves is a constant worry of mine.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I'm confused, if the power supply's internal, how is it just going to be randomly "missing"?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I don't think taking the power supply out of the Mac Mini would make it smaller in a useful way, it's still gotta fit big ram chips and the fan. I like it better as is, I'm not using an eGPU.

If they ever make a NUC sized desktop I can see them using an external power supply.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The bottom line seems to be minus people grumbling about what they want (versus what they need) Apple now serves pretty much everyone. Prosummers (most people complaining in this thread) either should use an iMac pro, fully specced up iMac or a mini.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wooger posted:

Yes, losing parts of my desktop computer which essentially never moves is a constant worry of mine.

🤷🏻‍♂️

An external PSU made the XBox 360 slightly shittier.

Bro like a year and change ago you got all huffy at me because I, a teacher, suggested some school-specific use cases for the iPod touch. How dare I think such dumb poo poo? I’m such a moron.

Apple’s actually done something pretty cool here by eliminating proprietary power cables and chargers/bricks from its entire lineup, iOS lightning devices and the non-retina MBA notwithstanding. Given the history of first-party bricks and cables on Apple hardware that’s a pretty big philosophical shift.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Escape Goat posted:

The non-Touch Bar 13" MBP hasn't been updated in 2 years, has a worse cooling setup to save money, and will never get the 3rd-gen butterfly keyboard with the membrane to attempt to prevent dust ingress. I have no idea why Apple is still selling this Mac.

If you can squeeze a 2018 13" TB MBP into your budget, that's the best computer. The 2018 13" TB MBP went from 2 to 4 cores, and its butterfly keyboard can be updated into the one in the 2019s. The 2018 Air is fine if you can't get a 2018 13" TB MBP.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's cool for their bottom line since without magsafe laptops are being smashed right and left

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

A

Electric Bugaloo posted:

🤷🏻‍♂️

An external PSU made the XBox 360 slightly shittier.

Bro like a year and change ago you got all huffy at me because I, a teacher, suggested some school-specific use cases for the iPod touch. How dare I think such dumb poo poo? I’m such a moron.

Apple’s actually done something pretty cool here by eliminating proprietary power cables and chargers/bricks from its entire lineup, iOS lightning devices and the non-retina MBA notwithstanding. Given the history of first-party bricks and cables on Apple hardware that’s a pretty big philosophical shift.

Yeah agreed. Also, the whole narrative of Apple doesn’t make good computers anymore (or doesn’t care about the Mac) I think can finally be put to bed. They need to fix the keyboards on the laptops, but everything over the last year and a half tells me they’ve course corrected (very well I might add)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I'm confused, if the power supply's internal, how is it just going to be randomly "missing"?

I’m responding to the complaint that the PSU isn’t an external brick. Those bricks are always one of the first points of failure on Apple products, and computer products in general. It’s not uncommon to see Apple products on the used market missing special power bricks, that then go for lots of money on their own if Apple isn’t still selling them because people need them to power their old computers and displays and poo poo. It’s been a problem in some of the labs I’ve been in. Every time an expensive piece of hardware that could reasonably hold up for years ships with a proprietary external unit required for it to function the customer loses and so does every subsequent person who might use/own the device.

And for all that we all love MagSafe, old MacBook power bricks and cables require the gentlest handling, ‘lest they go to utter poo poo and require a $75 replacement.

redeyes posted:

It's cool for their bottom line since without magsafe laptops are being smashed right and left

Are they? Ever since the last generation of MagSafe the computers were often light enough to get dragged by the magnet. My old MBA got yanked off a bed once by its MagSafe cord.

Personally I like that I can order a pack of cables from Anker and all of them could charge my computer.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

The non-Touch Bar 13" MBP hasn't been updated in 2 years, has a worse cooling setup to save money, and will never get the 3rd-gen butterfly keyboard with the membrane to attempt to prevent dust ingress. I have no idea why Apple is still selling this Mac.

If you can squeeze a 2018 13" TB MBP into your budget, that's the best computer. The 2018 13" TB MBP went from 2 to 4 cores, and its butterfly keyboard can be updated into the one in the 2019s. The 2018 Air is fine if you can't get a 2018 13" TB MBP.

Thanks I had no idea and was close to buying one. This product lineup is a mess. Will try for 2018 Touch Bar refurb.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

LionArcher posted:

The ntb has the worse keyboard. At least the new ones will be replaced or have the latest revision. And the ntb is now a three year old chip set I think?

I foolishly assumed it was recently updated along with the others. Thanks for the heads up!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I loved MagSafe as much as anyone, but it’s not as big a deal when your laptop lasts 8 to 12 hours on a single charge. If you’re using it as a desktop replacement you probably want a dedicated dock anyway.

When laptops got 3 hours of juice and you had to charge them multiple times a day, MagSafe had more value. I still miss it though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Godzilla07 posted:

The non-Touch Bar 13" MBP hasn't been updated in 2 years, has a worse cooling setup to save money,

if by “worse” you mean sized appropriately for its 15W cpu, I guess? The touchbar models all have 28W cpus, so they need more airflow.

Because of that lower power cpu and a relatively large battery, the nonTB 13” probably still has the best battery life of any MacBook with a Retina display. If that or a physical Escape key are important over all other things, it’s still a decent computer despite not having been refreshed in a while. Otherwise, yeah, stay away.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Apple should make a pro keyboard using its butterfly mech and charge $999 for it :smuggo:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just started a new job and I'm using a MacBook pro 2017 model.

Any recommendations on how I can reduce the amount of dongles? I need two monitors (HDMI or displayport) and Ethernet.

Bonus points if it's portable as I'll be traveling often.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gyshall posted:

Just started a new job and I'm using a MacBook pro 2017 model.

Any recommendations on how I can reduce the amount of dongles? I need two monitors (HDMI or displayport) and Ethernet.

Bonus points if it's portable as I'll be traveling often.

You really need one dong per monitor unless you get a $400 dock and even then it’s not gaursnteed

Weedle
May 31, 2006

e: nm

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Godzilla07 posted:

I like my 2016 nTB :shrug:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Apple should make a pro keyboard using its butterfly mech and charge $999 for it :smuggo:

Plus 99$ for the keyboard legs :smuggo:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shaocaholica posted:

Escape Goat posted:

Plus 99$ for the keyboard legs :smuggo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4mY4FHyT80

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I like my 2016 nTB :shrug:

The non-TB 13" was the best option when the only advantage the 13” TB MBP had was Touch ID. Today the lack of updates have created a significant performance gap between the non-TB and TB MBPs, and the Air has Touch ID, better battery life, and an improved keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Most people bought nTB MacBooks because the Air was so bad. Now that the MBA is good again there’s not much of a difference.

If Apple kills off any product lines in the next year it’ll be the 12” MacBook or the nTB MBP.