Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Locator posted:

I don't get this cat thing at all. I mean I'll redeem the codes to have the missions to run, but it just strikes me as the dumbest thing ever. Maybe I'm just an old. :corsair:

:radcat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
They should have made the reward another cat captain instead of a pointless flag.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bloom posted:

They should have made the reward another cat captain and a pointless flag.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I used to think nothing could be worse than trying to play in a clan with Flamu. Then I watched strangers123 for a bit today. Holy poo poo, what an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I think I just had the worst team ever. I was in an Acasta (which as far as I can tell is complete trash) trying to finish a 'spotting damage' mission, and at the end of the battle my time had managed to kill.... 1 ship on the enemy team. Wow...

Finished my spotting damage mission though, so never have to drive that loving ship again (well, until the very next directive that I'm sure will give me more loving DD missions that I have to complete in the trash-pile).

Seriously, is there a way to make the Acasta good at something? It has 6km torps and gets spotted at 6.6+ km with camo so it seems like most other DD's spot it before I spot them. It has poo poo guns that shoot slow and can't keep up with the turning speed of the ship. It has the British super fast smoke, so can't sit in smoke and shoot dudes. No speed boost.

I'm bad at DD's, but I just don't see what niche this thing fits into, besides bad.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

toadee posted:

I used to think nothing could be worse than trying to play in a clan with Flamu. Then I watched strangers123 for a bit today. Holy poo poo, what an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

With either of them at least you win a lot.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAUGT6bsl4Q

Barely started watching, but aircraft carrier open beta soon it seems. Currently in the video for me, they are recycling video form earlier and talking why the change like they've said before.

Edit: Video is embedded here and also includes the signup button:
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/carriers-rework-test/

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 12, 2018

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

The Locator posted:

I think I just had the worst team ever. I was in an Acasta (which as far as I can tell is complete trash) trying to finish a 'spotting damage' mission, and at the end of the battle my time had managed to kill.... 1 ship on the enemy team. Wow...

Finished my spotting damage mission though, so never have to drive that loving ship again (well, until the very next directive that I'm sure will give me more loving DD missions that I have to complete in the trash-pile).

Seriously, is there a way to make the Acasta good at something? It has 6km torps and gets spotted at 6.6+ km with camo so it seems like most other DD's spot it before I spot them. It has poo poo guns that shoot slow and can't keep up with the turning speed of the ship. It has the British super fast smoke, so can't sit in smoke and shoot dudes. No speed boost.

I'm bad at DD's, but I just don't see what niche this thing fits into, besides bad.

The Acasta's gimmick is that it doesn't have speed boost. I don't know why wargaming thought that was a good one probably to sell free xp but there you go.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

James Garfield posted:

The Acasta's gimmick is that it doesn't have speed boost. I don't know why wargaming thought that was a good one probably to sell free xp but there you go.

Acasta, Icarus, and Jarvis are all missing shouted boost. Not sure about the higher tiers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

RN destroyers don't get speed boost, they get the high acceleration and superior handling that RN cruisers have instead.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Alpine Mustache posted:

Acasta, Icarus, and Jarvis are all missing shouted boost. Not sure about the higher tiers.

None of them have the speed boost (except the premiums), they get improved acceleration and handling.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I had a good game in the Acasta yesterday. Where the Acasta shines is in it's gun arcs: you can sit behind an island and shoot over them at targets like USN gunboats.

Other than that it's a defensive DD. The torps are more useful for area denial than actually hitting things and the smoke is your Get Out of Getting Fragged Free card. It's a half-decent gunboat once you adjust your aim time to the floaty shells and you can really put the hurt on other DD's who don't or aren't used to using their guns (which still happens at tier 5, I pretty much solo'd a fubuki down because he barely used his guns.)

Against BB's and such you use your superior handling and acceleration to dodge their shots (if there are no islands handy) and annoy them to death with your guns.

Against Omaha's you can even citadel them from close-ish range with your AP :getin:

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
i prefer the lightning over the cossack. been playing both for a bit but the extra set of torps and the 360 degree rear turret on the lightning does it for me.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Whaled it up and bought 5x of the royal navy containers. Kinda want to pick up either Warspite or doubloons from Gallant, and after picking up Bert Dunkirk which easily was the most important buy, otherwise wouldn't have had enough sovereigns.

Still zero UK destroyer missions from any containers though.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Hazdoc posted:

If you guys are applying to BOATC, be sure to say so in this topic. Maybe even ping me or Shep in discord to get accepted. There's been a couple of randos that have been declined recently and I don't want it to be some poor goon who is being too quiet. We don't have the space for anyone but goons here~

I applied to BOATC and poked you on Discord, Hazdoc. I'm in for Clan Wars too, if you need another DM/Wooster driver.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Yeah, you're added. There's 2 other apps, is there any other goons trying to get in?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Was a bit surprised Ranked finished last week, I thought there was one more to go. Oh well. I finally got the Yammy in time for a bit of rank play before it finished, and I won some real clutch games. In one I had to kill a DD and cap a base, then delete a CL at 23KM when they were at 990+ points:

The very next game we somehow go from this:

to this:

while an invisible Shima repeatedly tried to torp me

nah, son:

I had to take a break after those, but looking forward to trying some more next season.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, you're added. There's 2 other apps, is there any other goons trying to get in?

Yeah I posted last page, in game name is tenfingerstentoes

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

The Locator posted:

I had a game where my team (barring me) accomplished a grand total of -1 kills before we ran out of points.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Welp today I thought I might come back to the game after a few weeks off but instead the port turned out to be too much for my ancient rear end computer, and something overheated and died.

Might take me a while before I can afford to fix my poo poo. [GOON] folks, don't kick me (ig name megaflex4000) for inactivity. Keep that drunk madman bulba in check. :v:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I was toast, but the game ended before he could fire (which got me a Dreadnought in a Worcester :toot:):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

I don't know if MM was trying to troll me or the entire enemy team. Perhaps both.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rorac posted:

I had a game where my team (barring me) accomplished a grand total of -1 kills before we ran out of points.

Yeah, ok. You win. :stare:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

How is Warspite nowadays? Trying to decide between that and getting the doubloons out of Gallant.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Lunsku posted:

How is Warspite nowadays? Trying to decide between that and getting the doubloons out of Gallant.

Decent heal, good stealth, amazing maneuverability. Armor is meh, but the guns are laser-accurate with good pen and plunging fire. I've devstruck (no detonation) full health DDs at 14km.

Gallant is fun too, but I enjoy the Warspite more.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I have Gallant already, that is, so the options are Warspite or 4500 doubloons.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Warspite's not a bad choice for T6 Ranked. Doubloons are pretty neat to have, though.

Though by having Warspite, you now knock her off the list of "ships you can pull from supercontainers"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also the Warspite's guns are big enough to overpen most tier 7 BB's bow armor.

But they also turn on molasses. 54.5 seconds to do a 180 without any skills is pretty bad.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also the Warspite's guns are big enough to overpen most tier 7 BB's bow armor.

But they also turn on molasses. 54.5 seconds to do a 180 without any skills is pretty bad.

The turret traverse was buffed, it is perfectly serviceable.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
What do people think about the Charles Martel and later French cruisers? I’m only four or five battles into the Martel but I really don’t like it so far. I mostly don’t know what it’s supposed to be good at; it doesn’t have any utility at all, no radar, lovely sonar, lovely torpedoes. Am I really just supposed to cruise around at max range spamming HE? I’ve heard the Henri described in similar fashion, so I’m guessing it doesn’t get any better...

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Velius posted:

What do people think about the Charles Martel and later French cruisers? I’m only four or five battles into the Martel but I really don’t like it so far. I mostly don’t know what it’s supposed to be good at; it doesn’t have any utility at all, no radar, lovely sonar, lovely torpedoes. Am I really just supposed to cruise around at max range spamming HE? I’ve heard the Henri described in similar fashion, so I’m guessing it doesn’t get any better...

In randoms burning a ship to the ground at max range can be fun and rewarding. It is though why you don't see French cruisers much in competitive play though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Velius posted:

I like my Charles M, it is a good all purpose heavy cruiser. You have great guns with great fire chance, speed boost to get into/out of trouble, okish torps to send at oblivious people and now the reload booster to really gently caress up a DD in the open. Sure in ranked or high end competitive it probably doesn’t rate but for dunking of pubs it’s fine.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Figured in the end that if I want mid-tier battleship gameplay, I have Scharnhorst for that. Doubloons it was.

Also with the final British containers, zero DD quests seen with almost all the (non-tier VII+ DD tied) containers available from tasks and 5x whaled from the store opened v:shobon:v. Hard way it is if I want to open the UK DDs.

Got my first tier IX today, with Lion. Going for the cancer BB line, probably starting from Cleveland for cruisers, now only need ot decide on DD line to go for at some point.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Velius posted:

The reload boost probably lets it be more aggressive, but the French cruisers are never going to be good at much besides dealing damage.
The Henri feels better at doing things besides max range HE spamming, but I played the Charles Martel and most of the St Louis before they got reload boost. It still doesn’t have any utility, but with the weird armor (and heal) it can HE spam from less than 18 km away, or it can AP spam, and it does enough damage that you can sometimes be influential in a match that lasts less than 15 minutes.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

The AP on the Charles and Saint Louis is very underrated. I once nuked a Cleveland from full health in one volley. Be sure to consider it with the reload booster.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Blindeye posted:

The AP on the Charles and Saint Louis is very underrated. I once nuked a Cleveland from full health in one volley. Be sure to consider it with the reload booster.

Yeah, I have a video I need to upload to youtube where I destroy a Zao with my Henri.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
In rank 15 this season the Henri was really good at killing all the bad minotaurs with AP.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Just had a hilarious fight in the Mass. T10 game with strange matchmaking. 1 DD per side, 1 T8 CV and no T9's, about an equal split between 8's and 10's.

Our team was playing way too timid and we were losing all the caps so I said the hell with it and charged and called for my team to follow me... and they shocked me and did!

I ended up with 115k damage and 3 kills, but the funny part was my final two kills were near the end of the game, I was charging a North Carolina and a Moskva, and I was splitting them so I was angled to both, but one on each side, and my secondaries were blazing away and got them both. I got a double close-quarters expert and a double strike, and our T10 BB complained about me kill stealing. :v:

Good times.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Velius posted:

It's my favorite T8 cruiser. Put double rudder shift mods on it and it turns like a DD (5-second rudder shift), then keep red BBs around 15km and cackle as you watch volley after volley whiff. Once the BBs are thinned out a bit you can start flanking and running DDs down.

What helps is if you try to play on your team's losing flank - the french CAs are best when kiting and by doing that you can often delay their push long enough that your team's strong flank will overwhelm their enemies and come through the mid/enemy spawn.

Also if you don't mind playing dangerously the CM is excellent for supporting DDs at the start since you can keep up with them pretty well, and it has the firepower now to seriously put the hurt on red DDs. You gotta plan to have an island in front to hide behind and re-orient to kite, though.

Don't hesitate to burn a reload booster when you see a DD or a broadside cruiser, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Players in this game are strange... or stupid. Probably both.

I see a Cleveland (ally) that's about 30% health near me in a close game and I'm almost full health in the Mass so I cut in front of him and block a torp and then charge into the cap taking all the fire, and after a few minutes the enemy DD, cruiser and BB are all dead, so I thank the Cleveland in chat for supporting me (he didn't run off, and kept shooting the entire time).

Another (dead) player chimes in "Lol.. what support, he just hid behind you".
Me: "Uh.. that was sort of the point, I went in to tank the enemy and he kept shooting to support me."
Dead guy: "What? You meant to do that?"

Is trying to keep another player alive to keep his guns in the game such a mysterious thing to these people? I could have never taken out the DD and Cruiser with my super slow reloading BB guns in the time that both of us took out all three, and probably would have ended up dead to torpedoes if he hadn't shot the DD with his super fast HE spamming guns.

Game was a victory, which is sort of the goal.