Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
But even if gods do need a vascular system, how does one strikes fear into their heart? It just pumps blood (or ichor) in & out, it's not capable of thinking.

DoctorTristan posted:

Thing is, Thor's in pretty much the same situation. He can't actually promise Redcloak/Dark One anything - he's only one god acting alone and the changes Redcloack wants would need the agreement of all the gods.

And at least one god would refuse the deal outta spite.

Also, do note that Redcloak magic aura is still red, and not purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gun Jam posted:

And Durkon's is blue-white, not yellow. But the color of their magic auras isn't what's important here, it's the color of their gods' essences.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Gun Jam posted:

But even if gods do need a vascular system, how does one strikes fear into their heart? It just pumps blood (or ichor) in & out, it's not capable of thinking.

And at least one god would refuse the deal outta spite.

Y'know re-reading this comic I'm not sure I can trust Thor here. I could see redcloak casting his spell and then Thor/gods wresting control away and using Redcloak and the purple quiddity as flux for a temporarl arc welder.

Heedless of what it does to TDO or Red.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Why would I settle for equal footing with the people who've been keeping me down when I finally have the chance to get some payback?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That wouldn't work out the way Thor wants. Thor's plan is to spot weld the existing rifts, then keep spot welding any that come up. The plan won't make the entire world Snarlproof.

This means that cheating the Dark One instead of "Well, now that your servant has proven your importance we can start negotiating for your continued support" would be no better than nuking this world and trying to farm a new color in later ones.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

DoctorTristan posted:

Thing is, Thor's in pretty much the same situation. He can't actually promise Redcloak/Dark One anything - he's only one god acting alone and the changes Redcloack wants would need the agreement of all the gods.

I don't think that the changes would need the agreement of all the gods. The gods deliberately took a step back from the world, right? They indirectly get their clerics to do stuff, but otherwise they let mortals do their own thing. So Redcloak doesn't need total buy-in from all the gods - he just needs enough gods to tell their followers "stop murdering humanoids for XP" for it to actually stick. That doesn't need to be a large number. Like Redcloak says at some point, all they're asking for is a fighting chance. For instance, if they could just get the Twelve Gods to tell their followers "don't attack Gobbotopia, let them exist in peace", that's probably enough to satisfy Redcloak/TDO. Even without the Twelve Gods, Hinjo already seems to be settling in on that new island on the Western continent, right? The Order could probably personally talk him into peace with Gobbotopia, without necessarily needing the gods to get involved.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah this isn't going great, I think getting Redcloak and TDO's cooperation will involve actually convincing them of the sheer number of worlds that have died and that TDO probably won't make it to the next one so this is in fact the only chance.

Which may cause them to double down on the other plan instead though so hard to say.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Redcloak dies. All is lost because the Dark One doesn't have another priest able to cast 9th level spells.

Then an orc follower of Banjo (who previously appeared in only one panel) shows up and saves the day with orange quiddity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Roy goes Super Saiyan and generates his own quiddiddity when the Snarl explodes Belkar

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's kind of funny how OotS is doing an arc about negotiation with Redcloak, whose aim is for goblinoids to be treated like people, at the same time Wizards of the Coast is reconfiguring D&D's ethical structure to allow its traditional villain races to be morally complex.

It feels like Redcloak already got what he wanted, in a way.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Redcloak got what he wanted with Gobbotopia. TDO still wants to have an even footing with the other gods and Redcloak needs to be rid of Xykon to be truly safe though.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Roy goes Super Saiyan and generates his own quiddiddity when the Snarl explodes Belkar

Belkar's the god (of war) he would be the one with a quiddity.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Wanderer posted:

It's kind of funny how OotS is doing an arc about negotiation with Redcloak, whose aim is for goblinoids to be treated like people, at the same time Wizards of the Coast is reconfiguring D&D's ethical structure to allow its traditional villain races to be morally complex.

It feels like Redcloak already got what he wanted, in a way.

It would almost be to WotC credit if only they weren't so terrible towards BIPOC authors

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Even without the Twelve Gods, Hinjo already seems to be settling in on that new island on the Western continent, right? The Order could probably personally talk him into peace with Gobbotopia, without necessarily needing the gods to get involved.

Hinjo is a reasonable dude, but I don't think he's going to love the notion of making peace with those who massacred and enslaved his countrymen.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah I don't think a happy ending is "and then everyone agreed to be nicer to goblins and the gods said no one could ever do anything about the slaves of Gobbotopia."

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

That would be an incredible rear end pull at the end of the comic.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Would it? Just how did the Dark One ascend, anyways? Just by go up a level?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bell_ posted:

A lot of people believed in him when he died and killed a lot of people in his name in revenge.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bell_ posted:

I think the circumstances of his death? He was a powerful warlord and leader of all goblins. Guessing when he died all of the collective goblin spirits sort of elevated him, if normal D&D weirdness re souls and belief holds true in OOTSverse. It seems to be the case, at least in the broad strokes.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

Well I guess gods don't need to breathe :v:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I just wanted to say thanks to whomever linked the "Dilbert as a Gamer" comic strip.

I read the entire story in the time it took the last two OOTS strips to come out. Is hilarious.
Would recommend to all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shugojin posted:

I think the circumstances of his death? He was a powerful warlord and leader of all goblins. Guessing when he died all of the collective goblin spirits sort of elevated him, if normal D&D weirdness re souls and belief holds true in OOTSverse. It seems to be the case, at least in the broad strokes.

More than that, after his death (where he was betrayed and murdered at peace talks, as the enemy was hoping that killing him would end the war), his soldiers went on a rampage and slaughtered... Thousands? Tens of thousands? A million? A lot of humans in retaliation over the course of a year. (So, the exact opposite of what his killers wanted when they had him assassinated at a negotiation he had come to in good faith. Good job.) From what I understand (though I didn't read that book myself, I learned this secondhand), that mass act of... Devotion, or worship, or whatever you want to call it, was a major part of his ascension. But I could be mistaken.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah I don't think a happy ending is "and then everyone agreed to be nicer to goblins and the gods said no one could ever do anything about the slaves of Gobbotopia."

But what about all the human-on-human crime in Greysky city?

The gods already created/allowed an awfully imperfect world. If you're willing to drill down to the level of individuals being wronged I don't think a happy ending is possible. Maybe the "happy ending" is that the enslaved peoples in Gobbotopia all go to their appropriate afterlife reward once they've be whipped to death?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hinjo is a reasonable dude, but I don't think he's going to love the notion of making peace with those who massacred and enslaved his countrymen.

He's already done that though, albeit on a smaller scale. O-Chul kickstarter story Before Hinjo was a paladin, the outlying villages were being attacked by hobgoblins, and a bunch of people were killed. Hinjo talked his way onto the mission to fix it, and ultimately used diplomacy to help O-Chul broker a peace treaty with the hobgoblins who had previously killed the Azurites. Plus, if making peace is what's needed to get Redcloak to help seal the rifts, Hinjo has a strong paladin moral code combined with some of his uncle's practical flexibility. In a moral sense, he would definitely put "saving the entire world" over "maintaining a revanchist casus belli against Gobbotopia." And in a practical sense, what's the point of refusing to make peace with Gobbotopia? If they don't get Redcloak onside, then Azure City and the rest of the world will be destroyed long before they can take it back.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ponsonby Britt posted:

He's already done that though, albeit on a smaller scale. O-Chul kickstarter story Before Hinjo was a paladin, the outlying villages were being attacked by hobgoblins, and a bunch of people were killed. Hinjo talked his way onto the mission to fix it, and ultimately used diplomacy to help O-Chul broker a peace treaty with the hobgoblins who had previously killed the Azurites. Plus, if making peace is what's needed to get Redcloak to help seal the rifts, Hinjo has a strong paladin moral code combined with some of his uncle's practical flexibility. In a moral sense, he would definitely put "saving the entire world" over "maintaining a revanchist casus belli against Gobbotopia." And in a practical sense, what's the point of refusing to make peace with Gobbotopia? If they don't get Redcloak onside, then Azure City and the rest of the world will be destroyed long before they can take it back.

But at the same time, he's a ruler now, and telling his people to suck it up for the abstract idea of peace with those who massacred their families and friends isn't gonna work too well either.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Your other objections make sense, but, not to put too fine a point to it, the fact is that Azure City people live as slaves in cages and get whipped for the amusement of goblins. Most people would consider this a not-ideal state of affairs.

Even with the end of the world looming, Hinjo is likely to try to find a way to fix that, even if it's just "the moment the world-ending thing is under control we are setting sail for so-called Gobbotopia with all the allies we can muster and obliterate anything green or orange in it."

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

paradoxGentleman posted:

Your other objections make sense, but, not to put too fine a point to it, the fact is that Azure City people live as slaves in cages and get whipped for the amusement of goblins. Most people would consider this a not-ideal state of affairs.

Even with the end of the world looming, Hinjo is likely to try to find a way to fix that, even if it's just "the moment the world-ending thing is under control we are setting sail for so-called Gobbotopia with all the allies we can muster and obliterate anything green or orange in it."

Lmao look at this #azurefragility smdh

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Why not ask them to free the slaves or some sort of negotiated compromise? I.e convert them into "workers on loan" for reparations like the WW2 German POW's that USSR put to work fixing the poo poo they broke but were allowed to go back by the mid 50's?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why not ask them to free the slaves or some sort of negotiated compromise? I.e convert them into "workers on loan" for reparations like the WW2 German POW's that USSR put to work fixing the poo poo they broke but were allowed to go back by the mid 50's?

Minus the ones that get executed and worked to death first, even after the agreement is in place, right?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

A.o.D. posted:

Minus the ones that get executed and worked to death first, even after the agreement is in place, right?

Would be historically accurate. Not all those Germans got back home either.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A.o.D. posted:

Yes? What's more important, getting revenge or ensuring that all existence continues?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Worse atrocities have been forgive for less reward.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Well, what has existence done for me lately?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Frankly, existence seems kind of a bother

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The afterlife is great! Real life blows.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

McTimmy posted:

The afterlife is great! Real life blows.

I'm pretty sure they don't even get afterlife?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Eeepies posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't even get afterlife?

They get afterlife only if the gods blow up the world to keep the Snarl from breaking free and consuming all the souls on it.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

A.o.D. posted:

Well, that's politics for you

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

World Famous W posted:

Frankly, existence seems kind of a bother

It has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Question IRL posted:

I just wanted to say thanks to whomever linked the "Dilbert as a Gamer" comic strip.

I read the entire story in the time it took the last two OOTS strips to come out. Is hilarious.
Would recommend to all.

the what?

ikanreed posted:

But at the same time, he's a ruler now, and telling his people to suck it up for the abstract idea of peace with those who massacred their families and friends isn't gonna work too well either.

I mean, it's worked in real life.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Behold: https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Gamer_Dilbert/5636111/