Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Warmachine posted:

I would imagine the Minion GIF ratio would probably be a good way to rate the quality of these channels.

Number of minon memes is probably directly proportional to seniority level on the channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

priznat posted:

Number of minon memes is probably directly proportional to seniority level on the channel

I know seniority of age and time with the company tend to track together, but I think it is important to distinguish which seniority you mean.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I know seniority of age and time with the company tend to track together, but I think it is important to distinguish which seniority you mean.

Haha, indeed

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MJP posted:

It's ServiceNow

I'm so sorry.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Importantly, that works when both you (the manager) and the employee are on the same page about the fit and performance of the employee in the role. It sounds like that may not be the case in the situation originally described.

Yeah the employee may not agree that moving on is the right move for them, so things like helping them find that next job might not be appropriate. But I think it’s about mindset for the manager. This is about what’s ultimately right for both parties. Underperforming employees are rarely happy about it even if they don’t realize it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sydin posted:

I'm so sorry.

If they've got three devs they can put on a SNOW task they probably have enough of an infrastructure around it that their implementation probably isn't poo poo. Probably. SNOW has enough customization potential that they might be able to get a lot of automation out of it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My last job was a Fortune 500 Technology company of 80,000+ employees and they couldn't get Service Now to be anything but a useless steaming pile of poo poo despite paying out the rear end to bring on a bunch of their consultants to help with implementation and stand up.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

priznat posted:

I’ve never worked in a slack shop but I imagine them to be an endless scroll of animated gifs.
At the last place I worked at I kept a folder on a thumb drive titled "weird poo poo for Slack" that I would save various vaguely-industry-themed terrible things I'd find (usually in the OSHA thread) and whenever I had a few free minutes I'd paste one into the Screwing Around channel. I'd usually get between 2 and 20 "what gently caress" and "where do you get these?" per post.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

Should I be telling the boss he needs to be on the calls where the devs explain why there are hoops, why it costs, etc.?

This is probably the best move. Let someone who isn't his underling explain that it's not possible without this large budget allocation, and if they don't like that answer to take it up with THEIR boss.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
You know your day is starting off well when the first email you send starts with As per my last email and is sent to someone who doesn't understand time zones.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

lol this company

abruptly switching major supplier: yeah we can just yank that plug in a month because the other switch was done by soemone we don't like

singular maintenance guy can't keep up with the rate at which things break: going on for 5 years + and haven't even listed a position for a second person

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
If the time zone difference is 12 hours then it just cancels out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

grillster posted:

If the time zone difference is 12 hours then it just cancels out.

Work with India. It's 11 hours and 30 minutes different. Trying to explain to someone the 30 minute difference when they have a tenuous grasp on time zones is like a Laurel and Hardy skit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've learned that the average person has not been outside of their time zone, and does not comprehend that time zones exist.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Lockback posted:

Work with India. It's 11 hours and 30 minutes different. Trying to explain to someone the 30 minute difference when they have a tenuous grasp on time zones is like a Laurel and Hardy skit.

:sigh::hf::sigh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Accounting at 16:30 yesterday: “hey can you approve these invoices?”

Accounting at 8:30 this morning: “hey what the gently caress are you waiting for, also we escalated this to the C level.”

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Lockback posted:

It's funny because I do work with a team there and depending on the schedule of the request, the answer may be 24 hours out. The thirty minute difference thing is something I just fuzzy-math into an hour in my head without much consideration just due to the nature of the relationship.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
AA can't schedule a bunch of 15 minute 1:1's update: my 1:1 which was originally going to take place tomorrow has finally been rescheduled... for the fourth week of June.

Okay.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I've learned that the average person has not been outside of their time zone, and does not comprehend that time zones exist.

Even DST fucks with dummies. I had some dickhead admin assistant schedule a VTC for “1pm EST” in July and when I called to ask if they meant EST or EDT they got really huffy and said they didn’t know what EDT was. Of course they meant EDT!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Midjack posted:

Even DST fucks with dummies. I had some dickhead admin assistant schedule a VTC for “1pm EST” in July and when I called to ask if they meant EST or EDT they got really huffy and said they didn’t know what EDT was. Of course they meant EDT!

Huh, that's something I haven't considered. Probably because I haven't had to deal with that difference yet.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

I've made it a BIG point to make sure everything is marked xDT or xST, and any cross timezone stuff will be of the format their time (my time). Way too much timezone fuckery in my life to want to deal with that poo poo again. I can make the conversions in my head near instantly, and it saves me headaches with scheduling.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Midjack posted:

I mean, did you think he wouldn't be on daylight savings time in July or something? EST vs EDT seems like the kind of thing that can probably be mostly figured out by context.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lockback posted:

I mean, did you think he wouldn't be on daylight savings time in July or something? EST vs EDT seems like the kind of thing that can probably be mostly figured out by context.

some places don't have daylight savings time!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lockback posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

some places don't have daylight savings time!

Arizona comes to mind. And also the rest of the world. Point being, never assume the person on the other end knows your time zone and DST status.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm prioritizing the guillotine line to get 80% of the results for 20% of the effort. Which of these categories of workers gets moved forward?

(1) - Responds to mundane company intranet news posts with glowing praise about the topic
(2) - Re:All's the entire organization whenever someone sends out retirement / leaving-the-company e-mails, praising the now-former employee with lots of corporate jargon?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Warmachine posted:

Arizona comes to mind. And also the rest of the world. Point being, never assume the person on the other end knows your time zone and DST status.

the time when the euros have gone to summer time and we have not is annoying

also part of indiana?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Warmachine posted:

The Navajo Reservation follows DST, so you could literally drive north into the Res and have the time change.

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!
Recently my boss decided to reorganize the department, so instead of having everyone of all levels report directly to her now half of us report to someone who reports to her. None of us got title/pay reductions and really none of us had any path to promotions anyhow so no change there. I was sort of excited at the time since my new supervisor seems more competent/sane.

Last week my boss chewed me out for 2+ hours over email because she found out I have been doing a thing she told me in writing to do, and which has been visible on her month end reports for actual years without a word ever being said. Best guess is that something was changed during budget time at which point suddenly we were always at war with Eurasia and it was my fault for not knowing that. New supervisor was copied but didn't make a peep until I directly reached out to her asking for an intervention. She then made excuses to me about how my boss is really busy, and stepped in only to ask for clarification on what changes were being requested.

This week new supervisor reached out to her reports ask if we could all as a team improve our skills by... watching some webinars about coping with covid.

Net result of restructuring: we're going to move some deck chairs around and hope the noise sufficiently covers the sound of my boss's ongoing emotional abuse.

danielski
Aug 14, 2003
Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the time when the euros have gone to summer time and we have not is annoying

also part of indiana?

Indiana started observing DST statewide in 2006.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lockback posted:

We have locations worldwide and some of them were dialing in, so while I was pretty sure they meant EDT I've lost that bet before. If they'd just said "Eastern" it wouldn't have been a question but they tried to sound sophisticated and the lovely response from the McDonald's reject claiming never to have heard of EDT after I asked for clarification was excellent. They got let go a few weeks later for other similar dumb mistakes followed by doubling down with a bad attitude, always a bold move for a contractor.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

I'm prioritizing the guillotine line to get 80% of the results for 20% of the effort. Which of these categories of workers gets moved forward?

(1) - Responds to mundane company intranet news posts with glowing praise about the topic
(2) - Re:All's the entire organization whenever someone sends out retirement / leaving-the-company e-mails, praising the now-former employee with lots of corporate jargon?

#1, they're prioritizing the company over the people, even if they're both sycophants

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Warmachine posted:

Try living somewhere that is on a half hour time zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY this is one of my favourite videos that explain how much time zones suck.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shoulda adopted that Swatch decimal time they tried (.beats) in the late 90s :haw:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Sundae posted:

Neither of these people have spines so a butter knife would be sufficient for their beheadings

EDIT: Also, after millions of years, Microsoft Outlook will now block re:all storms.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
UTC and decimal time. Perhaps our new globally connected workforce will move forward.

In other news, who has the link to the payroll 00000 story?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
My issue with time zones today was two students in the training class who didn't read that the course is for PDT when they are in EDT. For many reasons it's marked in bold text repeatedly. We offered courses in EDT and they were available when they signed up. But now they are full. And I have a waiting list. I understand some complaining about this but we're at hour 3 of me getting chat messages about it. And I'm ten minutes away from throwing one out.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

UTC and decimal time. Perhaps our new globally connected workforce will move forward.

In other news, who has the link to the payroll 00000 story?

Military time everywhere. We’re a round the clock operation, gently caress your “at 9 tomorrow.”

Also gently caress the following:

9:00
09:00
09 :00
09: 00
09 : 00
9 : 00

And all that poo poo.

Yes my job involves a lot of calculation off off manually entered time stamp, why do you ask?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Military time everywhere. We’re a round the clock operation, gently caress your “at 9 tomorrow.”

Also gently caress the following:

9:00
09:00
09 :00
09: 00
09 : 00
9 : 00

And all that poo poo.

Yes my job involves a lot of calculation off off manually entered time stamp, why do you ask?

NOPE. The date should be shown as number of days since 12:00 am on January 1, 1900. Times are shown as the appropriate fraction of a day. So it's 43964.2027777778 right now.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Tomfoolery posted:

NOPE. The date should be shown as number of days since 12:00 am on January 1, 1900. Times are shown as the appropriate fraction of a day. So it's 43964.2027777778 right now.

Every other time system is literally garbage, possibly with the exception of "seconds since January 1970 00:00:00 UT", as long as you appropriately account for leap seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Tomfoolery posted:

1900 or 1904?

The great thing about standards is that there are lots of them

quote:

The 1900 Date System

In the 1900 date system, the first day that is supported is January 1, 1900. When you enter a date, the date is converted into a serial number that represents the number of elapsed days starting with 1 for January 1, 1900. For example, if you enter July 5, 1998, Excel converts the date to the serial number 35981.

By default, Microsoft Excel for Windows uses the 1900 date system. The 1900 date system enables better compatibility between Excel and other spreadsheet programs, such as Lotus 1-2-3, that are designed to run under MS-DOS or Microsoft Windows.

The 1904 Date System

In the 1904 date system, the first day that is supported is January 1, 1904. When you enter a date, the date is converted into a serial number that represents the number of elapsed days since January 1, 1904, starting with 0 for January 1, 1904. For example, if you enter July 5, 1998, Excel converts the date to the serial number 34519.

Because of the design of early Macintosh computers, dates before January 1, 1904, were not supported. This design was intended to prevent problems related to the fact that 1900 was not a leap year. In the past, Excel for Macintosh defaulted to using the 1904 date system for workbooks originating on a Macintosh. However, Excel for Macintosh now defaults to the 1900 date system and supports dates as early as January 1, 1900.