Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/992813470553788417

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

More insanity. Imagine what the economy would be like if people put their money into productive investments that built companies and created jobs, instead of dead money inside a condo tower.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

More insanity. Imagine what the economy would be like if people put their money into productive investments that built companies and created jobs, instead of dead money inside a condo tower.

Excuse me sir, but this is Canada.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Who wouldn't be excited about cleaning dirty money?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Excuse me sir, but this is Canada.

Of course, how foolish of me for thinking rationally.

Seriously though, this country is colossally screwed. No wonder the Minister for Haberdashery has finally got religion on pipelines.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Oh boy! Complete and utter teardowns are now sub $1 million in Vancouver now?

$949,000
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18992067/1595-E-20TH-AVENUE-Vancouver-British-Columbia-V5N2K7

quote:

Quiet location in desirable Kensington-Cedar Cottage neighborhood. Two bedroom bungalow with two bedroom basement suite on a 37.7x66 ft corner lot with RT-10 two family zoning. NB: 3.75 foot easement on west side of property. The house needs lots of work but at this price it's well worth it. Nearby schools: Selkirk Elementary (1750 East 22nd Ave) and Gladstone Secondary (4105 Gladstone Street). Longtime tenants would be happy to stay on. Please give notice for showings. Don't miss this opportunity.

I dunno anything about the development industry but with this good location, a corner lot and duplex zoning you'd think some small time developer would be leaping on this?

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 6, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Femtosecond posted:

$949,000
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18992067/1595-E-20TH-AVENUE-Vancouver-British-Columbia-V5N2K7

I dunno anything about the development industry but with this good location, a corner lot and duplex zoning you'd think some small time developer would be leaping on this?

There's gotta be something else wrong with that property. Any gas stations nearby? One lovely picture from an occluded angle screams bad neighbours of some kind, and probably a tenant/squatter dispute based on the remark about the current occupants.

Realtors are sleazier than your average used car seller on Kijiji. If you know a friendly Realtor it's always fun to have them look up an ad and read off the private realtor-to-realtor notes.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 6, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's gotta be something else wrong with that property. Any gas stations nearby? One lovely picture from an occluded angle screams bad neighbours of some kind, and probably a tenant/squatter dispute based on the remark about the current occupants.

It's just about the smallest lot you can get, less than 10 feet from its back neighbour and less than 5 from the side neighbour (corner lot).

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

$949,000

Yeah, because there's value in that. In any sane city, this is called a called a slum.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/garossino/status/993243190655242240?s=21

Laffo

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/joycemurray/status/992811228241235969?s=21

Joyce is on the case!

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

In other news, Joyce Murray emerges from cave, attends meeting.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 25, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I had a pretty nice thatched hut 300 years ago where I retired after tending the goats.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

gently caress realtors and their hell spawn:

http://www.scmp.com/culture/music/article/2144729/who-lil-tay-behind-illusion-nine-year-old-asian-rapper-and-internet

quote:

The rising internet stars foul-mouthed videos are viewed by millions, but despite her persona as a streetwise Los Angeles gangsta, clues point to her living in Vancouver, with a realtor mother behind the camera

quote:

Some of Lil Tays videos veer into the downright awkward. One includes a lengthy encounter with notorious Chicago rapper Chief Keef, whose orbit has a reputation for gunplay and violence; a member of his Glo Gang entourage-slash-record-label was shot dead in a 2015 drive-by, and the shooters then ran over and killed a 13-month-old baby as they made their escape.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 7, 2018

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

"Whether she is getting in a fight with Bhad Bhabie, aka the Cash-Me-Ouside girl, or hanging with Instagram star Woah Vicky at Coachella music festival, or with rap star Lil Pump (she is littler, for the record), its all the same."

Well at least she's in good company.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Burn it all to the loving ground

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/badjohn1987/status/993180578143879172?s=21

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Here's the original post he's referencing from David Eby:

http://davidebymla.ca/news/the-school-tax-increase-on-homes-valued-over-3m-some-factual-information/

Also lol the tax is only actually increasing on $3m+ houses. gently caress those whiny millionaires.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Taxes are theft and why were there potholes? Minimum wage is too high and why was there a 45 minute line at the Tim Hortons drive thru this morning? My children already graduated, why should my taxes go to schools?

Why do the effects of my lovely attitude keep creeping into the bubble i live in? This is an outrage.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Powershift posted:

Taxes are theft and why were there potholes? Minimum wage is too high and why was there a 45 minute line at the Tim Hortons drive thru this morning? My children already graduated, why should my taxes go to schools?

Why do the effects of my lovely attitude keep creeping into the bubble i live in? This is an outrage.

Why is there nothing except single family homes in my neighbourhood? I want to downsize my boomer empty nest but there are no condos or townhouses. Also Im late for my protest against zoning changes.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vancouver city planners: Oops, we hosed up and knew less than posters in this thread

quote:

How former Vancouver city planners would have done things differently
From funding the missing middle to asking more of developers, former city planners address affordability

Ann McAfee grew up in the 50s and 60s, when Vancouver was an entirely different place from what it is today. It was "an unspectacular city in a spectacular setting," she says.

"I can remember in the 50s, when False Creek was all industry and pollution everywhere, and my dad had to walk home in front of the car with my mom driving because you couldn't see it was a London pea soup," McAfee told CBC News.

And so it's no surprise that in her 32 years working at city hall, first as senior housing planner and then as co-director of planning, a major focus was making Vancouver a nicer place to live. McAfee helped catapult Vancouver to the top of global "livability" lists, but in the meantime, rents and real estate prices were creeping ever higher.

"We were so busy patting ourselves on the back, we probably should have been much more serious about what senior government programs, investor programs" meant for the city, she said.

McAfee is one of three former Vancouver planning directors who spoke with CBC about how they would have done things differently if they'd known how unaffordable housing would become.

Each has different ideas, from better long-range planning to a stronger focus on housing for middle-income families, but they all share a sense of dismay about the current crisis in Vancouver.

McAfee, who co-directed the planning department from 1994 to 2006, says the city should have paid closer attention to federal initiatives like the Investor Immigrant Program, which attracted big money from overseas.

"It's only now we're talking about speculator taxes and taxes on non-resident ownership. That discussion should have happened in the 1980s, early 90s, when those programs were starting to encourage money to come in," she said.

But her regrets don't end there.

The city should have also pushed harder against the federal government when it backed away from funding co-op and non-profit housing in the 1980s, and lobbied the provincial government for more help, McAfee said.

The missing middle

Her former co-director of planning, Larry Beasley, has lingering regrets about how Vancouver negotiated density bonuses for developers the contributions that companies make in return for being allowed to build extra density beyond what the zoning allows.

"We had all done the calculations on how much wealth was being created as you allow people to go from industrial development to high density housing. And we scratched our heads and we said, well, what else is it that the public might need?" he said.

The city settled on requiring contributions toward amenities like libraries and public spaces, as well as sites for low-income housing.

"What we should have said in those meetings: Why don't we try some middle income housing as well as low income housing?" Beasley said.

Those density bonuses nag at McAfee, too.

She wishes the city had required developers to actually build rental housing on the sites they provided.

"We probably should have pushed harder," she said.

Planning for the future

McAfee and Beasley were preceded in the planning director role by Ray Spaxman, who held the job from 1973 to 1989.

Spaxman said it would have been impossible during his years in city hall to predict where things were heading. The federal government was still in the housing business and foreign money was a relative non-factor.

His real regret is what he sees as a lag in long-term planning for housing needs and the lack of information provided to the public about the latest research on the housing crunch.

"One of the purposes of the planning department is to look ahead ... and report on what appears to be happening," Spaxman said.

"With the housing circumstances, there was a time, some long time ago, when it was obvious that things were going wrong, and it would be important then to be able to discuss in the community what was causing those things to go wrong."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/regrets-they-have-a-few-city-planners-reflect-on-making-vancouver-more-livable-1.4651705

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPbjPOgRtyA

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 8, 2018

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Oh, they have regrets? Their incompetence has us in this mess. These people are horrible and their mea culpa is a disgraceful joke.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oh, they have regrets? Their incompetence has us in this mess. These people are horrible and their mea culpa is a disgraceful joke.

Yep. :thermidor:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Guys, we can't anticipate all problems. That's why our department is called the reacting department, not the planning depar... oh.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Nah I don't blame these guys. In the era these planners worked in planning was mostly, as they state, about making the city look nicer. They were concerned about neighbourhood level zoning issues and the transformation of Downtown Vancouver from low rise warehouse and industrial to denser residential. I think it was fair for them to be focused on that.

City planners shouldn't have to be that concerned about the movement of global wealth. That should be an issue for the Federal and Provincial governments. These guys really have no powers nor the revenue tools to impact these broad issues and they shouldn't have to concern themselves that much with it. They should be spending their time on making roads safe, making buildings accessible, improving building code, etc.

I mean now in the last five years we know and it's become a problem because of inaction by the feds and province in the 90s. The presence of global investment should now influence zoning plans, but only because the Feds and Province still haven't gotten a grasp of this issue.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 9, 2018

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Nah I don't blame these guys. In the era these planners worked in planning was mostly, as they state, about making the city look nicer. They were concerned about neighbourhood level zoning issues and the transformation of Downtown Vancouver from low rise warehouse and industrial to denser residential. I think it was fair for them to be focused on that.

City planners shouldn't have to be that concerned about the movement of global wealth. That should be an issue for the Federal and Provincial governments. These guys really have no powers nor the revenue tools to impact these broad issues and they shouldn't have to concern themselves that much with it. They should be spending their time on making roads safe, making buildings accessible, improving building code, etc.

I mean now in the last five years we know and it's become a problem because of inaction by the feds and province in the 90s. The presence of global investment should now influence zoning plans, but only because the Feds and Province still haven't gotten a grasp of this issue.

Respectfully disagree. Part of being a planner is being aware of what is needed for your city under various growth models, and being aware of population demand. These planners' job is to anticipate what could possibly happen, and it should have been obvious given the population projections that a different product mix was needed, regardless of capital flow (i.e. the missing middle). They failed at that. While I agree that that the responsibility for global capital flows is outside their personal scope of responsibility, environmental awareness is a requirement. They also did nothing to discourage the politicians (Robertson) from accusing those of us who had issues with this as racists. There was willful ignorance on the part of these people, and now a disaster is upon us, and we have no plan to respond thoughtfully. The fact these people are hitting the media now tells me they are looking to have their guilt in their role in all of this assuaged. They won't get it from me.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The ever popular trend of passing off Vancouver as an American city in film.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Ccs posted:

The ever popular trend of passing off Vancouver as an American city in film.

Rumble in the Bronx comes to mind. I remember reading an old Jackie Chan interview where he said something to the effect of "originally, I tried to make the movie look it was in New York, but then I just decided to shoot it any old way."

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I heard at the time he wanted to call it rumble in Vancouver, but that could have been just a rumour. Still remember watching them film the hovertank scenes.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

There was willful ignorance on the part of these people, and now a disaster is upon us, and we have no plan to respond thoughtfully. The fact these people are hitting the media now tells me they are looking to have their guilt in their role in all of this assuaged. They won't get it from me.

Yeah I am looking forward to the current Burnaby city planners coming forward in 15-20 years looking for forgiveness for the monstrous situation they are creating right now.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Respectfully disagree. Part of being a planner is being aware of what is needed for your city under various growth models, and being aware of population demand. These planners' job is to anticipate what could possibly happen, and it should have been obvious given the population projections that a different product mix was needed, regardless of capital flow (i.e. the missing middle). They failed at that. While I agree that that the responsibility for global capital flows is outside their personal scope of responsibility, environmental awareness is a requirement. They also did nothing to discourage the politicians (Robertson) from accusing those of us who had issues with this as racists. There was willful ignorance on the part of these people, and now a disaster is upon us, and we have no plan to respond thoughtfully. The fact these people are hitting the media now tells me they are looking to have their guilt in their role in all of this assuaged. They won't get it from me.

The one person that would have been capable of advising Robertson about anything was the most recent planner, Brent Toderian, not mentioned in this article. He was actually fired from his job for reasons still unknown. It's possible he may have pushed back and created enough friction to become a problem. We don't know.

ocrumsprug posted:

Yeah I am looking forward to the current Burnaby city planners coming forward in 15-20 years looking for forgiveness for the monstrous situation they are creating right now.

While I am ok with giving some of these older Vancouver planners a pass due to having different priorities, the current Burnaby planners are doing terrible work in destroying affordable working class housing in favour of luxury condos and should be ashamed. This is why I could never do this job. The tension between going along with whatever your political masters want in order to save your job and resigning out of principle would be incredibly stressful. Recall for the older Vancouver councillors that they too would have been beholden to their pro development NPA political masters.

Looking at that picture of False Creek again, I feel comfortable not holding McAfee and Beasley that responsible for our current situation because they really did need to put the lions share of the Community Amenity Contributions from development land lift toward infrastructure. There was clearly very significant other priorities. When you walk through that North False creek area now you walk along a beautiful seawall and parks the whole way. All of that was brand new infrastructure paid by money from redevelopment. I could imagine there was limited funds leftover to fund subsidized housing. If the Federal government was dumping cash on municipalities and they built condos instead of affordable rental anyway I'd be more critical.

Spaxman did work in an environment when the Feds were a willing participant and he did plan for coops and affordable rental. His career was largely over before Expo 86 and this issue really began.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah the feds cutting funding for actual affordable housing in the 90s played a pretty big role.

ocrumsprug posted:

True this. Metrotown already looks Garden City as gently caress, and you would think that whole concept would have been thoroughly debunked in the 60s, but nope.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Now that upper middle class Vancouverites are realizing that they won't have the same lifestyles as their parents they're discovering all sorts of things.

https://twitter.com/DannyOleksiuk/status/994253836930899968

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

https://bossip.com/1640367/welp-fak...n-the-internet/

quote:

When we found out about this activity last week we had to dismiss her, Jim Lew, director of business development for Pacific Place Group, told Daily Hive via email. Allegedly, Tian used the penthouses and exoctic cars of clients to add to Lil Tays aesthetic.

heh

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

To be a fly on the wall during that uncomfortable conversation.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Now that upper middle class Vancouverites are realizing that they won't have the same lifestyles as their parents they're discovering all sorts of things.

Has anyone sent him a copy of Das Kapital yet? He's just about reaching the mid-19th century...

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Has anyone sent him a copy of Das Kapital yet? He's just about reaching the mid-19th century...

Hell, Piketty spells it out in easy to understand modern English in Capital in the 21st Century

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

WTF does that word salad tweet even mean? We need new words? This is whats necessary and immediate? This stupid country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

WTF does that word salad tweet even mean? We need new words? This is whats necessary and immediate? This stupid country.
He wants some kind of analytical framework to explain & contextualize the current political & economic conditions that were facing. But it cant be Marx because it has to let people like him keep all their money & power and continue to accumulate more of it.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 11, 2018