Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The Excalibur II is just....the dumbest thing. "We made this game, with all this stuff to do and see! But gently caress you! If you want this character's ultimate weapon, speed through it and do absolutely nothing that isn't required!"

It's just a cute little secret that's of literally no consequence to anyone playing the game normally.

You are the dumbest thing by getting so upset about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The Excalibur II is just....the dumbest thing. "We made this game, with all this stuff to do and see! But gently caress you! If you want this character's ultimate weapon, speed through it and do absolutely nothing that isn't required!"

It's just for bragging rights, really. By that stage, the characters are already doing, or are close to, max damage with their normal attacks. It's a slightly more practical (but less easily obtainable) Proof of Ultima, or whatever the award's called.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Eh, I'm not actually upset by it. I don't really play IX, and have never even attempted to get the Excalibur II when I have. It's just bad game design, even for a bragging rights reward. I put it about on the same level of XII's chests that lock you out of the one spear, designwise.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Eh, I'm not actually upset by it. I don't really play IX, and have never even attempted to get the Excalibur II when I have. It's just bad game design, even for a bragging rights reward. I put it about on the same level of XII's chests that lock you out of the one spear, designwise.

:psyduck: It's not 'even for', it's 'the entire point of the item'. You did this impressive feat, have a shiny token.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

victrix posted:

:psyduck: It's not 'even for', it's 'the entire point of the item'. You did this impressive feat, have a shiny token.

It's less the impressive feat part, and more that you're given very little if any indication that it's something that even exists in the game, aside from the Tetra Master card. And I think maybe one completely vague NPC. That's why it's on the same level of bad game design as XII, to me.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You don't know what bad game design means, Excalibur II is literally just an easter egg bragging rights reward for speedrunners. For all intents and purposes it might as well had been a key item with a congratulatory message for doing this silly thing rather than a weapon.

Zodiac Spear in the original XII on the other hand was bad game design because it's an actually useful weapon that was hidden behind a strategy guide rather than some optional challenge.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

victrix posted:

We can only hope that there's a trophy for it if they ever remake IX

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'd rather just like to agree to disagree, and leave it. It's not important, and while I personally think it's poorly designed, I am perfectly okay with someone else thinking it isn't.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dude, did you know that in Metroid Samus turns into a girl if you speed through the game fast enough? What a bunch of bullshit! Worst game design ever!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
feel like that's a bit disingenuous there bud

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'd rather just like to agree to disagree, and leave it. It's not important, and while I personally think it's poorly designed, I am perfectly okay with someone else thinking it isn't.

You just said a wrong dumb thing but that's okay because this is the Final Fantasy Megathread and we would all be rotting in prison by now if saying wrong dumb things was illegal.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
So many RPGs are like, the least fun things to speedrun, and FF9 is so slow it sounds boring as gently caress, unless there are some crazy glitches that let you skip huge chunks of the game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

How Rude posted:

So many RPGs are like, the least fun things to speedrun, and FF9 is so slow it sounds boring as gently caress, unless there are some crazy glitches that let you skip huge chunks of the game.

I think the only two like that for IX are skipping the cutscenes, which is only possible on an original PSX, and one minor one to skip a bit of talking in the beginning.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There was some talk of FFX earlier, and I wanted to throw in that I love FFX's equipment system. At first I thought having only two slots would be really limiting and weird, but in practice, I love that weapons and armor aren't just a linear progression of stronger pieces, but instead (at least until Celestial weapons are a thing) are situational and each have strengths and weaknesses.

I like that about FFXIII, too, and I'd like that more if the weapon upgrade system wasn't just "grind gil to buy materials."

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's less the impressive feat part, and more that you're given very little if any indication that it's something that even exists in the game, aside from the Tetra Master card. And I think maybe one completely vague NPC. That's why it's on the same level of bad game design as XII, to me.

Excalibur II is basically an Easter egg. Yeah, it's technically Steiner's strongest weapon, but it's pretty much on the level of the invisible secret weapons in FFXII IZJS in that it's even stronger than his actual ultimate weapon, absurdly hidden, and more than a little silly. It'd be one thing if, like, Steiner didn't have an ultimate weapon on par with other characters' ultimate weapons and Excalibur II was supposed to take that role. If that was the case, I'd agree it's a bad idea. But as it stands, it's an Easter egg and nothing more. Hell, by the time you get it, you barely even get a chance to use it, unless you decide to back out of the final dungeon and go kill Ozma with it or something.

FFXII's chests, in general, suck. As much as I love FFXII, I'm not a fan of excessive random loot in a single-player game. Hell, I don't really love it in a multiplayer game all that much. The IZJS version added a lot more one-time, guaranteed-item chests, and that helps out a whole lot. In IZJS, it's probably balanced okay now. Sometimes you get nice things from chests, sometimes you get gil and Potions, and if you're just a normal player going through the game, it'll all work out. But the stupid :spergin: min-maxer in me knows that lots of these chests have rare drops that are really good and makes me want to keep leaving and re-entering to reopen them and it's awful for me.

That Zodiac Spear chest in vanilla, poo poo, that was dumb. It's gone in IZJS, though. The Zodiac Spear is still in, but you get it a different way, and it's a guaranteed item this time.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

On FFX weapons, I've heard in a couple places that the Celestial Weapons also have passive buffs and stuff on them, but I've never been able to find out what those are, unless the whole ignoring defense thing and damage tied to HP are the only ones.

ETA: I only bring that up, because aside from the ignoring defense thing, they're really not all that hot, aside from being good passives that you don't personally have to customize on a weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

On FFX weapons, I've heard in a couple places that the Celestial Weapons also have passive buffs and stuff on them, but I've never been able to find out what those are, unless the whole ignoring defense thing and damage tied to HP are the only ones.

As far as I know, that's it. Caladbolg, World Champion, Spirit Lance, and Godhand do more damage the closer the wielder is to max HP. Nirvana and Onion Knight do more damage the closer the wielder is to max MP. Masamune does more damage the lower Auron's HP is, so it's unique. (If only Auron could hit higher than 99999 with it, he'd probably be able to stand up to Tidus and Wakka.) That, and they ignore defense, but I think that's all.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

As far as I know, that's it. Caladbolg, World Champion, Spirit Lance, and Godhand do more damage the closer the wielder is to max HP. Nirvana and Onion Knight do more damage the closer the wielder is to max MP. Masamune does more damage the lower Auron's HP is, so it's unique. (If only Auron could hit higher than 99999 with it, he'd probably be able to stand up to Tidus and Wakka.) That, and they ignore defense, but I think that's all.

I think aside from Auron, the other characters aren't any stronger than the would be on any enemy with 0 defense. Though, there's no abilities to replicate that, so it's one reason to use them.

The last run through I did of FFX, I was doing some pretty major 'class switching' so the usual physical attackers weren't really doing all that great with theirs. I made Yuna my physical attacker, and she was pretty beast with Nirvana, though, thanks to not really using her MP.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
FFXIV added Triple Triad as a mini game and not Tetra Master so that seals the deal on which is the superior card game. :colbert:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I was pretty ambivalent about XIV, until I saw the pictures of the Fat Chocobo mount. Then I was just "Well, I'll try it eventually." Then I found out about Triple Triad, and it changed to "MUST PLAY". Just waiting for the next sale.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I think aside from Auron, the other characters aren't any stronger than the would be on any enemy with 0 defense. Though, there's no abilities to replicate that, so it's one reason to use them.

The last run through I did of FFX, I was doing some pretty major 'class switching' so the usual physical attackers weren't really doing all that great with theirs. I made Yuna my physical attacker, and she was pretty beast with Nirvana, though, thanks to not really using her MP.

Yeah, Auron's the only one whose weapon is really any stronger against 0 Defense than a normal weapon would be. That stops really mattering, unfortunately, because it's not like everyone won't be hitting 99,999 anyway, and it's not like Auron can break that limit. Plus, the damage boosts for HP/MP don't apply to Overdrives, either, so it doesn't help his Overdrives be stronger than Wakka's and Tidus's. Kind of a shame, but eh.

But yeah, it's really just the Defense-ignoring that matters with the Celestial Weapons. Beyond that, you could customize up a replacement that could do everything else you need it to.

FFX's equipment system is great, really. I like pretty much everything about it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

FFX's equipment system is great, really. I like pretty much everything about it.

I'm a big fan of it too. I like customizing stuff in pretty much any game that will let me do it, and being able to custom make armor/weapons for whatever I'm doing is pretty fun.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Status effect weapons were also pretty good in FFX. Stonestrike/Deathstrike for instant kills, or the Poison/Blind for easy boss fights.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I was pretty ambivalent about XIV, until I saw the pictures of the Fat Chocobo mount. Then I was just "Well, I'll try it eventually." Then I found out about Triple Triad, and it changed to "MUST PLAY". Just waiting for the next sale.

It's really good. Like even if you aren't a huge MMO fan, it's worth playing to 50 on one class just to experience the story, the world, the music, and the really really good translation.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

victrix posted:

It's really good. Like even if you aren't a huge MMO fan, it's worth playing to 50 on one class just to experience the story, the world, the music, and the really really good translation.

I play some MMOs, mostly GW2 right now, but I've tended to be more into free to play ones. I've found it pretty hard to justify a pay to play game in the past, but I've got enough spare money to throw around lately, that I figure why not give it a shot. Those things got me looking, but everything else I read about it makes it sound like something I'd have a good time playing. Especially as my normal MMO buddy is sitting on a copy, so I have someone to pal around with once we both have one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Isn't it also the case that each Aeon's ability to do more than 9999 damage is tied to unlocking a character's Celestial Weapons. Isn't that the case?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I play some MMOs, mostly GW2 right now, but I've tended to be more into free to play ones. I've found it pretty hard to justify a pay to play game in the past, but I've got enough spare money to throw around lately, that I figure why not give it a shot. Those things got me looking, but everything else I read about it makes it sound like something I'd have a good time playing. Especially as my normal MMO buddy is sitting on a copy, so I have someone to pal around with once we both have one.

I actually have the exact same problem, and I really like it - sub fees are hard to swallow.

But that said, if you poopsock a bit, you can knock out the main story in a month or two, so if you can find it on a discount, it's well worth the cost of admission.

It's wow-cloneish in gameplay, but the gameplay is very tight, and the encounters are well designed. Also, and this seems minor, but the global cooldown is longer than wow - it gives the animators time to do some realllllly cool looking poo poo with combat moves. The graphics and animation are top notch.

But really, even if that doesn't appeal to you, the rest is 100% final fantasy, it's a pretty remarkable game. If it wasn't for the sub fee, I'd play it (on and off!) year round - you can play every job on a single character, so there's always something to do.

Plus, I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCcbKY7d0dc

Yeah that's a thing.

And so is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se-ueWupuDI

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Isn't it also the case that each Aeon's ability to do more than 9999 damage is tied to unlocking a character's Celestial Weapons. Isn't that the case?

Just the Crests, so you don't need to do Chocobo racing, lightning dodging or butterfly catching to get Aeons to break the damage limit. You may need to fight Dark Aeons if you're playing the HD version and you miss them the first time around.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Some of them, and it's upgrading them with the crests. Bahamut, Anima, and the Magus Sisters have it innately. Tidus and Rikku's also doesn't appear to be tied to unlocking it on any.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

victrix posted:

I wanna echo this. I'm not a huge MMO fan at all, but it's actually a good time. It probably has the most consistently good music In a FF game in a long time. Playing with goons is pretty awesome too.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I only played XIV the first couple months and keep meaning to go back (it's probably a different game now) but I loved it and playing as a white mage was the best/most intense thing ever

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Are the Elite Trials in Type-0 meant to just look prohibitively difficult, or are they something you can only tackle on a New Game+? I took one that was double my current level and actually thought I was doing pretty well, but my party was whittled down just as I was about to activate some kind of comms tower. It's hard to tell what exactly my objective is beyond "kill all dudes."

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Are the Elite Trials in Type-0 meant to just look prohibitively difficult, or are they something you can only tackle on a New Game+? I took one that was double my current level and actually thought I was doing pretty well, but my party was whittled down just as I was about to activate some kind of comms tower. It's hard to tell what exactly my objective is beyond "kill all dudes."

They're mostly meant for ng+. You can cheese through some of them by using SPP bros, but eh, it's not really worth your time.

Honestly for a lot of reasons, you want to progress to the end of the game as quickly as possible. I can't really say why without spoiling a bunch of stuff, but it's worth it if you enjoy the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just went to fight Zalera in FFXII with my entire team at level 31. So... that was smart.

For anyone who doesn't know: he casts Prime Lv. Death.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FFXIV is the only MMO that I've played to the endgame because it's so remarkably good. I play it on and off, stopped during 2.3 and will probably pick it up again for a couple of months when the expansion comes out. It has the sheer richness you'd hope for from a mainline Final Fantasy, as well as an incredible localisation. And as mentioned, the music rocks too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhr2mLhmdR4

It has very well thought out controller support and a scaleable UI so I can relax and play on my TV.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

Just went to fight Zalera in FFXII with my entire team at level 31. So... that was smart.

For anyone who doesn't know: he casts Prime Lv. Death.

That was my favorite dick move in FF12. :allears:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

That was my favorite dick move in FF12. :allears:

The best part was that I knew he had that, and it wasn't until I saw "Zalera readies Prime Lv. Death" that I thought, "Wait, what level are my characters again?"

Luckily, my second group (who are also level 31) managed to finish him off with a Quickening chain, but I was laughing pretty hard at my own misfortune during the whole Prime Lv. Death animation.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

The best part was that I knew he had that, and it wasn't until I saw "Zalera readies Prime Lv. Death" that I thought, "Wait, what level are my characters again?"

Luckily, my second group (who are also level 31) managed to finish him off with a Quickening chain, but I was laughing pretty hard at my own misfortune during the whole Prime Lv. Death animation.

I just love the cleverness of it. "Oh, you're going to avoid all my attacks by being a prime level? Ahahaha how cute."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I just love the cleverness of it. "Oh, you're going to avoid all my attacks by being a prime level? Ahahaha how cute."

I love all the Esper battles, really. They're gimmick fights, but they're fun and pretty fair gimmick fights. Zalera's just the cleverest bastard of them. I love the Ultima fight, too, for the sheer fuckery she pulls. I find her harder than Zodiark, actually. She terrified me the first time I played the game and noticed she was shuffling through all of the other Espers' special fields.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Sooo, I get that every other faction were monsters and the Swordmaster was all MUH HONOR, but would it have killed the Council of Six and the party to just talk things out? I'm pretty certain I know who the final boss is now, due to the small cutscene between Alternis and Braev after Edea gets the party out of the dungeon, and based on Airy's growing callous disregard for everything that isn't crystal, and like, this whole thing could have been fixed by either the three people in the know opening up about it, or Braev telling his entire forces "kill the fairy on sight. Do whatever you have to do, but just kill the fairy." There's no reason why he couldn't tell his own daughter, at least, and the other two have clearly seen enough to know that the party isn't evil and are being mislead.

EDIT: Also holy poo poo getting to the Sesame Street Count through his dragon power rangers is kicking my rear end, even with Salve-Maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kyrosiris posted:

Some people actually advocate levelling up specifically to 49 just for that fight. I mean, just power through one of the non-crippling side effects, it's not that hard.