Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's deliberate really, the whole point is to add a bunch of customization options. If you think they're broken/inappropriate just don't use them! Especially since you'd have to go in and add the precepts manually anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yeah there's nothing stopping you from just setting up a super powerful ideo if you really want to, who cares have fun :shrug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The idea of balance in Rimworld is both completely self-imposed and entirely imaginary anyways. There's a reason that even the vanilla game has three game modes with like ten difficulty levels.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Asimo posted:

It's deliberate really, the whole point is to add a bunch of customization options. If you think they're broken/inappropriate just don't use them! Especially since you'd have to go in and add the precepts manually anyway.

If it was all entirely unlocked I'd just shrug and say sure, but then there's a few like the fire-related ones that requires the meme, and it's that inconsistency that gets me especially when most of the vanilla stuff is unchanged. They're willing to touch the vanilla precepts a bit because they added a "don't care" tier to fungus, but left skullspikes alone so you're still stuck with the disapproved/desired dichotomy there. I just feel like they were so close to having everything feel fully integrated into the vanilla style and then they skipped that final polish pass so now every time I look at the precept list I'm reminded that half of it is added by a mod.

It wouldn't even be a problem normally because you shouldn't need to touch your precepts all that much so it'd be easy to ignore, except the fluid ideology reform sometimes decides a bunch of precepts are "incompatible" despite being added by one of my memes in the first place and then I have to go back through the list to add those back in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am indifferent to impaling human skulls on spikes.

Like I will do it, socially, but I don't really like it, it's just a bit boring you know? You impale one skull on a spike, you've impaled a thousand.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

isndl posted:

If it was all entirely unlocked I'd just shrug and say sure, but then there's a few like the fire-related ones that requires the meme, and it's that inconsistency that gets me especially when most of the vanilla stuff is unchanged. They're willing to touch the vanilla precepts a bit because they added a "don't care" tier to fungus, but left skullspikes alone so you're still stuck with the disapproved/desired dichotomy there. I just feel like they were so close to having everything feel fully integrated into the vanilla style and then they skipped that final polish pass so now every time I look at the precept list I'm reminded that half of it is added by a mod.

It wouldn't even be a problem normally because you shouldn't need to touch your precepts all that much so it'd be easy to ignore, except the fluid ideology reform sometimes decides a bunch of precepts are "incompatible" despite being added by one of my memes in the first place and then I have to go back through the list to add those back in.
I was going to say I don't quite agree with this but then I remembered the "killing by fire: honorable" precept was locked to fire worshippers and now I have to wholeheartedly agree. :flame:

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

People joke about Rimworld players doing abhorrent things, but creating an ideology that discourages you from building a massive elaborate base? That's a true war crime

Eh, all the problems are solved in a late game base. This way I keep having problems to solve and fewer big raids as I can't accumulate building wealth. Most fights I get into are ones I pick on my terms. Plus I end up focused more on the characters and their gear, limbs, and relationships.

The real crime was stragically switching to venerating polar bears right before the winter of the Horsepocalypse.

Mindless fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 20, 2022

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i dunno if i've asked this before or not, but shelves hide whatever is on that tile from pawns, right? They don't get grossed out by your human carcasses or enormous pile of unsightly gold, so if i build a power conduit under one, will that also be nbd? That -2 beauty disgusts me.

Yet it doesn't seem to hide the highly polished granite slabs underneath, so it might not work.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the shelf itself has a beauty rating which I think just stacks additively with whatever is around it e.g. floor tile or wire. any other item e.g. a corpse or a stack of meat or a chunk will be concealed.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Conduits are ugly but should be negligible in terms of beauty impact if you have artwork nearby, a single poor large wooden sculpture is 50 beauty and it only gets easier from there. It's the impact they have on the colony aesthetic that drives me to hide them under walls.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yeah the trick with shelves is that they hide what's inside of them, but they do not hide stuff that's literally on the floor like flooring or conduit

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
As always, there's a mod for that. I would have to dig through my mod list but it gives me subsurface conduit that takes three steel and noticeably more labor but then it's invisible to both the pawns and me. Waterproof conduit too that can go under water without a bridge.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

taking a wild guess that it might be called Subsurface Conduit

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1609226728&searchtext=conduit

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

They're also immune to Zzzt, looks like, for people who hate that event but don't want to get a circuit breaker mod.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well you can just disable the specific incident if you don't like it, that's a feature of the vanilla game (scenario settings)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
waterproof conduit is in vanilla already, it's the same thing as normal except it can only be placed in a water tile and costs like 10x metal or something.

I feel like zzt should be in and underground conduits being immune is a good choice by the modder. In almost every case i end up embedding everything in stone anyway so it doesn't really matter so much. I don't think i've ever actually lost a colony to fire before, even with deranged pyromaniacs running around. One desert colony i had had basically nothing on the map that could burn, the pyros would get really confused and then run away to try and set 1 stray leaf on fire that was nowhere near the home zone.

Recently i had a lab set up and a pair of dudes with high melee got into a fight and somehow soaked the entire room in blood without really doing any real damage to eachother. They absolutely beat the piss out of each other, incredible violence, but no destroyed fingers or gouged eyeballs. Similar thing with some rampaging snow hares, just gallons of blood all over the forest from them punching and hitting with the butts of their guns.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You haven't really played rimworld until a zzzt happens in the middle of a raid, sets your fuel stockpile on fire which then detonates your magazine which opens up a gaping hole in your defenses.

Or, see earlier comment about a MAD nuclear satchel charge getting set on fire.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Your pawn throwing a tantrum and punching antigrain warhead just as your 5 other pawns are intercepting to stop him also counts.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Recently i had a lab set up and a pair of dudes with high melee got into a fight and somehow soaked the entire room in blood without really doing any real damage to eachother. They absolutely beat the piss out of each other, incredible violence, but no destroyed fingers or gouged eyeballs. Similar thing with some rampaging snow hares, just gallons of blood all over the forest from them punching and hitting with the butts of their guns.
This is the wrong thread to leave open.

"Recently I had a lab set up" -> this must be the PYF Chemistry thread

"somehow soaked the entire room in blood" -> okay this might still be the PYF Chemistry thread

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had one guy bite another guy's leg off in a social fight.

No augs or anything, just apparently very commited.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I had a social fight that consisted of a single headbutt delivered to the skull of my best crafter, which instantly gave her brain damage.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Rimworld: I had one guy bite another guy's leg off in a social fight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The closest to this I've had was a very short social fight that ended with one of my pawns beat into "bleeding out in 12 hours", and the other with a few bruises... and a destroyed right arm.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I stride across the kitchen, prepared for the incredible violence to come. "What the gently caress did you just call me a hummingbird!?"

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Have you ever thought drat, I really want to take Rimworld to some bizarre heart-of-darkness levels:

The Wonderland of Mr. Cringe

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Omnicarus posted:

Have you ever thought drat, I really want to take Rimworld to some bizarre heart-of-darkness levels:

if that's the most hosed-up rimworld mod you ever see, you should count yourself lucky

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Don't not link the ongoing series
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNWGkqCSwkOGZUBVZuiqpl-hQGCbhQC3X

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

OwlFancier posted:

I love when near-supernatural things like this happen, like holy crap dude you were just barroom brawling, why are one of you missing a leg and why does the other pawn have a mouth full of leg meat

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I flinch every time I hear the awful grindy crunch sound of a bite in social combat

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

Mr. Samuel Streamer's stuff is all great for some really fun/funny modded playthroughs. Rimworld: Heroes, Rimworld: Generations, and the 2020 Christmas series that ended with a cocaine addicted Santa nuking the hell out of everything are probably my favorite though.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Is there a mod that turns every fight into a Kill Bill scene?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
yeah its called the base game.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, even in base Rimworld, the vast majority of dirt that accumulates in your colony will consist of vomit, blood and gore. (and piss, if you play with the "Dubs Bad Hygiene" mod)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
idk it seems like merchants love to herd their buffalo directly into the dining room every time they show up, and then spend the rest of their time on the paved roads instead of 3 feet away in a field. Nbd we'll just spend an entire day shoveling elephant poo poo getting it to get back to normal.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

idk it seems like merchants love to herd their buffalo directly into the dining room every time they show up, and then spend the rest of their time on the paved roads instead of 3 feet away in a field. Nbd we'll just spend an entire day shoveling elephant poo poo getting it to get back to normal.

Yes, having the trader troop his entire buffalo herd through my base into my legendary dining room is very annoying.

After trying a bunch of stuff and nothing working, I just made a separate dining room near the traders.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Use the trade spot icon to move those fuckers further away from your dining room imo, far enough away to just eat outside. I don't know if this works

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Traders try to eat at the table (your table) if possible, so you would have to either move them so far away that they AI can't pick your tables as valid object to eat at (ie, far away from your base) or just give up and build dining tables specifically for them like Kris xK did,

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There's a mod that lets you put down a spot that traders will choose to mill around, it doesn't stop them from wandering around but you can make them not wander around right in front of your freezer

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Danaru posted:

There's a mod that lets you put down a spot that traders will choose to mill around, it doesn't stop them from wandering around but you can make them not wander around right in front of your freezer

The great/bad part of that mod is that you can put the trade spot right into a mechanoid cluster to make the traders fight them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oh poo poo did they change pod launchers so they only use the amount of fuel for where you launch to, instead of blasting the whole thing even if you move 1 hex? I have one that i've been using to cut down on caravan time (no horses) and noticed it had a little extra gas in the tank after launching