Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Taear posted:

Might be the last thing he does honestly, god he's so old.

I've been thinking this for about a decade but so far it's just been a gradual decrease in on-location bits to camera.

The guy's a phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Rookoo posted:

Is the new traitors any good? I completely missed it starting again and found it pretty watchable last time.

I watched the first episode last night and it seemed promising.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Rookoo posted:

Is the new traitors any good? I completely missed it starting again and found it pretty watchable last time.

Not much happened in the first episode, tbh. It ended on a bit of a cliffhanger for tonight's episode, so it should get going properly then. It was mostly just introducing the contestants, picking the traitors and a task.

Harry ("I have a face people either want to kiss or punch") could be a dickhead or good fun, not sure. The woman who claims to be psychic is annoying me already.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Rookoo posted:

Promising so far. Its the only reality show I watch and I binged all the UK/US/Aus seasons earlier this year. For anyone who doesn't know the first three episodes are available on iPlayer, not sure if/when they'll be aired on proper TV (nor when the fourth comes out).

Spoilers for the first three episodes:

Ash is just the worst Traitor. Acting very sus immediately and just getting people's backs up. She hasn't been able to deflect away either so it all comes back on her. She might survive the vote but she's on such thin ice.

Diane is the best faithful but I think she'll end up getting voted out by chance. I was surprised at how many votes she got already and if the traitors play their cards right they might be able to corral the rest of the group.

Harry and Paul both seem to be playing the right game and I can see them going long before one of them betrays the other. Hard to read Miles as he was brought into it later. Could be an outside chance of winning.

Brian's self-implosion was tough to watch. I think I can see what he was trying to get out but he completely lost the plot and made himself a target. If he survives he'll go round explaining it to everyone and probably be fine for a few votes, but he'll never shake it off.

I also just do not get why Diane and Ross a) decided to enter as a mother/son duo and b) are keeping that a secret. The boyfriend and girlfriend tried it last season and it didn't work then. The odds on you both being on the same side aren't great and the only way it really works is if you're both traitors and can manipulate everyone else.

Anyway looks fun and people aren't metagaming as much as I feared they were. I like the changes they've made with the shields as well to make the tasks more interesting/impactful.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

This is my first time watching traitors.

I've also played a lot of Werewolf in my time.

The money tasks feel a little pointless as there is no difference whether the players win or lose.

There is also no information that the players get about the traitors. I feel like what this needs is for the traitors or even the faithful to get guaranteed money to throw the tasks. Similar to what they did in The Mole.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What they actually need to do is just revive The Mole and flush this slow-as-molasses inferior copy down the crapper where it belongs :colbert:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

J33uk posted:

The Kemps: All Gold and All True feel like some of the more original comedy to have come out of the BBC in years. There's some great music references but also great absurd nonsense in there.

If the concept of Spandau: The Ballet makes you laugh then check it out.

Ooh I hadn't heard of this, gonna check it out. I swear Rhys Thomas is among the most underrated comedians working in the UK, he puts out some really funny stuff and barely gets a mention. A Year in the Life of a Year was always really solid, and I miss that it doesn't get made anymore.

Tsietisin posted:

The money tasks feel a little pointless as there is no difference whether the players win or lose.

I feel the tasks exist for two reasons:

1. psychologically it forces everyone to work together, making the traitors have connections with the people they're going to 'murder'.

2. it eats up a poo poo ton of time in the broadcast.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Tsietisin posted:

This is my first time watching traitors.

I've also played a lot of Werewolf in my time.

There is also no information that the players get about the traitors. I feel like what this needs is for the traitors or even the faithful to get guaranteed money to throw the tasks. Similar to what they did in The Mole.

A good twist I've seen is that the Traitors get the money that is "lost" by not completing tasks. The Faithfuls then have to figure out if someone is useless (the guy paddling the boat the wrong way) or intentionally loving up.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I feel the tasks exist for two reasons:

1. psychologically it forces everyone to work together, making the traitors have connections with the people they're going to 'murder'.

2. it eats up a poo poo ton of time in the broadcast.

But yeah this is the point of the tasks, same reason they have breakfast all together and then are instructed to go away and have some time together. They want people to build relationships so it feels "worse" if/when they get betrayed.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I hadn't realised the first 3 were out when I posted earlier.

EvilHawk posted:

Promising so far. Its the only reality show I watch and I binged all the UK/US/Aus seasons earlier this year. For anyone who doesn't know the first three episodes are available on iPlayer, not sure if/when they'll be aired on proper TV (nor when the fourth comes out).

Spoilers for the first three episodes:

Ash is just the worst Traitor. Acting very sus immediately and just getting people's backs up. She hasn't been able to deflect away either so it all comes back on her. She might survive the vote but she's on such thin ice.

Diane is the best faithful but I think she'll end up getting voted out by chance. I was surprised at how many votes she got already and if the traitors play their cards right they might be able to corral the rest of the group.

Harry and Paul both seem to be playing the right game and I can see them going long before one of them betrays the other. Hard to read Miles as he was brought into it later. Could be an outside chance of winning.

Brian's self-implosion was tough to watch. I think I can see what he was trying to get out but he completely lost the plot and made himself a target. If he survives he'll go round explaining it to everyone and probably be fine for a few votes, but he'll never shake it off.

I also just do not get why Diane and Ross a) decided to enter as a mother/son duo and b) are keeping that a secret. The boyfriend and girlfriend tried it last season and it didn't work then. The odds on you both being on the same side aren't great and the only way it really works is if you're both traitors and can manipulate everyone else.

Anyway looks fun and people aren't metagaming as much as I feared they were. I like the changes they've made with the shields as well to make the tasks more interesting/impactful.

I also didn't read the unspoilered bit of your post...totally my fault, of course. Wish I'd not known the twist was coming. As to why they're keeping it a secret, I would guess they were told to keep it under wraps, maybe until a certain point. When they showed them on the train, he joked that his mum put him up for it to her. I would say they were looking for two family members.

Christ, you're right about Brian. I felt bad for him, but he showed no self awareness or self control at all.

Diane is very smart, but she's been central to a lot so far and I reckon that's going to play against her. Best thing to do is just fly under the radar as much as possible.

Same thing goes for Zack, but it's more his own fault than it is for Diane. He has been putting himself into the spotlight a bit too much.

Could just be the editing for either, of course.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ooh I hadn't heard of this, gonna check it out. I swear Rhys Thomas is among the most underrated comedians working in the UK, he puts out some really funny stuff and barely gets a mention. A Year in the Life of a Year was always really solid, and I miss that it doesn't get made anymore.

He's been in so much really mid shite

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Traitors eps 1-3:

You've got to feel for Brian - having an anxiety attack during the climax of an internationally televised murder mystery game is rough, especially if it's the first time he's had one. I'm surprised nobody at the table stood up for him over what was an obviously innocent moment of panic and paranoia about how he'd been coming across. Some of the reactions felt close to bullying.

In general this feels like it's going to be a spikier and more paranoid season, which should be interesting. Zach being dragged through it for the ludicrously minor crime of cheerfully saying 'the last supper' and being misheard / misinterpreted as 'YOUR last supper' was pretty wild this early on.

Anthony is doing himself in, but there's also something uncomfortable about Diane persistently trying to argue that he must be a Traitor because he was rude to her before the start of the game. Twitter seems to already love her and she is entertainingly terrifying, but that comes across as Karening and score-settling.

Ross calmly saying, 'my mum's roasts aren't any good' while she's sat right next to him was very funny, they have a great deadpan that suggests they might be able to keep up the pretence.

The internet seems prepared for Tracey to be Maddy 2.0, but you know what, she's right on Ash.

It's really nice to see that the producers continue to focus on building such a diverse group of contestants rather than prioritising big-personality influencers (and it was lovely to see Mollie triumph thanks to her prosthetic on the first task) and from all the orange juice, it looks like they're taking the negative coverage about alcohol use in reality TV seriously, too.

As has been said, they really need to find some way of better integrating the tasks, but I can see the pitfalls associated with Traitors benefitting from failure - 'oh, well, you didn't run as fast as the rest of us, so you must be the Traitor" would get ugly real fast.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
The cliffhanger at the end of the third episode took the piss.

After really enjoying the much tighter structure of survivor, I'm not sure I can do however many weeks of blue-balling that hinted at.

Also Ash is loving dreadful, what were they thinking making her a traitor. Miles is good telly though.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 5, 2024

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

grobbo posted:

Traitors eps 1-3:

In general this feels like it's going to be a spikier and more paranoid season, which should be interesting. Zach being dragged through it for the ludicrously minor crime of cheerfully saying 'the last supper' and being misheard / misinterpreted as 'YOUR last supper' was pretty wild this early on.

I think it's mad in general how loose people are with their talk. The first episode (I think) one of the guys said something like "it'll be nice to sleep tonight" and that's immediately taken the wrong way. Obviously slips of the tongue happen but jesus christ mate they literally have nothing to go on why are you talking like that.

Betjeman posted:

After really enjoying the much tighter structure of survivor, I'm not sure I can do however many weeks of blue-balling that hinted at.

Also Ash is loving dreadful, what were they thinking making her a traitor. Miles is good telly though.

Having watched all the other seasons in binge mode having to deal with actual loving cliffhangers is brutal and I don't like it.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Betjeman posted:

You think that's bad, just wait until Anthony revenge-votes for Diane and we spend the first 30 minutes of Episode 4 sitting through a whole new ceremony to determine whether Ash or Brian goes.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Traitors chat:

During episode 2 when the "Paul is Diane's son" theory came up, my partner said, "Nah, if anything I reckon Ross is her son". So who's the clairvoyant now??

Brian's roundtable meltdown in episode 3 was absolutely excruciating stuff. Exciting to see a traitor backstab so early in the season though. Reckon they're right that Ash is a liability but if she does stay then it's gonna be pretty loving awkward in the tower later.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Traitors ep3

Zach gonna be the first man killed by his own sarcasm, feel bad for the guy.

Ash is proper poo poo, glad they threw her under the bus so we will wait and see.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I have only watched the first two episodes so far so am looking forward to coming back and hitting up them spoiler bars. But also lol there's 15 episodes of this series, how is it not going to get super boring by then? I'm sure I'll be hooked and eating these words...

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
the show sends every contestant insane with paranoia and that's it's charm

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Marmaduke! posted:

I have only watched the first two episodes so far so am looking forward to coming back and hitting up them spoiler bars. But also lol there's 15 episodes of this series, how is it not going to get super boring by then? I'm sure I'll be hooked and eating these words...

There were 12 episodes last season and it really seems like they're stretching out the cliffhangers (though that might be because I bingewatched) this time round.

I know the producers have also talked about playing with the format a bit so the players don't know exactly what's going to happen (which we've already seen some of).

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

I am wondering if this season they have given some of the faithful "powers" to help identify the Traitors. Something like a Seer ability where each night you can determine the loyalty of a player.

it could be why Brian was having a bit of a meltdown at the round table but couldn't explain why. Only saying that he would give more details later. He has been the only person we have seen so far to have voted for Paul for seemingly no reason at all

Tsietisin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 6, 2024

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Tsietisin posted:

I am wondering if this season they have given some of the faithful "powers" to help identify the Traitors. Something like a Seer ability where each night you can determine the loyalty of a player.

it could be why Brian was having a bit of a meltdown at the round table but couldn't explain why. Only saying that he would give more details later. He has been the only person we have seen so far to have voted for Paul for seemingly no reason at all

That'd be a stellar twist, but I can't see it - the cause of Brian's meltdown tracked logically for me. He was upset and blindsided to be declared the 'sheep' of the group. He kept making insecure jokes throughout the day to try and laugh it off, but from the edit, didn't appear to be getting much sympathy (and was actively getting smirks and weirded-out expressions by the time of the Round Table).

He felt like people were talking about him behind his back, tried to assert himself at the start of the Round Table, but only made things worse, which led to him anxiously blurting out a demand for everyone to tell him honestly what they thought of him.

If he had inside knowledge about Paul, surely he'd have had a good hard swing at trying to convince the others, as it'd have been the perfect way to prove himself unsheeplike in the eyes of his peers.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

It's a complete guess of course.

One of the other reasons I have in my head is that they started with 4 so want to give more possibilities for finding traitors.

I think with Brian, to me it feels like he knows something but Paul has not done anything at all to make himself suspicious, so has nothing to call him out on directly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I wasn't expecting the world or anything but oh boy the new Wheel of Fortune not much of much.

Some things, like it lacking the old music theme is absolutely on me being a miserable old "not muh doctor" sod but the show really suffers for a lack of a Carol Smiley board-master to bounce off Graham.

Also these contestants are scared stiff of breaking the wheel. They're not even trying to give it some welly.

Also. Its a whole hour! Does it really need that time?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 6, 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ConanThe3rd posted:

Without even seeing it, I can say no. All quiz/panel shows should fit into a half hour slot, and I’ll let Taskmaster be the exception that makes the rule.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I like Traitors it's very exciting :)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I like the new season of the traitors but boy do they love the idea of cliff hangers.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 7, 2024

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

I wasn't expecting the world or anything but oh boy the new Wheel of Fortune not much of much.

Some things, like it lacking the old music theme is absolutely on me being a miserable old "not muh doctor" sod but the show really suffers for a lack of a Carol Smiley board-master to bounce off Graham.

Also these contestants are scared stiff of breaking the wheel. They're not even trying to give it some welly.

Leslie/Powell > Campbell/Smilie IMO

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've also been watching the "proper" Squid Game on Netflix, and they're so enamoured about having cliffhangers they'll stretch out the most mundane things another 20 minutes, or if they'd already done too much of that they'll just say feck it and end an episode 20 minutes sooner than expected three quarters of the way through a game just so that they have a cliffhanger. I don't know if they understand viewers can just pause and resume episodes?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
new WHEEL. OF. FOR. TUNE. is on and dear lord but Graham Norton was a terrible choice of host

he has nothing but disdain for this kind of TV, the only thing he does well is his bawdiness and sarcasm thing

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and what a tiny, lovely wheel, and they don't even show people spinning it most of the time!!! :mad:

the whole fun of the show back in the day was what looked like a little old lady dressed in her best pale violet, including pale violet hair, who'd become a demon for that two seconds when she spun the massive wheel and it'd go GRAKGRAKGRAKGRAKGRAKgrakgrakgrakgrak for ages

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The UK has both Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy again now? It’s a good combined hour after the news in the US, so I imagine it’s padded out to 2 hours on itv?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, knocking out both of those shows (or Price is Right!) in an hour is the point, it’s good post-work TV to stick on during dinner that doesn’t drag and eat up the entire night.

For those who’ve only seen the UK Jeopardy, this is how quickly the US one moves. These are experienced players which helps, but I swear half this year has been a single tournament full of good players so this is kind of how a regular game works now. Its quick.

https://youtu.be/n8NrMKd1OHo?si=K6UDVRUj0UBIdb3F

Hoping this isn’t geoblocked to just the US.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Also an incredibly sassy show at times

https://youtu.be/FPba1r8oM5s?si=55cgFdd4JBA2SVEX

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He’s just the best, awesome combination of revolutionary game breaking strategy, and the balls and mouth to back it up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait, Jeopardy's back?

Dell_Zincht posted:

Leslie/Powell > Campbell/Smilie IMO

> The Dead Air Graham Norton is working with.

Maybe it is because he was working with two smart people and a complete dipstick for contestants but there's nothing there.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 8, 2024

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
this advert is a flipping BANGER https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXK7FpoDCE8 :cool:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I never felt a need to watch a video at a higher speed but that first Jeopardy episode was good at 1.25%

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
imagining the tune at that speed and it sounds... wrong

sinister, even :/

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

I never felt a need to watch a video at a higher speed but that first Jeopardy episode was good at 1.25%

Watching at 1/80 speed to make every episode last 3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
What an episode of Only Connect.