Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Qubee posted:

I'll be sure to eat a lot this coming week then. I was hoping to get at least 3 weeks cause I made a real large batch, but I'm not complaining. I love this poo poo.

Only thing I'm not happy with is they didn't dry up as nicely as I was hoping. They were still a bit wet, even after being in the oven for 2 1/2 hours at 140c. Should I cut them into quarters instead of halves next time?

You can try slicing, salting for 30 minutes and rinsing before putting them in the oven to pull out more moisture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmm, oven fries from scratch is one of those things where I think it's probably better to just buy a bag of frozen oven fries

Now, home made deep fried fries is where it's at.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm doing my monthly fast food tonight. Should I do:
A box of taco bell tacos
Fried chicken sandwhiches (gunthries)
A shitton of burgers from BK or Steak and Shake
pls help

That order seems fine.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I tried to make these fries and it was inedible because, like an idiot, I decided that running out of seasoning half way meant that I should make twice as much seasoning.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/cajun-oven-fries-recipe-1940154

Since I measured the amounts of potatoes, oil, and seasonings, and since the food was too spicy to eat, I think I applied way, way too much oil and seasoning to each wedge.

Rereading the instructions, I should have "tossed" the wedges in a large bowl containing the oil and spices. Instead I put the oil and spices into a bowl big enough for one wedge and then pressed and swirled each wedge, one at a time.

I want to try this again, but what does the verb toss mean in this context?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's coating the fries as you did, just all at once so each fry would have had less poo poo on it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It would also have been approx 100 times more convenient.

Put the fries, oil, and spices in a big Ziploc. Seal the ziploc and shake the crap out of it. That is like tossing except you can't mess it up even if you think tossing means, like, pizza-throwing.

Your sauce might also be hotter than they assume, I can't imagine I'd enjoy eating a tbsp of hot sauce

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I make my oil stuff like that in a Pyrex measuring cup, which has a pour spout. I can then drizzle with one hand while tossing with the other.

Also a good method for popcorn with melted flavored butter, since that also has an evenly-distributed problem.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I really want to make porchetta after watching Matty Matheson's video guide, but it would just be for me and my girlfriend. How small can I make a porchetta without sacrificing quality? All the recipes I see are between 3 and 7 pounds.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doc Walrus posted:

I really want to make porchetta after watching Matty Matheson's video guide, but it would just be for me and my girlfriend. How small can I make a porchetta without sacrificing quality? All the recipes I see are between 3 and 7 pounds.

Make a big one and freeze half :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Can I use cheesecloth for removing moisture from applesauce? Or will it just run through?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Can I use cheesecloth for removing moisture from applesauce? Or will it just run through?

It's probably just going to run through, if it's properly made applesauce.

Why do you need to remove moisture from it?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

You could just cook the apples longer and go for something closer to apple butter if you want a thicker, richer applesauce.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

Put the fries, oil, and spices in a big Ziploc. Seal the ziploc and shake the crap out of it. That is like tossing except you can't mess it up even if you think tossing means, like, pizza-throwing.

This is how I make fried chicken; I'll try it this way next time. I may also try less spice in general. Thanks for the tips.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Lawnie posted:

You could just cook the apples longer and go for something closer to apple butter if you want a thicker, richer applesauce.

Yeah, as a Semi-Professional Apple Cooker, I'd just say cook it down more, then pulse it in a blender if it's too chunky. Straining it is gonna leave you with a dry, pulpy mess.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 26, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Thanks, that's what I figured. I'll try apple butter and see if it works better. Its for baking, so hopefully the reduction in water will help

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 26, 2018

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Spent last night peeling and chopping 3 bushels of apples to make apple butter.

Doing it the old fashioned way, with the family heirloom brass kettle over a wood fire. That kettle is spun brass, bought at great expense from "a fella in Connecticut" and brought down to Knoxville Tennessee in the 1890s.

Of course, tradition demands a few pennies in the pot to "keep the apples from sticking".

Annath fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 27, 2018

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Spent last night peeling and chopping 3 bushels of apples to make apple butter.

Doing it the old fashioned way, with the family heirloom brass kettle over a wood fire. That kettle is spun brass, bought at great expense from "a fella in Connecticut" and brought down to Knoxville Tennessee in the 1890s.

Of course, tradition demands a few pennies in the pot to "keep the apples from sticking".

Awww yessssss

Update this!

One thing I miss the most about not being in the Blue Ridge anymore is the inability to get the "real" apple butter. The stuff you can only get once a year at a Lord's Acre sale in a small town. Usually from a group of old ladies who are all either sisters or cousins.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 27, 2018

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

We're up in Maryville on my dad's cousin's farm. (my 2nd cousin?)

Bought our apples from Carver's Orchard up in Cosby.

My dad's other cousin insists on barely any sugar, which made lasts year's batch... less than great.

His mom's recipe called for 10 lbs sugar per bushel of apples, which IS a lot, but Cousin Phil has cut the amount every year. Last year it was down to 7lbs for the whole 3 bushel batch, and it hardly caramelized at all. Was more like applesauce.

I think 5lbs per bushel would be a good compromise, but I'm the young fool so nobody listens to me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I must know more about this American communal cooking I’ve never heard of

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Would baking soda help caramelize the apples? Apples are rather low ph.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

al-azad posted:

Would baking soda help caramelize the apples? Apples are rather low ph.

Dunno what effect it'd have on the caramelizing, but it'd be a bad idea from a storage perspective.

We can (jar?) the apple butter in sterilized jars, but the acidity is what prevents botulism growth; it isn't killed by heat. Reducing the acidity would risk botulism growth.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm following a recipe using butternut squash. In the video they cook one squash (cut up) at about 385°for 40 minutes.

If I'm cooking three squash, what cooking time am I looking at?

This is the video, which shows how it is cut

https://youtu.be/bPoRjiwnZuE

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 27, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

me your dad posted:

I'm following a recipe using butternut squash. In the video they cook one squash (cut up) at about 385°for 40 minutes.

If I'm cooking three squash, what cooking time am I looking at?

This is the video, which shows how it is cut

https://youtu.be/bPoRjiwnZuE

The same time, as long as you keep them in a single layer and don't crowd them too much.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Apples were a bit less juicy than in years prior, we ended up with only 4.5 gallons of apple butter instead of the usual 6.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Annath posted:

Apples were a bit less juicy than in years prior, we ended up with only 4.5 gallons of apple butter instead of the usual 6.

That's global warming for ya. Here the fries are shorter because the potatoes are smaller this year.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Anybody got any tips for making chicken bouillon? I made a buttload of stock today and don't want it taking up all my freezer space. My plan was to defat it then reduce it down until no more steam comes out of it, then freeze it flat and cut it into individual portions. Sound about right?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

What's the deal with the pennies? I never heard of that.

Our latest seasonal offering of apple butter is called "Wildflower Ambrosia". We cook the apples down in local honey and a dry-ish mead from a local meadery that has their own hives. poo poo is dank, yo.

We always add alcohol, because you've got certain molecules that are only alcohol-soluble, so it adds something most butters lack, imho. Plus alcohol evaporates faster, so it thickens up and gets velvety faster. Last year we did a cranberry-moonshine flavor for the holidays (loving great on leftover turkey sandwiches), and our flagship has port and red Zinfandel in it.

I had a SA-mart thread going last year, need to get off my butt and make a new one, especially since I've branched into selling hot sauce, too.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Nobody *really* knows what the deal with the pennies is.

Just something that's always been done. You look when you're ladeling the apple butter out to see if the pennies came out shiny (they did).

If there's anything at all to it beyond Appalachia tradition, I'd guess it's some primitive indicator of acidity, which is important for food preservation purposes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Lawnie posted:

I must know more about this American communal cooking I’ve never heard of

Sure!

https://www.saveur.com/preserving-tradition-cannery

http://www.whatitmeanstobeamerican.org/places/what-exactly-is-appalachian-cuisine/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Annath posted:

, I'd guess it's some primitive indicator of acidity, which is important for food preservation purposes.

I bet so. Reducing the volume down increases the acidity and would deoxidize the pennies.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Human Tornada posted:

Anybody got any tips for making chicken bouillon? I made a buttload of stock today and don't want it taking up all my freezer space. My plan was to defat it then reduce it down until no more steam comes out of it, then freeze it flat and cut it into individual portions. Sound about right?

Yes, that’s exactly what I do, and I have loads of little rubbery stock cubes in my freezer that I chuck into anything I think would benefit from additional chicken-ness

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got some turnips and I don't know what to do with them. I'm making chicken noodle soup this week and I'm thinking that I'll include them and just pretend like they're carrots, maybe cutting them a bit smaller or giving them longer to cook than I would for actual carrots. Does that sound too crazy?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Apropos of absolutely nothing on topic, but Scientastic: your avatar hasn't always moved, has it? Am I losing my mind?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Got some turnips and I don't know what to do with them. I'm making chicken noodle soup this week and I'm thinking that I'll include them and just pretend like they're carrots, maybe cutting them a bit smaller or giving them longer to cook than I would for actual carrots. Does that sound too crazy?

Make this chicken stew recipe and add the turnips at the same time as the carrots and potatoes. It’s out of this world. I’ve posted this recipe before with a few modifications in this thread.

http://hipfoodiemom.com/2014/11/05/you-need-this-in-your-life-best-chicken-stew-and-a-cookbook/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lawnie posted:

Make this chicken stew recipe and add the turnips at the same time as the carrots and potatoes. It’s out of this world. I’ve posted this recipe before with a few modifications in this thread.

http://hipfoodiemom.com/2014/11/05/you-need-this-in-your-life-best-chicken-stew-and-a-cookbook/

drat that sounds good. Not sure that I have the equipment to re-create that but it does give me some ideas on ways to tweak my current recipe. Glad to see I'm not the only one who sears the chicken in the pot before building the soup over top of it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Apropos of absolutely nothing on topic, but Scientastic: your avatar hasn't always moved, has it? Am I losing my mind?

Haha, no, you’re not losing your mind: there’s a thread in GBS where iron buns is using an app to animate any photo you post. He did such a good job on my avatar that I felt honour-bound to use it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Annath posted:

My aunt used to add Red Hots to her apple butter which sweetened it a little, gave it a nice warm color, and little kick of cinnamon.

C-Euro posted:

I love turnips. You can use them as you would any root but they are best roasted. I combine with carrots and potatoes (sometimes radishes), roast on high heat, and they become sweet and delicious.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

C-Euro posted:

If you've still got the turnips to use, my recommendation would be to boil and mash them like you would with potatoes, add a couple tablespoons of butter, and enough freshly-ground black pepper to turn the dish nearly black. Basically my favorite side dish every Thanksgiving.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My aunt served boiled turnips once and everyone thought it was mashed potatoes, until they took a bite, they were bitter. The look of betrayal on everyone's face was hilarious though. It's the only time I've had them boiled so I don't know if that's normal but she was a decent cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Mashed turnips with molasses, caraway, and black pepper is fantastic, and you can mix the leftovers with a little flour and egg to make pancakes.