Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gologle posted:

EDIT: Also holy poo poo getting to the Sesame Street Count through his dragon power rangers is kicking my rear end, even with Salve-Maker.

All dragon attacks are physical, get Ninja'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gologle posted:

There's no reason why he couldn't tell his own daughter, at least, and the other two have clearly seen enough to know that the party isn't evil and are being mislead.
Welcome to literally the entire plot. If people just used their words, the game would be so much shorter!

(As in, so much.)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyrosiris posted:

I just love the cleverness of it. "Oh, you're going to avoid all my attacks by being a prime level? Ahahaha how cute."

I always seem to piss him off somehow, so he skips his level-based fuckery and just spams "Kill" at me the entire fight. It certainly makes things hectic when I have a character dying ever 8 seconds or so. But I usually get through the fight with only using around 30 phoenix downs...

Also, 49 for Zalera? Seriously? He's a bottom-tier Esper (granted, probably the best of them); you should be fighting him way, way before that. I think I usually do it in the low-20s (which usually means I'm fleeing through the Barheim Passage in terror the whole time).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Welcome to literally the entire plot. If people just used their words, the game would be so much shorter!

(As in, so much.)

Welcome to Bravely Default.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Type-O folks, just play through the game and do everything you missed in NG+, it's a lot more enjoyable that way. The story makes more sense too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

FFXIV is the only MMO that I've played to the endgame because it's so remarkably good. I play it on and off, stopped during 2.3 and will probably pick it up again for a couple of months when the expansion comes out. It has the sheer richness you'd hope for from a mainline Final Fantasy, as well as an incredible localisation. And as mentioned, the music rocks too.

FF XIV musicposting huh

Even a lot of the normal dungeons have really nice background themes, and some like Lost City of Amdapor doesn't interrupt it for combat. That dungeon has such a great atmosphere with this playing in the background as you go through the bleak ruins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb_WWhHYt1U

Also people always bring up Good King Moggle Mog but all the Primals have unique themes and they're often pretty different from each other. Plus they ramp up as you get further in the fight.

Ramuh for example has a pretty unconventional battle theme but it's really quite cool and you should give it a listen (also give it a while if you want to hear the whole thing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDG1rIz1S7k

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I was pretty ambivalent about XIV, until I saw the pictures of the Fat Chocobo mount. Then I was just "Well, I'll try it eventually." Then I found out about Triple Triad, and it changed to "MUST PLAY". Just waiting for the next sale.

Unless they changed it recently, Fat Chocobo requires the Collector's Edition (which usually is on sale for not much more than the regular edition and has a few other goodies including a Moogle minion but is expensive to upgrade to if you buy the regular edition first), so you'd probably rather spend the few extra bucks if you want it. Of course, there's lots of other cool mounts in the game.

(Though they require doing a bunch of annoying quests repeatedly for a couple months or so)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I just played through half the main events of Chapter 5 in Type-0, and it made me realise that that game would be much better as an RTS ala Warcraft 3. I'm enjoying it, but you seem to be an observer to all the really cool things, rather than controlling them.

Give me Final Fantasy: Total War or something.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mega64 posted:

Unless they changed it recently, Fat Chocobo requires the Collector's Edition (which usually is on sale for not much more than the regular edition and has a few other goodies including a Moogle minion but is expensive to upgrade to if you buy the regular edition first), so you'd probably rather spend the few extra bucks if you want it. Of course, there's lots of other cool mounts in the game.

Yeah but who cares about other mounts when you can put clothes on your trusty chocobo?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bird dressup is almost as important as catgirl dressup.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ApplesandOranges posted:

Welcome to Bravely Default.

I only just got the pirate astrick in chapter 3 but I love this game. Please tell me it isn't that bad

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

RC Cola posted:

I only just got the pirate astrick in chapter 3 but I love this game. Please tell me it isn't that bad

Half of bravely default is fun haha do you get it?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

Half of bravely default is fun haha do you get it?

When does the not fun part start :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
When you start paying attention to the plot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

When you start paying attention to the plot.

So never?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RC Cola posted:

When does the not fun part start :(

When you do all the utterly meaningless sidequests that open up in chapter 5. But if you put encounters to zero and only do the story quests it ain't so bad. If chapter 5 was removed from the game entirely I think a lot more people would like BD, so just ignore everything and get through it as fast as possible. It's honestly not too long.

Edit: Also the plot but who cares about that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Give me Final Fantasy: Total War or something.

Given how good Hyrule Warriors was and DQH appears to be, it's entirely possible we may see Final Fantasy Heroes, especially if DQH does well in the west.

Not exactly an RTS, but I would so be down for Koei versions of the entire FF cast ripping through armies with overpowered special moves.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

victrix posted:

Not exactly an RTS, but I would so be down for Koei versions of the entire FF cast ripping through armies with overpowered special moves.

I would take either Dissidia Warriors or Kefkaroth's Ambition.

e: Romance of the Four Crystals

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I would take either Dissidia Warriors or Kefkaroth's Ambition.

e: Romance of the Four Crystals

:golfclap:

I'm secretly praying that if/when Dissidia arcade gets a PS4 release, that it's a ginormous open world rpg/bashathon. We'll see...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gologle posted:

EDIT: Also holy poo poo getting to the Sesame Street Count through his dragon power rangers is kicking my rear end, even with Salve-Maker.

From here on out, almost all of the dangerous attacks you're going to run into are physical. Either make your whole team Ninjas with whatever their evade skill is, or just make someone a Templar and throw up Rampart all day long. I think what I did was have one Spiritmaster and one Templar, and the Spiritmaster could protect from elements to cover when the Templar didn't have enough BP to Rampart. (I hadn't, at this time, learned how to use a BP battery character effectively.)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

From here on out, almost all of the dangerous attacks you're going to run into are physical. Either make your whole team Ninjas with whatever their evade skill is, or just make someone a Templar and throw up Rampart all day long. I think what I did was have one Spiritmaster and one Templar, and the Spiritmaster could protect from elements to cover when the Templar didn't have enough BP to Rampart. (I hadn't, at this time, learned how to use a BP battery character effectively.)

What's a bp battery character?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

RC Cola posted:

Someone who exclusively generates BP for the party (Performer/Freelancer).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dissidia 012 Whatever This Is Called did a pretty good job with changing the dissidia campaign into a world map affair

RC Cola posted:

Eventually essential to beating the optional content, but characters that give your other characters BP. The most common broken combos:

Performer/Freelancer. You can give everyone 1 BP then mimic that ability 3 times to cast it for free.

Give everyone the Red Mage ability that makes them get BP for suffering a status, then give one person the Black Mage ability that makes single cast spells AOE and keep poisoning yourself- bit more of a setup since everyone needs the ability but you can poison your entire party 4 times to give everyone 8 BP. You can also do 3xpoison 1xesuna with a red mage if you want.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 23, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Note that my world-ending setup didn't use a BP battery at all besides the most basic skill for the task (Hasten World, which gives both you and your opponents 2 BP a turn instead of just one). Bravely Default can be broken in many ways.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Dissidia 012 Whatever This Is Called did a pretty good job with changing the dissidia campaign into a world map affair

Eventually essential to beating the optional content, but characters that give your other characters BP. The most common broken combos:

Performer/Freelancer. You can give everyone 1 BP then mimic that ability 3 times to cast it for free.

Give everyone the Red Mage ability that makes them get BP for suffering a status, then give one person the Black Mage ability that makes single cast spells AOE and keep poisoning yourself- bit more of a setup since everyone needs the ability but you can poison your entire party 4 times to give everyone 8 BP. You can also do 3xpoison 1xesuna with a red mage if you want.

Unless this is perfectly set up you will lose more than half the BP generated this way due to the cap.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I also beat all the optional content without a BP battery other than Hasten World. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what the point of having more BP would be in most fights.

I mean, obviously things would die faster, but that doesn't help you win.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RC Cola posted:

THE AWESOME GHOST outlined my favorite version pretty well.

Give everyone BP Recovery, the Red Mage passive that gives you BP if you sustain a status ailment.

Have a Red Mage in the group and give them BP Recovery, Group Cast-All, and Status Ailment Amp. Every round, have your Red Mage Brave three times, then cast Poison on your whole team three times and Poisona on their last action. Your characters will end up with pretty much full BP to spend every single turn, which is especially helpful if you use jobs that have BP-cost abilities (like Templar and Spiritmaster). I subbed Salve-Maker on my Red Mage Agnes so she could toss out Giant's Drafts, too, because why not have double max HP?

Clarste posted:

I also beat all the optional content without a BP battery other than Hasten World. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what the point of having more BP would be in most fights.

I mean, obviously things would die faster, but that doesn't help you win.

I never really liked Hasten World because it worked on enemies, too. It's a great support skill, especially if you're willing to pair it with Stillness, but I just never really liked using it.

In fact, I actually liked using the above Red Mage BP Battery setup and then giving someone Slow World. Enemies (even bosses) generally ended up not being able to act at all every other turn, while my characters would be fine because the Red Mage kept feeding them BP.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Harrow posted:

I never really liked Hasten World because it worked on enemies, too. It's a great support skill, especially if you're willing to pair it with Stillness, but I just never really liked using it.

In fact, I actually liked using the above Red Mage BP Battery setup and then giving someone Slow World. Enemies (even bosses) generally ended up not being able to act at all every other turn, while my characters would be fine because the Red Mage kept feeding them BP.

I was completely in love with Bushido ever since the demo, so the idea of the enemy attacking twice as often and therefore hitting themselves in the face twice as often was too appealing to pass up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

I was completely in love with Bushido ever since the demo, so the idea of the enemy attacking twice as often and therefore hitting themselves in the face twice as often was too appealing to pass up.

Huh, I never thought of trying that. That sounds really fun. Maybe I'll load up my endgame save and give that a try just to see how hilarious that is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When is Bravely Second coming out? That's getting an NA release, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harrow posted:

I never really liked Hasten World because it worked on enemies, too.

That's why it's good. Bosses will use the same pattern of attacks every single turn if they have extra BP so if you can outheal it you'll never lose.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

When is Bravely Second coming out? That's getting an NA release, right?

Uncomfirmed, but likely, one would imagine.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

We'll probably get a release window come next Nintendo Direct, which should be soonish? Last one was middle of January, so.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

Uncomfirmed, but likely, one would imagine.

Iirc Square has said nothing but Nintendo has already said they'll localize it if Square doesn't (Nintendo did the localization of the first one for NA, iirc.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

That's why it's good. Bosses will use the same pattern of attacks every single turn if they have extra BP so if you can outheal it you'll never lose.

I can see how that would work now that you mention it. As long you either dedicate a character to healing or make your whole team physical attackers abusing the Blood Blade (which is the right choice), you can probably survive anything, especially if someone has a Salve-Maker sub to throw Giant's Draft.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Square Enix Showcased Artwork For “Final Fantasy Type-Next"

The artwork seems underwhelming. It's more like a grab bag of ideas instead of anything corrosively put together.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

To be clear: Some of those are just pictures of Hong Kong with the dude in them, and aren't representative of the actual game/concept.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean I'd be all for a Type-0 sequel that was much less janky because it didn't start out as a PSP game. Cyber samurai is as good a concept as any.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
All this ffxiv talk has me wanting to do at least a run through its story with some friends. Few questions.

Does the ps3 version run on the same servers as the pc version like ffxi?

Expansion will be on ps4? That sounds wonky to transition.

For pc, will a mid range one handle it if I make everything ugly? I know there are benchmarks, but I am usually in their grey area where they are less helpful.

Where do I look to catch sales? There a blog like gw2?

Edit phone typos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Healbot posted:

Unless this is perfectly set up you will lose more than half the BP generated this way due to the cap.

There are abilities that use BP so you can go from Max to -3 in a turn then have the red Mage top you up again